389 replies to this topic

#1 fistfullwales

fistfullwales

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

Apparently he is considering making a comeback...don't we own his rights? I doubt we would keep him if he did come back if we do hold his rights, but interesting nonetheless. 

http://www.rotoworld...rolando-mcclain

#2 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

The article you provided says he's a FA, but I thought since he never actually played for us, and retired a few weeks after signing a 1 year deal, we would still own his rights. I don't recall ever seeing anything saying we released him. Not positive though.

#3 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,716 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

The article you provided says he's a FA, but I thought since he never actually played for us, and retired a few weeks after signing a 1 year deal, we would still own his rights. I don't recall ever seeing anything saying we released him. Not positive though.

We still hold his rights.  We can choose to match the 1 year, $800K (or whatever he signed last year) contract from last year for 2014.

#4 cushrinada1986

cushrinada1986

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

Here is another link to the story:

http://www.nfl.com/n...ng-nfl-comeback

We still own his rights and to be honest, he is still talented enough of a backer that, depending on his physical status, could start if he hits training camp and OTA's, which may lower Smiths value and possible lower his price. Wonder what will OZ do? 

#5 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

Wasn't a bad signing last year...wouldn't be a bad one this year if we choose to keep him. If anything he is a rotational player who could push Arthur Brown for the starting job. He is in a much better state of mind than he was last year...my only concern is his playing ability. Is he in shape? Can he still play at the same level with the same aggression?

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#6 SaraB

SaraB

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Plus, we have already been called the "jailbirds" this offseason, so we might as well keep bringing them in! ;)

Anyways, if the price is right, the potential reward is decent, and the risk is low, why not?  But I'd keep him on a short leash.

#7 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,870 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

@RavensInsider: Source says nothing imminent as far as a Rolando McClain comeback, called it "premature." Can always change later
15fqib6.jpg

#8 TXRavensFan

TXRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

Sign him to the same deal we offered last year, low risk - high reward. If the guy has gotten his act together, and put put his talent to use on the field, McClain and Brown would give us a good, young ILB foundation for years to come.

Couldn't hurt to bring him in for a look-see through training camp.

Posted Image

#9 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,716 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

Sign him to the same deal we offered last year, low risk - high reward. If the guy has gotten his act together, and put put his talent to use on the field, McClain and Brown would give us a good, young ILB foundation for years to come.

Couldn't hurt to bring him in for a look-see through training camp.

It could if he gets arrested again.  Our image already looks terrible.

#10 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

It could if he gets arrested again. Our image already looks terrible.

Image is nothing. Thirst is everything.

#11 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,716 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

I'm certainly open to the idea of him coming back.  Don't get me wrong.  If we do consider it, I just hope we go through a long process of evaluating him and making sure it would be a good decision.

#12 TXRavensFan

TXRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

For now at least..until players from other teams start getting in trouble....and at least there haven't been any felony arrests. Once the media latches on to the next shiny thing, no one will remember Jah Reid pr Deonte Thompson.

Posted Image

#13 IceDevilHH81

IceDevilHH81

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

I would give him a chance!  One year deal so he can prove himself with minimum salary‚Ķ must stay out of trouble and work hard to earn a longer deal!

#14 FerrariFan87

FerrariFan87

Trust Me, A Jedi I Am

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,315 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

Why not give him a chance to prove himself during OTAs and the preseason? He's only 25 and was a highly regarded prospect coming out of Alabama... and we all know how Ozzie feels about Alabama players :)

2550rra.jpg

#15 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

Lol

#16 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

I honestly like him as a 2 down guy and could expand on his role from there. I trust that he has his life straightened out actually which may seem surprising considering our streak with arrests.

In Ozzie We Trust

#17 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

Wasn't a huge fan of signing him in the first place but he took a year off to 'get right'. Plus, with the way our off-season is going, employing ex-cons is better than current ones.

a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#18 lowrider

lowrider

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Hopefully a year away from the spotlight and some cash shortage is the motivation this guy needed

#19 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

i fully welcome this, so long as he doesnt take snaps from arthur brown, which i doubt he would anyway because i see him becoming a full time starter. i think if we re-signed daryl smith and mcclain comes back, we would have a formidable 3 ILB rotation by midseason once mcclain were to hit his stride. honestly with a 3 man LB corps like that i would welcome having them as a 4-3 LB group as long as we would have the front 4 to support it. mcclain is still quite a talented run stopping LB and i was disappointed to see how his situation played out

#20 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

I haven't heard anything about him getting in trouble, and this might actually be the longest he's gone without an arrest since being drafted.  He also got married last year (although he was arrested after that), so maybe that has also helped a bit in grounding him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users