52 replies to this topic

#1 ravens533

ravens533

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

When Harbs came here now 6 years ago, he talked about building a dynasty. As I look back over those years I think that maybe he has. When a really bad season is an 8-8 season, you have to think that winning is the norm around here. Also, we attract players that want to play for a winning team. We have players that take less money to play here. Even a lot of the talking heads are more positive about us. Looking at all we have accomplished in the last 6 years and our reputation, it there any doubt that we have indeed become a dynasty?

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.

Vince Lambardi

#2 Purple Nurple

Purple Nurple

Telling It Like It Is Since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,110 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

Dynasty's win multiple superbowls in consecutive or near consecutive years. So the answer is no.

newsigg2_zps9e6531bd.jpg

#3 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

Pretty sure you need to win multiple Superbowls in a short period of time (e.g. the 80s niners, the 90s Cowbowys, the 2000s Patriots) in order to be considered a Dynasty.  I wouldn't consider the 2007-2011 Giants a Dynasty for example, even though they won 2 in five years.

Edited by Ravenslifer, 15 March 2014 - 04:41 PM.

#4 ravens533

ravens533

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

Well then, I guess that Harbs has to get us back to the SB this year to have his dynasty. But we are close to it now.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.

Vince Lambardi

#5 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,589 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

Dynasties have multiple SB victories in a close time span so no.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#6 BBoogieMan

BBoogieMan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

Hmmm, a little ambitious to deem us that, I think.

#7 Poes Crows

Poes Crows

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

Dynasty in the NFL is 3 championships in 5 years.

We aren't even close to a dynasty.  We should be, but we are not. 

<p>John Smith of Titanic lore did not board a lifeboat Ozzie. A Captain that has blundered does the honorable thing. He goes down with his ship.

#8 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,803 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

Dynasty in the NFL is 3 championships in 5 years.

We aren't even close to a dynasty. We should be, but we are not.

Just entertain my speculation for a moment...
Suppose Evans doesn't drop that pass and we go to the SB. We beat NYG,giving us back to back Super Bowls.

I think three AFCCG and 2 Superbowls, while making the playoffs each of those five years puts us on "dynasty status".
Of course ifs and buts....
Just saying that we are / were right on the cusp. I wouldn't say we are nowhere close
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#9 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,924 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

Not a dynasty yet, but definitely "elite". :-)
15fqib6.jpg

#10 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Before last season we were as close as dynasty as you could get, but clearly not one. Like Fly said I think 2 SB's would've done it.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#11 HoldingCall

HoldingCall

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

This thread reminds me of the mood on the board after Dumervil's signing last year about a SB repeat and even a new word (threepeat). I admire the enthusiasm but how about we wait until the team makes playoffs again.

A Dynasty is possible but not there yet.

#12 Raven07

Raven07

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

When Harbs came here now 6 years ago, he talked about building a dynasty. As I look back over those years I think that maybe he has. When a really bad season is an 8-8 season, you have to think that winning is the norm around here. Also, we attract players that want to play for a winning team. We have players that take less money to play here. Even a lot of the talking heads are more positive about us. Looking at all we have accomplished in the last 6 years and our reputation, it there any doubt that we have indeed become a dynasty?

if we are talking dynasties in like AFC Championship games then yea we are there, but in regards to the Rings and Trophies , no....... only 1 in the harbaugh era, 2 overall. Now, i do believe the process is ongoing and therefore hasnt reached its potential, we'll see AFTER the season , but not before

Posted Image
yes,Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs, Ford, Deadliest Catch exc is my Cousin. 2nd Cousin to be exact.
- Baltimore Ravens Message board First Hall of Famer

#13 ellicottraven

ellicottraven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

This year will really tell us if we are a dynasty or not. We were potentially a defensive dynasty without a doubt for the past decade or so and no one will deny that. However were we a dynasty overall will depend on how this offense does moving forward. Now, that the Ravens brass has systematically removed any excuses for Flacco to perform we'll see what happens?

If Flacco thrives and puts points on the board for us and throws several more TD passes than Ints and our defensive players regain that aura, we'll definitely be on our way to being considered a dynasty. We need to make the playoffs and reach a SB or 2 and win another to be a legit dynasty!

Edited by ellicottraven, 15 March 2014 - 07:09 PM.

Baltimore Ravens - classiest organization in all of organized sport!

#14 ellicottraven

ellicottraven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

Just entertain my speculation for a moment...
Suppose Evans doesn't drop that pass and we go to the SB. We beat NYG,giving us back to back Super Bowls.

I think three AFCCG and 2 Superbowls, while making the playoffs each of those five years puts us on "dynasty status".
Of course ifs and buts....
Just saying that we are / were right on the cusp. I wouldn't say we are nowhere close

Yeah we are a 'maybe' dynasty if we use your 'what if' scenario... but if whatifs mattered then there may have been several more dynasties out there. Consider this 'what if' - What if Peyton Manning wasn't in the NFL when he haunted us? We may have won the SB with McNair too.

However, I do concede that the Evans drop changed our history big time! I still can't believe it and it still hurts so bad...
Baltimore Ravens - classiest organization in all of organized sport!

#15 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,803 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

Yeah we are a 'maybe' dynasty if we use your 'what if' scenario... but if whatifs mattered then there may have been several more dynasties out there. Consider this 'what if' - What if Peyton Manning wasn't in the NFL when he haunted us? We may have won the SB with McNair too.

However, I do concede that the Evans drop changed our history big time! I still can't believe it and it still hurts so bad...

Oh I realize that if we go the 'what if' route, then that applies to the rest of the teams as well; just trying to demonstrate how painfully close we already are
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#16 Ravenatic20

Ravenatic20

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

Consider there are no active dynasty teams right now, so no, but we have a chance.  We are certainly one of the top 5 teams in the league.

EdReedSIGrig-1-1.jpg

#17 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

It's between us, Seattle, Green Bay, and possibly the giants, possibly the saints. All a common theme, young franchise qb with many years left under his belt, a good coach, and a young core of players under contract for a few years. We are the only afc team I see with real dynasty potential we just need live up to it

#18 Ausman

Ausman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

Dynasty's win multiple superbowls in consecutive or near consecutive years. So the answer is no.

Becuase of the stupid salary cap!

#19 Ausman

Ausman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

If we solidify our O-line and our Defense than yes. And maybe expose loopholes in the bogus salary cap.

#20 Black&Blue

Black&Blue

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

I'm jealous of Baltimore's level of consistency over the years.  A dynasty is a nice thing to strive for but isn't realistic.   The Ravens are a model that every team should try to emulate.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users