35 replies to this topic

#1 ClintLB8

ClintLB8

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

I'm just curious what you guys think about this. Pernell had a great start to his career in Baltimore, but since then he has kind of fallen off a little bit. Overall, I think he is an odd fit in the 3-4 scheme. He needs to have his hand in the dirt every play as a 4-3 DE. Just wondered what you guys thought about trading McPhee to a team needing a defensive end (I was thinking the Cowboys, but a few other teams that could use depth could be the Bears, Giants, or maybe even the Jaguars). We have Terrell Suggs, Elvis Dumervil, Courtney Upshaw, John Simon, Adrian Hamilton, and even McClellan who can play OLB. If on board, what would you expect/want for him?

TENNESSEE TITANS GM

Tennessee-Titans-Logo-Wallpaper-Wallpape

#2 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,961 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

Totally forgot about him lol wow
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#3 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,148 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

It would be no better than a late round pick.  Better off just keeping him.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#4 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,401 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

He's in a tricky spot. I like him a lot, but I don't know that a team would actually be willing to trade anything for him. He hasn't exactly shown that he can stay healthy, and he's been silent for 2 years now. He actually didn't look too bad in his limited pass rush attempts last year, but if we could get something for him, I would.

#5 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:26 PM

yea... I'd like for him to find a spot somewhere. Who knows man

z66oxxi.jpg

#6 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

switching him to OLB was a bad idea, he isn't built for 4-3 DE, he isn't built for 3-4 OLB, he needs to bulk back up and go to back to his rookie position at 3-4 DE, he had the most success there, his skillset in the nfl is best suited for it, he doesn't have huge burst, but he is agile, heavy handed, skilled with his handwork, and very strong. idk why we tried to fix what isn't broken with him and change his position like we did with kruger, if we keep it up, hes gonna get healthy and have a breakout season and hes gonna get paid elsewhere and were gonna feel stupid for moving the guy around everywhere

#7 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

His constant injuries are the reason why he's never been the same. Cut him or leave him in the rotation it doesn't make much difference, he has no trade value.

#8 Free Agent

Free Agent

Sign me, Ozzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

He's definitely at his best in the 4-3, but I wouldn't even say it's as a 4-3 DE. I think his best play came in our 4-3 looks when he was able to play 4-3 DT as an interior rusher. He was very good his rookie year in that role.

"It's like somebody created him on Madden." - Jacoby Jones on Joe Flacco

"Hodor." - Hodor

#9 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

Maybe it's just that he doesn't fit in to Dean Pees type of defensive scheme but it could be the injuries. I kinda expect him to bounce back next season.

#10 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:06 AM

It would be no better than a late round pick.  Better off just keeping him.

also isn't he playing this year for a chance to a nicer pay-check? arthur jones was good before last season, but he up-ed his game loads going into his last contract year...

#11 MrDelDante

MrDelDante

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:13 AM

also isn't he playing this year for a chance to a nicer pay-check? arthur jones was good before last season, but he up-ed his game loads going into his last contract year...

McPhee will play lights out this year and some other team will over pay for him next year. It's the theme we seem to be following.

Posted Image

#12 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,107 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

I'd trade him. Hell yeah. It's the final year of his deal. Get what we can. Send him to the Cowboys who need cheap pass rush. We can keep Hamilton around.

Edited by GrimCoconut, 12 March 2014 - 11:01 PM.

#13 DocMartin

DocMartin

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:34 AM

We need to replace Arthur Jones, we are thin at D- LINE. I like Pernell but Im not sure he can be a starter there. We need sign FA or draft one. Whats the story on Kapron Lewis-Moore, our draft pick from last year?
Pass interference is the worst penalty in football.

If you poke somebody's eyeball out, you get a a 15-yard penalty.

If you make "contact" with the receiver, it could be 60 yards

(70 yards if you have QB Joe Flacco) and an automatic 1st down.

Makes a lot of sense.

Welcome to the new NFL.

#14 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,578 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:53 AM

Can't stay heathy .

#15 Ravens1991

Ravens1991

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

I hope we bulk him up to his rookie year weight and have him replace Arthur Jones in pass rushing situations that should be his best role.

#16 RobFuseRaven

RobFuseRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

McPhee is still a really good player. Remember our Super Bowl run when Ravens were taking the Pats to school? McPhee was in Brady's face all night, tipping balls and really on his game. I think he should've never been moved to OLB. He can be disruptive as a 3-4 DE when healthy.

AREYOUNOTENTERTAINED_zpsc5c83436.png

“If anybody comes inside, I want to kill them.” -Marshal Yanda

#17 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,107 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:27 AM

McPhee is still a really good player. Remember our Super Bowl run when Ravens were taking the Pats to school? McPhee was in Brady's face all night, tipping balls and really on his game. I think he should've never been moved to OLB. He can be disruptive as a 3-4 DE when healthy.

While I agree, I think McPhee was moved in part to a few reasons. First, when he gained weight his second year (the year we lost Redding) he was ineffective and didn't seem to have the conditioning to play all downs. I think the move to OLB was to help him be better conditioned. I'm not fond of it, personally. I'd prefer to return him to his rookie weight and move him back to DT. 

#18 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,401 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

He could honestly be on the chopping block this year.  He has a poor track record of health and he doesn't have a true position.  He's too small to stand up physically in the trenches, and he's a bit too big to be an effective pass rusher from OLB in the 3-4.  His best position is as a 4-3 DE or interior pass rusher in nickel situations, but those positions are pretty crowded as well.  Someone like Adrian Hamilton could very well push him out of a spot.

#19 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,107 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:39 PM

He could honestly be on the chopping block this year.  He has a poor track record of health and he doesn't have a true position.  He's too small to stand up physically in the trenches, and he's a bit too big to be an effective pass rusher from OLB in the 3-4.  His best position is as a 4-3 DE or interior pass rusher in nickel situations, but those positions are pretty crowded as well.  Someone like Adrian Hamilton could very well push him out of a spot.

I'd really be all for trading him to a team like the Cowboys. What kind of value do you see him having? I have an idea myself, but I'd like to hear it from someone else. I think we're more likely to hold onto him and try to use him as a role player to get him attention and then let him walk to get us a comp pick. That's my opinion, though. 

Personally, I think it's time to move on right now if we can. He's a great role player but like Kruger, if we can cash in on him then I would. That's how I feel, anyway. 

#20 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,401 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

I'd really be all for trading him to a team like the Cowboys. What kind of value do you see him having? I have an idea myself, but I'd like to hear it from someone else. I think we're more likely to hold onto him and try to use him as a role player to get him attention and then let him walk to get us a comp pick. That's my opinion, though.

Personally, I think it's time to move on right now if we can. He's a great role player but like Kruger, if we can cash in on him then I would. That's how I feel, anyway.

I don't really know if he has any trade value. Oft injured and has been silent for the past 2 years. If we could cast him off for a 7th, I'd do it. He just hasn't come close to replicating that rookie success and is a bit of an odd fit on the team, especially with a young promising player behind him in Hamilton. It's unfortunate since I really like him, but I think he's reached his peak in our scheme and could use a change of scenery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users