Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rmw10

Ravens exercise 2015 option on Jimmy Smith

43 posts in this topic

I would've liked a longer deal, but I guess this is okay.

It's a placeholder in order to give us some extra time to work out a long term deal since we have Torrey to deal with as well.

Was a little worried about not picking his option early.

I'm glad our FO took their due dilignce taking time and not rushing things.

I'm hoping jimmy keep growing. The man is going to be good.

Good news. The beauty of first round picks is that 5th year option. Way less than the franchise tag and gives us another year before he gets seriously paid. And who knows, by 2015 we might have to do something with Webb's contract as well.

Fully expected, but good news nonetheless. Looking forward to him becoming a top notch lockdown corner next season and hopefully we'll make him a Raven for at least the next 5 years.

I'm glad we did this because it makes Jimmy more affordable for another year. This is big because he's going to be a big part of our future plans on defense. He's going to get extended it's just a matter of when

I look forward to seeing him expand on the steps he took last season towards becoming one of the best CBs in the NFL. Now we also have to see if we can get an extension for Torrey Smith done. Torrey was picked one round later in the same draft but is at least as valuable.

I suspect this means we'll focus on Torrey next offseason. Our list of FAs doesn't exactly look like it'll provide the FO with a real headache: Terrence Cody again, Owen Daniels, Pernell McPhee, Jah Reid, Chykie Brown, Tyrod Taylor, Justin Tucker (RFA) are the big ones.

I suspect this means we'll focus on Torrey next offseason. Our list of FAs doesn't exactly look like it'll provide the FO with a real headache: Terrence Cody again, Owen Daniels, Pernell McPhee, Jah Reid, Chykie Brown, Tyrod Taylor, Justin Tucker (RFA) are the big ones.

If we can get Torrey locked into a extension, that means we really only have one super critically FA next year and that would be the kicker. Got love our FO.

Edited by ravensnick

I'm glad they took the extra year option instead of resigning him to a long term deal. It makes Smith prove that he wasn't a one year wonder.

Good article explaining how good he has really become... http://www.purplerei...it-jimmy-smith 

Here's a chart in it showing Jimmy against these top WR's:

Week         Receiver        Thrown At            Receptions      Yds 

9             Josh Gordon           0                            0               0

10               AJ Green             1                            0               0

11         Brandon Marshall      5                            2              16

11           Alshon Jeffery         1                             1               8

13           Antonio Brown         2                             1               2

Combined              9                             4              26

Edited by ravefan52

Good article explaining how good he has really become... 

Wow, good call. This chart explains in data what my eyes saw when he played these guys. Very impressive, truthfully, he has become, and is, one of the most underrated defensive players in the game. I believe this is the year he becomes a NFL wide known name. 

Good article explaining how good he has really become... http://www.purplerei...it-jimmy-smith 

Here's a chart in it showing Jimmy against these top WR's:

Week         Receiver        Thrown At            Receptions      Yds 

9             Josh Gordon           0                            0               0

10               AJ Green             1                            0               0

11         Brandon Marshall      5                            2              16

11           Alshon Jeffery         1                             1               8

13           Antonio Brown         2                             1               2

Combined              9                             4              26

Chuck in Megatron and those numbers probably look even more impressive.

Wow, good call. This chart explains in data what my eyes saw when he played these guys. Very impressive, truthfully, he has become, and is, one of the most underrated defensive players in the game. I believe this is the year he becomes a NFL wide known name. 

Yeah those are elite CB numbers if you ask me

Yeah those are elite CB numbers if you ask me

So glad I stuck by him.  All of those people that called him a bust look silly now.

So glad I stuck by him.  All of those people that called him a bust look silly now.

Yeah really! You always have to wait at least 3 years before calling a player a bust

I was so dead set on the Ravens snagging him in the draft. I cannot even say how happy I am to have him as a Raven.

Edited by BmoreBird22

Yeah really! You always have to wait at least 3 years before calling a player a bust

I agree here, and I think this is a lesson we're going to learn with Elam. Give him at least two more seasons before piling on the hate.

Jimmy doesn't get the INTs, but you be hardpressed to see a guy face up to the same WRs that Jimmy did and hold they down. Johnson, Gordon twice, Green twice, Brown twice, Demaryius Thomas, Andre Johnson, brandon Marshall, and Alshon Jeffrey.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000346036/best-worst-picks-for-first-32-draft-slots-over-last-10-years

Wow #27 makes absolutely no sense. Does NFL.com even look at stats? Jimmy Smith shut down receivers all last year

Whoever did that article should lose their job asap. Burger flipper…really? SMH

also LMAO on the Michael Oher honorable mention

Edited by Cville-Raven