Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YankeeRaven

Marlon Brown as 2nd WR?

31 posts in this topic

What is your thoughts about Marlon Brown as Ravens 2014 2nd WR?

I'm kinda hoping Ravens could focus on a FS, RB, CB, TE, DE and maybe a RT in the draft and re-sign Daryl Smith and sign a Center.

I really don't like this years free agents WR, I only liked Golden Tate, but he is in Detroit now and if Marlon Brown could be the 2nd WR the Ravens could focus on a WR in the draft next year.

I was also thinking Aaron Mellette could maybe share playing time between JJ and Marlon Brown, but what do you think?

hmm, He would need to be a bit of improvement but if Ozzie saw that as the way to go.. then I guess it would be fine. 

If Flacco works out wit him soon and says Marlon is the man then that could happen.

I think with that much talent at the WR position it would be stupid not to draft a WR! I still hope we get one of the top WRs or maybe Eric Ebron in the 1st Round! I would prefer a bit more experience next to Elam at least for 1-2 Years at the FS position!

I like him, I think he can become a decent starting receiver. He runs good routes, he's big and he has good hands. He doesn't get open consistently enough right now to be a dependable #2 on a team that is trying to win a superbowl. Maybe with 1-2 more years under his belt he will be there but right now I'd rather have a Steve Smith / Edelman type next to Torrey.

I don't think he will ever make a good 2nd WR, just can't see it. Happy to be wrong but I think we need to get a 2nd via the draft or FA

Marlon has all the tools to succeed. He's 6'4", 205lbs. He's an undrafted guy so has that chip on his shoulder. He's a hard worker. Last year was his first year and he exceeded all expectations. He can only get better. I seriously think he will be a solid #3 receiver for us for a while. If we can grab Mike Evans this year in the draft as our complement to Torrey then we're well away.

Smith - Draft Evans - Brown - Mellette

Pitta - Draft CJ Fiedorowicz - Furstenburg

Rice - Pierce - Draft Gaffney

I think he has the potential to be a starter, but that's all it is at this point is potential.  We'll have to see what the offseason brings, and it shouldn't stop us from either drafting or signing a guy who we think can be a starting receiver - at worst we'll have 2 good players for one spot, and a very good number 3 receiver.

Marlon has all the tools to succeed. He's 6'4", 205lbs. He's an undrafted guy so has that chip on his shoulder. He's a hard worker. Last year was his first year and he exceeded all expectations. He can only get better. I seriously think he will be a solid #3 receiver for us for a while. If we can grab Mike Evans this year in the draft as our complement to Torrey then we're well away.

Smith - Draft Evans - Brown - Mellette

Pitta - Draft CJ Fiedorowicz - Furstenburg

Rice - Pierce - Draft Gaffney

We may have that other WRer in Melletta, that way we can use our first pick on our oline.

He's not fast enough to be our #2 under this new offense we have now.

Torrey is a good #2, but not reliable enough to be a #1 WR. I doubt Ozzie will go for a WR in the first round of the draft, because that is not something he does and it seems that we're setting ourselves up to draft a FS 1st, but Marqise Lee was once projected to be a top 10 prospect and now seems to fall in the draft. Maybe that could be too tempting to ignore for Oz and we would get the young #1 WR we've been looking for.

Marqise Lee, Torrey Smith, Marlon Brown (in that order) would be a great set of weapons for Joe.

I think Marlon ia certainly capable of being our #2 wide out, he just needs more work. But that is why our team hired someone like Bobby Engram, to get guys like Marlon and Mellette ready to consistently produce, which I think will be sooner rather than later, especially with Marlon and the big scores he managed to come up with already last year.

I think he has the palette but I'm not sure if he has all the colors yet. I think another year and he could very well be that for us. I think a lot of it has to do with coaching and veteran WRs helping him out as well as his obvious desire to win and succeed. 

He's not fast enough to be our #2 under this new offense we have now.

Huh? speed doesn't really matter for west coast offense but it definitely does for the Air Corydell in which we ran last year.

I really like what Marlon brings and look forward to him, but clearly we should acquire as much offense and value on offense as we can.

Give the young guy a couple of years to get stronger and learn the nuances to play the position. He doesn't need to be our #2 this year to be a valuable contributor.

... it seems that we're setting ourselves up to draft a FS 1st...

We have 2 major needs on defense that I could see Ozzie finding a long-term solution to with that #17: ILB & FS. If Oz can fill one of them with the top player at that position, I don't see why he would not pounce. HaHa has the size &cover skills, while Pryor brings the boom. Inside LB may not be a #17 pick but dropping back a few and still picking up CJMosley may be worthwhile.

In any event, I'm thinking defense may be our first pick, a center (Mack) may have to wait til next year & Gino gets another year to develop, plus we already have 2 untested o-linemen on the roster, WR can be addressed in the 2nd round.

We have 2 major needs on defense that I could see Ozzie finding a long-term solution to with that #17: ILB & FS. If Oz can fill one of them with the top player at that position, I don't see why he would not pounce. HaHa has the size &cover skills, while Pryor brings the boom. Inside LB may not be a #17 pick but dropping back a few and still picking up CJMosley may be worthwhile.

In any event, I'm thinking defense may be our first pick, a center (Mack) may have to wait til next year & Gino gets another year to develop, plus we already have 2 untested o-linemen on the roster, WR can be addressed in the 2nd round.

I agree. The O-line deserves a second shot. We didn't cripple Flacco enough last season.

Last season Ozzie spend the first 4 draft picks on defense, traded Boldin and spend the freed up money for even more defense. Our rushing attack was one of the worst in the league and Flacco was among the most sacked QBs in the NFL, but atleast the defense ended up in the top 10 statistically.

The offense needs more new players, who can make an impact immediately, not the defense. How come, whenever we have holes on offense, especially among our receivers, we always hope our "untested players" will come through, but whenever there is one hole on defense, everyone panics and it has to be fixed with the our first pick instantly? What about Omar Brown or Arthur Brown or Kapron Lewis-Moore? Tommy Streeter got better chances at being a starter than those guys.

...What about Omar Brown or Arthur Brown or Kapron Lewis-Moore? ...

I know you know all this ... But

Omar Brown has had his chances in practice and the Ravens have decided he's not the guy; hence the lack of playing time. Art Brown will be a starter this year but needs a running mate. Daryl Smith was a short-term answer and looks to be on his way out. Josh Bynes/Al McClellan don't compare to CJMosley and KLM will get his chance this season. Ravens have historically spent their money on the defensive side of the ball. If you have an argument with that, speak to Ozzie.

Go Ravens

"focus on a FS, RB, CB, TE, DE and maybe a RT in the draft...."

Last season out of our draft picks a safety started, Elam, and out of position.  The season before KO started and Upshaw played in limited spot duty, and this season we address every other position on the team? 

I know you know all this ... But

Omar Brown has had his chances in practice and the Ravens have decided he's not the guy; hence the lack of playing time. Art Brown will be a starter this year but needs a running mate. Daryl Smith was a short-term answer and looks to be on his way out. Josh Bynes/Al McClellan don't compare to CJMosley and KLM will get his chance this season. Ravens have historically spent their money on the defensive side of the ball. If you have an argument with that, speak to Ozzie.

Go Ravens

Well, I can't, so all I have left is this forum. :(

Whatever, I can't change any of it, but it does feel (atleast for now) like we did more to help the defense last season and like we just keep doing the same mistakes instead of improving the offense.

Maybe we get Alex Mack. That would shut me up. ;)

Well, I can't, so all I have left is this forum. :(

Whatever, I can't change any of it, but it does feel (atleast for now) like we did more to help the defense last season and like we just keep doing the same mistakes instead of improving the offense.

Maybe we get Alex Mack. That would shut me up. ;)

If we got Mack this year I'd shut up also, but I think we'll have to wait until next year.

FYI, I read, what I thought to be, a very reputable report that said it is far more cost effective (and strategically practical) to build a top defense and average offense than the other way around. Think the Mannings and Brady, when they win SBs it's bc they have strong defenses. You just have to hope the offense gets hot at the right time.

As you said, we can't change any of it; just go with the flow.

I want us to draft a potential number 1 WR for once. There are some in this draft. We don't have anyone thats a number 1 WR currently. Imo at best Torrey Smith is a great number 2 WR. But he doesn't have the consistency to be a number 1.

why  ignore WR in THIS years draft.. explain the logic.

marlon brown is still an unknown, sophomore slumps are incredibly common, especially for a WR like marlon who had a tendency to disappear from nearly an entire game, i dont expect it, and i hope for the best, but its something to worry about when evaluating our roster. torrey is not a complete receiver, he is a excellent #2 but without a real legit well rounded receiver, we will struggle in the passing game. almost every position you named can be addressed in free agency, there are viable FA WR's and steve smith would be a good pickup, but  to pass on the talent at WR in this years draft would be foolish, and that doesnt mean draft another 6th round project that  probably wont evensee the field, that means we find our immediate contributor in one of the first 2 rounds, a guy that can help  us out early on and develop into a reliable target we will have for years.

btw, aaron mellette has shown us jack. there is nothing besides a few preseason plays late in the game, that would justify us expecting him to be anything more than a practice squad player.

I don't see the Ravens passing on a WR in this stacked class--let me clarify, I don't see the Ravens passing on an offensive weapon in this draft class, considering they could also draft a legit TE (Ebron I hope) and move Pitta into more of a slot receiving role, since Boldin's presence was never really replaced. Pitta is also a weak blocker, and played WR in college, so moving him into his natural receiving role would make sense if they draft a highly-touted TE.

In addition, they're clearly interested in drafting a WR or TE, considering they've interviewed 7 WRs and 3 TEs, including Amaro, Ebron, Evans, Benjamin, Lee, Landry, and Matthews at the combine. Ozzie also stated that finding a chain-moving WR is a priority this offseason, and that he knows the kind of WR he wants to acquire for this offseason. 

Finally, Marlon was a nice surprise as a UDFA, but his stats outside of TDs scored are not exactly impressive. He had a low 10.7 yards per reception (92nd in the league, min 25% snaps played) and dropped 6 out of 55 catchable balls for a 10.91% drop rate. He also ran a lot of routes without having much of an impact, which tells me he didn't get open reliably. He ran 518 passing routes, yet was only targeted 83 times. 

I think Marlon will be a solid #3 WR for years to come, and would combine nicely with Jacoby as the other #3 WR (so #3a/3b) since Jacoby isn't a good redzone threat, while Marlon is a great redzone threat. Jacoby is also a solid deep threat, while Marlon is a bit slow. I think Marlon and Jacoby are a perfect rotation as the #3 receiver, but I would rather them draft an offensive weapon of some sort to combine with Torrey and Pitta as Joe's primary targets. 

I'm not sure how well Marlon will perform but I do remember that he was fresh off a very serious knee injury last season. It remains to be seen whether he continues to improve in the new offensive system. Then again, all offensive players must prove they fit into this system. The new coordinator could mean new opportunity for some.

The position Ozzie drafts first will depend on who's available. Will it be the best available player regardless of position or will it be the best available player by position of need?   

Smith and Smith as our starters and Brown comes in on 3 wr sets. 4 wrs sets would inlcude the 3 mentioned and Jones or mellette Move Steve smith and brown to the slot. draft if still available Ebron. If not go for free safety. That would a nice group of wrs to throw to without counting 2 te sets or base sets with pitta or ebron(if we draft). So in final I hope we can sign steve smith and Brown can stay the 3.

If we sign Steve Smith:

1. Steve Smith

2. Torrey Smith

3. Jacoby Jones

4. Marlon Brown

--------------------------

Suddenly the WR need isn't as dire in round 1 or 2 as lets say TE:

1. Dennis Pitta

2. ?

3. ?

or RT:

1: ??

2: Wagner

3: ??

or FS

1. ??

2. Omar Brown

3. ??

I would assume Eric Ebron is now a legit consideration @17 as well as Taylor Lewan and Zack Martin.

In round 2, TE Jace Amaro and Austin Seferian-Jenkins would be hard to pass on. As well as FS Calvin Pryor or RT Cyrus Kouandjiio

You know as much as I want to draft a WR early, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't address it until as late as round 3. (Javaris Landry, Jordan Mathews type)

Signing Smith should have no affect on our draft strategy. as i mentioned earlier, he would not be here for long. the draftee is essentially next man up. I would still draft Lee, Beckham, or Ebron regardless of Steve signing here.

I think our wrs are still young after picking up Smith. If we go wr in the draft I hope its a late rd guy with a chip in his shoulder. I say te safety and lineman is where we need to look at early. I also wouldn't be against another 1 yr contract for Doss and see if he makes the team.

Signing Smith should have no affect on our draft strategy. as i mentioned earlier, he would not be here for long. the draftee is essentially next man up. I would still draft Lee, Beckham, or Ebron regardless of Steve signing here.

I agree. I mean, for all we know Torrey could leave in free agency in 2015, Jacoby or Smith could regress, get hurt, etc. Marlon Brown could have been a one-year wonder. I think it would be utterly ridiculous and stupid and foolish to bank on a 34yo WR to fix our issues. He's just veteran presence and leadership we've missed since Boldin. I think he can help Brown and Smith both develop into better players and I feel he was brought in for that reason as well as his play.