Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ausman

Bobby Rainey

51 posts in this topic

Has the decision to cut Bobby Rainey backfired? In my expert opinion yes.

1). Bernard Pierce flat out sucks!

2). Ray Rice is guaranteed at least a suspension.

3). Rainey could have relieved Rice and possibly win us 1 more game and be 9-7 into the playoffs instead of 8-8.

It clearly has considering our current RB situation and how well he has done. We tried to get to cute and slip him past waivers to the PS. Stupid move.

3). Rainey could have relieved Rice and possibly win us 1 more game and be 9-7 into the playoffs instead of 8-8.

So where was your expert opinion before last season? any fool can look back and say "Hey that picked sucked" nobody knew the wheels would fall off the oline and Rice would bust up his girl.

You're kidding yourself if you think Rainey was the difference between the playoffs or not.  No RB was going to do anything behind our putrid OL last year.

You lost me at Bernard Pierce sucks. Go throw on his 2012 tape running behind a real offensive line and then come back and say he sucks. He might be a little injury prone, but he is a great runner.

You're kidding yourself if you think Rainey was the difference between the playoffs or not. No RB was going to do anything behind our putrid OL last year.

I wasnt going to fisnish reading what he typed past Pierce sucks until I read what your reply.

So Rainey was going to turn chicken crap into chicken salad? The only people I think who might've saved us were either KO or Pitta.

Uh, no.

Rainey only had three good games, too, and they came against mediocre defenses. He only averaged 3.9 a carry and like 50 a game. Pass.

Rainey hasn't done really anything. Pierce is way more talented than him and could be a beast behind a halfway decent line.

I hate to be the guy with the annoying questions...but....

Exactly what makes you an expert ? Is it years of scouting these players in college ? Your HOF career playing in the NFL ? You invaluable experience as a front office personnel ? 

Orrrr.......

Years of playing madden, Watching you tube clips, or you're apparent ability at sound logic and decision making ?

It clearly has considering our current RB situation and how well he has done. We tried to get to cute and slip him past waivers to the PS. Stupid move.

Boom, that's all that needs to be said. They thought nobody saw all the plays he made in the preseason and they were sorely mistaken. Not saying Rainey is a pro bowler by any means, but would have been a nice option. 

I want to know what qualifies you to have an expert opinion

Rainey had like one or two stellar games and a few, if not several, absolute garbage games

Bernard Pierce is a good player, so don;t know what games you were watching was a solid backup, and was good during our SB run.  

Last season Ray Rice was hurt and our O-Line was terrible.

2. Nothing is guaranteed. I expect somewhere from 2 to 4 games but will see.

3. Yes releasing Rainey was a mistake. Ray Rice was like 50% last season and Pierce got hurt too, plus the line so yes it was a mistake to let him go just like Boldin and other mistakes NFL teams make each year.

So where was your expert opinion before last season? any fool can look back and say "Hey that picked sucked" nobody knew the wheels would fall off the oline and Rice would bust up his girl.

Everybody knew Bernard is always hurt & its just business to have a up and coming RB behind Ray cause its almost that time to replace him sooooooooo why in the world would our FO let him go?......... Its called being super stupid, or how I like to say it "so smart, you're stupid"

Everybody knew Bernard is always hurt & its just business to have a up and coming RB behind Ray cause its almost that time to replace him sooooooooo why in the world would our FO let him go?......... Its called being super stupid, or how I like to say it "so smart, you're stupid"

Because he isn't that good?

It wasn't a smart decision but there are as always several factors in play that we don't see, I mean how do you propose we get Rainey back? its done and theres no point looking back.

I agree it was a mistake to cut him.  I disagree with just about everything else the OP stated.  

You can't call his release backfiring on us.  It's the same thing with the Boldin trade.  They took a calculated risk based on some educated guess.  There is no crystal ball and no one could see that Pitta and Jacoby would be injured nor could they know that neither stud running back would be healthy for much of the season.  

Also don;t forget that they had their coaching muddle in the run game which contribute to their putrid performance.  Given that i doubt Rainey woould've been as successful filling in here as he was in Tampa.  .

Pierce is a very good back with a lot of upside.  He should benefit the most from Kubiak's system. 

Bobby Rainey the difference maker?  SMH 

Food for thought at the very least...

Uh, we weren't the only team that cut Rainey last year. Maybe he really isn't "all that".

I think this is the point lost on all the Rainey worshipers. We kept him Down on the practice squad for YEARS for a reason -- he never showed the coaches he had made that needed step. He got picked up by Cleveland who at the time actually had a much better O line than us, finally got his big break, a chance to be their starting back. And he did absolutely nothing and was quickly cut in favor of an older and gimpy McGahee. Then he got picked up by Tampa, had ONE amazing game against a lousy defense who clearly suffered from the lack of game tape on this guy (which the subsequent teams who faced him seemed to rectify), and has since settled back to a lower spot on their depth chart. This guy hasn't really showed he's starter caliber, and frankly at the pace he's going his stats won't ever come close to those compiled by a player like Draughn who we used briefly to fill that number three slot. Rainey is one if those guys who shows tantalizing potential in the preseason, but he getting older and at his age if you haven't nailed down a starting role, you probably won't. He's just not that good. The faceless parade of number three and four backs we have gone through over the years were all better than him. Every single one. And none of them were impact players who threatened the job security of our number two back.

So Rainey was going to run behind that atrocious Oline and win us more games. No RB had any success for us last season... I wanted to keep Rainey but we knew ST and him being similar to Rice in style and size made it unlikely.

Also with rice playing weekly injured, it's unknown if Rainey would have even played significant time, unless we are to assume he would have gotten the same carries b.scott got.

Why bring this up at all? He is not associate with the team anymore.

Well, that's why it was brought up............................

We need to make a Mt. Rushmore of marginal players the Ravens have had that some fans want to enshrine in the HOF. Bobby Rainey may be the top vote getter. 

Maybe, just maybe he was worthy of keeping on the roster and you could qualify losing him off the practice squad was a mistake... but to call him a significant difference maker? That's a stretch. 

I hope the OP takes her expert opinion and applies for the GM position of the steelers.  

She has just enough ineptitude and delusional self importance to run that organization into the ground.

Good luck to you, Miss.  

Talent-wise, Bobby should still be here. He has shown after he left how much potential he has and what we let go. On the other hand, we had such a bad line, Jim Brown in his prime would have had a bad season. I hope that Rice and Bernard can get back to normal health during camp because they did provide the running game to help win the SB so If they can come back, were in really good shape, with or without Rainy but I must admit, I hate that we werent smart enough(just like burfict) to keep him around.