54 replies to this topic

#1 xxDarby

xxDarby

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

I may be a little late with this but I feel this point needs to be addressed. I'm happy that we resigned Dayrl but we already have a coverage MLB,Arthur Brown. I don't see us playing Brown and Smith together because we need a good run stuffer. What do you think the solution to this problem is? If we let Dayrl play out his contract without starting brown that's a waste of a pick and a waste of cap. On a personal note I was hoping we didn't resign smith and got Skov or played Brown and Rolando.  

#2 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

I still say we start them both, hopefully Arthur is ready....throw em into the fire!!! haha We traded up for Arthur to be more than just a pass defending ILB...he needs to continue to work hard in order to become our starting 3 down MLB one day.

Maybe we get a rotational run stuffer too though. Who knows.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#3 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,054 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

I think Brown will still start if he's ready regardless of Daryl. Also, Daryl can play SLB if we switch to a 4-3 on some downs with Brown as the WLB. We'd still need a true MLB. 

#4 BMORE21

BMORE21

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

arthur brown has the potential to be a Navarro bowman type

#5 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,374 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

I think people are underestimating him as a run defender. He's a good pass defender and that's what made him more enticing, but he's a very sound tackler, plays fast, and is fairly good with stack and shed.

#6 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,733 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Arthur Brown is an all around player.  He lacked the bulk last year, so hopefully he's put on some to improve as a run defender.  I'd have 0 problems with him starting next to Daryl.

#7 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,783 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

We play in a 3-4 where Art will obviously be a starter next to Daryl. I think by the time Daryl's contract is up Art will be ready to take over as the primary ILB and we'll find someone to start next to him. Art is fine, and having someone like Daryl who can mentor Brown for a few years will benefit Brown more than the OP thinks.

#8 xxDarby

xxDarby

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

We play in a 3-4 where Art will obviously be a starter next to Daryl. I think by the time Daryl's contract is up Art will be ready to take over as the primary ILB and we'll find someone to start next to him. Art is fine, and having someone like Daryl who can mentor Brown for a few years will benefit Brown more than the OP thinks.

I hope Dayrl teaches him well. I can't tell you how many times he saved us with a good audible on defense 

#9 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

I think Harbs pretty much made it official a while ago that he expects Brown to be a starter this season so I'm sure we'll go into the season with him and Daryl @ ILB. I just hope he plays the run well because Daryl is not that good against the run. If not I can see us drafting a 3-4 ILB thumper to help our run defense in the 4th or 5th round.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#10 xxDarby

xxDarby

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

I think Harbs pretty much made it official a while ago that he expects Brown to be a starter this season so I'm sure we'll go into the season with him and Daryl @ ILB. I just hope he plays the run well because Daryl is not that good against the run. If not I can see us drafting a 3-4 ILB thumper to help our run defense in the 4th or 5th round.

so if Art isn't all that good against the run like Dayrl do we start the thumper and let Art develop more or start Art and let the thumper develop both have their pros and cons

Edited by xxDarby, 16 March 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#11 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

so if Art isn't all that good against the run like Dayrl do we start the thumper and let Art develop more or start Art and let the thumper develop both have their pros and cons

I have full faith in Art's ability to play the run so I was just throwing it out there. I'd still like us to add a run stuffing ILB in case of emergency if one guy gets hurt.

I think either way Art will probably start the entire year, whether he plays the run well or not, it's not like we have any better options right now.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#12 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,374 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

I have no idea how true this may or may not be, but isn't it possible that Daryl's struggles against the run came from unfamiliarity with the inside linebacker position? He just didn't really seem to attack downhill quickly. It seemed like he waited for it to come to him. When he played as an OLB for the Jags, he tore it up, so I think it may have been unfamiliarity.

I have tons of faith, either way, that Arthur Brown will be good against the run

#13 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,054 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

I think people are underestimating him as a run defender. He's a good pass defender and that's what made him more enticing, but he's a very sound tackler, plays fast, and is fairly good with stack and shed.

I agree to an extent. Brown looks very good but he's still learning the NFL. It was very evident to me. He didn't look great when shedding blocks but I feel like he was improving in run support. He was inconsistent, which tells me it's a learning curve issue less than it is a skill issue. I think he'll be fine.

#14 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,374 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

I agree to an extent. Brown looks very good but he's still learning the NFL. It was very evident to me. He didn't look great when shedding blocks but I feel like he was improving in run support. He was inconsistent, which tells me it's a learning curve issue less than it is a skill issue. I think he'll be fine.

I would have been much happier had he been able to start his rookie season, and honestly, I feel he would have if he didn't get injured

#15 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,490 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

Brown and Smith starting together is likely what we will see this season and there is nothing wrong with that.  While there is a lack of a true run stuffer, having two plus coverage linebackers in today's NFL is great.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#16 BSHU_Miami

BSHU_Miami

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

To counter that I feel that we should get a Pure run stuffing DT in the draft to pair with Brandon Williams/ngata (when he feels like showing up). I think that can assist Smith and brown real well. Who are some options?

#17 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

Smith can't drop the hammer anymore so if Arthur can't be a thumper we're going to take a hit to our run defense, we also lost our best defensive lineman while Ngata/Canty/Suggs are getting older.

Based on what we saw last season how many blue chip players do we have for our 3-4 base? because you need more than in a 4-3.

#18 chunkywill25

chunkywill25

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

arthur brown should definitely start.. hopefully he bulked up a bit. i just wish rolando would make up his mind on his comeback. that would give us a very solid lb group with a good run stuffer.

#19 xxDarby

xxDarby

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

arthur brown should definitely start.. hopefully he bulked up a bit. i just wish rolando would make up his mind on his comeback. that would give us a very solid lb group with a good run stuffer.

this is what i kinda want to happen

#20 Maryland

Maryland

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

Getting lost in the conversation here is Josh Bynes, who actually played just as well, if not better than McClain last year. Brown and Smith will be our primary ILBs, but they will sub in Bynes to play in place of Brown when it's a short-yardage situation. 

Brown is a very instinctive LB who has no problem shooting a gap and tackling 1 on 1 (he made a great tackle during last year's preseason game vs the Falcons), but his presence will be diminished in a power situation with a lot of blockers. 

Also, I'll just throw this out there: scouts from the ravens seemed to be interested in Wisconsin's Chris Borland, who is a pure run-stuffing ILB. 

Edited by Maryland, 16 March 2014 - 07:11 PM.

XDb3Qsu.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users