Ravens at Steelers      Game Rewind      Pro Bowl Voting   

Photo

Cap Space decisions

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Ed Dickson?...? (71 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should we spend the cap space and money on?

1. 5th string TE Ed Dickson (3 votes [2.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.40%

2. FS Thomas decoud (15 votes [12.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

3. Voted FS Chris Clemons (31 votes [24.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.80%

4. OT Eric Winston (16 votes [12.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.80%

5. Voted C Brian De La Puente (45 votes [36.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.00%

6. C Fernando Velasco (4 votes [3.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.20%

7. C Will Montgomery (7 votes [5.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.60%

8. C Jonathan Goodwin (4 votes [3.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.20%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Underdogsontop!

Underdogsontop!

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

Ed Dickson has had his chances and we are not sitting pretty with our O line and FS situation. So why resign dickson?? I feel we should cut ties with him and go in a direction that will benefit the team. We desperately needed him to step up last year, and I feel he let us down. Not completely but I think we expected more then what he gave. So unless he plays for free, I feel the FO should invest elsewhere. What y'all think?

#2 cobrajet

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,015 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

@Underdogsontop!.......I agree.

#3 Underdogsontop!

Underdogsontop!

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

@Underdogsontop!.......I agree.

thanks... Had to send this out there. Lets get this FA on a roll!

#4 Omerta

Omerta

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

Neither. Address things through the draft.

We still have to resign Jimmy and Torrey next year. Save the cap for our own so we will have our nucleus for three years or so.

Also next year Mackcould be unrestricted if we are feeling fancy and can afford it. We have also given funk another year to see if he is as bad as we think. Unless a camp cut happens we should quit while we are ahead.

Edited by Omerta, 18 March 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#5 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,817 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

9 million in cap space - 5 million for draft/final 2 roster spots/emergency leaves about 4 million to play with. A veteran center, RT, and FS would be my priorities.

@gabefergy

#6 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Bring in a center and Chris Clemons.

Edited by Ravenslifer, 18 March 2014 - 01:56 PM.

#7 Underdogsontop!

Underdogsontop!

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

That's what I'm hoping for.

#8 radicals

radicals

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

'5th String TE' haha
I think we should be trying to get Clemons and Montgomery.

#9 Gtown Purple

Gtown Purple

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

I doubt Dickson's contract is that much of a cap hit being as we have waited until the second week to offer him one. That tells me other teams aren't coming to call. Dickson would be good depth and Kubiak's offense utilizes the TE alot. I think we address OL and FS with second tier FA our training camp cuts. I see us going WR in the first round and building depth on the line in other rounds. I also expect us to pick up a QB to be a backup/groom project. Ozzie's right player right price mantra will win out. Don't think we aren't done with cuts either.

#10 RavensNation14

RavensNation14

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

I think everyone just needs to take a chill pill and wait. If we spend all of our money right now, what happens if others players come who are better and sign for cheaper. Ozzie is the best in the business and know's exactly what he is doing right now. The market is completely dead for the players who are still out there and they will be there for some time. There is a reason teams are not contacting them. I can see us making 1-2 more moves before/right after the draft to add some veterans for our rookie class. For now I don't see us signing anyone that's out there. 

#11 RavensFanInCA

RavensFanInCA

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:26 PM

I'm still hoping that the Ravens last 2 key, off-season acquisitions will be Chris Clemons and Brian De La Punete.

Clemons will provide very solid coverage back deep; and, although he isn't a ball-hawk, he appears to smart and knows where the football is. Clemons can sign for a small, yet decent contract for two-or-three years. I'm not a fan of DeCoud, otherwise (as he's completely hit-or-miss and it would pretty much be another Michael Huff situation, honestly). I just hope the Ravens don't overvalue Haha Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor and draft them with their first-round pick; neither seem to be that great in a year were there the draft isn't deep with safeties.

As for De La Punete, he is the best, possible center left on the free agent market. I can't trust Gino Gradkowski at center, any longer. In fact, I think he's better suited for guard (i.e. The position he mostly played in college.) in large part due to lacking the mentality to play at center in the NFL.

After that, I think the Ravens will move Kelechi Osemele back to right guard (while Ricky Wagner remains the back-up); and, it's looking like Zack Martin will be drafted by Baltimore, which would be an ideal move, as he can play left guard in a zone-blocking scheme, will also having the ability to play tackle, as well.

Are we moving Yanda somewhere?

#12 Sami84

Sami84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

if we draft martin i think he could play anywhere along the line. Keep KO at LG

#13 RavensNation14

RavensNation14

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

if we draft martin i think he could play anywhere along the line. Keep KO at LG

Exactly and if Martin isn't great at RT, we can kick Martin to LG and try Osemele at RT. Just having more options and having guys we know who are successful is what we need on our line. We invested in a franchise QB, now its time to protect him. 

#14 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

A veteran center. Then look at tying up Torrey maybe if there is any money left. But Dickson is hardly going to eat up any appreciable cap space. We could keep him for a song. Who else is going to want him?

It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#15 baltimorefan328

baltimorefan328

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

Neither. Address things through the draft.

We still have to resign Jimmy and Torrey next year. Save the cap for our own so we will have our nucleus for three years or so.

Also next year Mackcould be unrestricted if we are feeling fancy and can afford it. We have also given funk another year to see if he is as bad as we think. Unless a camp cut happens we should quit while we are ahead.

Just a small point, but the Ravens I believe actually exercised their option with Jimmy, so we actually control him for 2 more years as opposed to this being the final year or Torrey's deal. Now I still think we need to sign him long term so that shouldn't change too much in the overall scheme of things 

#16 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

Its really a shame we probably won't get Alex Mack, that would be our best situation to be honest. According to reports, the old regime would let Mack walk in FA and tag Ward. What a shame. Nevertheless, getting De La Puente and preferable Clemons (or even Decoud) would be second best to getting Alex Mack. 

Owner/GM/Coach of the Shaolin Cuban Lynx

Diggs (Quandre) and Diggs(Stefon) 2015!

#17 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

Its really a shame we probably won't get Alex Mack, that would be our best situation to be honest. According to reports, the old regime would let Mack walk in FA and tag Ward. What a shame. Nevertheless, getting De La Puente and preferable Clemons (or even Decoud) would be second best to getting Alex Mack. 

Actually, I'd rather get de la Puente over Mack - Mack is definitely an elite center, but the question would be do you need an elite center, or could you live with a very good one like DLP and still have the advantage of leftover money for other positions? If the choice is between either just Mack or DLP and Clemons together, I like the second option better and it's what I'm hoping for.

#18 Donte19

Donte19

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

I prefer to save it, invest in locking up jimmy and torrey we need them and prefer to spend the money on them so they don't get close to FA next year, I heard the cap will increase again next year and hope that FA will be better next year

#19 Medications

Medications

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

9 million in cap space - 5 million for draft/final 2 roster spots/emergency leaves about 4 million to play with. A veteran center, RT, and FS would be my priorities.

I'm pretty sure our rookie cap hit will not be $5M this year.  We will only have 8 picks max going into this draft, vs. the 12 we had last year, and our rookie signings last year was only like $1.2M against our salary cap or something, at least at the time of this article which better explains how the rookie pool works against the salary cap and how it's less than people think: http://russellstreet...ap-Really-Work/

I'm not sure what it actually wound up being, but it couldn't have been much more than that.  

OTC right now has our estimated rookie cap hit at $1.7M before comp picks, of which we're expected to receive 4 (Kruger, Ellerbe, Reed, Williams), which would give us 8 total.  So that $1.7M is based off a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th round pick.  Even if that $1.7M estimate doubles, that'd only be $3.4M.  Either way, the draft won't require $5M of our current $9M salary cap space.

http://overthecap.co...pool-estimates/

Edited by Medications, 18 March 2014 - 09:24 PM.

- Ryan |Posted Image | Posted Image

#20 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,817 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

I'm pretty sure our rookie cap hit will not be $5M this year. We will only have 8 picks max going into this draft, vs. the 12 we had last year, and our rookie signings last year was only like $1.2M against our salary cap or something, at least at the time of this article which better explains how the rookie pool works against the salary cap and how it's less than people think: http://russellstreet...ap-Really-Work/

I'm not sure what it actually wound up being, but it couldn't have been much more than that.

OTC right now has our estimated rookie cap hit at $1.7M before comp picks, of which we're expected to receive 4 (Kruger, Ellerbe, Reed, Williams), which would give us 8 total. So that $1.7M is based off a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th round pick. Even if that $1.7M estimate doubles, that'd only be $3.4M. Either way, the draft won't require $5M of our current $9M salary cap space.

http://overthecap.co...pool-estimates/

Did you even read what I said? Rookie contracts + filling out the final 53 + emergency cap room in case of injuries/mid season signings.

Teams never spend all the way to the cap.

@gabefergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users