Ravens at Bengals      Pro Bowl Voting      #RavensPumpkin      Game Rewind   

Photo

Jimmy Smith really getting a long term extension?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 YankeeRaven

YankeeRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:57 AM

I loved the article about Torrey Smith and Jimmy Smith getting long terms extensions and the owner himself wants them to leave nowhere. I have confidence that Torrey Smith will get his long term deal done before the draft as stated and if not then before 2015 free agency no doubt, but what about Jimmy Smith? 

He will get the 5th. year option, but that is that a sign that Ravens just want to make sure he won't go anywhere or Ravens will let him play the next two years out. If thats the case and he improves steadly from the 2013 season then Jimmy can command a giant payday.

I just hope Torrey Smith and Jimmy Smith can be locked up before the draft or before training camp, they have the talent to be the next superstars on the Ravens roster.

what do you think?

#2 HoldingCall

HoldingCall

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:56 AM

“We have no doubt that we’ll be investing the (5th year) option in Jimmy when the time comes,” Harbaugh said.

What's the significant point of Harbaugh saying that instead of Ozzie?

As for Torrey, I could be wrong but if they want to sign an extension before this year's draft, couldn't that mean the FO already decided not to draft a WR with their first pick? Maybe I'm reading too much into this, or maybe not. 

#3 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:09 AM

“We have no doubt that we’ll be investing the (5th year) option in Jimmy when the time comes,” Harbaugh said.

As for Torrey, I could be wrong but if they want to sign an extension before this year's draft, couldn't that mean the FO already decided not to draft a WR with their first pick? Maybe I'm reading too much into this, or maybe not. 

I think you're reading too much into that. We still need another long-term WR for Joe to throw to. Even then, it's not like the FO would leak anything meaningful about their true intentions with the draft.

#4 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:13 AM

If I'm Jimmy, I want to wait for at least another year and back my play to improve further. Like you say, he's in for a BIG payday if he can keep improving (especially if Webb's play drops off during the next year or two).

Be nice if we could extend him, but I'm personally not expecting anything until at least after next season. He'll be expensive for sure, but at least if we can extend Torrey before the draft we can focus on re-signing Jimmy when the time comes.

#5 HoldingCall

HoldingCall

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:38 AM

I think you're reading too much into that. We still need another long-term WR for Joe to throw to. Even then, it's not like the FO would leak anything meaningful about their true intentions with the draft.

Probably right! They will likely draft the best player available regardless of position. However if Torrey is signed early, it makes things easier in the draft rather than drafting for immediate WR needs. Especially with Steve Smith on board. 

#6 orangle123

orangle123

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

I'm glad this topic was brought up, because I really think that the desire to extend the Smiths is more to do with our organization being happy with where we are with our team and wanting to use up the rest of this cap space. I think it is a sign of content, which is reassuring as a fan!

#7 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

As simple description about our FO's plan is that Only God Knows What Ozzie and his crews think.......

2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#8 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

I think you're reading too much into it. The draft is late this year, almost into June. Usually teams will make tough decisions on better players post June 1st. I think the front office just wants their salary cap 100% in place before they try to make any moves

#9 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

This is a tough spot for Jimmy. At one point, he can build off of his performance and keep raising his price.

On the other hand, I'm sure he also knows the guy across from him got paid because he showed potential and had one great season. That's basically Jimmy, and right now, he could likely command $8-$10M, especially with the rising salary cap.

Given he's struggled with injuries, you'd have to believe Jimmy would rather sign an extension now than gamble for a few extra dollars

#10 EnVy_CaLiBeR

EnVy_CaLiBeR

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

If Jimmy continues his play from last year, they'll ensure that he'll remain a Raven. He's one of our young cornerstones of our defense and the salary cap increases will help in getting deals done with our young pieces. 

"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.."-- EAP

CJ_Mosley.jpg

#11 HoldingCall

HoldingCall

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:55 AM

I think you're reading too much into it. The draft is late this year, almost into June. Usually teams will make tough decisions on better players post June 1st. I think the front office just wants their salary cap 100% in place before they try to make any moves

Probably true! I think that due to the possibility that Torrey could have a banner year signing him now will put the FO in a better spot. While holding off on Jimmy Smith may ensure they haven't made a mistake in judging his ability. It's business!

Since the Steve Smith and Jacoby Jones signing I no longer see a wr as a top "must do" unless a top prospect falls to them.  

#12 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:49 AM

If I was Jimmy I would bet on myself and the FA market, even if he gets hurt any GM looking for a big, young, shut-down corner would overlook that, we saw that this offseason with big contracts going to guys coming off injuries.

#13 tolucaraven

tolucaraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

Sign them both long-term. Jimmy is a beast. He is now one of the best CBs in the NFL. Lock him up.

#14 Tyler

Tyler

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

Wait, lock up jimmy long term? That guy is a bum! I'm pretty sure he's the guy that a few people on here tore me apart for when I suggested there was no way he should give his number to Matt Elam! Just kidding about the bum part, obviously. It's amazing what a year does, tho. Just goes to show that you can't always jump on the bust wagon.
Follow Me on Twitter:
@T_Burke58

#15 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,718 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

Jimmy's had one good season.  No reason not to wait on an extension with that 5th year option.

#16 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

Jimmy's had one good season.  No reason not to wait on an extension with that 5th year option.

He could continue improving and put himself in a position to get a huge contract after the option year.  We could also sign him now and he could regress back to his play of 2 years ago.  It's definitely a risk either way.  I can only assume that they believe that the Jimmy we saw last year is what we're going to get going forward and they want to get him locked up now.

#17 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,718 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

He could continue improving and put himself in a position to get a huge contract after the option year.  We could also sign him now and he could regress back to his play of 2 years ago.  It's definitely a risk either way.  I can only assume that they believe that the Jimmy we saw last year is what we're going to get going forward and they want to get him locked up now.

Drew is going to want big money regardless of when the extension gets done.

#18 Omerta

Omerta

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

I think this is going to be an interesting scenario. WE saw what happened when we did not bend to flacco in his contract the first time. Now it is going to be ridiculous. 

With Jimmy he is a lot like Flacco. He as not been a monster yet but we have seen glimpses. Now if he puts it together we may have another huge check to sign....if we can.

#19 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

I honestly hope we wait a good while before inking Torrey...his cap number will balloon up so hopefully we really look long and hard at every possible FA option before signing him to a big contract. 

I definitely think he is worth the money and we should be able to get him at a fair price...something along the lines of $35-42M over 5-6yrs.

I think Torrey is a great WR for us, is such an explosive  play maker,  and still has a ton of upside too. Considering his good work ethic and constant  positive attitude, he could be a beast for us in years to come and truly develop into even better wideout than he already is.

I think we will drop the 5th year option on Jimmy and see what he does for another year. I really think we need to ensure 2013 was not a fluke and that he can stay consistent in both his coverage, as well as staying healthy. If we were to resign him then see him get injured...it would be quite the disaster.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#20 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

I remember hearing in his first match how the FO feels like we can get with Jimmy what the Jets had with Revis (hopefully not TOO similar, mind....), so that suggests they've had a lot of faith in him all this time. No reason they wouldn't back him to keep getting better imo.

I still feel like Jimmy will want to back himself to keep improving and ask for a bigger contract when he can get it - just like Joe did. That's why I like the idea of extending Torrey this offseason if we can. Not to slight Torrey, but I don't think he'll end up with WR1 pay, so the sooner we lock him up the sooner we can look at Jimmy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users