Ausman

The Time is Now for Omar Brown

70 posts in this topic

I say the time is now to give Omar Brown a shot at Free Safety!

We really do not have the time to draft and develop a rookie FS. It may take that rookie a while to get accustomed to the NFL style Defense let alone our D.

Omar Brown has been with the team for a couple years now so he's not a rookie. He has experience, which is what the team prefers. He has had more than enough time to develop.

Why do you think his nickname is "Baby Ed Reed" . I'm sure Ed Reed has been taking him under his wing for some reason. Big Ed wouldn't mentor him if he didn't have potential or even reminded him of himself in his younger days.

While I agree he deserves a shot at that starting job, its not because of his nickname. We also can't rely on him, we need a vet to increase the comp

He's got hardly any regular season experience, I'm not comfortable banking on him to be our starting FS lol. We definitely need competition at the position. We should honestly be considering bringing back Ed Reed (I'm aware of all the issues), but I know one thing, he still gets respect from QB's and will play 16 games.  

Edited by TDubbs

He's got hardly any regular season experience, I'm not comfortable banking on him to be our starting FS lol. We definitely need competition at the position. We should honestly be considering bringing back Ed Reed (I'm aware of all the issues), but I know one thing, he still gets respect from QB's and will play 16 games.

Not so sure about that. 

Not so sure about that. 

Not so sure about the demands respect from QB's part either. Our own Joe Flacco, on a down year, made him look awful on a deep pass he tossed over Reed's head. Many other QB's tested him, and won, last year as well. Reed has definitely lost a step.

Not so sure about that. 

Hasn't missed a game in 3 years (besides the 2 Texans didn't start him). I understand the larger health concerns .. but he certainly has proven to be able to take care of his body .

When we're talking about Omar Brown as a potential starting FS we have a problem .. And it worries me drafting a rookie FS to start next to Elam.

Edited by TDubbs

Brown could be called upon but I doubt our team goes all-in on him. Not before training camp. We don't operate like that. We'll draft someone, sign someone, something. We'll have competition and legit competition at that. No way we rely on Omar Brown to be an impact player without making him earn it from others. 

Brown could be called upon but I doubt our team goes all-in on him. Not before training camp. We don't operate like that. We'll draft someone, sign someone, something. We'll have competition and legit competition at that. No way we rely on Omar Brown to be an impact player without making him earn it from others. 

I believe we'll do both; get a vet in a follow it up in the draft mid-rounds (one of the two comp 4ths come to mind)

Edited by Mr. Nobody

Scary thought letting somebody with such little experience step into that role but everything ive seen from Brown was solid. Plus he isnt getting any younger. Get him on the field even if we sign or draft another safety. At least let him play and get ready to step into the role.

Last year was his chance. We had 2 SS on the field.  Oz realizes this and will bring someone in for that roll by selecting a FS with 1 of the first 3 picks.

Last year was his chance. We had 2 SS on the field.  Oz realizes this and will bring someone in for that roll by selecting a FS with 1 of the first 3 picks.

Can we handle having a rookie FS next to Elam who will still be developing? How much patience does Pees have, lol. 

I'm not one to say let's not worry about FS because of Omar but at the same time, I think you're being unfair because it sounds almost as if you're saying he couldn't have improved, which we both know he could have.

Can we handle having a rookie FS next to Elam who will still be developing? How much patience does Pees have, lol. 

Considering he had a rookie SS play FS, I'd say a lot

Considering he had a rookie SS play FS, I'd say a lot

True. But we did have a veteran in Ihedigbo who is a strong vocal leader who is now a Lion. Can we trust in Elam to fill that void?

True. But we did have a veteran in Ihedigbo who is a strong vocal leader who is now a Lion. Can we trust in Elam to fill that void?

Hard to say, obvioulsy none of us know. But what I am/ was encouraged by is the fact that when Elam played in the box more, the second half of the season, I thought he looked a lot better. I'm excited to see who fills the whole at FS.

Not so fast, according to Aaron

@RavensInsider: Safety James Ihedigbo visiting Detroit Lions today, source says http://t.co/Zo15OjqlEj

Says "visiting", not signed.

He has to be in consideration at this point, but we can't count on him to be the answer.  We haven't seen near enough to anoint him the answer.  Maybe the team has, but I know I haven't.

While I agree he deserves a shot at that starting job, its not because of his nickname. We also can't rely on him, we need a vet to increase the comp

I'm not suggesting he deserves a shot because of his nickname it's because I know Ed Reed mentored him! 

I'm not suggesting he deserves a shot because of his nickname it's because I know Ed Reed mentored him!

still doesn't mean he deserves a shot. You only deserve a shot if your play warrants it. Not nicknames, mentors, family relations or anything else

Hasn't missed a game in 3 years (besides the 2 Texans didn't start him). I understand the larger health concerns .. but he certainly has proven to be able to take care of his body .

When we're talking about Omar Brown as a potential starting FS we have a problem .. And it worries me drafting a rookie FS to start next to Elam.

Are you serious man! Ed Reed! As a DB coach yeah but his time as a player has come and gone! And we didn't get Jairus Byrd so any player that has been on our team has a leg up on any rookie free safety!

After Jairus Byrd was signed, I know we have to go with what we have now and the best FS we have now is Omar Brown. We might have to trade for somebody if we want to get a good free safety!

Hard to say, obvioulsy none of us know. But what I am/ was encouraged by is the fact that when Elam played in the box more, the second half of the season, I thought he looked a lot better. I'm excited to see who fills the whole at FS.

I 100% agree with that. When Elam is allowed to play closer to the line of scrimmage and really hunt, he looked look a future pro bowl calibre SS. 

I'm concerned with each free agent safety being signed by other teams the pickings are getting slim . I sorta figured Byrd was a pipe dream . a rookie starting makes me very nervous unless Ozzie knows something none of us know or wants someone we don't I say give Brown a shot .

I 100% agree with that. When Elam is allowed to play closer to the line of scrimmage and really hunt, he looked look a future pro bowl calibre SS. 

+100 he did a fantastic job

Brown would never get his shine unless he improves as a special teamer its sad but true. 

Edited by jazz1988

He didn't play those first couple of games with the Texans b/c of his recovering hip injury.  So yes, he missed games w/in the past year b/c of injuries.  I love Reed like any true Ravens fan and look forward to the day that he retires as a Raven, but his days in the league are numbered.  I would be surprised if he even played this season w/ the Jets.  

Omar seems like a natural playmaker at FS, but for some reason it feels like the front office doesn't have much faith in him. He gets cut every year only to return to the practice squad.

Brown makes splash plays in the pre-season, but it takes more than that to hold down a spot on the 53-man roster.  Obviously, there's something else on film that the team isn't so keen on.

After all, in 2012 Anthony Levine made the team over Brown and in 2013, Levine and Trawick made the team over Brown.  Part of that may be ST play, but clearly he's got to do more to make the roster, much less start.

I like him and I think we sign a guy to provide competition and possibly draft a guy as well. I don't want to give him the job but I think we should give him an opportunity.

With the Byrd signing, is Kenny Vaccaro available? I would take the growing pains with him an Elam.

I thought Vaccaro was a FS? If so why the Byrd signing, are they moving him?

With the Byrd signing, is Kenny Vaccaro available? I would take the growing pains with him an Elam.

Vaccaro played both FS/SS.   Just like all the other safety in saints (Harper, Abdul-Quddus, M Jenkins)

Vaccaro was the only safety from last years draft that really panned out.   Why in the world would they let him go?

I said early on Id like to see us pick up a decent vet for insurance, but give Omar Brown every opportunity to win the job. I don't think theres any doubt that he can make plays - he's always around the ball causing turnovers in practice and in the preseason. And I'm confident he will do the same given the chance in the regular season.

The problem is that the big plays aren't worth it if hes not consistent or reliable enough to be our safety net on the back end. He gambles a bit to make those plays and it has paid off so far, but will he be exposed by the top tier QB's? That's the question.

Unfortunately though, by what our FA plan has been so far, it looks to me like we're shaping up to try and trade back a few spots in the 1st round and take pryor or Clinton-dix unless someone falls in our lap at 17. While both look like they'll be good starters with the potential to be stars, I just don't know how I feel about relying on a rookie and 2nd year player to start at safety.

I like him and I understand the board's general man crush on him, but he's not all that great. If he was, he'd have played more. 

He missed the first two games of the season last year recovering from his hip issue. Those were the two games Houston won.

Mentored gets thrown around too much. Did you know Ed Reed "mentored" and even endorsed Christian Thompson?

Guess where he is now. 

Same with Tavares Gooden.. nicknamed "Baby Ray".. Ray Lewis even said he mentored him and guided him along..

He's long gone from Bmore.

Edited by blitzking33

Mentored gets thrown around too much. Did you know Ed Reed "mentored" and even endorsed Christian Thompson?

Guess where he is now. 

Same with Tavares Gooden.. nicknamed "Baby Ray".. Ray Lewis even said he mentored him and guided him along..

He's long gone from Bmore.

Taveres Gooden couldn't stay healthy enough for the coaches to have enough  faith in him  and  guys like Ellerbe and Jameel took advantage of his consistent absence on the field.Christian Thompson may have made the team if he didn't  get suspended for  violating the NFL substance abuse policy and him having a  quiet training camp didn't help either.

Overall some times these guys do have potentials to be great NFL players but unfortunate situations like constantly getting injuried or doing stupid stuff like violating the NFL substance abuse policy can get in the way of that. Omar Brown situation in my opinion is different because I think he would have been seen alot more snaps on defense if he impressed John Harbaugh as a  special teamer.. 

I love his playmaking ability, though most of his turnovers from 2012 preseason were recovering fumbles caused by, and passes tipped by, Ricky Brown.  He showed in college he can do it on a consistent basis, though.

My only problem is whether he's big and physical enough.  He missed a good deal of tackles last preseason and got dragged by a guy like 8 yards for a first down.  The suspect tackling also hurt his special teams play which is usually the conduit for a guy like that to make the team. 

Vaccaro played both FS/SS.   Just like all the other safety in saints (Harper, Abdul-Quddus, M Jenkins)

Vaccaro was the only safety from last years draft that really panned out.   Why in the world would they let him go?

i didn't know he can play ss I thought he was strictly a FS

Vaccaro played both FS/SS. Just like all the other safety in saints (Harper, Abdul-Quddus, M Jenkins)

Vaccaro was the only safety from last years draft that really panned out. Why in the world would they let him go?

I don't know if I can agree with that. While Elam had his struggles at FS he certainly looked good at SS. Also 49er fans would certainly disagree with that. Edited by Cville-Raven

I figured this isn't worth it's own thread but could our FO think Anthony Levine can be the starter for us next year or is he a pure special teamer? I never really keyed in on him in pre season

I figured this isn't worth it's own thread but could our FO think Anthony Levine can be the starter for us next year or is he a pure special teamer? I never really keyed in on him in pre season

He's a pure STer that would play SS if he did see any time on D.

I wouldn't hold my breath for this guy. He's ok as a back up but that's the best he'll ever be for depth purposes. I remember watching preseason games and getting upset at this one guy who kinda just jogged to the ball and the back of the jersey said Brown every time. I don't like him and I don't know why so many people are trying to see something with him. He clearly does not have it.  

I wouldn't hold my breath for this guy. He's ok as a back up but that's the best he'll ever be for depth purposes. I remember watching preseason games and getting upset at this one guy who kinda just jogged to the ball and the back of the jersey said Brown every time. I don't like him and I don't know why so many people are trying to see something with him. He clearly does not have it.  

I don't know, I saw a completely different guy from you. I love Brown because he was always around the ball, his instincts seemed awesome. Maybe you and I are both cherry picking plays from the opposite sides of the spectrum, but I see some upside.

I don't know, I saw a completely different guy from you. I love Brown because he was always around the ball, his instincts seemed awesome. Maybe you and I are both cherry picking plays from the opposite sides of the spectrum, but I see some upside.

Fair enough man. I just remember 31 Brown jogging to plays. Might have been Chykie Brown. I'm just going off of feel from what I saw in last year's preseason. I don't really know his number just the name. I think his number changed a lot. Hey if he can be like a Stevie Brown from the Giants. Then you know I'm all for it. I'd love for the guy to be a good player. I always think about the wish in one hand saying though. I don't know that just kinda sticks with me in certain areas. I'll see how he does this preseason. I'll change my perspective if he out performs that's for sure. As for a guy I liked a lot in the preseason last year and the effort he made was Asa Jackson.

I've been wanting to see Omar Brown in regular season action for quite some time now, due to his play during the Preseason, he's a ball magnet, it just bounces to him, flies to him. Omar apparently hasn't been versatile enough playing ST also, to warrant a roster spot weekly.

I actually thought last offseason he would be given chances to compete for the starting job before we signed Huff , when Huff came out the gates playing bad, I was all for seeing what both Elam and Brown had to offer.

Because young players aren't going to gain experience with film study alone.

Picking up a veteran safety on a year deal to compete for a job along with drafting someone with potential late in the draft would be ideal for me. Jonathan Dowling ( former Gator ), Sunseri ( Bama), 5th or 6th round compensatory pick perhaps.

Rob Ryan had his safeties sorta of interchangeable last year. To "confuse" offenses on how to attack them, they would move around a lot before the snap of the ball to disguise blitzes and coverages.

But I'm not a huge fan of them signing Bird to that type of deal, I felt Vaccaro strongest asset is his coverage skills, ability to cover some RBs, TEs etc, while having speed and recoverability to erase mistakes on bad plays and angles.

To me they have 2 coverage safeties now, just as last season we played the whole year with 2 in the box safeties.

J.Byrd has made some interceptions and Pro bowls on a bad team that for most of his career has had a bad defense. When teams are throwing for tons of yards and TDs on the defense constantly of course a couple of passes will get picked off.

I like J.Byrd, but some saints fans around here ( I live in Louisiana ) act as if they signed young Ed Reed, Troy P, or even a young Healthy Bob Sanders. Byrd hasn't proven to be a difference maker that attributes to wins...

There are definitely years when rookies or, at least, unproven players, have to start. I remember how much talk there was by all the experts about going into the 2006 season with Dawan Landry, a rookie 5th round pick, as the starter. It worked out and Dawan had several good years in bmore. The reality of the league, as currently configured, is that you just can't have proven starters at every position. There are going to be some spots that simply need to be won out by someone or at worst, filled in. My guess is that the Ravens want to get someone in the draft to fill that spot, and possibly also sign a veteran. The trick is though, that it must be at the right price and will likely come at the expense of filling a need at some other position. (Center, Right Tackle, Defensive line)

Thomas Decoud seems the most likely candidate to me. If not him though, then I'm not really sure who'd be out there worth signing. (possibly Major Wright). Omar hasn't really proven much in regular season games at this point, but I think he's at least capable of winning the job and playing well there next season. The difficult thing is that this years class of free safeties are not particularly deep. There are a couple of big names, but not much after those few. I think last year's class was probably much better for that position, as well as middle linebacker.