30 replies to this topic

#1 YankeeRaven

YankeeRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:31 AM

What is your thoughts about Marlon Brown as Ravens 2014 2nd WR?

I'm kinda hoping Ravens could focus on a FS, RB, CB, TE, DE and maybe a RT in the draft and re-sign Daryl Smith and sign a Center.

I really don't like this years free agents WR, I only liked Golden Tate, but he is in Detroit now and if Marlon Brown could be the 2nd WR the Ravens could focus on a WR in the draft next year.

I was also thinking Aaron Mellette could maybe share playing time between JJ and Marlon Brown, but what do you think?

#2 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:13 AM

hmm, He would need to be a bit of improvement but if Ozzie saw that as the way to go.. then I guess it would be fine. 

If Flacco works out wit him soon and says Marlon is the man then that could happen.

1Untitled_zps8afd95ac.pngbench_zps0a7ce32d.jpg

#3 IceDevilHH81

IceDevilHH81

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:36 AM

I think with that much talent at the WR position it would be stupid not to draft a WR! I still hope we get one of the top WRs or maybe Eric Ebron in the 1st Round! I would prefer a bit more experience next to Elam at least for 1-2 Years at the FS position!

#4 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:36 AM

I like him, I think he can become a decent starting receiver. He runs good routes, he's big and he has good hands. He doesn't get open consistently enough right now to be a dependable #2 on a team that is trying to win a superbowl. Maybe with 1-2 more years under his belt he will be there but right now I'd rather have a Steve Smith / Edelman type next to Torrey.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#5 airconteka1

airconteka1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:37 AM

I don't think he will ever make a good 2nd WR, just can't see it. Happy to be wrong but I think we need to get a 2nd via the draft or FA

#6 MrDelDante

MrDelDante

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:07 AM

Marlon has all the tools to succeed. He's 6'4", 205lbs. He's an undrafted guy so has that chip on his shoulder. He's a hard worker. Last year was his first year and he exceeded all expectations. He can only get better. I seriously think he will be a solid #3 receiver for us for a while. If we can grab Mike Evans this year in the draft as our complement to Torrey then we're well away.

Smith - Draft Evans - Brown - Mellette

Pitta - Draft CJ Fiedorowicz - Furstenburg

Rice - Pierce - Draft Gaffney

Posted Image

#7 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:32 AM

He's not fast enough to be our #2 under this new offense we have now.

#8 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,198 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:38 AM

I think he has the potential to be a starter, but that's all it is at this point is potential.  We'll have to see what the offseason brings, and it shouldn't stop us from either drafting or signing a guy who we think can be a starting receiver - at worst we'll have 2 good players for one spot, and a very good number 3 receiver.

#9 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:40 AM

Marlon has all the tools to succeed. He's 6'4", 205lbs. He's an undrafted guy so has that chip on his shoulder. He's a hard worker. Last year was his first year and he exceeded all expectations. He can only get better. I seriously think he will be a solid #3 receiver for us for a while. If we can grab Mike Evans this year in the draft as our complement to Torrey then we're well away.

Smith - Draft Evans - Brown - Mellette
Pitta - Draft CJ Fiedorowicz - Furstenburg
Rice - Pierce - Draft Gaffney

We may have that other WRer in Melletta, that way we can use our first pick on our oline.

#10 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:15 AM

Torrey is a good #2, but not reliable enough to be a #1 WR. I doubt Ozzie will go for a WR in the first round of the draft, because that is not something he does and it seems that we're setting ourselves up to draft a FS 1st, but Marqise Lee was once projected to be a top 10 prospect and now seems to fall in the draft. Maybe that could be too tempting to ignore for Oz and we would get the young #1 WR we've been looking for.

Marqise Lee, Torrey Smith, Marlon Brown (in that order) would be a great set of weapons for Joe.

bJNF689.jpg

#11 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:23 AM

I think Marlon ia certainly capable of being our #2 wide out, he just needs more work. But that is why our team hired someone like Bobby Engram, to get guys like Marlon and Mellette ready to consistently produce, which I think will be sooner rather than later, especially with Marlon and the big scores he managed to come up with already last year.

#12 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:49 AM

I think he has the palette but I'm not sure if he has all the colors yet. I think another year and he could very well be that for us. I think a lot of it has to do with coaching and veteran WRs helping him out as well as his obvious desire to win and succeed. 

#13 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

Huh? speed doesn't really matter for west coast offense but it definitely does for the Air Corydell in which we ran last year.

#14 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

I really like what Marlon brings and look forward to him, but clearly we should acquire as much offense and value on offense as we can.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#15 RichieAsh

RichieAsh

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:28 AM

Give the young guy a couple of years to get stronger and learn the nuances to play the position. He doesn't need to be our #2 this year to be a valuable contributor.

#16 Bruce_Almty

Bruce_Almty

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

... it seems that we're setting ourselves up to draft a FS 1st...

We have 2 major needs on defense that I could see Ozzie finding a long-term solution to with that #17: ILB & FS. If Oz can fill one of them with the top player at that position, I don't see why he would not pounce. HaHa has the size &cover skills, while Pryor brings the boom. Inside LB may not be a #17 pick but dropping back a few and still picking up CJMosley may be worthwhile.

In any event, I'm thinking defense may be our first pick, a center (Mack) may have to wait til next year & Gino gets another year to develop, plus we already have 2 untested o-linemen on the roster, WR can be addressed in the 2nd round.

#17 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

We have 2 major needs on defense that I could see Ozzie finding a long-term solution to with that #17: ILB & FS. If Oz can fill one of them with the top player at that position, I don't see why he would not pounce. HaHa has the size &cover skills, while Pryor brings the boom. Inside LB may not be a #17 pick but dropping back a few and still picking up CJMosley may be worthwhile.

In any event, I'm thinking defense may be our first pick, a center (Mack) may have to wait til next year & Gino gets another year to develop, plus we already have 2 untested o-linemen on the roster, WR can be addressed in the 2nd round.

I agree. The O-line deserves a second shot. We didn't cripple Flacco enough last season.

Last season Ozzie spend the first 4 draft picks on defense, traded Boldin and spend the freed up money for even more defense. Our rushing attack was one of the worst in the league and Flacco was among the most sacked QBs in the NFL, but atleast the defense ended up in the top 10 statistically.

The offense needs more new players, who can make an impact immediately, not the defense. How come, whenever we have holes on offense, especially among our receivers, we always hope our "untested players" will come through, but whenever there is one hole on defense, everyone panics and it has to be fixed with the our first pick instantly? What about Omar Brown or Arthur Brown or Kapron Lewis-Moore? Tommy Streeter got better chances at being a starter than those guys.

bJNF689.jpg

#18 Bruce_Almty

Bruce_Almty

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:40 AM

...What about Omar Brown or Arthur Brown or Kapron Lewis-Moore? ...

I know you know all this ... But

Omar Brown has had his chances in practice and the Ravens have decided he's not the guy; hence the lack of playing time. Art Brown will be a starter this year but needs a running mate. Daryl Smith was a short-term answer and looks to be on his way out. Josh Bynes/Al McClellan don't compare to CJMosley and KLM will get his chance this season. Ravens have historically spent their money on the defensive side of the ball. If you have an argument with that, speak to Ozzie.

Go Ravens

#19 akacrow

akacrow

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

"focus on a FS, RB, CB, TE, DE and maybe a RT in the draft...."

Last season out of our draft picks a safety started, Elam, and out of position.  The season before KO started and Upshaw played in limited spot duty, and this season we address every other position on the team? 

#20 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

I know you know all this ... But

Omar Brown has had his chances in practice and the Ravens have decided he's not the guy; hence the lack of playing time. Art Brown will be a starter this year but needs a running mate. Daryl Smith was a short-term answer and looks to be on his way out. Josh Bynes/Al McClellan don't compare to CJMosley and KLM will get his chance this season. Ravens have historically spent their money on the defensive side of the ball. If you have an argument with that, speak to Ozzie.

Go Ravens

Well, I can't, so all I have left is this forum. :(

Whatever, I can't change any of it, but it does feel (atleast for now) like we did more to help the defense last season and like we just keep doing the same mistakes instead of improving the offense.

Maybe we get Alex Mack. That would shut me up. ;)

bJNF689.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users