Photo

Will 2014 Ravens look like the 2011 Ravens?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RAVENSNAYSHUN

RAVENSNAYSHUN

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

Obviously since we don't even know what the new playbook will look like until Week 1, this is all theoretically speaking, but... 

With all the talk about new Offensive Coordinator Kubiak's philosophy of run first, play-action passes, and quick routes to TEs, coupled with the current Ravens players in key positions, one could hypothesize about what our team, or at least our offense, will look like in 2014. So, with that said, will 2014 Ravens look like the 2011 Ravens?

Here's why I think so...

Let's start with the run. Ray Rice had 1,300+ yards on the ground in 2011. 

If Kubiak's philosophy is run first, then Rice could duplicate this stat in 2014.

Now on to the pass. Ed Dickson was our "Pitta' in 2011 with 50+ rec and 500+ yards. The Pitta/Dickson tandem combined for 900+ yards and 8 TDs in 2011.If Kubiak's philosophy is play-action passes to TEs on quick routes, I think this can be duplicated by the Pitta/Daniels combo in 2014.   

Staying with the pass, if you rely heavily on the run then play-action will open up routes for not only our TEs but our WRs(and Rice) as well. So with that said, Boldin had 800+ yards, Torrey had 800+ yards and Ray Rice had 700+ receiving yards in 2011. I also think that can be duplicated again with Torrey, Smitty, and Rice in 2014.

All I'm saying is the Ravens personnel plus Kubiak's play-calling reputation could make a great match in 2014 and the offense could look like we did in 2011 when the Ravens should have clearly gone to the Super Bowl and won the franchise's second Lombardi trophy.

#2 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

If I am not mistaken, the 2011 Ravens defense was the 3rd best overall in the league that year. We were #12 in 2013, which is still better than the league average, but not exceptional. Therefore if we are to recreate the 2011 team (which in my opinion was more talented than any of the teams we fielded over the last two seasons), the work starts on defense.

I do think that it's a bit naïve to expect Rice to have over 700 receiving yards again this season. I still think that we can get a couple more good years out of Rice, but his best days are behind him. But our first priority on offense should be the O-line. If we patch that up this season, a lot of other stuff starts to fall into place. Assuming we don't draft a starting WR, I think it reasonable that Steve Smith will have between 600-700 receiving yards, but Torrey is capable of another 1,000 yard season. All together it could equal about what Boldin and Torrey put up combined that year.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#3 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,262 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

I don't think our defence will look nearly as good (to be fair, we did play some pretty hopeless QBs that year), but our offence should be significantly better.

I also don't think our offence will look like the mid-2000s to mid-2010s Texans any more than it will look like the Broncos from the mid-1990s to mid-2000s. Our team's different to both of them, and I expect he'll be working on something to fit those strengths.

#4 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

I think the D will be much better. A fully healthy Webb and Jimmy Smith…good luck QBs

No idea about the offense

#5 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

We should get a better look after the draft.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#6 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,083 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

I think we'll be better than last year but that 2011 team was one of our best ever. I don't think we'll be quite that good.

#7 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

Obviously since we don't even know what the new playbook will look like until Week 1, this is all theoretically speaking, but... 

With all the talk about new Offensive Coordinator Kubiak's philosophy of run first, play-action passes, and quick routes to TEs, coupled with the current Ravens players in key positions, one could hypothesize about what our team, or at least our offense, will look like in 2014. So, with that said, will 2014 Ravens look like the 2011 Ravens?

Here's why I think so...

Let's start with the run. Ray Rice had 1,300+ yards on the ground in 2011. 

If Kubiak's philosophy is run first, then Rice could duplicate this stat in 2014.

Now on to the pass. Ed Dickson was our "Pitta' in 2011 with 50+ rec and 500+ yards. The Pitta/Dickson tandem combined for 900+ yards and 8 TDs in 2011.If Kubiak's philosophy is play-action passes to TEs on quick routes, I think this can be duplicated by the Pitta/Daniels combo in 2014.   

Staying with the pass, if you rely heavily on the run then play-action will open up routes for not only our TEs but our WRs(and Rice) as well. So with that said, Boldin had 800+ yards, Torrey had 800+ yards and Ray Rice had 700+ receiving yards in 2011. I also think that can be duplicated again with Torrey, Smitty, and Rice in 2014.

All I'm saying is the Ravens personnel plus Kubiak's play-calling reputation could make a great match in 2014 and the offense could look like we did in 2011 when the Ravens should have clearly gone to the Super Bowl and won the franchise's second Lombardi trophy.

Bold Offensive Predictions:

Pierce and Rice both rush for 900+ yds each (Rice is suspended 2-4 games). 

Daniels and Pitta combine for 1,200+ yd and 14 TDs 

Flacco passes for 4,000+ yds(maybe even 4,500+ yds) and 30 TDs while keeping interceptions low

Torrey goes for 1100+ yds and 5-8 TDs

Steve Smith has 850+ yds and 3-5 TDs

Marlon has  700-800 yds and 5-8 TDs

Jacoby stays primarily PR/KR with very little receiving

Rookie WR undetermined has 500+ yds (OBJ, Marquis Lee, Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, or Jarvis Landry most likely).

Flacco, Pitta, Yanda, and Monroe make the Pro Bowl. Torrey close but no dice.

Edited by ravensnick, 24 April 2014 - 11:05 AM.

Owner/GM/Coach of the Shaolin Cuban Lynx

Diggs (Quandre) and Diggs(Stefon) 2015!

#8 Dr. Kelley

Dr. Kelley

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

No, but wishful thinking

#9 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

No, but wishful thinking

I'd wager that at least two of those predictions will happen. Maybe even more. i think 1,200+ yd and 14 tds from pitta and daniels is very reasonable because the two were on pace for a combined 1482.4 yds and 14 tds over a whole season, but had injuries. Flacco should get 4,000 yds this year. This is by far his best receiving corp and we will probably add a talented rookie as well. Smith should have around 850-900 yds and 3-5 tds. Marlons and Torrey's number are similar to there stats last year. I think Pierce breaksout while rice is suspended and then Rice comes back to split carries evenly. 

Edited by ravensnick, 24 April 2014 - 11:22 AM.

Owner/GM/Coach of the Shaolin Cuban Lynx

Diggs (Quandre) and Diggs(Stefon) 2015!

#10 RAVENSNAYSHUN

RAVENSNAYSHUN

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I'm glad most of you think that our 2011 team was one of our best teams. I agree. Better than our '12-'13 Super Bowl team, even. And to just think about the back-to-back possibility sickens me. Smh But I digress... We had a good defense that season, true. But I think our defense this season has the potential to turn to top 10.  This combined with an what some are saying is the best set of receivers this franchise has seen and a run first mentality led me to ask this question. I thought it was very intriguing if you look at the numbers and the personnel.  

@display name  I think it's fair to say I'm naïve to think RR can get 700 receiving yards again, however, he's had 3 seasons with 550+ receiving yards and 2 of those were 700+ in his 6 years as a pro(and remember, he didn't play very much his rookie year and he was hurt last year). Maybe 700 is optimistic, but I wouldn't call it naïve. Let's say he gets 500 receiving yards and 1,200 yards on the ground. 2,000 is better but 1,700 is still admirable. Maybe the 300 yards is made up between Torrey, Smitty, Pitta, and Brown.

@Inqui I agree, Kubiak will put something together that works to our strengths. But from what they've allowed us to know so far is what his overall philosophy is which is run first, play-action, bootlegs, and quick routes. I think our personnel, on paper, will do well under this philosophy which is why I think it will look similar to the 2011 Ravens.

@Cville-Raven I agree, I think our D will look better. As far as our offense, I can only say this... knock on wood... hopefully we'll have a full season of Pitta, an improved receiving corp, and an embarrassed(in more than one way) and hungry Rice. So there's no reason for me to think that they won't improve.

@ratedr I agree, that 2011 team was so good... they had talent, confidence, and trusted each other on both sides of the ball. That was a really tough loss at the end of that season... still smh 

@ravensnick I'll take those stats any year. They are pretty bold but the ones I see that are realistically attainable are Rice/Pierce 900+ yards (even with a 4-game suspension)... Flacco for 4000 yards, I say 28-30 TDs and "low" INTs... Torrey for 1,100 yards w/ 5-8 TDs...Smith for 850 yards w/ 3-5 TDs... Brown for 700+ yards w/ 5-8 TDs...  

@Dr. Kelley Maybe just a little wishful thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users