SecretAgentMan

Breakout Player of the Year 2014 Edition

57 posts in this topic

Let's do this damn thing. 

So who is going to be our breakout player on offense and defense? 

Offense? 

Kyle Juszczyk

While by no means is he going to be an all pro or anything, a year at least learning how to block under Leach will assure that he NEVER LEAVES THE FIELD. He'll stay on for running plays because he's a fullback. He'll stay on for passing plays cause he's a skilled receiver. 

He's a tough guy to bring down if you look at it. 

While not playing a great level of competition, he still displayed good to great hands and toughness after the catch.

He won't be flashy, but he will be effective. 

Expect him to be a short yardage guy on 3rd and 2 and such, and to be a fan favorite for years to come

Defense? Gotta go with my man(or Grim's man... get a room :P)  

Arthur Brown (Yes all sophomores...) 

My god the last minuet of that video is insane.

My reasoning for this is that we usually have a reputation at being good at developing LB's. Brown is already very good in coverage, and having Dayrl helps him there. He also showed promise as a blitzer(in other words, HE WILL NEVER LEAVE THE FIELD.). 

If he improves his run defense look out, he will be the next Dayrl Smith. 

Well, let's see. I think the top candidates are Tyson, Lewis-Moore, Elam, Williams, Arthur Brown, Chykie Brown and possibly Omar Brown.

I think Arthur Brown's role will be dependent on how the DL does in front of him. That's why I'm not keen yet on calling him the breakout player. Since I expect us to use other options at CB and FS I'll eliminate Chykie and Omar. That leaves the DL and Elam. I think Tyson and Williams beat out Moore for the starting gig. I'm putting my money on Williams as the breakout player with Matt Elam another possibility. The better our pass rush the better I think he will do.

As for offense, I would wager Juszczyk, Mellette, Brown and Pierce have a distinct chance to breakout more than any other players. If I had to guess it would be Pierce because I think Rice gets suspended. Grafted an argument can be made he already broke out but I don't think he did yet. With Kubiak and an improved OL I think he will.

I don't think we'll have a true breakout player on defense, like we did last year with Jimmy. I do think Elam will step up though.

Offensively, nearly every significant contributor is already established, other than Pierce, Juice, and KO. I don't think Marlon will get enough snaps to surpass his rookie season. Only things I see happening is either KO plays lights out, Pierce takes over permanently as starter or maybe a rookie comes in and plays well.

i want to see elam at his natural position also excited about lewis-moore he was a beast in college 

How bout these

Pierce and Pernell McPhee

Really hoping McPhee makes a jump.. Like him as a player

If not already then I think Morgan Cox will be a break out player . If thats not good enough well how about John Simon.

Edited by jazz1988

On defense, I'm going with Elam. With him moving to where he's at his best, he'll be great.

It's tough to say on offense. Peirce would be the best bet since he might get a chance at being the starting running back and having a better line to work with compared to last year. Otherwise, I say it depends on who gets drafted.

On defense I'm gong Elam and Arthur Brown . Offense going really bold Matt Furstenburg  and  Rick Wagner.

Chykie Brown is my pick. I've liked what he's done in limited action. I predict he will lock down that 3rd CB spot and play really well for us. 

My homer pick is Gerrard Sheppard. It's a long shot.

My realisic would have to be Juice. You don't take a full back that high for him to be a special teamer. They saw something they like with him, let's get him on the field.

I like Brown and think he can develop into our own Darryl Washington. Might go with Brandon Williams or KLM. On offense I'll go Pitta or Pierce. Can Zuttah count?

That last minute of Arthur Browns highlight reel amazes me. The way he took down pre ACL injury RG3 is great. Makes me want them to build our entire defense around him.

Breakout player is tough. For me I will say John Simon emerges as a very good situational pass rusher.

If not already then I think Morgan Cox will be a break out player . If thats not good enough well how about John Simon.

im not sure how a good ls can break out?

I expect Dennis Pitta to have a career year, and I think Marlon Brown will also make terrific strides this year.  On defense, I'm going Brandon Williams - I expect Williams to start seeing his snaps increased significantly in the coming years.

Edited by Ravenslifer

I think Marlon breaks out - not in yardage, but in scores: I'm saying 12+.

Defense, idk about anyone breaking out, but maybe the defense as a whole will step up as a whole back solidly in the top 10 in all areas, especially against top tier offenses and qbs.

Isn't it a little soon to be talking about breakout players?! Man we're not even in OTA's yet.

Bit mad that a few stole my thunder on this one, but I think DeAngelo Tyson is going to break out on defense. As far as offense goes, I think Pierce  is going to break out. And by break out, I mean have a 1000 yard season and double digit touchdowns. 

Tyson and Pierce.

I expect great things from KLM but he won't have enough snaps to call it a breakout year.

On the other hand, what if we re-sign Cody? He might do it, too.

Edited by allblackraven

I'm going to surprise everyone when I say this....Jacoby Jones as a WR.

He still has his speed, and before he got hurt last year (I know it was a couple of plays) he looked comfortable catching the ball. On top of all that he looks like he's genuinely happy in Baltimore sometimes that's that little extra push that a person needs.

Nothing major

50 catches 800 yards 7-9 TD.

(Yes that means I'm expecting Joe to throw for over 40 TD as well)

(Yes that means I'm expecting Joe to throw for over 40 TD as well)

This would be Joes breakout year then ;)

i say keep an eye on deonte thompson, if he makes it through camp and still is on the roster i think he will be a very good player IF given the opportunity..

Defense i say: Elam showd flashes that were he was over the field last year making plays so keep a eye on him also but i'll go with simon and McPhee i still like Mcphee would like to see him go back  to  DE where he has and had a opportunity to start, Simon i think has the ablity to play multiple LB  postion and be succesful.

This would be Joes breakout year then ;)

If the line doesn't keep him from running for his life.

I don't think it's a joke, so much as he just worded it wrong

1/28 post was a joke, sarcasm, light hearted, whatever you want to call it

I'm going to surprise everyone when I say this....Jacoby Jones as a WR.

This. As kind of the forgotten man, Jacoby's got star potential written all over him.

Defense - Rolando McClain!

Offense:  KO (I predicted he would last year, but his injury held him back even when he played)

Defense:  Arthur Brown (I thought highly of him coming out of KSU and a year in the NFL gaining experience should have done wonders for him)

That last minute of Arthur Browns highlight reel amazes me. The way he took down pre ACL injury RG3 is great. Makes me want them to build our entire defense around him.

Breakout player is tough. For me I will say John Simon emerges as a very good situational pass rusher.

I think you mean Adrian Peterson, but I agree with the Arthur Brown pick for defensive break-out player.  My runner up is Brandon Williams as a solid break out candidate and Chykie Brown would be more of a longer shot sleeper pick. 

On Offense I also agree with many the Juice needs to break loose.  I'd put Rick Wagner as the runner up but depending on the draft he may be a long shot there too.  I also feel that K.O, Pitta, and newly acquired Owen Daniels should have bounce back seasons, but all three have played at a pro-bowl type level before. 

On Special teams I think Jeromy Miles and Brynden Trawick have a chance to break 10 tackles if they stay healthy.  They are big and strong gunners and could make a big impact. 

Edited by Dudeman

Brandon Williams ... maybe Lewis-Moore needs one more year after his injury but I think he can develop into a real good player!

I think it's going to be tough for Marlon Brown to improve on his rookie year just because of how many targets we have... The balls gonna get spread around a whole lot more.

On offense I think juice and pierce are the safest picks. All offseason from Harbaugh, to Ozzie to biscotti.... They've all highlighted him as a guy they need to move around to find mismatches and really get him involved. Plus Kubiak has been great at involving H-back type players and getting good production out of them.

Pierce seems to be a great fit for this running scheme and it also seems likely with rice's off field issues he's going to get a great opportunity to win the job. You really have to look at opportunity, and scheme fit when picking this type of thing.

I don't know if you could call this a breakout season, but I think Torrey breaks 1300 yds and puts up good TD #'s in the 8-10 range.

On defense Arthur Brown and Elam stand out as the most likely candidates because of opportunity. I also think jimmy takes it a step further and becomes a household name as a consensus top 5 cb.

Gino our stud Center

I expect Gino to go from worst starting NFL Center to second to worst starting Center in the NFL .

DeAngelo Tyson.

This. I really liked Tyson last year, and I feel he should be our next Arthur Jones. Other guys I see are Arthur Brown, Bernard Pierce, Juice, Elam, Flacco (taking the next step to through over 4,000 yds,25-30sh TDs while keeping INTs low), and Pitta. 

Justin Forsett, Matt Elam, and Joe Flacco. 

Ah, Joe broke out .Please see Super Bowl and playoff video from last year.