Photo

Offseason Grades- Who has improved themself the most in the Off Season?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

Certainly Not Rolondo McClain.

I wish we could get more inside reports on what guys are doing to better themselves this off season. I would like to see who is not just collecting a paycheck, and who takes his job/skills/fitness seriously.
If I had to pick, I would say Eugene Monroe.

If you guys find any articles on other players off season regimen, please post them in here.
DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!

#2 757RavensFan

757RavensFan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

Based off earlier reports it appears as though Kelechi Osemele has put in serious work to recover from his back injury and to be a dominant LG.

#3 RavensNation14

RavensNation14

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

http://www.baltimore...94-6cd32824ff9d

Not a big time player, but I think Tyrod Taylor has been working hard this offseaon. He was training with Colin Kaepernick and Jimmy Smith was there for one of the workouts too. 

http://hiw.me/JeffGa...348895980490752

Also here's a link of Tyrod working out with Jeff Garcia. Seems to me like he knows that he isn't going to get by on just his natural talent anymore. I would like him to stay here he's a great guy and hard worker.

Edited by RavensNation14, 19 April 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#4 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,439 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

Elam's been working hard at footlocker. ;)

I saw a video of Webb training and he looked really good.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#5 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:51 PM

http://www.baltimore...94-6cd32824ff9d

Not a big time player, but I think Tyrod Taylor has been working hard this offseaon. He was training with Colin Kaepernick and Jimmy Smith was there for one of the workouts too. 

http://hiw.me/JeffGa...348895980490752

Also here's a link of Tyrod working out with Jeff Garcia. Seems to me like he knows that he isn't going to get by on just his natural talent anymore. I would like him to stay here he's a great guy and hard worker.

For a backup QB, the man sure keeps himself in shape and working.

#6 allblackraven

allblackraven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

Ray Rice has been working really hard, apparently. He's trimmed some of the extra muscle bulk. For obvious reasons there isn't much coverage apart from that short Instagram video recently shown on our site.

#7 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,238 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

We won't know until the first pre-season game.

bJNF689.jpg

#8 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

We won't know until the first pre-season game.

Well OTAs are coming up which could give a clue, but yeah.

I think this thread is premature. No way to tell yet. All these workout videos you guys see? That's normal. That's just what football players do this time of year, and I'm sorry to say that's no indication of improvement. 

#9 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,063 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

It's sounding like KO has really stepped up his game. I'm not sure if he's improved but he sure sounds dedicated.

#10 Tenacious Faulker

Tenacious Faulker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

We haven't seen any performance as of yet, but I read that Furstenburg was at the Castle early every day this off season.  The team loves to see that work ethic, but we'll see how the draft shakes out.  With Dickson gone he could end up the 3rd TE with mainly blocking duties.  

Pitta was supposed to have been working on his blocking.

Tyrod Taylor was working out with Pro Bowler Jeff Garcia this off season who would be a good mentor for his style of play.

Brandon Williams was reportedly getting in better over all shape this off season in expectation of sealing the starting position after Art Jones left for Indy.  He looked pretty jacked in his Instagram pic.

And not that it matters much now but Gino Gradkowski was supposedly working hard this off season with some coach/mentor to improve his read, reaction, strength and footwork.  But at this point I think it may just be good enough for a b/u role behind Zuttah.

“Attack this day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind”  

~ Harbaugh family creed

#11 tolucaraven

tolucaraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:10 PM

Ray Rice, no question. He has a lot to prove and $ depending on it. He was fat and out shape coming into last season.

#12 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,063 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

We haven't seen any performance as of yet, but I read that Furstenburg was at the Castle early every day this off season.  The team loves to see that work ethic, but we'll see how the draft shakes out.  With Dickson gone he could end up the 3rd TE with mainly blocking duties.  

Pitta was supposed to have been working on his blocking.

Tyrod Taylor was working out with Pro Bowler Jeff Garcia this off season who would be a good mentor for his style of play.

Brandon Williams was reportedly getting in better over all shape this off season in expectation of sealing the starting position after Art Jones left for Indy.  He looked pretty jacked in his Instagram pic.

And not that it matters much now but Gino Gradkowski was supposedly working hard this off season with some coach/mentor to improve his read, reaction, strength and footwork.  But at this point I think it may just be good enough for a b/u role behind Zuttah.

I think Gradkowski is underrated in some ways. I wouldn't be surprised if we used him. I think he could be a decent LG, at least better than Shipley was last year. Considering that I saw Gino better as a pass protector than a run blocker, I think he's actually suited for LG. Sandwiched between Monroe and Zuttah, I think Gino could be an effective player. That is if we moved KO to RT or something.

#13 BOLDnPurPnBlacK

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:23 PM

What are we supposed to be basing this on? Pictures and short video clips??

There's not really much to discuss...
Google me.

#14 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

Gerrard Sheppard has been working with Boldin. That should be good. Hope he makes the team.

I know one player who is catching a lot of crap for not having a better off season AKA NOT setting up a practice facility for him and his receiving corps even though the coaches urged him too...

Seriously, they talk about it everyday on the radio. But what can you really do when you don't have a play book?

Edited by Alexir, 20 April 2014 - 09:21 AM.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#15 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

At this point that's impossible to say. Most guys haven't been doing anything, they take time off and then slowly get back into it. Ngata has been posting videos of him hitting the gym. Doesn't mean he's gonna be a different player next year but maybe a little more motivated. I noticed in the last few years that a lot of times he sort of just does a QB spy type thing. He runs into a lineman at the LOS, then just stands there and reads the QB while swatting away the hands of the lineman. Not sure what that is. Lack of effort or him doing his job, but I don't see any other lineman do this, no matter what team they play for. Watt, Wilkerson, Richardson, Atkins, Harrison, whatever. They don't just stand there after the snap and read the QB and basically do nothing for the entire play.

Edited by Bullrush, 20 April 2014 - 10:14 AM.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#16 Tenacious Faulker

Tenacious Faulker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

I think Gradkowski is underrated in some ways. I wouldn't be surprised if we used him. I think he could be a decent LG, at least better than Shipley was last year. Considering that I saw Gino better as a pass protector than a run blocker, I think he's actually suited for LG. Sandwiched between Monroe and Zuttah, I think Gino could be an effective player. That is if we moved KO to RT or something.

It's possible if K.O.'s back is a better and Wagner/FA/rookie isn't cutting it.  I don't think we've seen his best football yet, but I do think he has a limited ceiling.  Him starting will depend on a few "ifs".

~ Harbaugh family creed

#17 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,063 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

It's possible if K.O.'s back is a better and Wagner/FA/rookie isn't cutting it.  I don't think we've seen his best football yet, but I do think he has a limited ceiling.  Him starting will depend on a few "ifs".

Yeah. I still think Gradkowski could be a decent LG at worst. That's not a bad thing, especially when you consider who he will have around him. I think his biggest issue was the calls and his strength. He just wasn't strong enough to beat those large NTs and kept getting pushed back, which is surprising considering how he handled Atkins the year before. Still, there's hope for him.

#18 Tenacious Faulker

Tenacious Faulker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

Yeah. I still think Gradkowski could be a decent LG at worst. That's not a bad thing, especially when you consider who he will have around him. I think his biggest issue was the calls and his strength. He just wasn't strong enough to beat those large NTs and kept getting pushed back, which is surprising considering how he handled Atkins the year before. Still, there's hope for him.

Well, Birk has faith in him so that's a good endorsement.  He's also versatile enough to fit in at guard and center which the Ravens (and Kubiak) like.  He'll get his shot.

~ Harbaugh family creed

#19 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

At this point that's impossible to say. Most guys haven't been doing anything, they take time off and then slowly get back into it. Ngata has been posting videos of him hitting the gym. Doesn't mean he's gonna be a different player next year but maybe a little more motivated. I noticed in the last few years that a lot of times he sort of just does a QB spy type thing. He runs into a lineman at the LOS, then just stands there and reads the QB while swatting away the hands of the lineman. Not sure what that is. Lack of effort or him doing his job, but I don't see any other lineman do this, no matter what team they play for. Watt, Wilkerson, Richardson, Atkins, Harrison, whatever. They don't just stand there after the snap and read the QB and basically do nothing for the entire play.

This brings up a good point to me. A lot of us, myself included, get on Ngata for what we consider a lack of production, yet none of us actually know what he's asked to do each game. Not just him, but a lot of players. Each vameplan is different and we don't know if the lersons just not playing well or maybe a dip in the stats is by design for what they're doing to get other guys more opportunities.

Anyway, KO I think will be back in leak form. I think we might see a real nasty o line.

#20 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

Some good news on Rice:

With his legal troubles creating an uncertain future, Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice has been committed to what he can control: lose weight and get back to full strength after a hip injury derailed him last season. Rice is attending the start of the Ravens' offseason conditioning program and is impressing the team's staff. "He looks great," strength and conditioning coach Bob Rogucki told reporters Tuesday.

For more: http://espn.go.com/n...on-conditioning

Edited by Bullrush, 22 April 2014 - 04:04 PM.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users