31 replies to this topic

#1 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

With the offseason being as long as it is because the Ravens really don't make a lot of moves, this should be a fun little thing to try. Who do you think will be starting for the Ravens next season? This can include players in the upcoming draft and players who are not yet on the roster, but are or could become free agents. Just something to pass the time, but still fun. Give explanations, too.

OFFENSE:

QB: Joe Flacco

Do I need to explain?

RB: Ray Rice

This is becoming less popular, but Rice has lost weight and apparently looks like a new person, much like Suggs was at the beginning of last season. This looks like it will be an amazing season for Rice.

FB: Kyle J

Not going to attempt to spell that name, but I don't think he'll be too much of a "fullback", so much as he will be used as an additional pass catcher out of the backfield and someone who could potentially carry the football at times. Just a versatile player to create more confusion.

LT: Eugene Monroe

Much like Flacco, do I have to explain?

LG: David Yankey

I went back and forth quite a bit on who to place here, but I ultimately settled on Yankey. He's fallen out of the first round in most mock drafts recently and I've read that he needs to improve his tenacity and nastiness in run blocking, which probably hurt him. Otherwise, he's a stellar player with great mobility, quickness, and footwork. He'd be an awesome addition to the ZBS and with the 8-8 teams switching their draft order every round, there's a chance the Ravens can snag Yankey before a team like the Giants or Steelers. Also, given how the Ravens are looking at 11 picks in 2015, including comp picks, the Ravens could operate a trade if needed.

C: Gino Gradkowski

Unless Alex Mack becomes available by the Browns rescinding the transition tag, don't count on the Ravens having a new face at center. They just weren't aggressive at all in "getting bigger in the interior", which disappoints me. For how cheap EDS was and how cheap BDLP would likely be, it's a head scratcher that the Ravens haven't brought a veteran in. Hell, even Will Montgomery is an upgrade who is only one season removed (2012) from a pretty great season. It's still possible that the Ravens bring in a new face, and hopefully so, but it doesn't appear that way now. Jonathan Goodwin is becoming an increasingly nice option to at least compete and push Gino.

RG: Marshal Yanda

Next

RT: Kelechi Osemele

Kelechi has said he prefers to play at left guard, but given his back issues, he should not be there. He's just too tall and bending like that could cause longterm problems. Now, Osemele needs to work on his quickness around the edge to get better at beating speed rushes, but he's a fairly good tackle with some solid upside. We could also be talking about Yankey playing out here, given his experience at tackle, but Kelechi has already proven he can play outside, so he seems like the logical choice. 

WR: Torrey Smith, Steve Smith

Torrey Smith should be quite happy to have Steve Smith on the team. Torrey will benefit greatly from Steve's route running skills, helping to improve Torrey's, and helping to take attention away from Torrey. When the Ravens go three wide, Steve will be best in the slot, but in two wide receiver sets, Steve still has decent enough speed and tenacity to play outside.

TE: Dennis Pitta, Eric Ebron

Dennis Pitta is a lock to start, but the number two tight end position (something Kubiak values quite a bit) is far from that. Depending on what the Ravens do in the first round, ASJ could very well be the starting tight end next to Pitta. But, in this scenario, it's Ebron. Ebron may not be the best blocker and gets pushed around a fair amount, but that's something he can improve on and likely will, given how much he worked his butt of this season to improve as a blocker. As a receiver, he brings a great skill set to compliment Pitta. While Pitta works the middle, Ebron is great at carrying the seam and working the deep routes. There's probably no better prospect-quarterback fit than Ebron to Joe. 

DEFENSE:

DE: Chris Canty, DeAngelo Tyson

Chris Canty will be the incumbent starter and it doesn't appear anyone will likely steal the job away. With one season in the 3-4 under his belt, I'd expect more production and better play in the pass rushing department this year. The unknown will be the other defensive end spot. As of now, it appears it will be DeAngelo Tyson, a player the Ravens weren't exactly thrilled with at the time that they drafted him. Now, it appears he could be like Art Jones and be a late pick that shines. In limited snaps, he showed pretty solid athleticism and the ability to rush the passer. He also wasn't too shabby with his run defense. Now, he won't make people forget about Art Jones right away, but the drop off shouldn't be as sharp as most assume. It will most likely feature a rotation with Kapron Lewis-Moore, but Tyson will receive most of the snaps.

NT: Haloti Ngata

The Ravens hands are kinda forced on this one due to Ngata's massive cap hit. His dedication to the game seems to be wavering and injuries have really hampered him lately. When healthy, though, few are better. Ngata is a tremendous run stuffer, no pun intended, and is very unheralded for his ability to absorb blocks. He hasn't been the same as a pass rusher recently, but you'd know if you were missing him. It's very likely that the Ravens rotate in Brandon Williams in heavily for Ngata to keep him healthy, but Ngata will be the "starter". 

OLB: Terrell Suggs, Courtney Upshaw

Terrell Suggs wasn't extended to sit on the bench. A very underrated edge-setter due to his reputation as a pass rusher, Suggs will once again man the "RUSH" outside linebacker spot. Given his extension and a full offseason to recover, the Ravens can only hope that he is as motivated as he was last season. At the "SAM", most would expect to see Elvis Dumervil, but that's a bad assumption. Dumervil is one of the worst run defending outside linebackers in the league, not showing the ability to consistently set the edge. Upshaw, on the other hand, is highly unheralded, much like Ngata, because his work isn't flashy. Upshaw sets the edge, stuffs the run, and provides an extremely physical presence in pass coverage, often beating up tight ends. He may not be a flashy pass rusher, although he is improving, but he does his job well. Who starts between Doom and Upshaw will depend on the look of the offense, but let's assume it's a standard run formation.

ILB: Daryl Smith, Arthur Brown

Many people worry about this linebacker look because most just assume that both Brown and Smith are just pass coverage linebackers. That's false. Brown was actually a great linebacker against the run in college, showing an ability to stack and shed well, and with a full offseason in the weight room and no injuries, he should be in a position to resume that in the NFL. He also shows great read and react skills and an ability to rush the passer. He will man the "WILL" linebacker spot. At the "MIKE", we have Daryl Smith. Smith wasn't terribly great against the run in 2013, but some of that honestly could be contributed to unfamiliarity with the position. In Jacksonville, Smith played OLB and was a beast. One can hope that a full season at inside linebacker has increased his comfort and made him a better defender against the run. If not, at least the Ravens have a linebacker who can cover really well and rush the passer well. It's not all bad to have two pass defending linebackers in the NFL today when you consider how big of weapons tight ends have become.

CB: Jimmy Smith, Lardarius Webb

There really isn't too much to say here.

S: Matt Elam, Chris Clemons

Maybe I'm just being optimistic here, but Chris Clemons has sat on the market for quite some time, even being allowed to walk out of Detroit (think about how bad their safeties are) without a deal. Maybe that has to do with his present asking price. Hopefully he continues to sit on the market because Ozzie would sure hate to lose out on a comp pick. Bringing in Clemons, who excels in deep coverage with his speed and quickness, would allow Matt Elam to slide back into the strong safety role and play closer to the line of scrimmage. A very underrated thing about this signing, though, is that the Ravens would have two hybrid safeties capable of playing both safety spots, making for some very interesting looks and coverage possibilities. If the Ravens are unable to rope in Clemons, Darian Stewart isn't a bad free safety option, he's just not going to provide much in terms of run support or coverage underneath.

Let me know who you think will be starting next season.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 22 March 2014 - 09:40 PM.

#2 organizedchaos007

organizedchaos007

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

With the offseason being as long as it is because the Ravens really don't make a lot of moves, this should be a fun little thing to try. Who do you think will be starting for the Ravens next season? This can include players in the upcoming draft and players who are not yet on the roster, but are or could become free agents. Just something to pass the time, but still fun. Give explanations, too.

OFFENSE:

QB: Joe Flacco

Do I need to explain?

RB: Ray Rice

This is becoming less popular, but Rice has lost weight and apparently looks like a new person, much like Suggs was at the beginning of last season. This looks like it will be an amazing season for Rice.

FB: Kyle J

Not going to attempt to spell that name, but I don't think he'll be too much of a "fullback", so much as he will be used as an additional pass catcher out of the backfield and someone who could potentially carry the football at times. Just a versatile player to create more confusion.

LT: Eugene Monroe

Much like Flacco, do I have to explain?

LG: David Yankey

I went back and forth quite a bit on who to place here, but I ultimately settled on Yankey. He's fallen out of the first round in most mock drafts recently and I've read that he needs to improve his tenacity and nastiness in run blocking, which probably hurt him. Otherwise, he's a stellar player with great mobility, quickness, and footwork. He'd be an awesome addition to the ZBS and with the 8-8 teams switching their draft order every round, there's a chance the Ravens can snag Yankey before a team like the Giants or Steelers. Also, given how the Ravens are looking at 11 picks in 2015, including comp picks, the Ravens could operate a trade if needed.

C: Gino Gradkowski

Unless Alex Mack becomes available by the Browns rescinding the transition tag, don't count on the Ravens having a new face at center. They just weren't aggressive at all in "getting bigger in the interior", which disappoints me. For how cheap EDS was and how cheap BDLP would likely be, it's a head scratcher that the Ravens haven't brought a veteran in. Hell, even Will Montgomery is an upgrade who is only one season removed (2012) from a pretty great season. It's still possible that the Ravens bring in a new face, and hopefully so, but it doesn't appear that way now. Jonathan Goodwin is becoming an increasingly nice option to at least compete and push Gino.

RG: Marshal Yanda

Next

RT: Kelechi Osemele

Kelechi has said he prefers to play at left guard, but given his back issues, he should not be there. He's just too tall and bending like that could cause longterm problems. Now, Osemele needs to work on his quickness around the edge to get better at beating speed rushes, but he's a fairly good tackle with some solid upside. We could also be talking about Yankey playing out here, given his experience at tackle, but Kelechi has already proven he can play outside, so he seems like the logical choice. 

WR: Torrey Smith, Steve Smith

Torrey Smith should be quite happy to have Steve Smith on the team. Torrey will benefit greatly from Steve's route running skills, helping to improve Torrey's, and helping to take attention away from Torrey. When the Ravens go three wide, Steve will be best in the slot, but in two wide receiver sets, Steve still has decent enough speed and tenacity to play outside.

TE: Dennis Pitta, Eric Ebron

Dennis Pitta is a lock to start, but the number two tight end position (something Kubiak values quite a bit) is far from that. Depending on what the Ravens do in the first round, ASJ could very well be the starting tight end next to Pitta. But, in this scenario, it's Ebron. Ebron may not be the best blocker and gets pushed around a fair amount, but that's something he can improve on and likely will, given how much he worked his butt of this season to improve as a blocker. As a receiver, he brings a great skill set to compliment Pitta. While Pitta works the middle, Ebron is great at carrying the seam and working the deep routes. There's probably no better prospect-quarterback fit than Ebron to Joe. 

DEFENSE:

DE: Chris Canty, DeAngelo Tyson

Chris Canty will be the incumbent starter and it doesn't appear anyone will likely steal the job away. With one season in the 3-4 under his belt, I'd expect more production and better play in the pass rushing department this year. The unknown will be the other defensive end spot. As of now, it appears it will be DeAngelo Tyson, a player the Ravens weren't exactly thrilled with at the time that they drafted him. Now, it appears he could be like Art Jones and be a late pick that shines. In limited snaps, he showed pretty solid athleticism and the ability to rush the passer. He also wasn't too shabby with his run defense. Now, he won't make people forget about Art Jones right away, but the drop off shouldn't be as sharp as most assume. It will most likely feature a rotation with Kapron Lewis-Moore, but Tyson will receive most of the snaps.

NT: Haloti Ngata

The Ravens hands are kinda forced on this one due to Ngata's massive cap hit. His dedication to the game seems to be wavering and injuries have really hampered him lately. When healthy, though, few are better. Ngata is a tremendous run stuffer, no pun intended, and is very unheralded for his ability to absorb blocks. He hasn't been the same as a pass rusher recently, but you'd know if you were missing him. It's very likely that the Ravens rotate in Brandon Williams in heavily for Ngata to keep him healthy, but Ngata will be the "starter". 

OLB: Terrell Suggs, Courtney Upshaw

Terrell Suggs wasn't extended to sit on the bench. A very underrated edge-setter due to his reputation as a pass rusher, Suggs will once again man the "RUSH" outside linebacker spot. Given his extension and a full offseason to recover, the Ravens can only hope that he is as motivated as he was last season. At the "SAM", most would expect to see Elvis Dumervil, but that's a bad assumption. Dumervil is one of the worst run defending outside linebackers in the league, not showing the ability to consistently set the edge. Upshaw, on the other hand, is highly unheralded, much like Ngata, because his work isn't flashy. Upshaw sets the edge, stuffs the run, and provides an extremely physical presence in pass coverage, often beating up tight ends. He may not be a flashy pass rusher, although he is improving, but he does his job well. Who starts between Doom and Upshaw will depend on the look of the offense, but let's assume it's a standard run formation.

ILB: Daryl Smith, Arthur Brown

Many people worry about this linebacker look because most just assume that both Brown and Smith are just pass coverage linebackers. That's false. Brown was actually a great linebacker against the run in college, showing an ability to stack and shed well, and with a full offseason in the weight room and no injuries, he should be in a position to resume that in the NFL. He also shows great read and react skills and an ability to rush the passer. He will man the "WILL" linebacker spot. At the "MIKE", we have Daryl Smith. Smith wasn't terribly great against the run in 2013, but some of that honestly could be contributed to unfamiliarity with the position. In Jacksonville, Smith played OLB and was a beast. One can hope that a full season at inside linebacker has increased his comfort and made him a better defender against the run. If not, at least the Ravens have a linebacker who can cover really well and rush the passer well. It's not all bad to have two pass defending linebackers in the NFL today when you consider how big of weapons tight ends have become.

CB: Jimmy Smith, Lardarius Webb

There really isn't too much to say here.

S: Matt Elam, Chris Clemons

Maybe I'm just being optimistic here, but Chris Clemons has sat on the market for quite some time, even being allowed to walk out of Detroit (think about how bad their safeties are) without a deal. Maybe that has to do with his present asking price. Hopefully he continues to sit on the market because Ozzie would sure hate to lose out on a comp pick. Bringing in Clemons, who excels in deep coverage with his speed and quickness, would allow Matt Elam to slide back into the strong safety role and play closer to the line of scrimmage. A very underrated thing about this signing, though, is that the Ravens would have two hybrid safeties capable of playing both safety spots, making for some very interesting looks and coverage possibilities. If the Ravens are unable to rope in Clemons, Darian Stewart isn't a bad free safety option, he's just not going to provide much in terms of run support or coverage underneath.

Let me know who you think will be starting next season.

where Doom in the defensive equation

Posted Image

#3 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

where Doom in the defensive equation

Rotate in at outside linebacker

Edited by BmoreBird22, 22 March 2014 - 10:17 PM.

#4 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

Ebron is going top 10.

#5 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,330 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

How are we getting Yankey AND Ebron?

In Ozzie We Trust

#6 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:41 PM

Very wishful thinking I guess.

It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#7 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

Ebron is going top 10.

Very wishful thinking I guess.

The value on Ebron varies quite a bit. I think he could certainly go to a team like Buffalo, but we'll have no way of knowing how things shake out. As it stands, he isn't a complete tight end. He's not a particularly great blocker and he gets pushed around quite a bit for someone his size. He also struggles with his hands at times. Many see his value between Buffalo and even past Baltimore. It really just depends.

As for Yankey, like I said, I have seen people dropping him lower and lower in their rankings because he's not an overly tenacious, nasty, or aggressive player that will go ahead and really try to drive and attack in the running game. I'm not sure if it's realistic because I'm going off a lot of what I'm reading for his stock. I'm really bad at judging draft stock. I've seen a lot of people who now have Yankey behind Xavier Su'a-Filo.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 22 March 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#8 Cawtious

Cawtious

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

Gino will get all the push he needs from our Sixth Round pick last year.  Jensen will be in the running for that starting job.  I have no doubt about this.  

Additionally, they did get "bigger" with Jensen.  I don't know why this site continues to list him at the weight he was his senior year in college.  The kid weighs 315 lbs.  He was 317 last year.  

Edited by Cawtious, 23 March 2014 - 09:00 AM.

#9 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

Juszczyk is going to be our less athletic version of Danny Woodhead.

#10 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

Gino won't start

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#11 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

I'd like to see you repost this again but after the draft.

#12 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

I'd like to see you repost this again but after the draft.

Well, we can revisit it if I remember, but a lot of the fun is the speculation of what will happen between now and then, or what could happen.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 23 March 2014 - 10:27 AM.

#13 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

Gino won't start

I think it's best to give him a chance. Yet he does have to improve upon his play from last season is he wants the job.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#14 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,634 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

I think it's accurate, except for Ebron. I like David Yankey a lot and I think he'd do great with us. I also think Gino will take the next step this season, as many centers do in their third season. 

I like KO at RT. He's surprisingly better than Oher at RT. When he played there the first time, he struggled in pass protection, primarily with quickness and footwork. Before last season, he cut weight and apparently got a bit quicker. I think he'll be better at RT than he was last time. 

I think Marlon Brown will end up starting as the number two, and Steve Smith will man the slot. I can see this scenario though.It's a toss up between Brown and Steve.

I'm very high on DeAngelo Tyson. He's stout, strong, and plays with good technique. He lacks the burst to be dominant and the height that a prototypical 3-4 DE has, but he's got strength, hustle, and technique. He had an underrated 2013 season and I'm excited to see how he does in 2014. One of my favorite guys going into the season.

Chris Clemons is a possibility. If the starting FS spot is not filled by him, it will probably be a FA. 

#15 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

QB-Flacco

RB-Rice? Pierce if Rice gets a suspension (doubt he will though)

FB-Juice

WR1-Torrey

WR2-Steve Smith

WR3-Marlon Brown/Jones (depends on down and distance)

TE- Pitta

LT-Monroe

LG-KO

C-Draft

RG-Yanda

RT-Wagner

LDE-Canty/McPhee

NT-Branden Williams

RDE-Haloti Ngata

LOLB-Suggs

MLB-Smith, Brown

ROLB-Elvis/Upshaw

CB1-Webb

CB2-Jimmy Smith

CB3-Asa Jackson

FS-Free Agency

SS-Elam

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#16 RavensNation14

RavensNation14

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

QB: Flacco

RB: Rice/Pierce

FB: Juice

WR: Torrey, Steve, Marlon/Jones

TE: Pitta, Niklas

LT: Monroe

LG: Osemele

C: Zuttah

RG: Yanda

RT: JaWuan James, Rick Wagner

LDE: Canty, Tyson

NT: Williams, Cody

RDE: Ngata

LOLB: Suggs

MLB: Daryl, Arthur

ROLB: Dumervil, Upshaw

CB: Webb, Jimmy, Asa/Chykie, draft

FS: Clinton Dix

SS: Elam 

#17 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

Rice wont be playing week one.  Count on it.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

You DO NOT know more than any coach in the NFL.  You simply do not.

#18 DocMartin

DocMartin

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

Rice wont be playing week one. Count on it.

Why not?
Is he hurt? Did he get punched by his girlfriend?
Pass interference is the worst penalty in football.

If you poke somebody's eyeball out, you get a a 15-yard penalty.

If you make "contact" with the receiver, it could be 60 yards

(70 yards if you have QB Joe Flacco) and an automatic 1st down.

Makes a lot of sense.

Welcome to the new NFL.

#19 DocMartin

DocMartin

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

There Will be 53 players on the 53-man Roster. I predict 25 on Offense and 25 on Defense. And 3 on Special Teams and they are
K Justin Tucker
P Sam Koch
LS Morgan Cox
The rest will be predicted after the Draft. Today is still too early, so don't stress about it.
Pass interference is the worst penalty in football.

If you poke somebody's eyeball out, you get a a 15-yard penalty.

If you make "contact" with the receiver, it could be 60 yards

(70 yards if you have QB Joe Flacco) and an automatic 1st down.

Makes a lot of sense.

Welcome to the new NFL.

#20 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

For some reason the "quote" button is not working on mobile.

Doc Martin, I think Rice will be serving a suspension at least week one.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

You DO NOT know more than any coach in the NFL.  You simply do not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users