#1 orangle123

orangle123

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

*If this discussion is in the wrong section feel free to move it*

So I was thinking, as I do with most offseasons as the draft approuches, of my first visit to training camp and how my hope were crushed (plot-twist ahead).  I wanted to open this thread to share with eachother our favorite stories and memories as Ravens fans.  Anything from a personal story to a story about the team, share them here as we get closer to the draft with just about every avenue for improvment theorized about. My favorite story this website has published is Ozzies first draft.

(http://www.baltimore...91-9472564403fc

But here is my story, and how I need to remind myself every year, our personal dreams are sometimes crushed, resulting in an even better reality.

So in 2007, I was 14 years old and just beginings to develope my love for this organization.  Coincidentally, this was the year that Troy Smith won the Heisman Trophy.  Being a new fan of the sport, naturally I fell in love with him, he was the Heisman winner after all.  So round after round, I was pray for the Ravens to draft this young, Vick-like talent.  Each round, my disappointment grew larger, only to be revitalized by the apparent lack of interest from other teams.  Five rounds later, my hope escalated as I watched the Baltimore Ravens select who I thought would be the next superstar quarterback, giving the Ravens much needed help on offense.

The season went by, and my hopes of Smith being our Godsend were slowly crushed, but I hadn't lost all hope as this was just his rookie season.  He could rebound right?  Well, with the first pick in the 2008 draft, the Baltimore Ravens selected "Not-Matt Ryan" and I instantly hated him.  This Joe guy was primed to take Troy Smith's chance of leading this team to victory and I wasn't happy about it. 

I went to training camp that year for the first time with my family, and after a fun day of pictures and autographs, I was able to get all of my favorite players autographs.  I got Sizzle, Ed Reed, Mark Clayton (Yes, he was one of my favorites), and even the great Ray Lewis.  I also got to take a picture of the three quarterbacks together.  I couldn't wait to share the picture with friends and family, showing how awesome this picture was of Smith and his two backups.

Well, only weeks later, Kyle Bowler became injured and Smith came down with a stomach bug, and the preseason started without them.  Joe Flacco was now the starter by default.  My disappointment was greater than ever, but after showing promise week after week, my hope for a successful offense seemed misplaced in Smith.  Flacco grew as a player and now I stand behind him 100%.  It's funny, thinking back, at how much faith I had in Troy Smith, and how he is now a distant memory. 

Hopefully I haven't bored you!

#2 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

Bart Scott's hit on Roethlisberger right in front of my seats. I remember that noise, so violent like a crash. Also how quiet the Steeler fans were after they got shut out

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#3 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,028 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

Walking past Jonathan Ogden in street clothes. Biggest human being I have ever seen.

#4 Rav'n Maniac

Rav'n Maniac

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Bart Scott's hit on Roethlisberger right in front of my seats. I remember that noise, so violent like a crash. Also how quiet the Steeler fans were after they got shut out

Have a big framed picture of that shot hanging on my wall. That hit was a train wreck.

#5 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

At the Ravens Eagles game in 2008 when Reed broke his own record for longest INT return. That was such a fun game and a fun season

In Ozzie We Trust

#6 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,924 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

SD home game when Heap crossed the goal line. One of the loudest cheers Ive ever heard at a game.

baltimore-ravens-todd-heap.jpg
Posted Image

#7 FerrariFan87

FerrariFan87

Trust Me, A Jedi I Am

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,294 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

So many memories, it's tough to pick a favorite, but one of my most fun memories was during Super Bowl XXXV. My family and I were up at a friend's house in PA... my friend's dad was from New York, and naturally cheering for the Giants. All night we pestered him, saying it was OK to change allegiance to the superior Ravens! I thought it was pretty funny, and I will never forget our first Super Bowl :)

2550rra.jpg

#8 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,924 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

And tied with what happened right after this picture -

hqdefault.jpg
Posted Image

#9 FerrariFan87

FerrariFan87

Trust Me, A Jedi I Am

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,294 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

SD home game when Heap crossed the goal line. One of the loudest cheers Ive ever heard at a game.

baltimore-ravens-todd-heap.jpg

I was there too, sitting in the opposite endzone, but could see it clear as day! It was fantastic.

2550rra.jpg

#10 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

Walking past Jonathan Ogden in street clothes. Biggest human being I have ever seen.

I saw Eugene Monroe on Sunday.  Also large, but it's crazy how big Jonathan is.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#11 codizzle

codizzle

Director of Admissions- BSHU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,657 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

1996.. I was 8
Watched ravens play oilers and lost it in 4th Q that's about all I recall from game besides guy dressed as Poe in stands wearing a full bird cage costume around his torso

Been absolutely hooked ever since
Just WIN Out!!!

6f3898d1-1b88-4209-a3a5-ed7fe2348d4b.jpg

+35

#12 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,028 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

Watching Ed Reed's huge INT return vs the eagles. I don't think I've ever heard the Bank get that loud before.

Favorite moment has to be seeing Ed hold that trophy though. I wasn't at the game but I can still see that humongous crazy smile, full of emotions. So happy for everyone, but him in particular. 2012 is the most memorable season ever for me.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#13 codizzle

codizzle

Director of Admissions- BSHU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,657 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

Oh and the Bull chant on national television was probably one of the times I smiled the biggest and was happiest to be a ravens fan..

Was awesome to hear it on tv and it be so loud that al michaels simply had to address it
Just WIN Out!!!

6f3898d1-1b88-4209-a3a5-ed7fe2348d4b.jpg

+35

#14 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

Watching Ed Reed's huge INT return vs the eagles. I don't think I've ever heard the Bank get that loud before.

Favorite moment has to be seeing Ed hold that trophy though. I wasn't at the game but I can still see that humongous crazy smile, full of emotions. So happy for everyone, but him in particular. 2012 is the most memorable season ever for me.

Yeah we had the Reeeeeeeeeeed chant going for a while after that return

2012 was such a great season for us. We overcame so much in that season and seeing those guys get the trophy and sending Ray out on top was great. They deserved it.

Oh and the Bull chant on national television was probably one of the times I smiled the biggest and was happiest to be a ravens fan..

Was awesome to hear it on tv and it be so loud that al michaels simply had to address it

That was great too. It made me really happy to be a fan, especially after that call.

In Ozzie We Trust

#15 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,675 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:28 PM

Having been to all but 2 home games and quite a few road games (and never missing a game on TV unless I was at it), it's safe to assume I have quite a few "favorite" memories. Right up there at the top, though, is sitting in "Raven James" stadium in the waning moments of Super Bowl XXXV knowing that I was there for our FIRST!
15fqib6.jpg

#16 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

Being at Super Bowl XLVII

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#17 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,319 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

I think being at the Bank for the last time Ray walked out of the tunnel will always be one of my favorite in-person moments as a Ravens fan.  The stadium was so loud, everything around me was shaking.  I may have shed a few tears.  And then for him to come on for the last play and do a lap around the stadium, great send off.

Edited by A Fish Called Yanda, 07 April 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#18 Purple Nurple

Purple Nurple

Telling It Like It Is Since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

Thanksgiving night against the 49ers, got a ball signed by 16 players, including the only one Ed Reed stopped to do. The people around us couldn't believe he stopped. Apparently he doesn't often sign things before and after games.

(We did scream out that we came all the way from South Africa…..…which was only kinda sorta true……..but screw it, I have Ray Lewis' and Ed Reeds' sigs right next to each other and right under the Ravens symbol on the ball)

newsigg2_zps9e6531bd.jpg

#19 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

I'd have to say the game winning drive to beat Pit in Pittsburgh in 2011 and sweep them.  What made it more special was that it was on my birthday, so I just knew we were going to win somehow, some way.  Great present for me  :D 

#20 redlobster

redlobster

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

I still think about the Denver vs Baltimore playoff game 2 years ago  with the mile high miracle. I personally think that is the best Ravens game I have watched and ranks up there with all nfl games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users