83 replies to this topic

#1 tolucaraven

tolucaraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

Like i said earlier in the year, Rice got fat. Played at 225 instead of listed 212. My source was accurate. Thier is a story on the Sun website. He is trying to get down to 207. The whole injury thing was overbliwn..he was chub chub last year. A lean, quick Ray Rice would be a big addition to this team. I expect a big year. Trainer said he lost a bad 12-13 pounds...thats fat. 3 pounds of muscle ..said his face is much skinnier.

#2 Bravens292

Bravens292

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

Like i said earlier in the year, Rice got fat. Played at 225 instead of listed 212. My source was accurate. Thier is a story on the Sun website. He is trying to get down to 207. The whole injury thing was overbliwn..he was chub chub last year. A lean, quick Ray Rice would be a big addition to this team. I expect a big year. Trainer said he lost a bad 12-13 pounds...thats fat. 3 pounds of muscle ..said his face is much skinnier.

Doesn't matter if he can't play. I don't care what he does until his legal issues are worked out and what the NFL decides to do.

"Thats what white guys do when they're excited" - Joe Flacco

#3 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

Everyone knows he was overweight last season and is coming in leaner this season, the exact numbers are trivial.

An "I told you so" topic wasn't really necessary.

#4 tolucaraven

tolucaraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

Everyone knows he was overweight last season and is coming in leaner this season, the exact numbers are trivial.

Actually some people knew. Some people blamed the injury. You may known. But rice denied it all year until now and blamed his hip.
An "I told you so" topic wasn't really necessary.

#5 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

I'm not a nutritional expert but I think it's close to impossible to just lose fat if you lose weight. The body doesn't work that way. And it's also pretty much impossible to lose 10-15 pounds of fat within 2 months. Either way, a leaner Rice, a lighter Rice is always a better Rice. He's not a power back anyway, he doesn't need the added muscle mass, he should be around 200 pounds at max. Quickness, Explosion, Agility, Speed, all that he loses by going up to 230 pounds. At 200 I can see him playing the way he played early on in his career when he made linebackers look silly with his quick feet.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#6 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

I'm not a nutritional expert but I think it's close to impossible to just lose fat if you lose weight. The body doesn't work that way. And it's also pretty much impossible to lose 10-15 pounds of fat within 2 months. Either way, a leaner Rice, a lighter Rice is always a better Rice. He's not a power back anyway, he doesn't need the added muscle mass, he should be around 200 pounds at max. Quickness, Explosion, Agility, Speed, all that he loses by going up to 230 pounds. At 200 I can see him playing the way he played early on in his career when he made linebackers look silly with his quick feet.

You are incorrect on both counts.  It is possible to just lose fat while losing weight.   You can also very easily gain muscle weight while cutting fat (and having a net weight loss).  Also - for someone dedicated to the gym, losing 10 - 15 pounds in 2 months isn't completely unreasonable.

That being said, Ray Rice wasn't massive to begin with, and he already had a lot of muscle, so I think in this case you would be correct.  He's probably been doing more lean muscle workouts, so he is losing a combination of fat and muscle - which in the end will hopefully improve his gameplay.

#7 tolucaraven

tolucaraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

You can EASILY lose 15 lbs of fat in two months, especially if you are carrying extra fat. Ive bodybuilded for years. Thats only 2lbs a week.

#8 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

You are incorrect on both counts.  It is possible to just lose fat while losing weight.   You can also very easily gain muscle weight while cutting fat (and having a net weight loss).  Also - for someone dedicated to the gym, losing 10 - 15 pounds in 2 months isn't completely unreasonable.

That being said, Ray Rice wasn't massive to begin with, and he already had a lot of muscle, so I think in this case you would be correct.  He's probably been doing more lean muscle workouts, so he is losing a combination of fat and muscle - which in the end will hopefully improve his gameplay.

How does that work?

And hitting the gym every day doesn't make you lose weight, if you eat right you're more likely to gain weight (by adding muscle mass). It takes longer to lose fat than it does gaining muscle mass. And for the rule of thumb I think you can add like 1 pound of muscle in a month. Not sure how you're gonna lose 15 pounds of fat (we're talking about a pro athlete in great shape) within 2 months but again I'm not an expert so I'd like to hear your explanation. I could be wrong.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
- Terrell Suggs

#9 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

You can EASILY lose 15 lbs of fat in two months, especially if you are carrying extra fat. Ive bodybuilded for years. Thats only 2lbs a week.

We're talking about pure fat, not weight. And losing fat only. In order to lose weight you have to be in a caloric deficit. If you're in a caloric deficit you automatically lose muscle mass because the body views muscles mass as a luxury unlike fat. You can limit the amount of muscle mass you lose by eating right (proteins etc.) but that's about it. Again, I could be wrong but this is what I got from nutritional experts on the internet when I read up on it because it does interest me.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
- Terrell Suggs

#10 tolucaraven

tolucaraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

He lost according to the article About 15 lbs...12-13 lbs bad weight meaning 2-3 lbs of muscle sounds about right. 4lbs of fat per 1lb of muscle..thats typical of inshape atheletes or bodybuilders.

#11 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

How does that work?

And hitting the gym every day doesn't make you lose weight, if you eat right you're more likely to gain weight (by adding muscle mass). It takes longer to lose fat than it does gaining muscle mass. And for the rule of thumb I think you can add like 1 pound of muscle in a month. Not sure how you're gonna lose 15 pounds of fat (we're talking about a pro athlete in great shape) within 2 months but again I'm not an expert so I'd like to hear your explanation. I could be wrong.

Going to note at the beginning that I do agree that with Rice (or any pro athlete) it is highly unlikely that he lost only fat (I wrote that above as well.)

That being said, running a caloric deficit while maintaining a balanced workout with cardio, you would be able to maintain your muscle weight while burning the fat away.  I generally do not write about nutrition/exercise, so I apologize if I cannot explain this in the most clear way.  But if you think about it like this: if you run a caloric deficit while not working out, then you will lose both fat and muscle weight.  If you add exercise to that, then you will be building muscle while maintaining a caloric deficit, thus allowing you to keep the muscle weight the same or gaining muscle, and only burning the fat.  This tends to happen when people begin working out for the first time in a while.  There isn't much muscle weight to lose, and the fat is burned off while new muscle growth occurs.

#12 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

He lost according to the article About 15 lbs...12-13 lbs bad weight meaning 2-3 lbs of muscle sounds about right. 4lbs of fat per 1lb of muscle..thats typical of inshape atheletes or bodybuilders.

The article I'm reading doesn't say anything about "good or bad pounds" or how much fat he lost. All the trainer says is that Rice lost 15 pounds within the last 2 months. Maybe you have a different one with different quotes, but the Carroll County Times article doesn't mention anything about that.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
- Terrell Suggs

#13 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

RR wasn't "fat".  He bulked up too much and lost quickness and agility. Fat.....lmao

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#14 tolucaraven

tolucaraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

The Sun article, quoting his trainer.

#15 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

RR wasn't "fat".  He bulked up too much and lost quickness and agility. Fat.....lmao

Yeah, fat would be quite the exaggeration lol ... The guy was still built. I believe his thinking was he could add extra mass to help continue taking the punishment going into his 6th year, but still maintain his speed. 

#16 tolucaraven

tolucaraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

So? You have muscle in your face? When your face looks thinner it's fat loss.

#17 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

Yea you would be surprised but a good portion of that weight he lost was  most likely muscle and water. Too much rigorous cardiovascular training and a lower or lack of caloric and carb intake makes it so you actually burn muscle fibers to suffice for the loss of calories. And at the same rate when he gains weight...its mostly water and fat as opposed to lean muscle mass. A lot of misconceptions when it comes to dieting and weight lifting.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#18 GullySquad02

GullySquad02

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

I think his training regiment changed and he trained for lean muscle as opposed to the bulk he had last season. Similar to those super skinny guys running the olympic distance races that Ethiopia always seems to win. Muscles are made up of a ratio of the the different muscle types and he probably balanced it out a little more w/ lean muscle

#19 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

Right??? "chub chub" my butt.

He just put on too much muscle. He isn't a power back & the added muscle mass affected his game.

Happy he's dropping it - hopefully he'll be the agile Rice we all remember.

The first testicular guard, the "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took men 100 years to realize their brain was also important.

#20 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,359 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

The article I'm reading doesn't say anything about "good or bad pounds" or how much fat he lost. All the trainer says is that Rice lost 15 pounds within the last 2 months. Maybe you have a different one with different quotes, but the Carroll County Times article doesn't mention anything about that.

@RavensInsider: .@kylejakobe on Ray Rice: 'Ray's body composition has completely changed. He has lost 12 to 13 pounds, 12 to 13 bad pounds.'
15fqib6.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users