Tenacious Faulker

Is Torrey Smith a true #1 receiver?

195 posts in this topic

Is Torrey Smith a true #1 receiver?  He is one of my favorite Ravens.  However, it took him 4 season to break 1000 receiving yards.  And when he did it was on the strength of his first 5 games were he notched 556 yard and had two back-to-back 100yd games and ranked first over that time.  However, his final 8 games, by comparison, was just 499 yard ranking 29th in that time.   

While 2013 was his best reason y far, he showed his inconsistency.  Could it be that the Ravens now see him as a true #2 and are looking to land a top WR in the draft out on the other side of him?

Edited by Tenacious Faulker

By my definition, yes.  To me all being a number 1 receiver means is that you can beat number 1 corners, and Torrey can do that.  Does that make him an "elite" receiver like AJ Green or Megatron, no, but Stevie Johnson isn't in their league either, and I'd still consider him a number 1 receiver.  Depends on how you define the term.  I thought Derrick Mason was a solid number 1 for a while, number 1 to me just means that you can consistently find a way to get open and make a catch, not necessarily that you're playing at a pro bowl level.

Edited by Ravenslifer

In an offense that required you to only take him away he had his best season. Yes, he's a number 1. Said it beforeand will say it again. The only thing Torrey doesn't have on those other guys is height. He is just as athletic and has pretty damn good hands. It seems there are only 4 receivers in the league the way people talk. I have a feeling you put Torrey on GB or NO and people would have a much different opinion about him

I thought he was becoming one early last season. He didn't close it out like I thought he would. Would call him a high #2.

I'd call him a 1.5. He's too good to be a 2, but I don't think he takes over games like you'd want a 1 to do. If the Steelers are down by 6 and driving down the field, you'd back them to feed Antonio Brown when they can, but I don't feel like Torrey has that kind of presence (yet).

All depends on how you define a #1 WR too I suppose. I've seen the definition floated of being the kind of player teams have to plan their defence around. It's just like the "Is XXX QB elite?" debate imo.

For me a #1 receiver is someone who will consistently catch balls in their radius regardless of if it's contested or thrown poorly, a #1 should also be a chain mover and red zone option, by those definitions Torrey is not a #1 but a reliable, playmaking, after the catch #2.

I don't think he's a true #1 because of limitations like struggling against press coverage, but there were so many games last year where I felt like we just needed to get the ball in his hands more.  He's underrated after the catch.

I'd also call him a high #2.

He is the best WR on the team, but he isn't a #1 WR. I love Torrey, but he is a #2 WR.

Well said. Just because he's the best on the team, doesn't mean he's a number 1. This is the best draft to try and land that guy. Fingers crossed...

He's not a guy you can throw the ball to and let him do the work, nor is he a guy you can throw the ball near and can count on to come down with it. He isn't a matchup nightmare nor does he break tackles. What does Torrey do well besides run fast? I'm not sure. All our receivers suck at that, so maybe it's coaching. But right now Torrey doesn't do much right besides have considerable speed.

Anyone who thinks he's a #1 has forgotten all the balls he's either dropped, mishandled, or failed to come down with because there was a CB in the area. Honestly, he's not very far ahead of Jacoby as a WR, and Jacoby was the Texans' #2 when the Texans were complaining that they didn't have a good #2 receiver.

My problem with Torrey ---->>> 4 TDs

I think that number will definitely go up this year though.  He was at 7 and 8 his first two seasons.

I think a #1 receiver is a top 32 receiver in the league. I won't call him an elite guy but he is a serviceable #1 IMO. I do think he would be deadly as a #2 however without the best cover guy on him

He's not a guy you can throw the ball to and let him do the work, nor is he a guy you can throw the ball near and can count on to come down with it. He isn't a matchup nightmare nor does he break tackles. What does Torrey do well besides run fast? I'm not sure. All our receivers suck at that, so maybe it's coaching. But right now Torrey doesn't do much right besides have considerable speed.

Anyone who thinks he's a #1 has forgotten all the balls he's either dropped, mishandled, or failed to come down with because there was a CB in the area. Honestly, he's not very far ahead of Jacoby as a WR, and Jacoby was the Texans' #2 when the Texans were complaining that they didn't have a good #2 receiver.

I would also add how many opportunities were missed because he still struggles to track the ball.

Torrey is an average #2, whatever that means

Torrey is a pretty good #2 who's at his best when there's another guy at least on his level on the other side of the offense. Like others have said, this is why I hope the Ravens do go after one of the possible top end receivers in this draft (Lee, OBJ, Cooks, Allen Robinson, Mathews). Guys that can draw some coverage away from Torrey.

He is a number one, just not in the mold of Calvin Johnson. You don't have to be 6'5 to be considered a true number one receiver, look at Steve Smith...

he is a #1 WR......

even with boldin and pitta teams where still focused on him and he drew the top corner of the other team.

when he saw single coverage he teared it up but after that he saw alot of double and triple coverage so there isent much you can do unless you get perfect passes thrown to you.

Also unlike some here i dont think you can place to much blame on him.

Receivers depend on their QB to get them the ball and i watch the QB (name is taboo here) over throw and under throw him alot.

Heck i saw simple slant routes where he was wide open and the pass was behind him and such.

everyone expect a guy like torrey to go up and get balls out of the air like big guys like megatron , fitz , marshall or jefrey but that seems rather unfair since that isent his strong point....

you hi torrey smith in stride and he will get alot of yards after the catch.

lets hope kubiak has him run more routes then we have seen him run so far.

Im not bashing the QB btw so if you want to make excuses for him please dont reply to me.

im not looking for warnings.

I would also add how many opportunities were missed because he still struggles to track the ball.

And combine that with him running at inconsistent speed. If you watch him on a long route, he speeds up, slows down, speeds up again, etc. The QB has to let fly with no idea where Torrey will be when the ball comes down. When Torrey just flat out runs down the field, the ball hits his hands and it's magic.

And combine that with him running at inconsistent speed. If you watch him on a long route, he speeds up, slows down, speeds up again, etc. The QB has to let fly with no idea where Torrey will be when the ball comes down. When Torrey just flat out runs down the field, the ball hits his hands and it's magic.

Agree, but to be fair, he's probably not sure if the ball is going to be underthrown or overthrown. Distinct possibility its gonna be one of them.

I think we may need to wait until the offense as a whole is functioning before fairly judging Torrey Smith's ability to be a number one, after his first year with that title. Example: Last year Ray Rice didn't look like an NFL starter, not to mention a Pro Bowl running back. Joe certainly didn't look like someone capable of being a Superbowl MVP but he is.

Having a poorly functioning OL, pass protection, and Running game gave secondaries more coverage options to tip the scale in their favor, and they did. After the first few games teams determined that the run game wasn't happening and proceeded to shut down or lessen the threat from Torrey. 

Some may discuss his routes or ability to get open but you must also look at the offense as a whole last year and admit how Joe's accuracy and timing was affected, and Ray's lack of balance (or pierce too) was affected, all caused by the OL and their blocking schemes or lack there of.

Some will hate this following sentence. You can also consider (or not) that Boldin had 1000 yard seasons before coming here and again after he left but never while here. He's too slow, can't get separation, over the hill type of receiver. 

Just saying that maybe we are being too quick to judge and perhaps failing to take Torrey's surround environment (supporting cast) into consideration. If Joe needs support to be at his best, Ray needs support to be at his best, then we should consider that Torrey probably needs support to be at his best.

He isn't a one yet but he has the potential to be.

Despite being from the area he and the quarterback do no offseason passing drills together. I blame that on the quarterback more than Torrey. The quarterback is the guy the organization made the franchise player with his pay day. He therefore should lead by example.

I'm surprised at some of the responses here. The peeps that shovel excuses for the quarterback because of the limitations on the offensive side already have TS key holed not taking into account the possibility that he's still refining his craft.

he is a #1 WR......

even with boldin and pitta teams where still focused on him and he drew the top corner of the other team.

when he saw single coverage he teared it up but after that he saw alot of double and triple coverage so there isent much you can do unless you get perfect passes thrown to you.

Also unlike some here i dont think you can place to much blame on him.

Receivers depend on their QB to get them the ball and i watch the QB (name is taboo here) over throw and under throw him alot.

Heck i saw simple slant routes where he was wide open and the pass was behind him and such.

everyone expect a guy like torrey to go up and get balls out of the air like big guys like megatron , fitz , marshall or jefrey but that seems rather unfair since that isent his strong point....

you hi torrey smith in stride and he will get alot of yards after the catch.

lets hope kubiak has him run more routes then we have seen him run so far.

Im not bashing the QB btw so if you want to make excuses for him please dont reply to me.

im not looking for warnings.

I remember one of these bad slant passes resulting in a pick six I think against the Bengals. Like I said, in a year where the offense was brown water trash, Torrey still managed to have one of his most productive years. He can't control over and under throws as you said. People can say he disappeared, but he doesn't have the height maybe for Joe to feel comfortable throwing it up for him, even if he has the ability to go up and get it.

Another question is, how often does Joe actuall anticipate routes or lead guys? You can't wait for the person to look open at the end of alot of routes. It's hard to get YAC as you said if guys aren't hit in stride.

Some will hate this following sentence. You can also consider (or not) that Boldin had 1000 yard seasons before coming here and again after he left but never while here. He's too slow, can't get separation, over the hill type of receiver. 

Just saying that maybe we are being too quick to judge and perhaps failing to take Torrey's surround environment (supporting cast) into consideration. If Joe needs support to be at his best, Ray needs support to be at his best, then we should consider that Torrey probably needs support to be at his best.

Good point, but how much of that is coming from a change in offensive scheme? Boldin's seasons in Baltimore were not that far off from 1000 yrds receiving. It's not like he had 500 yrds season with the Ravens, but if you have looked at how the 49ers made use of his abilities (heck, how the Ravens made use of his abilities during the SB run), than you can see a big difference in his performance, which was not caused by a change of the "support" around him.

That's why I'm really curious about the scheme changes Kubiak's playbook will bring to the team.

Lol, got negged for being excited about the new playbook. I love you Ravens forums. The hilarity never stops in this place.

Edited by PolishRifle

Maybe they hit the wrong button. Anyway, I choose to wear negs like a badge og honor. I'm hoping to hit the 400 point one day. It will be glorious.

1.5 but he was playing like one for first the half of the season. He got burnt out because no one else around him was showing up to play every game. Hes too good to be a #2, whatever the hell that even means. 

Edited by Cville-Raven

Maybe they hit the wrong button. Anyway, I choose to wear negs like a badge og honor. I'm hoping to hit the 400 point one day. It will be glorious.

I reserve negs for fans of opposing teams making ridiculous statements on our forums.

Torrey, has the potential to be a #1 WR, but a true #1 would be a much more dominant player to me. Fitz, Dez or AJ Green make plays in every game even when circumstances aren't perfect. I do think we got some that from him at the begining of last season, but was he a good enough red zone target or could he make enough contested catches, when the team needed him the most? No.

Some of that is on Joe, some of it is on Rice and alot of it is on the OL, but for now I'm still waiting for Torrey to become the star receiver he can be. Atleast, everyone, even the critics, have to agree, that Torrey did improve EVERY season. Not in leaps and bounds, but consistently little by little. Another thing he and his QB have in common. :P

Edited by PolishRifle