47 replies to this topic

#1 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

Correct me if there is a thread on the subject already.

But just got done reading http://www.nfl.com/n...oking-for-a-job

April fools day and all, I'm going to post a serious topic (it is my brothers birthday after all, and man the jokes just get old I mean really imagine having your b-day on April fools day...end rant.)

So no I'm not saying he needs to be brought back.  I'm just saying the Ravens knew the true market value for Reed.  And that it is a shame that basically another team can swoop in and offer so much more money but care so much less about the player.  If Reed had a bum year last year in Baltimore it would've been ok.  He's given us everything he's got on the field for so long, and his teams performance wouldn't have been his fault, NOR would it have been blamed on him by the Ravens team to the media. 

Now I'm no nostradmus (more like Captain Hindsight), but I do believe that I saw this one coming.  It's almost expected in todays NFL that teams that over-spend in free agency are just bad teams, and the front office is the main culprit.  It's plainly obvious that our front office know what they are doing but it's almost like the market doesn't believe it sometimes. 

Every year the market is artifically saturated by Free Agency, and creates an opportunity for teams to basically take another player.  This should be fairly common concept style logic that goes into these negotiations.  Occasionally the market does helps you as a front office by basically confirming the price set to the player.  But more often than not a bad team just is taking a good player away to spite that team.

It would've been poetic justice to have Reed last year, and the team needed him for the transition from the Reed/Lewis era.  He was offered generous deals a couple of times, and in hindsight he shoud've taken them but that's not what happened. 

Instead Reed likely could end up not playing another down in the NFL, and not by his own choice in front of home crowd like Ray. 

No Reed can't come back here, because the market is so shallow that he'd be offered back-up money or veteran minimum, and he's not content as a back-up. 

Maybe if he's in fantastic shape and tweeting work-outs and enthusiasm then he could be a late term free agency addition if there is a training camp, or pre-season injury.  But it's also quite possible that we've seen the last of Reed on the field. 

Edited by Dudeman, 01 April 2014 - 10:42 PM.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#2 rayrayven

rayrayven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:22 AM

Ray was embarrassing himself in his last season - he looked awful and quit at the right time. Reed is in same boat but doesn't want to call it quits I guess. He  was pretty bad for the Jets (who specialize in getting old players out of gas like Favre, Lott etc).

Edited by rayrayven, 02 April 2014 - 12:51 AM.

#3 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,709 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:28 AM

Ed Reed is like The Sopranos.  It's over.  Find a new show.

#4 NFLfan123

NFLfan123

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:06 AM

He should retire

2014 Oakland Raiders GM

2014 Buffalo Pirates GM

#5 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:10 AM

I don't feel sorry for him, he cashed in last year but now he's an unloved mercenary with no home. Dems the breaks.

#6 MTRavensFan

MTRavensFan

Veteran

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:44 AM

Ed Reed is like The Sopranos.  It's over.  Find a new show.

not really. We still get a comp pick out of the deal :)

"I would suggest not wringing those hands so hard that you sprain them. Take a chill pill." - Eisenbergf4ia7s.jpg

#7 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,037 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:21 AM

1 day contract.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#8 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,154 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:15 AM

He got paid with his representation trashing Ozzie all the way to Houston. Past year has been terrible for him but he got what he wanted.
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#9 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,687 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:35 AM

Ed threatened to retire several times. Now he can really do it. He got that last big payday and reportedly rarely spent a cent of his money.
15fqib6.jpg

#10 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

Ed Reed is a shell of his former self, this we all know. He makes 'business decisions' when it comes to tackling. We made the correct decision in evaluating his money worth last year and letting him walk. 

However, he can still play the game at a solid level. His football IQ makes up for a lost step (although he still can still run). He still gets the secondary in the correct position 99% of the time (something we sorely missed last year). He can still patrol centre field and make QBs think twice about throwing, which has a ton of value.

Honestly, I'd be all for bringing him back for a year. It would allow Elam to play close to the line of scrimmage and really just fly around and hunt. Plus, I really don't want us to take another 1st round Safety and this could put that off for now. 

(I still wish Reed rode out on top with Lewis though). Would have been a Raven Nation party in 5 years in Canton.

Edited by TDubbs, 02 April 2014 - 06:54 AM.

#11 Neal Could Block the SUN!!

Neal Could Block the SUN!!

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:03 AM

Reed is done. I liked him but the contract debates and front office battles he created towards the end were frustrating.

The last memory of Reed in Baltimore will be Jacoby Jones walking him into the end zone.

HOF, thanks for the memories, Good Bye Mr. Reed.

"“All of a sudden, and I had not officially met Ray yet, I feel this presence over my shoulder and this voice: ‘Ray Rice, this is Ray Lewis. I love the way you play. But, you should pull your pants up.’”

Asked what it’s like to see a deep ball from Flacco, Jones likened it to Starburst candy.
“It’s juicy, it’s good,” Jones said. “It’s like candy. Everybody loves candy. Who don’t like candy?”

"We got the better Harbaugh!" Sherry Huggler

"Finally"

"My descriptions of my actions on that play are a lot of things - embarrassing, inexcusable, a blunder would be a myriad of things I use to describe it." Mike Tomlin (a cheating Stealer)

#12 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,205 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

Ed Reed will always be a Raven in my eyes.  Just cause he left and went looking for greener pastures in this "business" doesn't negate all he has done for and what he has meant to the Baltimore Ravens over the years.  Thanks Ed!!!

#Mili

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I May be Done but I'm not Gone!"

- Ray Lewis

#13 RLewis52

RLewis52

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

Reed had been saying he was going to retire for the past 3,4 years, and I think he should of went out with Ray, least then he would of went out on top. Instead of really the other way around

#14 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

Reed is done. I liked him but the contract debates and front office battles he created towards the end were frustrating.

The last memory of Reed in Baltimore will be Jacoby Jones walking him into the end zone.

HOF, thanks for the memories, Good Bye Mr. Reed.

Sad but true. It must be hard for these guys, sort of being forced to stop playing the game that they love. Lets face it, for a working adult, Reed isn't that old. He is still in his prime.

He should have rode into the sunset with Ray and retired a hero. That ship has sailed.

Edited by jaege, 02 April 2014 - 11:12 AM.

It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#15 Puntit

Puntit

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

Ed Reed is a shell of his former self, this we all know. He makes 'business decisions' when it comes to tackling. We made the correct decision in evaluating his money worth last year and letting him walk. 

However, he can still play the game at a solid level. His football IQ makes up for a lost step (although he still can still run). He still gets the secondary in the correct position 99% of the time (something we sorely missed last year). He can still patrol centre field and make QBs think twice about throwing, which has a ton of value.

Honestly, I'd be all for bringing him back for a year. It would allow Elam to play close to the line of scrimmage and really just fly around and hunt. Plus, I really don't want us to take another 1st round Safety and this could put that off for now. 

(I still wish Reed rode out on top with Lewis though). Would have been a Raven Nation party in 5 years in Canton.

He hasn't played at a "solid level" for a couple of years. the last year here he was being hurdled by opposing players and on the IR every other week any time he tried to squarely make a tackle, which was becoming progressively more rare. For much the same reason he washed out of Texas fast and didn't get resigned by NY. He's the GOAT, but that's past tense now. There's no backup on the team currently that would be more of a liability at safety than the Reed we saw last year. He can come back on. One day contract, or maybe someday as a coach, but if you think he's still got much in the tank you are stuck in 2010.

#16 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

The only contract I see in Ed's future is a 1 day contract to have him retire as a Raven.  It was disappointing to see him go last season, but it was completely clear that he was a shell of his former self, and was worth nowhere near the money that he was being offered by other teams.  Can hardly blame the man for leaving for a final payday, but as a fan who has grown up with Ed being a staple in our secondary, it was hurtful to see him in another teams colors.  It was also kind of sad to watch him play last year so utterly poorly.  While down the road he will always be considered one of the best safeties to play the game, last year he sullied his reputation somewhat.

#17 Puntit

Puntit

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:49 AM

The only contract I see in Ed's future is a 1 day contract to have him retire as a Raven.  It was disappointing to see him go last season, but it was completely clear that he was a shell of his former self, and was worth nowhere near the money that he was being offered by other teams.  Can hardly blame the man for leaving for a final payday, but as a fan who has grown up with Ed being a staple in our secondary, it was hurtful to see him in another teams colors.  It was also kind of sad to watch him play last year so utterly poorly.  While down the road he will always be considered one of the best safeties to play the game, last year he sullied his reputation somewhat.

I'm okay with him milking the other teams dry. If he can get another $800k this year from some sucker, i say why not. The guys window on an NFL level income is rapidly coming to an end and he's still hopefully got another 40ish years on this planet to finance luxuriously -- who is ever going to offer him this kind of money again?

#18 Ravensuperfan1

Ravensuperfan1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

Greatest Safety to ever play. Wish we offered the man a contract he could help mentor Elam and another young safety we draft or sign. Knows our system and has chemistry with out players would of at least provided some depth on a few plays.

He's not as fast as he was or as healthy but around mid-season when Reed got his legs under him he was decent, compared to other Safeties in the league not his all time great standard.

#19 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

I'm okay with him milking the other teams dry. If he can get another $800k this year from some sucker, i say why not. The guys window on an NFL level income is rapidly coming to an end and he's still hopefully got another 40ish years on this planet to finance luxuriously -- who is ever going to offer him this kind of money again?

Absolutely - one cannot blame him for trying to find the money.  It is still unfortunate though, at least in my eyes.  I always thought that Ed's entire career would be in Baltimore, but perhaps my expectations were unjust.  It would seem to be a more storied career to be one of the best safeties ever to play the game, and to only play for the team that drafted you.  As I mentioned before though, Ed's hopping around to find the money will soon be forgotten (as it has for so many other NFL greats).

#20 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,742 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

He chased money, wanting to get as much as he could out of his years of hard work and physical toll it took on him.  Can't hate him for that.  But he had to have known this would happen in Houston and New York.  Reed knew his body and limitations better than anyone last year.

For a guy so close to the end, it would have been nice to see the guy play a final season in Baltimore.  Have him come out of the tunnel one last time when we all knew it was his last go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users