BBoogieMan

Ravens who must bounce back / step up in 2014?

56 posts in this topic

What player(s) you feel must step up their game next season? Veterans who may have fell off or taken a step back. And rookies or 2nd year players who most need to prove themselves.

Ngata would be the easy pick for vet, IMO. But, between injury and a perceived lack of hunger, I don't expect too much from him anymore, certainly not the Ngata of 5 yrs ago. If he's planning to retire soon or not sign w/another team, can't blame him for not restructuring his current contract. But, that tells me something. Sizzle's contract restructure and his entering camp last yr in terrific shape...being a recent DPOY tells me at least his heart is in football and being a Raven4life so I wouldn't say him. My vet picks would be Rice and Pierce. Despite OL issues, Pierce just seemed soft to me and Ray's in redemption mode, on & off the field.

Newbies? I would say Elam, Wagner, & Brandon Williams. Elam's high draft status & intended switch to his natural SS position; Wagner's fight for starting RT, and Williams' coming from a small school and being traded up for...I'm anxious to see what this kid can do in a full season.

I would love for Marlon to prove that last season wasn't a fluke.

I think we're ALL challenging our O-line this season.

And on Defense I want to see Upshaw play better. He had a pretty good rookie campaign and we were all expecting more than what we brought last season. 

Flacco and Ngata are the obvious 2, Rice if he plays the full 16 games is the other.  Brandon Williams I think will have to as I see him getting more snaps and Ngata less, and especially now that the plan seems to be to move Ngata outside more.  Sizzle needs to start playing the second half of the season like the first half - he's really shown wear by mid-season the last few years.  Guys who need to step up, as opposed to getting back - Marlon Brown as I expect his role to increase, whatever rookie WR/TE we add, whoever fills the 3rd CB slot, and whoever fills the RT and LG spots.

Edited by Ravenslifer

Flacco, Rice/Pierce and KO on offense. Ngata, Arthur Brown (step up, not bounce back), and Webb on defense. Webb was the only one from that group who wasn't a total disappointment, but I would love for him to bounce back to where he was before his injury and have lock-down corners on both sides.

Basically everyone but Jimmy, Daryl and Jacoby (as a returner) played like garbage. I say they all need to bounce back. How we made 8-8 last year is beyond me. 

Rice, Wagner and Juszcyk are my picks for offence. We'll chuck in KO while we're at it.

Defensively, I'd like to see Suggs do well consistently and Arthur Brown earn a starter's jersey. Can't really argue with Ngata either.

Oline, Ngata, Flacco, Rice, Oline, Flacco, Oline, Flacco, Flacco, Oline, and Flacco.

I would have to agree with everyone here.  I would also like to add Upshaw.    He's going into his 3rd year.  I really feel like he could be a great player but hasn't quite showed it.

I would have to say Webb...I know he was coming off a knee repair but he was abused quite a bit last year.

Edited by 757RavensFan

Shorter list would be who doesn't...

D Smith, J Smith, J Tucker, and?

the cheerleaders my god they were awesome!!! :P lol idk tht is pretty much it

Oline, Ngata, Flacco, Rice, Oline, Flacco, Oline, Flacco, Flacco, Oline, and Flacco.

I'd also toss Elam's name in there a few times

Ray Rice for obvious reasons, Flacco for obvious reasons, and Ngata as well. He is going to have an interesting situation next year since the Ravens would save 8.5 mil by cutting him so if his performance is not worth that 16 mil cap hit next year, they could have him take a pay cut/extension or cut/trade him.

Shorter list would be who doesn't...

D Smith, J Smith, J Tucker, and?

MUCH shorter list for sure.

I would show grace to all the rookies obviously. Second year players SHOULD bounce back, not MUST

Everyone else is on notice.

Ray Rice and Joe Flacco.   

Paid like kings, and performed like complete bums last season.

All eyes are on them and whether they like it or not, if they perform like duds next season, they are canned.  

I would also add Juan Castillo there too.   I never seen a drop-off of our lineman like last season.   Fortunately, our Oline seems to be working hard offseason.   Hopefully we see some fruition in few month.

KO and Webb. 

RR could be at the top of the list, but I'm thinking his return to form is not as important.

Flacco must step it up.  Some call me a hater but I acknowledge he made some positive strides last season, unfortunately he regressed or didn't make improvements in other areas of his game. End result a poor season.

Rice, I hope for the Ravens sake injury was the sole culprit in his poor year. That was as bad as I've seen an NFL back play over the course of a season.

Koch, I'll be surprised if he's on the roster this year.

Offensive line needs to play as a cohesive unit. Too many times last season we witnessed a free defender get unfettered shots at the quarterback in non blitzing situations.

Castillo- enough said.

Flacco, Rice, Pierce, Ngata and Dumervil

#Mili

Pretty much who I was going say ha.  Problem is, In order for Doom to bounce back...T-sizzles going have to handle tripe teams

Flacco must step it up. Some call me a hater but I acknowledge he made some positive strides last season, unfortunately he regressed or didn't make improvements in other areas of his game. End result a poor season.

Rice, I hope for the Ravens sake injury was the sole culprit in his poor year. That was as bad as I've seen an NFL back play over the course of a season.

Koch, I'll be surprised if he's on the roster this year.

Offensive line needs to play as a cohesive unit. Too many times last season we witnessed a free defender get unfettered shots at the quarterback in non blitzing situations.

Castillo- enough said.

Well said, and you didn't even get to the defensive side of the ball. Our team needs a lot of work, but at least we didn't drop completely out of relevance last year like Atl, Hou, Was, etc. I guess that's a silver lining?

I expect Flacco, Rice, Pierce, Oline, Suggs and Ngata to bounce back. I expect Juszczyk, Brandon Williams, Chykie Brown, Asa Jackson and DeAngelo Tyson to step up. I want Adrian Hamilton, John Simon and Aaron Mellette to step up, however it may be unrealistic due to team depth. Also I'll throw Omar Brown's name in there, but I don't think he'll ever be a starter. I want him to though.

Let's face it, everyone except Jimmy Smith, Daryl Smith, and maybe Eugene Monroe needs to bounce back and step up. Everyone else played below their standards or expectations. Everyone. 

And those two need to keep it up.

Edited by The Raven

Let's face it, everyone except Jimmy Smith and maybe Eugene Monroe needs to bounce back and step up. Everyone else played below their standards or expectations. Everyone.

And those two need to keep it up.

What about poor ol' Daryl Smith?

The people at the top of this list need to be Ngata, Suggs, Webb, Pitta, Flacco and Rice. Starts with them. Highest earners and some of the longest tenured players on the team. As others have said though, basically everyone not named Smith or Tucker.