Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

edreedfromtheu

The misconceptions about Jacoby Jones...

55 posts in this topic

I don't understand why people think that Kubiak "knows how to use Jones" just because they were together in Houston.

Nobody thought if Jacoby as a receiving threat until he came to Baltimore.  And that's with Baltimore having many more receiving threats to take targets away from Jones.

Back in Houston, they had Andre Johnson and really nobody else consistently.  And yet, Jacoby was an afterthought.

Even after Jones has proven he can play receiver, I hear plenty of people in Baltimore disrespeect him.  Saying he's nothing more than a deep ball threat.  They failed to see that he was actually Flacco's favorite target preseason and very early in the regular season before he got injured by his own player.  He was actually running those over the middle routes quite nicely.

And to top it all off, after disrespecting Jacoby Jones... people bring up Steve Smith as a guy who would come in and do what Jacoby supposedly can't?

Let me get this straight.... Steve Smith.  The guy who is world famous for quitting on routes and belittling his quarterbacks?  The guy who flips out worse than Boldin would when his quarterback missed him being wide open?  That really doesn't sound like the type of receiver the Ravens want around Flacco.  If a corner guesses right and is tight on Smith's first cut.... he'll often just stop the route which usually only leads to bad things.

I'm glad the Ravens re-signed Jacoby.  It's a move I said should have been made all along, which is why I'm shocked it actually happened.  Glad the Ravens didn't cater to the masses on this one.  They don't need to bring in more receivers.  Anyone taking away snaps from Smith, Jones, and Brown.... is a bad idea.  Worry about improving the line... running game... and quarterback play.  The recievers will be just fine if that other stuff gets staightened out.

Im disappointed that we need this thread but some of the things I read in the JJ thread were just terrible. Especially the whole 'Trindon Holiday' ordeal. 

I don't understand why people think that Kubiak "knows how to use Jones" just because they were together in Houston.

Nobody thought if Jacoby as a receiving threat until he came to Baltimore.  And that's with Baltimore having many more receiving threats to take targets away from Jones.

Back in Houston, they had Andre Johnson and really nobody else consistently.  And yet, Jacoby was an afterthought.

Even after Jones has proven he can play receiver, I hear plenty of people in Baltimore disrespeect him.  Saying he's nothing more than a deep ball threat.  They failed to see that he was actually Flacco's favorite target preseason and very early in the regular season before he got injured by his own player.  He was actually running those over the middle routes quite nicely.

And to top it all off, after disrespecting Jacoby Jones... people bring up Steve Smith as a guy who would come in and do what Jacoby supposedly can't?

Let me get this straight.... Steve Smith.  The guy who is world famous for quitting on routes and belittling his quarterbacks?  The guy who flips out worse than Boldin would when his quarterback missed him being wide open?  That really doesn't sound like the type of receiver the Ravens want around Flacco.  If a corner guesses right and is tight on Smith's first cut.... he'll often just stop the route which usually only leads to bad things.

I'm glad the Ravens re-signed Jacoby.  It's a move I said should have been made all along, which is why I'm shocked it actually happened.  Glad the Ravens didn't cater to the masses on this one.  They don't need to bring in more receivers.  Anyone taking away snaps from Smith, Jones, and Brown.... is a bad idea.  Worry about improving the line... running game... and quarterback play.  The recievers will be just fine if that other stuff gets staightened out.

Jacoby Jones is a generally raw WR...he is fast, doesn't run the best routes, and is more of a body catcher than a hands catcher which is always a concern. The only way he knows how to separate from DBs is too run as fast as he can away from them...which is absolutely fine and we have seen him get open like that before and make plays. He is just not the well rounded WR that we really need right now.

We had him last year and in the games he wasn't injured he was a non factor when it came to moving the chains on a consistent basis...because again as I previously stated he lacks the route running to get open on those short-intermediate routes.  In my opinion he probably the best RS in the NFL, and a good deep threat as a WR3/4.

Like it or not we will get a WR who will line up beside Torrey and Marlon...be it a free agent or a rookie. Last year was disastrous for our passing game and it was in large part due to our lack of talent at the WR spot. We need 1 or 2 new faces at the position to ensure we can convert 3rd downs and actually generate some damn passing yards. 

Just the fact that Jacoby knows Kubiak's system is a great reason to bring him back. He's a great # 3 receiver and arguably the best return man in the game. People like to think he can be a # 2, but he's just not great at getting consistently open. I'm still thrilled we brought him back. He's a threat to take one back on every kick return. 

I was originally opposed when we first signed him, but he honestly seems to have gotten better each year he's been here.  Happy to have him back and think it's a very fair deal.  His hands seemed to have shown a lot of improvement last year.

The OP is wrong about not needing to bring in any other WRs, we need new blood in our receiving corps to mix things up. Granted, our oline sucked last year and didn't help our run or pass game, but the same WRs that we have weren't getting open. We need to bring in someone new.

I disagre with the OP.  I love Jacoby and am excited that hes back and will most likely retire as a raven.  But to say Steve Smith wouldnt be an upgrade is just not right.  I like his physicalness and would love him to come to baltimore if the price was right, i personally would rather have edlemen. 

I like Jacoby alot but he is not an all around reciever. The offensive is a bigger need but we should definitely add another target for Flacco. To say we dont need any other recievers is nonsense. Also i dont really want Smith either. He is great when he wants to be but even if he does well i dont see why we would pass up a young reciever who could help our offense for years to sign somebody Smith's age. Also there are some pretty nice TE's available. Oh and i could be wrong and hopefully i am but didnt Kubiak cut Jacoby when he was in Houston? If im right i dont really see how having both would help much.

Just to clear up the Smith situation. Im not opposed to signing him. I think he could help if his head is in the right place. I just would rather bring in a younger reciever or two.

The OP is wrong about not needing to bring in any other WRs, we need new blood in or receiving corps to mix things up. Granted, our oline sucked last year and didn't help our run or pass game, but the same WRs that we have weren't getting open. We need to bring in someone new.

One has to ask oneself, "how much do I trust the Raven front office to use our 1st round pick on a wide receiver?"  Don't trust them on that at all.

Worse yet, receivers like Marquise Lee are likely to be whats available come the Raven's turn.  No smurfs....no smurfs coming off injury....but the fear is that Oz has the old Ozmobile cranked up for just such a pick.

Don't do it Oz....Don't do it, you'll regret it.

Just say no to Trojans

love jacoby, one of my all time favorite ravens, and ecstatic that he is back and I like him even more knowing he turned down more money from NY just to come back to us. but lets be real, he is a playmaker, a deep threat, and a luxury weapon that fits perfectly for our big armed qb to throw to on occasions, is he in any way, shape, or form a reliable #2 or even #3? not even close, especially when the other 2 receivers we have aren't well rounded at all.

there is still a shortage at WR, and jacoby is at his best when being limited to returning every kick/punt, and being the 4th/5th option in pass plays.

give the guy the snap count he deserves, he will make his plays, but he isn't gonna run a 8 yard hook or catch and break a quick slant in traffic on 3rd & 7 in crunchtime every week, we need a guy out there who can do that, neither torrey, marlon, nor jacoby can do that(torrey will break almost any slant, as long as he cuts right on the route and gets open enough to catch it, which he doesn't do consistently) pitta is our only great hands and precise route running receiving threat, we need to add another to compliment what we currently have, all it takes is 1 more well rounded receiver to make this offense take off.

I find it very hard to believe that we will be okay with just Jacoby, Torrey, and Brown even if our running game/o-line get fixed.

One has to ask oneself, "how much do I trust the Raven front office to use our 1st round pick on a wide receiver?" Don't trust them on that at all.

Worse yet, receivers like Marquise Lee are likely to be whats available come the Raven's turn. No smurfs....no smurfs coming off injury....but the fear is that Oz has the old Ozmobile cranked up for just such a pick.

Don't do it Oz....Don't do it, you'll regret it.

Just say no to Trojans

Because Robert Woods, Clay Matthews, Troy Polamalu, etc. are so bad

love jacoby, one of my all time favorite ravens, and ecstatic that he is back and I like him even more knowing he turned down more money from NY just to come back to us. but lets be real, he is a playmaker, a deep threat, and a luxury weapon that fits perfectly for our big armed qb to throw to on occasions, is he in any way, shape, or form a reliable #2 or even #3? not even close, especially when the other 2 receivers we have aren't well rounded at all.

there is still a shortage at WR, and jacoby is at his best when being limited to returning every kick/punt, and being the 4th/5th option in pass plays.

give the guy the snap count he deserves, he will make his plays, but he isn't gonna run a 8 yard hook or catch and break a quick slant in traffic on 3rd & 7 in crunchtime every week, we need a guy out there who can do that, neither torrey, marlon, nor jacoby can do that(torrey will break almost any slant, as long as he cuts right on the route and gets open enough to catch it, which he doesn't do consistently) pitta is our only great hands and precise route running receiving threat, we need to add another to compliment what we currently have, all it takes is 1 more well rounded receiver to make this offense take off.

Julian Edelman comes to mind here.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying here and I'm glad someone else saw Jacoby's desire and improvement in his second year as a Raven. I think most discount the fact that we had 0 running game and horrible O line play that, in general, stifled last year's passing game. Contrary to popular belief, I think Dragonfly can be a reliable target. Fix the O line and running game and it will make Joe and all of the incumbent receivers much better. 

That said, I do feel we need to bring in a "Stokley" type guy to play in the slot, someone we just don't have now.

For those asking for that "stokely-like" or "possession" guy who can "move the chains consistently,"  .... isn't that what Pitta was re-signed to do?  Doesn't he fill that role?

And as for the consistency part, isn't that more on the quarterback than the receivers?  Flacco's got to improve HIS consistency before the receivers can improve theirs.  There seemed to be a lot more missed throws last season than crucial drops.

Bringing in more talent to compete never hurts, and if the Ravens had an unlimited number or roster spots and salary space.... sure, bring in 30 receivers.  But since both of those things are not the case.... I think those roster spots and salary cap would be much better suited for offensive linemen, corners, and safeties.

Julian Edelman comes to mind here.

id prefer to address it in the draft where WR is very strong, and use FA to address our other holes, and I will remain adamant about that belief until it happens. there isn't a single WR in FA that is the answer to what we are missing in our WR corps, im not convinced Edelman is anything more than a product of the brady/bellichick system, call it a bandwagon opinion but I don't see him as a good fit. if he were to go to GB or NO or some pass heavy offense that emphasizes timing in your passing game, he would excel, but I just don't see him working out with us.

For those asking for that "stokely-like" or "possession" guy who can "move the chains consistently,"  .... isn't that what Pitta was re-signed to do?  Doesn't he fill that role?

And as for the consistency part, isn't that more on the quarterback than the receivers?  Flacco's got to improve HIS consistency before the receivers can improve theirs.  There seemed to be a lot more missed throws last season than crucial drops.

Bringing in more talent to compete never hurts, and if the Ravens had an unlimited number or roster spots and salary space.... sure, bring in 30 receivers.  But since both of those things are not the case.... I think those roster spots and salary cap would be much better suited for offensive linemen, corners, and safeties.

Well, even though Pitta lines up in the slot at times, he is a TE.  We need a dependable slot receiver to add to the mix, but I'm with you that the bulk of the $ should go to the positions you mention, especially O line. I think we probably get Steve S. on the cheap to play in the slot for one or two years.

You can hang Flacco for last year if you want, but the offensive woes began and ended with poor O line play, and no running game. Improvement in those areas will improve Joe and the receiving corps.

The misconceptions about Jacoby Jones..."DRAGONFLY" may not be as fast as a speeding bullet....but neither is a Corvette Stingray!

Jacoby might not take it to the house every time he touches the ball....but show me the fan or opposing NFL team whose rate of adrenalin doesn't rise when he has the football in his possession and I'll show you an athlete who should be nicknamed, "PRIMETIME TOO"!

Jacoby not only is he pigeon toed but he has wings on the heels of his feet!

All in all I feel that there is no misconceptions about Jacoby Jones.....except the misconception that he is not a reliable target for his quarterback! :190048:   

I don't gossip....so you didn't hear that one from me!!!!

Go-o-o-o-o Ravens!!!!

The OP is wrong about not needing to bring in any other WRs, we need new blood in our receiving corps to mix things up. Granted, our oline sucked last year and didn't help our run or pass game, but the same WRs that we have weren't getting open. We need to bring in someone new.

Dude our receiving corps is nothing but new blood.

Here's why our offense sucked last season.

1. Offensive line play. (See reasons 2 and 3)

2.No running game. Zero push from oline, no holes, and Ray Rice had no burst.

3.No Pass Protection. Flacco was getting teed up all season, he had no time at all usually.

4. Offensive coordinator. Caldwell is not an OC, was running Cam Cameron's tired old offense. Teams knew what we were going to do before we did it.

5. Injuries to Pitta and Jacoby forced us to rely on butter fingers Dickson, and two washed up veterans in Clarke and Stokley for most of the season.

6. AQ shipley and gino gradkowski should get jobs working for EZ pass. They are experts in the field of letting people motor on bye without stopoing first.

Jacoby Jones is a generally raw WR...he is fast, doesn't run the best routes, and is more of a body catcher than a hands catcher which is always a concern. The only way he knows how to separate from DBs is too run as fast as he can away from them...which is absolutely fine and we have seen him get open like that before and make plays. He is just not the well rounded WR that we really need right now.

We had him last year and in the games he wasn't injured he was a non factor when it came to moving the chains on a consistent basis...because again as I previously stated he lacks the route running to get open on those short-intermediate routes.  In my opinion he probably the best RS in the NFL, and a good deep threat as a WR3/4.

Like it or not we will get a WR who will line up beside Torrey and Marlon...be it a free agent or a rookie. Last year was disastrous for our passing game and it was in large part due to our lack of talent at the WR spot. We need 1 or 2 new faces at the position to ensure we can convert 3rd downs and actually generate some damn passing yards. 

Last season disaster was cause by the following in order

1. OL play, including zone blocking. This affected every other aspect of the offense.

a. poor run game, including run game coordinator

b. Weak TE play, Dickson has a small catch radius and Clark isn't a blocker.  

c. Weak WR play, defenses quickly learned how to shut down Torrey when Jacoby got injured. Thompson = non factor,  Marlon emerged as bit of a surprise. 

d. Weak  QB play, Bad routes and/or bad throws. Not enough short routes due to the failed run attempts that put the offense in 2nd, 3rd and long. Too many QB hits and QB interceptions.

I listed everything under "1" because that where the problem started and spread like a cold in an elementary school closed-in classroom.

Last season disaster was cause by the following in order

1. OL play, including zone blocking. This affected every other aspect of the offense.

a. poor run game, including run game coordinator

b. Weak TE play, Dickson has a small catch radius and Clark isn't a blocker.  

c. Weak WR play, defenses quickly learned how to shut down Torrey when Jacoby got injured. Thompson = non factor,  Marlon emerged as bit of a surprise. 

d. Weak  QB play, Bad routes and/or bad throws. Not enough short routes due to the failed run attempts that put the offense in 2nd, 3rd and long. Too many QB hits and QB interceptions.

I listed everything under "1" because that where the problem started and spread like a cold in an elementary school closed-in classroom.

Still we didn't  have a reliable target who could convert 3rd downs for us...a lot of short crummy routes that weren't good enough to move the chains. None of the WRs we had were dubbed as the short/ medium route chain movers anyway. If we would have had Pitta out there things may have been different...with Pitta and Smiff this year...things should be a lot different. 

If Jacoby is so great, why is it that at a healthy age and 2 TDs in the Super Bowl, only the Giants and Ravens were interested in paying him a few million a year, and it wasn't big news when he signed with us?

I think the conceptions about him are pretty accurate.

Still we didn't  have a reliable target who could convert 3rd downs for us...a lot of short crummy routes that weren't good enough to move the chains. None of the WRs we had were dubbed as the short/ medium route chain movers anyway. If we would have had Pitta out there things may have been different...with Pitta and Smiff this year...things should be a lot different. 

Having the addition of Pitta and S.Smith will make a huge difference, for that reason I am feeling the increased chance they may target either an OL, CB or FS with the first pick unless Ebron is still on the board, which I don't think he will be. 

not that we didn't need a possession reciever last year, but our main problem on third down was our running game. Third and a bus ride catches up to you