Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3-4ravdef509

Smith vs. Smith

72 members have voted

1. 1. Smith vs. Smith

• Torrey ( more than 3 catches/70 yards Plus a score)
    • Jimmy ( less than 3 catches/70 yards no score )
    • About even ( About exactly 3 catches/70 yards, no score )

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

65 posts in this topic

Hypothetical situation about two of our young up and coming talents who are on the verge of being extended - who would have the advantage in a real game one on one situation: Torrey or Jimmy?

I think Torrey matches up well, as Smith (although much improved last year) has shown his Achilles heel to be deep shots over his head, especially on double moves.

What do you guys think?

Jimmy would wreck Torrey and it's not even close if you ask me.

Torrey can't do diddly poo against press corners.

I think Torrey would have a couple of big catches maybe a long TD...Jimmy is good but he can get beat at times. I would give the advantage to Jim however.

Hypothetical situation about two of our young up and coming talents who are on the verge of being extended - who would have the advantage in a real game one on one situation: Torrey or Jimmy?

I think Torrey matches up well, as Smith (although much improved last year) has shown his Achilles heel to be deep shots over his head, especially on double moves.

What do you guys think?

Im not sure a thread like this has been made but I like it. Maybe only comes up when we play former guys.

I wanna answer, but too many variables. With last years offense in mind, it's hard to have faith in Torrey, til you remember a year prior and some of the catches he had. Always been a Jimmy fan, so I'll rock with him, but Torrey might get his.

I'd say Jimmy. But given enough opportunities Torrey can burn any corner in the league, just not all the time. And he's not a big enough force to make corners pay every time QBs throw in their direction (a la Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson etc.). Jimmy has the advantage here and the scary thing is he just started "getting it". He'll get so much better in the next 1-2 years. But the question itself is odd. :D

Torrey have been the most productive player vs. Jimmy

The upside for both of them are incredibly high.   

Plus Torrey has a great durability.  Something Jimmy couldn't say b/c he had setbacks all of his NFL career.

I'd say Torrey full season.   One game, Jimmy...

Torrey have been the most productive player vs. Jimmy

The upside for both of them are incredibly high.

Plus Torrey has a great durability. Something Jimmy couldn't say b/c he had setbacks all of his NFL career.

I'd say Torrey full season. One game, Jimmy...

Look at how Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, BRandon Marshall and Josh Gordon did against Jimmy Smith. IDK how anyone could pick Torrey 1 on 1. Torrey is a beast though Jimmy played on another level last season

Gotta go with Jimmy. I also hope he gets extended before Torrey but wouldn't care as long as we get both.

Jimmy would wreck Torrey and it's not even close if you ask me.

Torrey can't do diddly poo against press corners.

Not that it matters in the here and now, but back when they were rooks in TC, Torrey ripped Jimmy a new one nearly every day.

But yeah, today, Torrey gets shut down. 2 catches for 36 yards

Not that it matters in the here and now, but back when they were rooks in TC, Torrey ripped Jimmy a new one nearly every day.

But yeah, today, Torrey gets shut down. 2 catches for 36 yards

I remember those TC highlight videos and remember those types of catches Torrey would make against Jimmy. Then I watched Torrey during the pre-season and wondered "where's that guy?"

Think people underestimate Torrey a little bit

A lot of people seem to do that around here. People respect him, but I don't think he gets the recognition or appreciation he should. I said I'd pick Jimmy, but voted it would be a tie.

A lot of people seem to do that around here. People respect him, but I don't think he gets the recognition or appreciation he should. I said I'd pick Jimmy, but voted it would be a tie.

Yeah, I mean the guy put up 1,100+ yds in one the worst offenses in the league. No pass protection and no running game. Tbh he had no one to take attention away from him in the passing game. Is he the best receiver? no, but hes been incredibly valuable to this team throughout his young career. Not to mention he seems to be one of the few bright spots off the field during this off season.

James Smith would win.... Lol.

I'd have to go with Jimmy. When you blanket and outplay Megatron.. the sky is the limit.

Jimmy also gave the world this gif:

jim-harbaugh-holding-gif.gif

/end discussion

*Niners fans everywhere cry. 

Call SB rigged

Hail Kaep as next Jesus

Call Jimmy Smith a "nobody"

I'm a defensive minded guy myself. I was thrilled back when Jimmy was drafted #1 rather than Torrey ( whom many mock drafts had us taking #1) Torrey has actually exceeded my initial expectations and has risen bar, while Jimmy has dealt with a number of things that has toughen him up to help his growth. Injuries, over thinking plays ( causing him to jump on double moves ), early on he rarely played close press coverage for fear of giving up another double move. Now he has the confidence to play bump and run, or off.

For 1 game, I believe Jimmy could hold Torrey smith under 50 yards receiving easily, Jimmy played an excellent game versus Calvin Johnson and Jordy Nelson this past season, also Jimmy has gotten really good at ripping the ball out the WRs hands as they come down and forcing them out of bounds to prevent a catch.

Torrey has the potential to burn anybody, so you can never count him out. But, he hasn't fared very well against more physical corners, so Jimmy has to be the safest bet.