Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sunday QB

Haloti Ngata -16 million cap hit - what options available?

28 posts in this topic

It doesn't look like he wants to be a team player (from what I have read) and let the Ravens extend him. So what options are available to lower his CAP hit?

pretty much nothing until next season.

Nothing.  Extending him is a risk in and of itself since Ngata is a guy that has talked about retirement before.

Pay him this year and draft a replacement for next year.

Why not get a deal done with Art Jones, have him in rotation and then next year he can take over for Ngata. No need to draft a replacement.

This unfortunately looks like a deal that we'll just have to live with.  I don't think we would want to extend him and kick the can down the road simply because he's talked about retiring before, and he is fairly injury prone.  We cannot afford to become the Steelers and start restructuring huge contracts, otherwise we'll just end up in cap hell like they are, and will be for the next few seasons.

Why not get a deal done with Art Jones, have him in rotation and then next year he can take over for Ngata. No need to draft a replacement.

Jones isn't durable enough to replace ngata or as versatile as him to replace him. In fact I don't think art ever played in a NT position.

Right now we have plenty enough cap space to get things done. There is no options with Ngata except to pay him and hope he delivers.

Jones isn't durable enough to replace ngata or as versatile as him to replace him. In fact I don't think art ever played in a NT position.

I've seen him play on the nose in pass situations but never in a straight 3-4.

I forgot we moved Ngata to NT. I was thinking he was still at DE. In that case we have his replacement on the roster already, Brandon Williams. 

I like the idea of keeping but Jones is going to cost a lot more than I think we are going to spend unless we forget about signing Monroe. I think we can miss out on Monroe and maybe try for the lineman from the raiders he will be cheaper and resign Oher on a cheap deal and we can keep Jones and Smith.

Edited by ravensfan520

I forgot we moved Ngata to NT. I was thinking he was still at DE. In that case we have his replacement on the roster already, Brandon Williams.

Still need another. We need depth on the line.

We signed him to this deal just before week 3 of the 2011 season, when he was at his peak. The problem was that we made far too much of the deal guaranteed money, so, as has been pointed out, there really isn't much we can do until 2015. That being said I think Ngata has at least one more season with the Ravens.

Ngata has had more injury trouble than A. Jones has had. Jones has missed slightly more games because Ngata has been able to play through a lot of his problems, yet it has seriously affected his production. Take the 2011 season for example. Ngata was on fire for the first four games or so, yet trailed off as the year went on.

It is also not uncommon for Ngata to play very well in the first and second quarters of games, but to disappear in the second half. He may just need to eat less and exercise more, but this could also be seen as evidence that his leg injuries get worse as Ngata continues to play.

Absolutely nothing. It's really just a shame injuries have plagued him so heavily since he signed that contract, could have had a HOF career. I give him massive credit for playing through the pain though. I guess we just have to hope that he can play at a solid enough level to maintain the respect of commanding a double team and freeing others up. 

Hmmm I'm not even sure if Williams is really a true NT. I'm not saying he can't be but it will be important  for The Ravens to have a solid back up NT behind Ngata because they can't continue to use him  as much as they did last year and expect him to stay effective or healthy.  

Absolutely nothing. It's really just a shame injuries have plagued him so heavily since he signed that contract, could have had a HOF career. I give him massive credit for playing through the pain though. I guess we just have to hope that he can play at a solid enough level to maintain the respect of commanding a double team and freeing others up. 

That's a good point that is not often heard. I remember an offseason or two ago when Ngata showed up at the Castle above his average playing weight, and people were calling him a quitter. He played hurt in a lot of games.

I wouldn't quite give up on Ngata getting into the HOF, though I think that the only guy currently on the team who could retire right now and have a shot in five years would be Suggs.

Why the heck do teams sign these guys to these contracts that explode down the line. And then have to cut them, I've always been curious to back loaded contracts opposed to front loaded.

I like Williams for nose but I think we should at least give him some competition for the spot instead of practically giving him the job. Maybe we draft someone mid to late who can also play nose and the loser can sub in on running and short yardage situations. I think that would work well for us.

That's a good point that is not often heard. I remember an offseason or two ago when Ngata showed up at the Castle above his average playing weight, and people were calling him a quitter. He played hurt in a lot of games.

I wouldn't quite give up on Ngata getting into the HOF, though I think that the only guy currently on the team who could retire right now and have a shot in five years would be Suggs.

When injuries on a big guy like that begin to pile up it really hampers everything they do physically. It's tough to keep the weight off when your a naturally heavy guy and can't workout the way you want to because the body is saying no. His team first attitude definitely needs to be appreciated. 

If Ngata can get back to where he was at the start of 2011 the potential is absolutely there. And I do agree .. Sizzle has the accolades to make him a borderline HOFer right now. He should also hit 100 career sacks this year so I'm excited for that. 

We could trade him for picks in this years draft

Still take the cap hit for this season and next season. We're stuck with him. Can only hope he returns to his dominant self and plays at a 16 million dollar level.

So what options are available to lower his CAP hit?

None, they were tried and it didn't work.  His deal is up after 2015, and based on his interviews in the past a lot of us think he's being obstinate about his deal is that he has no intention of playing beyond this contract.  The risk would have been to extend him and then have him retire with money still left on the books, then you're paying for a guy who isn't even on your roster.  At this point the best you can do is hope he returns to dominant form next year, or at least doesn't regress even further.

No leverage to make him drop that number period. Also, it may also be that he doesn't want an extension because he may be planning to retire. He is a type that will do what is necessary and not more.

Nothing against him, but he is just that type of a guy, not a Ray Lewis type work ethic. He is just a football player who likes to hang out with his family more than he enjoys suiting up. There are those kinds of players on our roster, but there is nothing one can do about it, because it is what it is...