Photo

Getting back to being more physical, back to our identity... Defense...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 YashaYahu1

YashaYahu1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

There was a post saying that "the Ravens training camp will be more physical this year", this is what we need, let's get back to being the most physical, dominating team and (DEFENSE)...back in the day it was crazy for a team to rush for 100 yards on us, it was crazy to thinks we couldn't get a team off the field to give our offense a chance...now a days we been getting ran all over and can't get the defense off the field. can't close out games anymore smh let's get back to being feared. Our identity has and MUST Remain on physical Defense and smash mouth running, LET ME SAY i know and understand our line sucked, and our run game was terrible and we had center problems ok i realize that. But like i said back in 2000 when all we had was a run game and a defense we were FEARED, we made teams SCARED to face us even though we had very little offense and since then we have ALWAYS been known as have a relentless, physical defense. But the last couple years it's been frustrating watching teams like the Bengals and Steelers and browns defense being talked about as better than our defense, watching teams rush for 100 yards, watching game winning drives the opposing teams make on OUR defense because we can't get pressure or we can't get them off the field, it's all because we lost the identify of what a Raven team is supposed to be. We haven't be physical, we haven't been relentless, yes our defense was better but to true fan who been loyal and dedicated, to us its truly frustrating because we saw how we use to scare teams,  we understand what we are capable of and what a Ravens defense should look like and we need to get back to that and i believe this is a step in the right direction. If we can get that back plus having  a QB like Flacco (hoping that he works on his accuracy this off season) and receivers like Torre and Brown and Steve Smith and pitta, we could be looking at another SB ONLY if we get back to RELENTLESS, PHYSICAL,  #1 DEFENSE...thoughts????

#2 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,861 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

I'm inclined to agree 100%. I don't think we have to sacrifice offense to do it either.

However, according to everyone here, our defense was great last year!!! Doesn't matter what the stats say!!! :)

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

#3 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

We need to be more physical everywhere. Teams should fear us and not just our defense.

#4 YashaYahu1

YashaYahu1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Well when i see use not being able to close out games when we are ahead, or when we go like 8 weeks(after the first 8-9 weeks we never could get any pressure) not being able to put consistant pressure on the QB, when our defense of line and linbackers get pushed around and struggle to stop the run..thats a problem.. I saw Lacy and the steelers ROOKIE RB run on use like we were nothing..that CAN'T be tolerated, just because we have had a better defense than previous years we can't settle and say our defense wasn't bad..We are the Ravens..When people say Defense the Seahawks, browns jets, steelers, bengals should never come up..only one thought should come to mind BALTIMORE..Thats what i am saying we need to get back to only tolerating greatness on Defense..Physicaltiy, and relentless Defense is what we do best...Everything should fall in place after that we have to much talent and history to except anything else.. And i agree we DONT have to sacrifice Offense to do so either.

Edited by YashaYahu1, 01 April 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#5 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

I'm inclined to agree 100%. I don't think we have to sacrifice offense to do it either.

However, according to everyone here, our defense was great last year!!! Doesn't matter what the stats say!!! :)

Lol. I couldn't agree more.

I'd really like to see the "swarm defense" again. It's gonna mainly be on guys like Suggs and Ngata to instill this philosophy into the younger guys that are not as familiar with the way the defense used to be.

#6 YashaYahu1

YashaYahu1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

agreed

#7 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

Wow what was our D ranked verses our Offense last year........

#8 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,861 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

Wow what was our D ranked verses our Offense last year........

Why does that matter? That doesn't make our defense better than it performed.

Our defense gave up the league average for yards & points. Tells me they were pretty average.

But thanks for proving my point. Average is the new standard around here on defense.

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

#9 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,307 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

The thing is, this is a very different NFL than in 2000, being physical could end up costing you a lot of yards and first downs.

I am not disagreeing, but being must take the lead over being physical.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#10 Ravensuperfan1

Ravensuperfan1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

under Brian Billick the practices weren't that grueling though. They just brought it hard on Sundays.

Ogden talks about it during his enshrinement speech if you skip to 8:27

"You had the foresight to see. You didn't have to beat your players to death to play physical on Sunday."

so it really comes down to personnel to me. I'm not overly concerned about the defense. Still got a solid group with some key playmakers. Only areas of concern right now is safety, and potentially NT when we don't stick Ngata on the middle. Will have to see if Williams steps up.

Hopefully, we can play the run better than we did last years thats typically been the area we dominate. But offense was really the problem last year. Was like watching the Ravens offense from 2005

#11 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,796 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

Why does that matter? That doesn't make our defense better than it performed.

Our defense gave up the league average for yards & points. Tells me they were pretty average.

But thanks for proving my point. Average is the new standard around here on defense.

That sig.....haha!

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#12 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,861 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:23 AM

That sig.....haha!

Facts can sometimes be hysterical :)

#13 codizzle

codizzle

Director of Admissions- BSHU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

First time I got out of mobile version in at least 6 months and it was worth it

+35
Just WIN Out!!!

6f3898d1-1b88-4209-a3a5-ed7fe2348d4b.jpg

+35

#14 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,796 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:00 AM

Well, I challenge your "fact". It is well known what men think with, so it only makes sense that we protect that first.

But wow, this kinda info is dangerous in the wrong hands, lol

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#15 YashaYahu1

YashaYahu1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

i just read that they are sayin "Darian stewart could be our Starting Free safety" I say,  i would like him at free safety, the physicality he brings is what we need on defense, get recievers scared of us again, as long as he learns to cover deep, im ok with him as our starter...still draft pryor but make him earn his spot..this is the RAVENS defense there is a standard that has to be learned and earned before a rookie should be able to walk in and be given anything. THOUGHTS???? I also hope our new strenght and conditioning coach help him get in Top Shape to stay healthy..

#16 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,861 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

Well, I challenge your "fact". It is well known what men think with, so it only makes sense that we protect that first.

But wow, this kinda info is dangerous in the wrong hands, lol

I'm glad a guy made that point lol

It isn't that they protected it first - it's that it took 100 yrs before the importance of the 2nd tier thinking apparatus became apparent :)

Darien Stewart could be our starting FS? Hmm...not really sure that is the ball hawk I'd been waiting for at that position.

Edited by ravensdfan, 02 April 2014 - 01:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users