JO_75

Jacoby/Tomlin: Steelers won't lose draft pick

101 posts in this topic

If this is the wrong place, I'm sorry but the NFL has announced the Steelers won't lose a draft pick nor will any draft modification take place(I.E Ravens and Steelers swapping picks, etc). I'm guessing since that really didn't change the fact we would have missed the playoffs anyway considering we had won that game they decided not to take any picks away.

In this case, I say if Tomlin wants to get in the way again.... Jacoby has full right to run right over Tomlin which would be funny to see.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/20/steelers-wont-be-docked-a-draft-pick-for-tomlins-sideline-incident/

Edited by JO_75

The nerve of that guy.  That video still ticks me off every time I think about it!  :gaah:

The sight of him does it for me.  I'm still ticked that he is viewed as some sort of bastion of "straight-shooterdom". A stand up guy.

I'm more bothered by the fact that he lies about his intent and everyone swallows it.

Tomlin's face and voice are annoying; the dude is a true liar and NFL can't even do anything about it.....what a joke...

... I'm more bothered by the fact that he lies about his intent and everyone swallows it.

People don't "swallow" it, but just like when politicians lie, there are no consequences in today's society.

Edited by Bruce_Almty

People don't "swallow" it, but just like when politicians lie, there are no consequences in today's society.

I'm sure most rational people realize his intent and that he lies about it but that won't stop the hero worship from the media.

As much as I wanted every possible consequence for them, I didn't really expect more than what he got. If he would have made contact with Jacoby that's another story. Although I do feel like he altered Jacoby's movement in a way, it would have been hard to defend it.

Can't even argue that it was unintentional it was a scumbag move and a lose of a 7th would have been warranted.

Just another example of the influence that the "old guard" owners have on the NFL.  The Rooneys and Krafts will always be catered to.

I'm still ticked off that there was no team penalty.

Oh yes, punish the whole team for Tomlin's action because that makes so much sense. He acted alone and should be punished alone. Come on.

Don't see why everyone's so shocked and upset. It's over with. They were never going to lose a pick. Big woop. 

.........am I the only one who thought Tomlin breathe the breath of life back into the Ravens vs Steelers beef with his stupidity.........

In a related note, the NFL has a new rule that you're allowed to take drugs if you can prove they didn't actually help you play better.

While I'd like the draft pick one thing remains the same. Pittsburgh is getting old fast, the Ravens are rebuilding with youth. If I was one of "them" I'd be more worried about Cleveland than we will ever be! Tomlin just showed it with that classless move, I just laugh and wait for payback. The right way!

their team penalty is that they are stuck with tomlin as head coach.

While I'd like the draft pick one thing remains the same. Pittsburgh is getting old fast, the Ravens are rebuilding with youth. If I was one of "them" I'd be more worried about Cleveland than we will ever be! Tomlin just showed it with that classless move, I just laugh and wait for payback. The right way!

Haha. Couldn't agree any more. The best part is that they're good enough to not draft in the Top 10, but not good enough to make the playoffs. 100k fine to just Tomlin was sufficient. 

Meh'

I am SO over this...

I never get over anything bad relating to the Ravens/squealers.

This almost makes me wish they won that game now with their 2 point conversion. They are pretty much saying the Steelers as a team got away with this one.

Punishment should have been the same magnitude in either scenario. And heck, intent shouldn't even matter in my opinion. Nobody knows what was going through this man's head, so just take the action for what it is and give the same punishment to anybody unless the team repeats violations. Repeat individuals receive increasing fines/suspensions.

And I don't get how they were 'ahead of us in the playoff race' but pick before us. Nothing about this feels right to me!

i was actually surprised about how people in media try to make excuse and how they try to brush it off is not that big of a deal. or make it sound like he didn't know where he was on the  field.

I didn't think they should have lost a pick however, even though they finished above us in the division, they're picking ahead of us. I think the picks should have been swapped out and we picked ahead of them. That would have been fair.

I can't say I'd want Jacoby to run him over on that play because he might wind up injuring himself.

I don't like the team penalty idea (losing draft picks etc) unless it's an on field penalty like first and 10 from the opponent's 10. Possibly a future game suspension or sideline ejection along with a fine could be appropriate with an on the field penalty.  

Edited by HoldingCall

Twinkle Toed Tomlin put his foot out on the field deliberately.

I have watched the video more then the Zapruder film .

He's a liar !!!

I'm sure most rational people realize his intent and that he lies about it but that won't stop the hero worship from the media.

Firstly, I am hardly a Steeler supporter, being a good purple blooded Ravens fan. Neither do I idolize Tomlin in anyway. To be honest I really do not know anything about the man outside of his contact with the Ravens. The only coaches I follow are ours.

And I am rational, extremely so. I live my life by rationality, and I cannot say without a doubt that he purposely got in the way. Actually anyone that does claim he got in the way on purpose is being irrational, unless someone here can read minds... Anyone?

Didn't think so.

No one here or anywhere can possibly KNOW his mind, except for Tomlin. He claims that he did not do it on purpose. There is no irrefutable evidence to the contrary. Yes I saw the tape. It shows a guy on the field with his back to the play. It is very possible he was unaware of where he was in conjunction to the action. I am hardly saying that scenario is probable, but certainly possible.

Lets put it this way, in an actual court, he would be found innocent. Certainly people will have differing opinions, most colored by their emotions, not by logic or reason. They may FEEL he did it on purpose, but unless he actually admits it, there is no way anyone can KNOW that he was wrong.

Now don't get me wrong. I am not saying that it was not a big deal. It WAS a huge deal. A coach whether purposely or accidentally getting in the way of a play is huge. And a ref standing right there and actually having to go around the coach without tossing a flag is as close to criminal as we are ever likely to see in the NFL.

A paltry fine for the coach and nothing for the ref is insulting. Tomlin should have been hugely fined and suspended for several games and the ref should have been fired.

Edited by jaege

Firstly, I am hardly a Steeler supporter, being a good purple blooded Ravens fan. Neither do I idolize Tomlin in anyway. To be honest I really do not know anything about the man outside of his contact with the Ravens. The only coaches I follow are ours.

And I am rational, extremely so. I live my life by rationality, and I cannot say without a doubt that he purposely got in the way. Actually anyone that does claim he got in the way on purpose is being irrational, unless someone here can read minds... Anyone?

Didn't think so.

No one here or anywhere can possibly KNOW his mind, except for Tomlin. He claims that he did not do it on purpose. There is no irrefutable evidence to the contrary. Yes I saw the tape. It shows a guy on the field with his back to the play. It is very possible he was unaware of where he was in conjunction to the action. I am hardly saying that scenario is probable, but certainly possible.

Lets put it this way, in an actual court, he would be found innocent. Certainly people will have differing opinions, most colored by their emotions, not by logic or reason. They may FEEL he did it on purpose, but unless he actually admits it, there is no way anyone can KNOW that he was wrong.

Now don't get me wrong. I am not saying that it was not a big deal. It WAS a huge deal. A coach whether purposely or accidentally getting in the way of a play is huge. And a ref standing right there and actually having to go around the coach without tossing a flag is as close to criminal as we are ever likely to see in the NFL.

A paltry fine for the coach and nothing for the ref is insulting. Tomlin should have been hugely fined and suspended for several games and the ref should have been fired.

Didn't think so.

wow...someone with common sense. I truly do not understand the people that are saying they watched the tape over and over  again and state they hate Tomlin and that he intentionally did what he did and he is a liar....REALLY?????  ( Mind you, in FRONT of millions of fans and slow motion tape).  What do you think he was going to say afterwards ?what kind of lunatic would think that it would be a good idea to go onto a field in broad daylight and try and interfere with a runner.   Now having said that....Tomlin should have been ejected, Steelers should have been assessed a personal foul and the 100,000 fine was appropriate although extremely high for a first offense. But the fine fit the stupidity.   There was NO EXCUSE for him being on the field.   If anyone can find one owner/coach around the league that thinks Tomlin character is questionable then you can believe anything you want.  Harbaugh will NEVER say Tomlin did not do it intentionally BUT I KNOW he truly believes that it was simply a stupid error on Tomlin's part.  Enough said ,  believe what you want if it makes you feel better but know that if the league thought for one minute that Tomlin was capable of such stupidity , Steelers would have lost a 1st round pick and the organization would have been fined 1,000,000.  period.  Tomlin's a class act if anything..in life and on the field. 

Now that we have addressed stuff that happened on the field last year, don't you guys think you should turn your attention to what your players are doing OFF the field this year?  lol   As I recall, one was caught on tape and in slow motion also....hmmmmmmmmm   As  I recall your fans saying about Mr Rice is that it is not in his character to do something like this...sooo at least use the same rational in both cases .

wow...someone with common sense. I truly do not understand the people that are saying they watched the tape over and over  again and state they hate Tomlin and that he intentionally did what he did and he is a liar....REALLY?????  ( Mind you, in FRONT of millions of fans and slow motion tape).  What do you think he was going to say afterwards ?what kind of lunatic would think that it would be a good idea to go onto a field in broad daylight and try and interfere with a runner.   Now having said that....Tomlin should have been ejected, Steelers should have been assessed a personal foul and the 100,000 fine was appropriate although extremely high for a first offense. But the fine fit the stupidity.   There was NO EXCUSE for him being on the field.   If anyone can find one owner/coach around the league that thinks Tomlin character is questionable then you can believe anything you want.  Harbaugh will NEVER say Tomlin did not do it intentionally BUT I KNOW he truly believes that it was simply a stupid error on Tomlin's part.  Enough said ,  believe what you want if it makes you feel better but know that if the league thought for one minute that Tomlin was capable of such stupidity , Steelers would have lost a 1st round pick and the organization would have been fined 1,000,000.  period.  Tomlin's a class act if anything..in life and on the field. 

Now that we have addressed stuff that happened on the field last year, don't you guys think you should turn your attention to what your players are doing OFF the field this year?  lol   As I recall, one was caught on tape and in slow motion also....hmmmmmmmmm   As  I recall your fans saying about Mr Rice is that it is not in his character to do something like this...sooo at least use the same rational in both cases .

haha......  Don't try to deflect the actions of that scum bag Tomlin by looking at dumb off field actions by young players. They will disciplined as deemed necessary.  

No desire to revisit this, but if you really don't believe his action of moving into JJ's path was purposeful you are being naive. He used the jumbotron as a rear view mirror and timed his "jump" perfectly. He knew exactly what he was doing and compromised the integrity of the game. 

haha......  Don't try to deflect the actions of that scum bag Tomlin by looking at dumb off field actions by young players. They will disciplined as deemed necessary.  

No desire to revisit this, but if you really don't believe his action of moving into JJ's path was purposeful you are being naive. He used the jumbotron as a rear view mirror and timed his "jump" perfectly. He knew exactly what he was doing and compromised the integrity of the game.

Man, I hate to be put in the position of fighting for the Steelers but that is an assumption not based upon fact but emotion. There is no irrefutable evidence that Tomlin did anything on purpose. None. The tape is not irrefutable by any means. It shows a guy with his back to the play, likely watching the big screen. Once he saw that the action brought him onto the screen he jumped, as if startled.

Was that intentional to disrupt the play? I do not know. No reasonable person using logic rather then bias can know without reading Tomlin's mind. And I am going out on a limb here and assuming you cannot read minds. I get the Steelers hate, but we hardly have to create fact from fantasy to find things not to like about that organization.

But I agree, he is trying to deflect. Rice's offseason shenanigans have nothing to do with what Tomlin may or may not have done during a game.

ckgiesl,

As to what Harbaugh may or may not say, I do not believe that he actually accused Tomlin of doing anything on purpose either, at least not seriously. In the interview he was joking with the reporters from what I remember.

Edited by jaege

Man, I hate to be put in the position of fighting for the Steelers but that is an assumption not based upon fact but emotion. There is no irrefutable evidence that Tomlin did anything on purpose. None. The tape is not irrefutable by any means. It shows a guy with his back to the play, likely watching the big screen. Once he saw that the action brought him onto the screen he jumped, as if startled.

Was that intentional to disrupt the play? I do not know. No reasonable person using logic rather then bias can know without reading Tomlin's mind. And I am going out on a limb here and assuming you cannot read minds. I get the Steelers hate, but we hardly have to create fact from fantasy to find things not to like about that organization.

As to what Harbaugh may or may not say, I do not believe that he actually accused Tomlin of doing anything on purpose either, at least not seriously. In the interview he was joking with the reporters from what I remember.

It's not blind steeler's hate, it's just how I and many others saw it. Not only was he watching the screen, at the last second he peeked back over his shoulder as well. Startled?  haha  Why did he move into the field of play rather than away from it?  Believe what you want, it was obviously a purposeful move to disrupt the play.

It's not blind steeler's hate, it's just how I and many others saw it. Not only was he watching the screen, at the last second he peeked back over his shoulder as well. Startled?  haha  Why did he move into the field of play rather than away from it?  Believe what you want, it was obviously a purposeful move to disrupt the play.

I am not talking about what I believe. I am talking about what can be proven. It was not obvious. If it were, then there would be no discussion. The FACT that there are numerous opinions proves that it is not obvious. In the cold light of logic without passion or bias, we cannot say for certain. There is not enough evidence.

You ask why he peeped over his shoulder or sort of stepped forward before moving back. I don't know. Confusion? Senility? A senior moment? Willful intent to ruin the play? Tomlin is the only one that knows.

Now as far as what I do believe, Tomlin has never struck me as a cheater. He doesn't strike me as a "win at all costs" type of guy either. I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt and accept stupidity for the move.

I am not talking about what I believe. I am talking about what can be proven. It was not obvious. If it were, then there would be no discussion. The FACT that there are numerous opinions proves that it is not obvious. In the cold light of logic without passion or bias, we cannot say for certain. There is not enough evidence.

You ask why he peeped over his shoulder or sort of stepped forward before moving back. I don't know. Confusion? Senility? A senior moment? Willful intent to ruin the play? Tomlin is the only one that knows.

Now as far as what I do believe, Tomlin has never struck me as a cheater. He doesn't strike me as a "win at all costs" type of guy either. I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt and accept stupidity for the move.

Whatever..........  The guy stands on the sideline probably 60% of his waking hours. He knew exactly where he was, and what he was doing.  puleeeezzze!

Just another example of the influence that the "old guard" owners have on the NFL.  The Rooneys and Krafts will always be catered to.

I am truly disappointed that there was no Team Penalty.  Fining the transgressor, or even suspending him for games, will not prevent recurrence.  This isn't the first time a Pittsburgh coach has been on the field of play during a play and now it won't be the last, because there has been no organizational disincentive.  In fact, its quite the contrary to that now.

What this does is help illustrate what the NFL is becoming.  As Mark Cuban recently said, this organization is doing its level best to begin it's own descent.  I'm optimistic Baseball is coming back as America's favored pass-time.

Swing away!

Well, the power to perceive is the key here. If you didn't see it, there's others that can't view a collegiate player and tell if he's a pro.

Let them keep the pick. They're older than dirt and Cleveland's sneaking up on them. :oldwiseman:

yeah we have completely ignored the ray rice situation... its not like there is a 40+ page thread discussing the subject or anything.  at least, not as i recall...

Well, the power to perceive is the key here. If you didn't see it, there's others that can't view a collegiate player and tell if he's a pro.

Are you claiming that you perceived something that I failed to? If so enlighten me.

I agree that it is about perception. Most choose to perceive through the inaccurate focus of emotion, rather than the clear view of reason. Which is fine. That is a perfectly valid and reasonable way to view things.I am not saying that anyone is wrong in their opinion, I am pointing out that they are incorrect when they claim that opinion to be fact .I am not even saying that I believe that Tomlin was not aware of what he was doing. I am saying there is no irrefutable proof that he did something wrong. That doesn't mean he didn't, it just means it cannot be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. 

Considering this, I wish jacoby ran Tomlin over....

I wished that when it happened. I wished he had plowed over the fool and left him in a broken pile. JJ is too nice a guy.

I wished that when it happened. I wished he had plowed over the fool and left him in a broken pile. JJ is too nice a guy.

Hah! I really wanted him to just give him a straight stiff arm to the dome, as if he was just a defender out there. That would have been a classic reaction to the oddness that was that play. 

Hah! I really wanted him to just give him a straight stiff arm to the dome, as if he was just a defender out there. That would have been a classic reaction to the oddness that was that play. 

Lol. Even better! Less chance that JJ gets hurt that way. Although a couple footprints on Tomlin's back would have been cool too.

Now wait a minute. Since Tomlin was not meaningfully on the field if Jacoby hit him that would be 15 yards on us and an ejection for #12. Can't swing both ways here, poor simple minded Tomlin misguided himself near the field and now you want JJ to lower the boom? That would mean that you feel Tomlin was somehow in the wrong and needed punishment.

I for one think that Tomlin is a cheating low life and wish that Courtney Upshaw had laid the boom on him! Be nice to see JJ running through the road kill that was a former cheating stealer.

When the Stealers visiting us this year, you know his cheat foot GIF will be on the Jumbo screen.....

PS: Jacoby needs to come up his Tomin's cheat foot break dance for his TD celebration.....

Edited by AsianRice

Now wait a minute. Since Tomlin was not meaningfully on the field if Jacoby hit him that would be 15 yards on us and an ejection for #12. Can't swing both ways here, poor simple minded Tomlin misguided himself near the field and now you want JJ to lower the boom? That would mean that you feel Tomlin was somehow in the wrong and needed punishment.

I for one think that Tomlin is a cheating low life and wish that Courtney Upshaw had laid the boom on him! Be nice to see JJ running through the road kill that was a former cheating stealer.

I never claimed that he wasn't on the field, since he was, indeed, on the field. That was obvious from the tape. He was also, obviously interfering with the play. The tape doesn't lie about that either since he was in the runners path. The only thing that we cannot be certain of, from the tape, is whether or not he was on the field purposely or accidentally. The tape doesn't show us intent. Not to say that the whole thing doesn't "smell" funny. Tomlin laughing afterward, the way he moved once it became painfully obvious that he was in the way. Either way though, if JJ had run him down, there would be no penalty since any man on the field is considered to be a "player" and can be treated as such. Actually the Steelers could have been flagged for 12 men on the field, amongst other things.

Did you consider Tomlin to be a "cheating lowlife" before this incident and what did you base that opinion on? I am seriously curious. I really do not know anything about the guy. I am just wondering if all the vitriol is based upon other things he has done. Certainly if he has a history of questionable behavior, then the negative opinions would be understandable, and then I would have to reassess my opinion on the matter.

And I don't mean him being the Steelers HC. The rivalry is great but in the end these are just guys doing a job, not some vile threat to humanity. I love to "hate" the Steelers during the season along with the rest of the Ravens fans, but I don't wish any of them any sort of harm.

Well, maybe a couple of them. I did enjoy Ben's broken nose, ala Ngata, and those big hits on Whines Hard were always fun, but he was such a cheap shot artist anyway.

Edited by jaege

I never claimed that he wasn't on the field, since he was, indeed, on the field. That was obvious from the tape. He was also, obviously interfering with the play. The tape doesn't lie about that either since he was in the runners path. The only thing that we cannot be certain of, from the tape, is whether or not he was on the field purposely or accidentally. The tape doesn't show us intent. Not to say that the whole thing doesn't "smell" funny. Tomlin laughing afterward, the way he moved once it became painfully obvious that he was in the way. Either way though, if JJ had run him down, there would be no penalty since any man on the field is considered to be a "player" and can be treated as such. Actually the Steelers could have been flagged for 12 men on the field, amongst other things.

You are either new to the NFL or haven't watched in a few years. In the Goodell NFL the kinder gentler approach is the new norm. You seriously think Tomlin (a non player) getting trucked by Jacoby Jones (a player) would result in a foul on Pittsburgh??

No way! In this day and age, if a player strikes a head coach, bet on Unsportsmanlike and an ejection. Jacoby would have been booted from the field of play.

As for cheating, I can not pull the video. Maybe some one here has it on their system. Dig up two years ago on 3rd and a long 1-2, Pouncy picks up the ball and moves it forward a couple of inches. Then gets called back to the huddle, then returns and moves the ball again. This is all pre snap! If memory serves right Pouncey does this three of four times and it results in a 3rd and inches. It is clear on tape, and any head coach that allows this to go on is as dirty as the cheating center.

Anyone able to pull the video? Believe it was 2011 at M&T.