ravenwildman

Broncos are FA all in, Ravens cold get lasting revenge this year

65 posts in this topic

As we all are seeing, the Broncos are on a shopping spree during free agency. With approximately 26 mil to start with (not sure where they are now it keeps changing so fast), they are spending with little regard to the future.

It's easy to figure out why, Manning is getting old. This is probably the last year he can take them back to the Super bowl. Sure, he may do a Favre, but I doubt the Broncos will carry his paycheck another year, Lombardi or not.

This year, if  the Ravens can take back the AFC tittle (or at least knock out the Broncos), it will have a lasting impact on the Broncos with nothing to show for it. They say that Revenge is best served up cold, well for Elway, and the Broncos, we couldn't get much colder than that!

GO RAVENS!

As we all are seeing, the Broncos are on a shopping spree during free agency. With approximately 26 mil to start with (not sure where they are now it keeps changing so fast), they are spending with little regard to the future.

It's easy to figure out why, Manning is getting old. This is probably the last year he can take them back to the Super bowl. Sure, he may do a Favre, but I doubt the Broncos will carry his paycheck another year, Lombardi or not.

This year, if  the Ravens can take back the AFC tittle (or at least knock out the Broncos), it will have a lasting impact on the Broncos with nothing to show for it. They say that Revenge is best served up cold, well for Elway, and the Broncos, we couldn't get much colder than that!

GO RAVENS!

As long as the seahawks are in the sb again, Peyton isn't getting a ring. So in the end, we have a future and they don't. Good luck Brock Osweiler and good luck Elway when you can't spend anything. Makes me appreciate Ozzie even more when teams go on huge spending sprees.

the broncos are going after this center will montgomery,, is he any good ? anyway my real question is how much money do they have (cap) the broncos and new Orleans , are making moves that I really do not get... the saints have J.byrd thought they had no money,denver keeps signing players,,,danggggggg  

the broncos are going after this center will montgomery,, is he any good ? anyway my real question is how much money do they have (cap) the broncos and new Orleans , are making moves that I really do not get... the saints have J.byrd thought they had no money,denver keeps signing players,,,danggggggg  

Everyone got a $10m kick to their cap number. Broncos moved up to around $21m & Saints to $11m....give or take. Ravens at about $21m before the Suggs extension.

Everyone got a $10m kick to their cap number. Broncos moved up to around $21m & Saints to $11m....give or take. Ravens at about $21m before the Suggs extension.

thanks I know that much,, have you or anybody seen the cap hit on the broncos or the saints

I love what the Broncos are doing in the FA market.  The Ravens always move slow but steady...so I am not surprise by their sluggish start.  But, we've picked up some steam by signing Pitta, Jacoby, Monroe, Daryl Smith and Steve Smith.  Awesome!

#Mili

Broncos are going to be a damn tough team to beat. They are actually getting a defense to go with their already potent offense. Ware and miller together is flat out scary. Talib, Harris, Carter, Moore, and Ward. is a good secondary.

They have some pieces to be scary

According to overthecap.com:

broncos cap number 2015/2016/2017: 89, 76, 29

ravens cap number 2015/2016/2017: 108, 88, 74

this even after Talib and Ware. They are spending because they have the cap space to do it.

Broncos have signed a lot of bIG contract players but most of them are always on the injury report. I like the Ward signing the best, but instead of Ware ( hurt and decreasing production) better off making a push for Byrd, IMO. I'd rather have Jared Allen then Ware on a shorter term deal as well.

The Sanders deal is a real head scratcher. Especially for that $. ALWAYS on injury report, countless drops and fumbles. Bummed he isn't still on Pittsburgh. He is a worse version of Mark Clayton 2.0.

Edited by tolucaraven

Please KO them in the playoffs again if you guys face them, the AFC will be in your debt (well maybe not the steelers fans) if you can redo a 2013 mile high miracle.

I love what the Broncos are doing in the FA market.  The Ravens always move slow but steady...so I am not surprise by their sluggish start.  But, we've picked up some steam by signing Pitta, Jacoby, Monroe, Daryl Smith and Steve Smith.  Awesome!

#Mili

dude...we had all those guys last year and we sucked.

outside of a 35 year old steve smith..but cmon..homerism isnt cool. Broncos have a vastly superior team then us. unless ozzie addresss the frontline ill be very dissapointed. 

dude...we had all those guys last year and we sucked.

outside of a 35 year old steve smith..but cmon..homerism isnt cool. Broncos have a vastly superior team then us. unless ozzie addresss the frontline ill be very dissapointed. 

Get serious Sami-

Pitta out most of the year

Jones played 11 1/2 games

Monroe from midseason on

Daryl Smith played a full year.

Rice hurt all season.

Offensive line which was a sieve last season will be addressed!!

You also fail to mention the Kubiak influence and Flacco having a QB coach to lean on again. The Broncos aren't at all vastly superior. This is a new year, one of these seasons Manning is going to fall off a cliff . No one runs from father time.

Edited by Hardbaugh

Get serious Sami-

Monroe from midseason on

Rice hurt all season.

You also fail to mention the Kubiak influence and Flacco having a QB coach to lean on again. The Broncos aren't at all vastly superior. This is a new year, one of these seasons Manning is going to fall off a cliff . No one runs from father time.

i dont see why we didn't make an offer for dietrich smith. seemed reasonable and outside of mack the best option out there. unless we somehow get mack, pretty daft that we didnt get him.

The Broncos and Patriots are probably going to be favorites going into this year from the AFC. Broncos have had a nice free agency, then when you include the draft coming up they are going to be favorites to come out of the AFC for sure. All the Ravens really did is sign their own players and a 35 year old Steve Smith. Of course Ozzie's main focus is the draft, but it would be nice to switch it up and sign one or two Great players in free agency during their prime. I don't think the Ravens will be super bowl champions this year, but I do expect them to improve on offense. I also will be interested to see how good our draft class will be from this upcoming draft.

Edited by kassaiscool

Broncos are all in, Super Bowl or bust. That's a tough standard to live up to; Same for them last year when just getting to the SB wasn't good enough. They've got an All-Time QB that has 1-2 years left. I'd rather be in our position where we are building for now, and the future. Our franchise isn't locked in on just this season alone.

Broncos are all in, Super Bowl or bust. That's a tough standard to live up to; Same for them last year when just getting to the SB wasn't good enough. They've got an All-Time QB that has 1-2 years left. I'd rather be in our position where we are building for now, and the future. Our franchise isn't locked in on just this season alone.

They are actually in a better cap situation than us with a better roster. You can look up future years as well, but they seem to be in good shape cap wise.  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap-hit/2014/

Edited by kassaiscool

i dont see why we didn't make an offer for dietrich smith. seemed reasonable and outside of mack the best option out there. unless we somehow get mack, pretty daft that we didnt get him.

Point made, looks like a fair deal.

I refuse to eat the cookie before it's done baking though. :268213:  The offseason has really just begun and I'm not sold Gradkowski can't be the guy after reading Birks words on this site.

Obscure NFL rule. You cant have more than four players with the same last name.

We have hit our Smith cap.

They are actually in a better cap situation than us with a better roster. You can look up future years as well, but they seem to be in good shape cap wise.  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap-hit/2014/

They are in decent cap space. Do have to pay Von/DT very soon. But, Peyton Manning makes that team click and his time is almost up, that's really the main thing with that team. 

They are in decent cap space. Do have to pay Von/DT very soon. But, Peyton Manning makes that team click and his time is almost up, that's really the main thing with that team. 

Ditto as Manning goes so goes the Broncos fortunes. He'll turn 38 in a few days. 

Demaryius Thomas is a UFA after this season as well.  I'll take the Ravens roster, coaching staff, and front office over Denvers any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Broncos cap numbers don't reflect Peyton's true hit to the cap, do they?  His money isn't guaranteed for next year (2015) until the end of the 2014 season.  Same thing w/ the 2016 season.

Even then, they have plenty of cap space, but tons of big name players coming up for huge contracts.

Get serious Sami-

Monroe from midseason on

Rice hurt all season.

Agreed. Our biggest acquisition this offseason was Gary Kubiak because Jim Caldwell was awful as a coordinator and one of the key reasons why we were so horrible on offense to go along with the other issues we had. We'll also be a better team because Michael Oher is no longer here and we likely will not go with Gino Gradkowski or AQ Shipley at LG or C. 

The Broncos are a superior team on paper right now but I don't see a "vastly" superior one. One of the keys of their defense will be whether Von Miller can return from that torn ACL and return to what he was and it's doubtful he makes that immediate impact. The key for us for the rest of the offseason is what Ozzie does to finish fixing the line and if he can add a couple of pieces to our defense. If Ozzie succeeds, we're right up there with the top teams, IMO. 

As we all are seeing, the Broncos are on a shopping spree during free agency. With approximately 26 mil to start with (not sure where they are now it keeps changing so fast), they are spending with little regard to the future.

This year, if the Ravens can take back the AFC tittle (or at least knock out the Broncos), it will have a lasting impact on the Broncos with nothing to show for it. They say that Revenge is best served up cold, well for Elway, and the Broncos, we couldn't get much colder than that!

GO RAVENS!

Let's analyze who the Broncos have signed

Talib - relatively young. Probably a good foundation cb for the future

Ward - Young and great to pair with Rahim Moore

Ware- Older, but they needed a rusher opposite Miller. So basically you are right here but its inconsequential given that he will be gone when Peyton is gone ( 3 years time or so). Also given the cap increases, Ware wont affect Miller and Demaryius likelihood to get extensions.

So what you're basically saying is that by signing 2 young players, and one older one, the Broncos have 0 regard for the future.

The Broncos will have about 50+ million in cap going into next year with key FA such as Moore, Thomas, Thomas, Welker, Miller. Even if you gave everyone of them 10 mil year 1, you could still pay them. Not that they would do that, but still they are fine in terms of cap health.

While they are spending to help Manning win a title, it does actually improve their overall team for the long term.

Even without Manning this team has a lot of talent set up for the long term. Should the Broncos have a heir apparent ready, they will likely still be a tough team to contend with in the AFC.

Not a Broncos fan, but for the sake of beneficial discussion we need some QC.

Edited by Moderator 3

No one wins the Super Bowl in the offseason. Ozzie either through the draft or FA will address the O-line. In the trenches is where you can be physical with teams and take their willpower. We need a Center next above all else. I'd prefer a center that can start for us for at least 2 more years to allow Gradkowski to develop. We'll need to draft a Guard just in case Osemele doesn't return to form due to his back. Wagner can compete with a Vet or Osemele for RT. On defense we need a FS I'm not opposed to us signing Reed back to let him finish his last year with us. He can mentor Elam and Omar as well as allow us to draft a FS that can learn under Reed for the year. If we did Reed I'd like our first draft pick to be Calvin Pryor. He could give us the athletic Safety that we need that can cover and as a bonus he hits like Pollard did.

Let's analyze who the Broncos have signed

Talib - relatively young. Probably a good foundation cb for the future

Ward - Young and great to pair with Rahim Moore

Ware- Older, but they needed a rusher opposite Miller. So basically you are right here but its inconsequential given that he will be gone when Peyton is gone ( 3 years time or so). Also given the cap increases, Ware wont affect Miller and Demaryius likelihood to get extensions.

So what you're basically saying is that by signing 2 young players, and one older one, the Broncos have 0 regard for the future.

The Broncos will have about 50+ million in cap going into next year with key FA such as Moore, Thomas, Thomas, Welker, Miller. Even if you gave everyone of them 10 mil year 1, you could still pay them. Not that they would do that, but still they are fine in terms of cap health.

While they are spending to help Manning win a title, it does actually improve their overall team for the long term.

Even without Manning this team has a lot of talent set up for the long term. Should the Broncos have a heir apparent ready, they will likely still be a tough team to contend with in the AFC.

Not a Broncos fan, but for the sake of beneficial discussion we need some QC.

pretty harsh...if you wanted to take away bias here is our D line

Suggs '' Past his prime ''

Ngata " not the player he was''

Dumervil" 1 dimensional and also getting up there in age''

Canty '' was never that good and also pretty old''

the ravens are not that good and need a lot of help in their d-line ( what a non raven fan would say)

All you need to know : John Fox is not a Super Bowl winning head coach... The guy can't seem to win the big one.

All you need to know : John Fox is not a Super Bowl winning head coach... The guy can't seem to win the big one.

He deserves a decent share for how the Broncos looks in the SB, but I dont think you can put all the blame on him. The kicker made a terrible mistake when they were playing the Pats and 2 years ago a safety played some of the worst coverage I've seen for us to advance.

I remember when we got 31 year trevor pryce in the 2006 offseason

lets just say he made us pretty nasty

kinda pisses me off about ngata. hes 30 but plays more like pryce at 34

He deserves a decent share for how the Broncos looks in the SB, but I dont think you can put all the blame on him. The kicker made a terrible mistake when they were playing the Pats and 2 years ago a safety played some of the worst coverage I've seen for us to advance.

And he played conservative against us in the playoffs and it cost him...

Edited by H8R

You can't buy a championship.

Lebron says hi.

not saying it means championship but sometimes it can work. It works in soccer esp.

Lebron says hi.

not saying it means championship but sometimes it can work. It works in soccer esp.

Sorry, I was talking about American Football.

Lebron says hi.

22 starters on football is a lot harder to buy than 5 in basketball. 3 dominant basketball players is an assured championship berth

Lebron says hi.

In a sport where just 5 guys play signifiant minutes, it's much easier to win with 2-3 great pieces.  And even then their first season Miami's lack of chemistry was exposed by Dallas.  What the Broncos are trying to do is fit multiple new pieces onto a roster where you have 22 guys playing significant minutes, and it's not so easy to stay in synch.  What the Broncos are trying to do is fit 3 defensive starters in Ward, Talib, and Ware, plus two new receivers in Caldwell and Sanders, into their system in the scope of just one offseason and win a championship.  It might work, but it rarely does.

Broncos cap numbers don't reflect Peyton's true hit to the cap, do they?  His money isn't guaranteed for next year (2015) until the end of the 2014 season.  Same thing w/ the 2016 season.

Even then, they have plenty of cap space, but tons of big name players coming up for huge contracts.

His cap hit is about 18 million this season, 22 million for the next 2 seasons.

Granted the one time he made it there before this year he had Jake Delhomme as his starting QB.

His cap hit is about 18 million this season, 22 million for the next 2 seasons.

Yeah - but those last two seasons aren't technically on the books yet are they?  They aren't guaranteed until the end of the 2014 and 2015 seasons respectively.

The Broncos lost Rodgers-Cromartie, Eric Decker, and Wesley Woodyard in free agency. I don't think they're "all in" as much as they're just exchanging players. "All in" would be signing all backloaded deals and I don't think that's what they're doing.

Yeah - but those last two seasons aren't technically on the books yet are they?  They aren't guaranteed until the end of the 2014 and 2015 seasons respectively.

Yeah if I read his contract right, cutting him before the end of 2014 season has 22 million in dead money attached for 2014, but only 5 for 2015 and 2016, BUT if he's still on the roster at the end of the 2014 season, 2015 is fully guaranteed, and same with 2015 and 2016, meaning if he were to be cut, the full salary becomes dead money at that point.  So basically if they wanted to cut him before the contract was up, they'd have to do it before the 2014 season ended or have a ridiculous amount of dead money on the cap for 2015.  Pretty much he's not going anywhere.  But they do have some money to play around with now that the cap has gone up.

Edited by Ravenslifer

Point made, looks like a fair deal.

I refuse to eat the cookie before it's done baking though.  :268213:  The offseason has really just begun and I'm not sold Gradkowski can't be the guy after reading Birks words on this site.

Don't like that logic. You think a small, not strong center who was ranked dead last out of all starters and had to have Yanda call the line calls for him could be good because his former (retired) teammate said so on the Teams website? Its not like Birk could have said Gino was absolutely terrible without repercussions, especially on Gino's own team's website. I really don't see any area where Gino is even average.

Edited by ravensnick

Teams that make headlines in March rarely make them in February.

Well since I'm predicting the Ravens to win their third SB next year, I think we'll likely knock Denver out of the playoffs for revenge. Boy would I love that to be Peyton's last game....

Well since I'm predicting the Ravens to win their third SB next year, I think we'll likely knock Denver out of the playoffs for revenge. Boy would I love that to be Peyton's last game....

That would be incredible. I could only imagine Ashley Fox's face.

Peyton is old with no arm strength; nobody scares of his deep balls.  Seattle set the example....

#Mili

They have been VERY agressive but they're two bigger signings in Ware and Talib both have a recent history of not being able to stay on the field. Both GREAT players but I think those moves were a bit overrated. 

All the players they signed are frequently on the injury report with exception of Ward. Ward is a good pickup, IMO. Woodyard is a loss they will feel. He is underrated. Trading Sanders who is also always dinged for Decker is a downgrade except for salary.

The Broncos aren't "all in" by any meaning of the phrase. All of the contracts they've signed since Elway took over have been front loaded. Assuming the cap stays the same, they have 50 mil in cap space next year if Manning stays on for 2015 and 70 mil if he retires.

All the players they signed are frequently on the injury report with exception of Ward. Ward is a good pickup, IMO. Woodyard is a loss they will feel. He is underrated. Trading Sanders who is also always dinged for Decker is a downgrade except for salary.

Ware missed time for the first time in 8 years last season. None of the rest of their pickups except Talib are injury prone either. And Talib's contract is set up so if he gets injured this year they can cut him and only have a 4 mil cap hit next year.

I don't care how much they or the Pats spend in the offseason, the days when Manning and Brady ruled the NFL are over.