40 replies to this topic

#1 DocMartin

DocMartin

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:53 PM

I don't know what to make of this signing.
Stewart, 5'11 214 lbs, has been playing at Strong Safety spot for St. Louis Rams last season. One one hand I like the guy and I believe he can help our secondary. But we have Elam at SS and we really need FS. Could Stewart be the starting Free Safety or is this Depth Move? I believe FS spot is the only weakness of this team and it needs to be addressed. Taking FS in the 1st round of Draft might be Ok, but it will still take time fo make him a Valuable Starter. Can we take a risk like that?
Pass interference is the worst penalty in football.

If you poke somebody's eyeball out, you get a a 15-yard penalty.

If you make "contact" with the receiver, it could be 60 yards

(70 yards if you have QB Joe Flacco) and an automatic 1st down.

Makes a lot of sense.

Welcome to the new NFL.

#2 balfan23

balfan23

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

I have to think this is a depth move. I agree on drafting FS in the first round .. whoever we get, he's going to make plenty of mistakes and get burned early on. I think we'll still want to consider getting a vet FS in on a short term deal, even if we draft a FS. But taking Ha Ha is a very real possibility. 

25p4y07.jpg

#3 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

He played strong safety last year but saw  time as a starter in 2011 as a free safety and had  80+ tackles,3 sacks, 1 interception, 2 force fumbles, and 11 pass deflection. He could potentially be a steal for The Ravens if he can stay healthy.

#4 DocMartin

DocMartin

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

He played strong safety last year but saw time as a starter in 2011 as a free safety and had 80+ tackles,3 sacks, 1 interception, 2 force fumbles, and 11 pass deflection. He could potentially be a steal for The Ravens if he can stay healthy.

Well, that's good news. I didn't know he played Free Safety in 2011, thanks for the info there. Ozzie & Co. had to see something in this guy to sign him. I agree he could be a steal. As of now he might be legitimate starter. I certainly expect Ravens to pick FS in draft, but Im not sure if they going to draft one in 1st round. If TE Ebron is still on the board, I would bet they take him and go for FS in 2nd round. Either way, safeties have longer time getting prepared for NFL starting job than any other spot besides QBs probably. It takes.time.for secondary to gel into the one solid unit.
Pass interference is the worst penalty in football.

If you poke somebody's eyeball out, you get a a 15-yard penalty.

If you make "contact" with the receiver, it could be 60 yards

(70 yards if you have QB Joe Flacco) and an automatic 1st down.

Makes a lot of sense.

Welcome to the new NFL.

#5 Stephenjr

Stephenjr

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

I don't know what to make of this signing.
Stewart, 5'11 214 lbs, has been playing at Strong Safety spot for St. Louis Rams last season. One one hand I like the guy and I believe he can help our secondary. But we have Elam at SS and we really need FS. Could Stewart be the starting Free Safety or is this Depth Move? I believe FS spot is the only weakness of this team and it needs to be addressed. Taking FS in the 1st round of Draft might be Ok, but it will still take time fo make him a Valuable Starter. Can we take a risk like that?

I saw on Twitter this morning that Darian is very good player, Above average speed, Real hard hitter, text book tackler, who plays great going down hill, which makes him a better SS, but he can play FS. He has had to man up against some of the best(Vernon Davis) and held his own very well. He is a better SS, but can play FS. He's no ED Reed when it comes to coverage and ball skills, but he will lay the wood in a heartbeat. His only Knack is his Durability. He has had Hamstring issues and missed 3 games last year from the issues.

I think Darian will have a real shot at being our starting FS. We most likely will use the draft for a true FS. I'm sure there will be an open competition to see who will win the starting FS gig. With Darian's experience at playing both Safety positions, He may just win the job. Worst case scenario is that he is just here for depth at SS and will help push Elam to get better.

Edited by Stephenjr, 23 March 2014 - 08:36 AM.

#6 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,743 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

You can't go wrong with a move like this.  I don't think this means that Stewart is THE option at FS, but he's certainly a backup plan.  Assuming we got him at the minimum, you can't argue with this signing at all.  Stewart isn't the option I would have liked, but when you're talking about a cap hit only slightly above what a rookie would, there's nothing to not like about this signing.  Ozzie has found gems before, and for all we know, Stewart could be another.

#7 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

I believe Spags had something to do with this signing. When he had his good year it was at FS while Spags was HC.

#8 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,981 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

He will apparently wear #29. I wish we would just give him #20. I'm not really a fan of retiring jersey numbers, and so I think that it should be reserved for Ravens for life, such as Ray Lewis and maybe Ogden. Reed has played for two teams since leaving the Ravens. He deserves a spot in the Ring of Honor, but retiring a jersey number should be something entirely different. You can't withhold all the numbers.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#9 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

He will apparently wear #29. I wish we would just give him #20. I'm not really a fan of retiring jersey numbers, and so I think that it should be reserved for Ravens for life, such as Ray Lewis and maybe Ogden. Reed has played for two teams since leaving the Ravens. He deserves a spot in the Ring of Honor, but retiring a jersey number should be something entirely different. You can't withhold all the numbers.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Ray Lewis and Ogden were two special players especially when they was our 1st two drafted players.

#10 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,743 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

I agree with the sentiment, but if I'm going to give out such a storied number, I'd give it to a young player/high draft pick that's more than likely to carry out that legend. I like the Stewart signing, but I'm not sure it would be best to give him such a legendary number so soon, especially when he's likely a short-term option.  I'm not sure that Reed's number is "retired" but I do think it should be shelved for a couple more years.  Someone will definitely wear that number again.  Just a little too soon and not the right player, in my opinion.

#11 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,510 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

I agree with the sentiment, but if I'm going to give out such a storied number, I'd give it to a young player/high draft pick that's more than likely to carry out that legend. I like the Stewart signing, but I'm not sure it would be best to give him such a legendary number so soon, especially when he's likely a short-term option.  I'm not sure that Reed's number is "retired" but I do think it should be shelved for a couple more years.  Someone will definitely wear that number again.  Just a little too soon and not the right player, in my opinion.

I volunteer myself 

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#12 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,981 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

Not necessarily a bad idea. However I still believe that such a thing, even if it only lasts for a year or two, should be reserved for Ravens for life. I could see this working though.

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#13 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,981 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

Overall I think that was a good signing, no matter what number Stewart will wear in 2014.

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

#14 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,743 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

I volunteer myself 

You're definitely worthy.

#15 Ravens1991

Ravens1991

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

Will we lose a comp pick for signing him?

#16 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,083 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

According to this article, we lost a comp pick for him:

http://russellstreet...picks-for-2015/

The acquisition of Stewart leaves the Ravens at +2 in terms of compensatory picks for 2015. When James Ihedigbo eventually signs with another team they will be back to +3. For the moment the team expects those 2015 picks to be (3) 5th round picks.

However, not to make them sound less knowledgeable than myself, but without knowing the details of the contract it's difficult to predict. I do know that veteran minimum deals and deals close to or bordering the minimum wouldn't count for or against compensatory selections. Furthermore, I find it unlikely we signed him to a lucrative deal more than the veteran minimum. I personally think he got very close to if not the minimum, so I would assume we did not lose a compensatory pick.

#17 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

I personally believe we may be downgraded a pick according to rounds. He was a UFA but not a starter while we lost 3 starters.

#18 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,083 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

Hmm... that's... interesting. After what you told me, the other day, your logic made sense, as it appeared the Darian Stewart signing would be (something) close to the veteran minimum of $925K, since it's only a 1-year contract. It just seems weird to see the Ravens (potentially) getting hit with their 2015 comp picks on a deal that small, when Graham, Art Jones, and Oher are all getting 8-figure contracts.

Well, I guess we just have to wait-and-see how this plays out...

http://m.baltimorera...91&media-type=N

This article states some good info on how this works. I don't remember where but in the article it says if you don't sign other high priced free agents they'll be OK. That's true but sometimes if you sign a guy who's above a certain amount it'll count against you even if they're not as expensive.

Personally I doubt this guy loses us a compensatory pick. I'd be surprised. I think we would need to sign someone to a contract greater than 2M to have it count against us.

#19 Ravenskid2085

Ravenskid2085

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Off topic, but...

Maybe Ogden? Ogden is the greatest left tackle to ever play, the franchise's first hall of fame player (not counting guys like Deion and Rod Woodson), was a huge part of our first super bowl win, and our first draft pick ever. While I agree with you not every number should retire, 75 is no question.

Okay, back on topic...

I like the signing alot. If Spags can get the best of him, it could provide some real depth and could possibly be a huge steal. 

Edited by Ravenskid2085, 23 March 2014 - 01:29 PM.

Posted Image

"I don't play this game for wins and losses. I play this game for hope, faith, and love".

-Ray Lewis

Super Bowl XXXV, XLVII Champions

#20 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

Leave Djangos number alone.

I think he will be good depth and was more of a security blanket signing. Have heard hes a reliable player but nothing flashy. No problem with the pick up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users