Ravens at Steelers      Game Rewind      Pro Bowl Voting   

Photo

Is the Ravens "Coaching Tree" among the best in NFL history?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 RAVENSNAYSHUN

RAVENSNAYSHUN

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

When most people talk about NFL coaching trees, they talk about Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells. But the Ravens have an impressive coaching tree as well. Some of these coaches may not have started their NFL coaching career with us but received a head coaching position only after leaving us (not before which excludes coaches like Caldwell who was a head coach before getting here). The Raven's Coaching Tree consist of: Jack Del Rio, Hue Jackson, Marvin Lewis*, Eric Mangini*, Mike Nolan, Chuck Pagano, Mike Pettine, Rex Ryan, Jim Schwartz*, Mike Singletary, Mike Simth, and Ken Whisenhunt*.

I could be missing one or two but that's a pretty long list for a franchise that's only been in existence for 18 years, right?

Thoughts?

* May be counted under another coaching tree. For ex., Mangini can technically be counted under the Belichick coaching tree.

#2 rayrayven

rayrayven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

Hard to compete with the Parcells/Giants. Six Super Bowls were won by Parcells assistants.  Before Parcells/Belichick era the Giants produced guys like Landry and Lombardi  (under Jim Lee Howell from 1954-59.). Any Raven's coaches win the big one?

Edited by rayrayven, 02 April 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#3 RAVENSNAYSHUN

RAVENSNAYSHUN

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

Hard to compete with the Parcells/Giants. Six Super Bowls were won by Parcells assistants.  Before Parcells/Belichick era the Giants produced guys like Landry and Lombardi  (under Jim Lee Howell from 1954-59.). Any Raven's coaches win the big one?

Good point, no, no coach after leaving the Ravens has won the Super Bowl however that's sort of beside the point. I'm not comparing the wins/losses as much as just the number of coaches that got their head coaching opportunity after wearing purple. It's hard to compete with a team like the Giants who's been a franchise since the 1920s so they have obviously had way more coaches that has worn blue. But it's all relative. How many franchises can say that in less than 20 short years, they have had 12 coaches that became head coaches. I'm definitely not saying the Ravens have the best coaching tree, I'm just saying that for a franchise with a short history, we have a coaching tree that is more impressive than many, if not most, other NFL teams who have deep history... I'd say we're maybe like top 10 which to me is impressive in our short history. Maybe I'm just biased which is completely possible.

#4 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

Alot of those coaches have sucked as a hc tbh.

#5 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

No, but they sure seem to have a hard time getting fired - Rex Ryan has gone 22-26 the last 3 years, Marvin Lewis is 90-85 in 11 seasons with Cinci and an 0-5 playoff record, and both still have a job.

Edited by Ravenslifer, 02 April 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#6 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,224 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

The Parcells tree takes the cake, but the Ravens tree is up there. 

#7 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

The Bill Walsh tree is another big one.

#8 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

When most people talk about NFL coaching trees, they talk about Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells. But the Ravens have an impressive coaching tree as well. Some of these coaches may not have started their NFL coaching career with us but received a head coaching position only after leaving us (not before which excludes coaches like Caldwell who was a head coach before getting here). The Raven's Coaching Tree consist of: Jack Del Rio, Hue Jackson, Marvin Lewis*, Eric Mangini*, Mike Nolan, Chuck Pagano, Mike Pettine, Rex Ryan, Jim Schwartz*, Mike Singletary, Mike Simth, and Ken Whisenhunt*.

I could be missing one or two but that's a pretty long list for a franchise that's only been in existence for 18 years, right?

Thoughts?

* May be counted under another coaching tree. For ex., Mangini can technically be counted under the Belichick coaching tree.

The problem is your comparing a single coach's tree to our organizations tree. You would have to either chose Billicks or Harbaughs to be equal. And either way you go, none can match Parcell's. Too many rings...

Edited by bMore Heathen, 02 April 2014 - 08:55 PM.

#9 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

The problem is your comparing a single coach's tree to our organizations tree. You would have to either chose Billicks or Harbaughs to be equal. And either way you go, none can match Parcell's. Too many rings...

good point. U need a like for likw comparison

#10 RAVENSNAYSHUN

RAVENSNAYSHUN

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

I hear what you guys are saying. It would either have to be organization to organization or coach to coach and you guys are right. But since we've only had 3 coaches in our short history, I thought comparing our organization to the most talked about coaching trees would be a closer comparison. For ex., comparing Billick's tree to Walsh's tree is no comparison. Not only has Walsh has had good coaches come from him, but time alone gives Walsh the advantage since more coaches would have technically had more opportunities in a ~30 year span opposed to a ~15 year span. And comparing the Ravens tree to say the Giants tree is no comparison either for the same reason. This s the only reason I chose to pose the question the way I did. Really, it was just to get people thinking about how good our organization is when it comes to personnel. Five of those coaches on the list are currently head coach of a team.

That's all I'm saying.

#11 bpytnjr58

bpytnjr58

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

Not until they win the big one.

#12 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

Parcells' tree is too big to be compared with........

2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#13 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

Honorable mention to Bill walsh?

Edited by izvoodoo, 03 April 2014 - 11:09 AM.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#14 ravensfan160

ravensfan160

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

We have quantity but not necessarily quality. The only guy who really stuck around is Marvin Lewis and he would have been fired a long time ago if the owner wasn't cheap.

#15 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,224 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

Honorable mention to Bill walsh?

Number two

#16 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

Number two

Actually it's probably Sid Gillman.    He gets all of Bill Walsh, all of Coryell and Al Davis under him.Gillman_Coaching_Tree.gif

Edited by izvoodoo, 03 April 2014 - 12:03 PM.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#17 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

I've also heard of this being called the Ray Lewis coaching tree

Which makes more sense than calling it the Harbaugh or Billick tree since Lewis' career spanned both eras.  Plus it's been well documented to boot :)

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#18 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

The "coaching tree" idea is always a bit confusing to me, because usually those imply a much bigger influence of HC than they actually have.

Technically the right answer would be Sid Gilman like izvoodoo pointed out, but only very few of those HC were really influenced by Gilman's style of coaching. Do you really give Gilman the credit for John Harbaugh, when his tenure as the ST coach in Philly under Reid formed him the most? In all honesty Gilman's tree is only that impressive, because of Bill Walsh, who is more influenced by his tenure in Cincinnati under Paul Brown, when he experimented with the "West Coast" offense.

It is he and his revolutionary approach to offense, that worked with great success (I'm looking at you Don Coryell), who probably has the best coaching tree, because his influence is actually more noticeable throughout his coaching tree with all of the "West Coast Disciples", that system ended up creating.

Which makes more sense than calling it the Harbaugh or Billick tree since Lewis' career spanned both eras.  Plus it's been well documented to boot :)

Yeah, Ray would take credit for that. All dat leadership. :D

Edited by PolishRifle, 03 April 2014 - 10:46 PM.

bJNF689.jpg

#19 I-70WestRaven

I-70WestRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:55 AM

No. simply because once they leave the "Raven" system they cannot duplicate our success. Our couches are as good as our system, so all previous posts ring true to me! From the top down or it will not work! Great posts by you all!!
The Baltimore Ravens! 'Nuff said!!

#20 RAVENSNAYSHUN

RAVENSNAYSHUN

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

Great point!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users