194 replies to this topic

#1 Tenacious Faulker

Tenacious Faulker

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:00 PM

Is Torrey Smith a true #1 receiver?  He is one of my favorite Ravens.  However, it took him 4 season to break 1000 receiving yards.  And when he did it was on the strength of his first 5 games were he notched 556 yard and had two back-to-back 100yd games and ranked first over that time.  However, his final 8 games, by comparison, was just 499 yard ranking 29th in that time.   

While 2013 was his best reason y far, he showed his inconsistency.  Could it be that the Ravens now see him as a true #2 and are looking to land a top WR in the draft out on the other side of him?

Edited by Tenacious Faulker, 08 April 2014 - 07:23 AM.

“Attack this day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind”  

~ Harbaugh family creed

#2 Sami84

Sami84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

no. Hes a number 2. Period.

#3 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

By my definition, yes.  To me all being a number 1 receiver means is that you can beat number 1 corners, and Torrey can do that.  Does that make him an "elite" receiver like AJ Green or Megatron, no, but Stevie Johnson isn't in their league either, and I'd still consider him a number 1 receiver.  Depends on how you define the term.  I thought Derrick Mason was a solid number 1 for a while, number 1 to me just means that you can consistently find a way to get open and make a catch, not necessarily that you're playing at a pro bowl level.

Edited by Ravenslifer, 07 April 2014 - 09:06 PM.

#4 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,627 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

He's close. I don't think he is. He's not reliable enough yet. 

#5 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,030 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

He is the best WR on the team, but he isn't a #1 WR.  I love Torrey, but he is a #2 WR.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

I guess we can all agree Crush is the best then lol

Twitter

#6 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

In an offense that required you to only take him away he had his best season. Yes, he's a number 1. Said it beforeand will say it again. The only thing Torrey doesn't have on those other guys is height. He is just as athletic and has pretty damn good hands. It seems there are only 4 receivers in the league the way people talk. I have a feeling you put Torrey on GB or NO and people would have a much different opinion about him

#7 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

The Steelers put Ike Taylor on Torrey even when we had Boldin so IMO he is a #1. 

In Ozzie We Trust

#8 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,672 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

I thought he was becoming one early last season. He didn't close it out like I thought he would. Would call him a high #2.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#9 Inqui

Inqui

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

I'd call him a 1.5. He's too good to be a 2, but I don't think he takes over games like you'd want a 1 to do. If the Steelers are down by 6 and driving down the field, you'd back them to feed Antonio Brown when they can, but I don't feel like Torrey has that kind of presence (yet).

All depends on how you define a #1 WR too I suppose. I've seen the definition floated of being the kind of player teams have to plan their defence around. It's just like the "Is XXX QB elite?" debate imo.

Proud Jerry Jones equivalent of The Rains of Castamere

#10 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

For me a #1 receiver is someone who will consistently catch balls in their radius regardless of if it's contested or thrown poorly, a #1 should also be a chain mover and red zone option, by those definitions Torrey is not a #1 but a reliable, playmaking, after the catch #2.

#11 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:31 PM

I don't think he's a true #1 because of limitations like struggling against press coverage, but there were so many games last year where I felt like we just needed to get the ball in his hands more.  He's underrated after the catch.

I'd also call him a high #2.

#12 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

He is the best WR on the team, but he isn't a #1 WR. I love Torrey, but he is a #2 WR.

Well said. Just because he's the best on the team, doesn't mean he's a number 1. This is the best draft to try and land that guy. Fingers crossed...

#13 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

He's not a guy you can throw the ball to and let him do the work, nor is he a guy you can throw the ball near and can count on to come down with it. He isn't a matchup nightmare nor does he break tackles. What does Torrey do well besides run fast? I'm not sure. All our receivers suck at that, so maybe it's coaching. But right now Torrey doesn't do much right besides have considerable speed.

Anyone who thinks he's a #1 has forgotten all the balls he's either dropped, mishandled, or failed to come down with because there was a CB in the area. Honestly, he's not very far ahead of Jacoby as a WR, and Jacoby was the Texans' #2 when the Texans were complaining that they didn't have a good #2 receiver.

#14 Bruce_Almty

Bruce_Almty

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

My problem with Torrey ---->>> 4 TDs

#15 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:48 PM

My problem with Torrey ---->>> 4 TDs

I think that number will definitely go up this year though.  He was at 7 and 8 his first two seasons.

#16 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

I think a #1 receiver is a top 32 receiver in the league. I won't call him an elite guy but he is a serviceable #1 IMO. I do think he would be deadly as a #2 however without the best cover guy on him

In Ozzie We Trust

#17 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,551 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:50 AM

He's not a guy you can throw the ball to and let him do the work, nor is he a guy you can throw the ball near and can count on to come down with it. He isn't a matchup nightmare nor does he break tackles. What does Torrey do well besides run fast? I'm not sure. All our receivers suck at that, so maybe it's coaching. But right now Torrey doesn't do much right besides have considerable speed.

Anyone who thinks he's a #1 has forgotten all the balls he's either dropped, mishandled, or failed to come down with because there was a CB in the area. Honestly, he's not very far ahead of Jacoby as a WR, and Jacoby was the Texans' #2 when the Texans were complaining that they didn't have a good #2 receiver.

I would also add how many opportunities were missed because he still struggles to track the ball.

Torrey is an average #2, whatever that means

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#18 RaineV1

RaineV1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:31 AM

Torrey is a pretty good #2 who's at his best when there's another guy at least on his level on the other side of the offense. Like others have said, this is why I hope the Ravens do go after one of the possible top end receivers in this draft (Lee, OBJ, Cooks, Allen Robinson, Mathews). Guys that can draw some coverage away from Torrey.

#19 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:26 AM

He is a number one, just not in the mold of Calvin Johnson. You don't have to be 6'5 to be considered a true number one receiver, look at Steve Smith...
Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#20 Tru11

Tru11

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:00 AM

he is a #1 WR......

even with boldin and pitta teams where still focused on him and he drew the top corner of the other team.

when he saw single coverage he teared it up but after that he saw alot of double and triple coverage so there isent much you can do unless you get perfect passes thrown to you.

Also unlike some here i dont think you can place to much blame on him.

Receivers depend on their QB to get them the ball and i watch the QB (name is taboo here) over throw and under throw him alot.

Heck i saw simple slant routes where he was wide open and the pass was behind him and such.

everyone expect a guy like torrey to go up and get balls out of the air like big guys like megatron , fitz , marshall or jefrey but that seems rather unfair since that isent his strong point....

you hi torrey smith in stride and he will get alot of yards after the catch.

lets hope kubiak has him run more routes then we have seen him run so far.

Im not bashing the QB btw so if you want to make excuses for him please dont reply to me.

im not looking for warnings.

dq0w81.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users