Upcoming Events:  Lil Ravens Camp      Training Camp Stadium Practices      Movie Night   

Photo

Dean Pees

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 BSHU_Miami

BSHU_Miami

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:41 AM

The defense was good last year, but I feel we would be much better as an attacking aggressive defense. Luckily we don't have to look very far for a new DC. I would love for Spags to get the promotion and run this defense. Spags is the coach IMO that would take the defense to the next level.

Edited by BSHU_Miami, 18 March 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#2 Hardbaugh

Hardbaugh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:08 AM

I thought Pees performance was outstanding last season.

Keep in mind.

The offense was three and out city.

The offense on numerous occasions put the defense behind the eight ball with in a high amount of turnovers.

The defense had no centerfielder  and attempting to defend with two SS because of the failed Micheal Huff experiment. (Not MMQBing here because I liked the move, facts are facts though.)

Both previous mentioned combined for a -5 turnover differential good for 22nd in the league.

Finished in the top 5 in red zone scoring (TD's) and getting off the field on 3rd down.

The team finished in the top ten in most if not all defensive metrics and would have been better if the offense not played historically poor. (see worst running game in history)

I'd caution be careful what you wish for see Moeller/Castillo experiment.

#3 edthehead

edthehead

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:55 AM

Does anyone else feel like this is a make or break year for Pees? The defense was good last year, but I feel we would be much better as an attacking aggressive defense. Luckily we don't have to look very far for a new DC. I would love for Spags to get the promotion and run this defense. Spags is the coach IMO that would take the defense to the next level.

Dan did do a decent job last year not so much when it counted,but I have often said we need to get back to our aggressive roots ORGANIZED CHAOS,,,I do not see that in pees he is decent DC,we are a harbo team ,,,, 

#4 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

Keep in mind.

The offense on numerous occasions put the defense behind the eight ball with in a high amount of turnovers.

The defense had no centerfielder  and attempting to defend with two SS because of the failed Micheal Huff experiment. (Not MMQBing here because I liked the move, facts are facts though.)

Both previous mentioned combined for a -5 turnover differential good for 22nd in the league.

Finished in the top 5 in red zone scoring (TD's) and getting off the field on 3rd down.

The team finished in the top ten in most if not all defensive metrics and would have been better if the offense not played historically poor. (see worst running game in history)

Preach it. Pees has done a great job with what we have given him

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#5 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

Keep in mind.

Yes sir!

#Mili

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I May be Done but I'm not Gone!"

- Ray Lewis

#6 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

As Hardbaugh pointed out, I dont see how its "make or break" for Pees when the defense improved in nearly every category. The fourth quarter slip ups in several games were as much to do with our largely futile offense and new defensive pieces still getting their chemistry going as it was with Pees' playcalling. Im sure there were some things he may have been able to do better in hindsight but nothing to make this a figurative do or die season for him.

#7 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

I'd hardly call it make or break. He's a fine defensive coordinator, and while he had his lapses late in the game, I think that's fixable.

I feel his biggest problem is just not being aggressive enough. If he were more blitz heavy or more exotic, I think we'd be better, but the Ravens certainly aren't bad.

#8 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,691 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

Does anyone else feel like this is a make or break year for Pees? The defense was good last year, but I feel we would be much better as an attacking aggressive defense. Luckily we don't have to look very far for a new DC. I would love for Spags to get the promotion and run this defense. Spags is the coach IMO that would take the defense to the next level.

Pass rush wise Spags is one of the better ones when it comes to generating pressure with 4, but I question his ability as a DC for an entire defense when theres not 4 studs on the Dline.

#9 JEEPercreepermd

JEEPercreepermd

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

Pees has done a good job. I agree with everything Hardbaugh said. If the offense wasn't so terrible last season, the defensive statistics would have been much, much better.  Pees usually calls a pretty good game, and often some of the defensive lapses that happened from time to time last year were just piss poor execution rather than having the wrong defense or personnel on the field.

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" - Steve Prefontaine

#10 ThePurpleWall

ThePurpleWall

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

nope, hes doing great, he doesn't make the tackles I guess people forget that.

Ray Lewis"in any war who pulls their General out?,Nobody,when ever i put on that Jersey,ever man in this building believes in one thing,whatever our General says we Follow bottom Line"

Ray Lewis is the Leader of this Franchise.

#11 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

Also with Ngata's decline it's hard to rush 4 anymore.  When Pagano was here Ngata was dominant.  Now he's a shadow of himself.  

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#12 Bravens292

Bravens292

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

If we had a middle of the road offense last year, that defense would've been borderline top 5. The amount of time the defense was on the field skewed the numbers they gave up. I'll give Pees credit, he dealt with a lot of injuries our SB year and a lot of moving parts last year. Ngata being terrible and injured, Suggs and Dumervil both slowing down and getting injured by the halfway point, playing 2 SS's next to each other, and webb playing not as good after knee surgery didn't help things. We took our defense for granted last year. they were the sole reason we were close to contending. heck, we won a game without scoring a touchdown.  

Edited by Bravens292, 18 March 2014 - 02:10 PM.

"Thats what white guys do when they're excited" - Joe Flacco

#13 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,020 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

If we had a middle of the road offense last year, that defense would've been borderline top 5. The amount of time the defense was on the field skewed the numbers they gave up. I'll give Pees credit, he dealt with a lot of injuries our SB year and a lot of moving parts last year. Ngata being terrible and injured, Suggs and Dumervil both slowing down and getting injured by the halfway point, playing 2 SS's next to each other, and webb playing not as good after knee surgery didn't help things. We took our defense for granted last year. they were the sole reason we were close to contending. heck, we won a game without scoring a touchdown.

The defense was really not on the field all that much. TOP was generally in our favor going into the 4th quarter and didn't shift until the defense gave up a long drive. Also fact: the overall TOP for the year was darn near even.
10wmids.jpg

#14 Bravens292

Bravens292

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

The defense was really not on the field all that much. TOP was generally in our favor going into the 4th quarter and didn't shift until the defense gave up a long drive. Also fact: the overall TOP for the year was darn near even.

Even in amount of snaps too? Its an observation but it definitely felt like the D was always on the field.

"Thats what white guys do when they're excited" - Joe Flacco

#15 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

I don't think it's a make or break year for Pees but let's clear up a few things.

The defense did not "improve" from the previous year. Their ranking improved, yes, which only means more teams performed worse than they did ( or fewer teams performed better, however you want to slice it.)

2012 D stats:

21.5 pts a game/350 yds a game/ 228 yds passing/122 yds rushing

2013 stats:

22 pts a game (actually worse than 2012)/ 335 yds a game (15 yds better)/230 passing yds (worse)/105 rushing yds (17 yds better)

comparitively speaking, the defense played pretty much the same except for their 4th quarter meltdowns in 2013, something the 2012 squad did not do.

The 2013 squad also managed over 200 more yds in penalties. 

So no Pees didn't do all that great, the defense remained status quo from the previous year except they gave up at the end of games and committed more penalties.

edit: to answer the snap count question:

In 2012 the offense ran 1134 snaps the defense ran 1107 (give or take a snap or two).

In 2013 the offense ran 1205 snaps the defense ran 1152 (give or take a snap or two).

LOL@ the neg. All facts people, get over it.

Edited by ravensdfan, 18 March 2014 - 03:41 PM.

The first testicular guard, the "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took men 100 years to realize their brain was also important.

#16 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

Statistically the defense did not improve, but statistically the offense last year was one of the worst in Ravens history and certainly wasn't helping the defense out any.  All the people clamoring for an aggressive defense, it's hard to play aggressive when you're behind on D because screwing up means you're going to get burned even worse and fall further behind. During the 2012-2013 playoffs the defense performed quite well - 9 points to Indy, 13 to the Pats, 21 defensive points (35 - the two return TDs) to Peyton Manning's Broncos, and we played an excellent first half in the Superbowl.  Came unglued when they gave up 25 second half points to the 49ers in the Superbowl, but that's it.  I'm far more concerned about the offense sustaining drives and scoring more points - that would help the defense out more than any changes to that side of the ball.

Also I tend to see a coordinator's fingerprints on the area he coached positionally.  Pees was the linebackers coach, and in 2012 Kruger and Ellerbe both had breakout seasons that earned nice paychecks, and in 2013 Sizzle, Doom, and Smith combined for almost 25 sacks.

Edited by Ravenslifer, 18 March 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#17 Static

Static

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

I think Peas will get more aggressive with a fixed offense. We HAD to play conservative alot of times.

Bodybuilder , Rugby Player , and Diehard fan.

#18 Hey Diddle

Hey Diddle

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

I think he is going to unleash Elam in the box this year.  He had to be conservative last year.  I remember Harbo saying at the presser that he wants to be more aggressive on D this year!  Good News!

#19 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

I think Peas will get more aggressive with a fixed offense. We HAD to play conservative alot of times.

I hope you're correct but he wasn't any more aggressive in 2012 when we did get leads in games nor in the post season.

Rushing 3 (or a disguised 4) on 3rd and forever is beyond conservative, it is foolish.

Edited by ravensdfan, 18 March 2014 - 04:34 PM.

The first testicular guard, the "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took men 100 years to realize their brain was also important.

#20 BSHU_Miami

BSHU_Miami

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

Maybe make or break was a bad way to put it. But we can get better. Hopefully someone signs him on on their staff after this year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users