62 replies to this topic

#1 pitchblack_20

pitchblack_20

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

I wasn't sure where to put this topic since there were no specific threads about Torrey but I just watched his video about the sales pitch and I'm proud that he's part of our organization. His idea was actually a very good one about the UA cologne. The only difference I would make is instead of cologne, maybe a body spray. But he is a bright man and to keep this football related, I hope we waste no time extending him next offseason.

#2 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Yea he and Jimmy Smith will be our top priorities next offseason. Both will command pretty lucrative deals. For Torrey something along the lines of the Antonio Brown/Mike Williams contract around $7-8M per year. Unless for some reason his production tanks or he gets injured...but then we just get a bargain deal :)

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#3 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,198 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

I'm hoping we extend one or both this summer - I expect Torrey especially to flourish in Kubiak's system, and then we'll have to pay even more next offseason if we don't lock him up soon.

#4 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

Yea he and Jimmy Smith will be our top priorities next offseason. Both will command pretty lucrative deals. For Torrey something along the lines of the Antonio Brown/Mike Williams contract around $7-8M per year. Unless for some reason his production tanks or he gets injured...but then we just get a bargain deal :)

I'm hoping we extend one or both this summer - I expect Torrey especially to flourish in Kubiak's system, and then we'll have to pay even more next offseason if we don't lock him up soon.

Totally agree to both posts. Would luv to see Torrey extended this summer even if it raises his cap hit now.

#5 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

Totally agree to both posts. Would luv to see Torrey extended this summer even if it raises his cap hit now.

Almost certain it won't raise the cap hit now if he's extended. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think it would.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 06 March 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#6 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,619 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

Almost certain it won't raise the cap hit now if he's extended. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think it would.

Depends how the contract is structured.  You could have it come into effect now or next year.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

French Toast Mafia GM

Twitter

#7 orangle123

orangle123

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:00 PM

Can we just for a moment recognize that Torrey is a wonderful human being, and that two years ago he lost his brother, and yet he is still pretty undoubtably the brightest spot of this great organization.  His hardships shouldn't be forgotten, along with his great success on and off the field.  I don't think I've seen a Raven in recent history make as great an impact on the community and on the fanbase than this man has.  I would actually be heartbroken to see him go.  I can't wait to see him flourish into a top 5 WR.  Let's be real, if the human cannon that is our quarterback can get his act together (I mean consistency, which is in fact an issue Flacco faces) and Torrey can stay healthy, I see him becoming one of the great receivers of this era.  Maybe I'm being a bit hopeful, but cmon, can't you guys see it too?

Edited by orangle123, 08 March 2014 - 11:00 PM.

#8 BSHU_Miami

BSHU_Miami

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:38 AM

Can we just for a moment recognize that Torrey is a wonderful human being, and that two years ago he lost his brother, and yet he is still pretty undoubtably the brightest spot of this great organization. His hardships shouldn't be forgotten, along with his great success on and off the field. I don't think I've seen a Raven in recent history make as great an impact on the community and on the fanbase than this man has. I would actually be heartbroken to see him go. I can't wait to see him flourish into a top 5 WR. Let's be real, if the human cannon that is our quarterback can get his act together (I mean consistency, which is in fact an issue Flacco faces) and Torrey can stay healthy, I see him becoming one of the great receivers of this era. Maybe I'm being a bit hopeful, but cmon, can't you guys see it too?

no I don't sorry, he is only 4th best in out division

#9 Played

Played

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

The signing bonus with an extension would make his cap number go up this year.

If the deal would be anything like Antonio Browns (which I think would be a good starting point), he recived an 8,5 million bonus for a 5 year extension. That would mean Torreys cap number would jump from roughley 1 million to 2,4 m this year, not a steep price to pay to lock him up 5 more years and a relative small bonus proration making it possible for us to part ways with out to much finacial damage should something happen down the raod.

#10 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

Considering our offense tanked last season, Torrey had a darn good year.  I see an even better year this season.  After that disappointment last season, I have to believe there's a drastic change in the air.

2jcew5c.jpg

#11 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

Torrey Smith is definitely a true raven with his play on the field and his conduct off the field. He's got the makings of a lifer for this team .. and provided his growth stays on course he'll have all the Ravens Receiving Records. 

#12 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

What you said right up until you started talking about his play was spot on.

Unless he takes a major step under kubiak he will be a limited receiver that can be easily gameplanned out by playing a cover two man and not letting him get behind you.

Hopefully and actual wideout coach and o coordinator can help him turn into a complete receiver that can run all the routes and doesn't drop as many balls.

#13 AnneAButler

AnneAButler

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Torrey is bright and generous. Truthfully I am a little biased, involved first hand in The Torrey Smith Foundation, but I feel so thankful to be working with such an intelligent and giving young man. 

Did you guys hear about his 4th Annual Celebrity All Star B-ball Game coming up? 

#14 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,476 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

Torrey may or may not ever be a top flight reciever, but he is a true Raven, on and off the field. I'm proud to have him here, especially after the events of this off-season.
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#15 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,543 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:16 PM

Torrey may or may not ever be a top flight reciever, but he is a true Raven, on and off the field. I'm proud to have him here, especially after the events of this off-season.

Totally agree. He's just a good guy and doesn't have to try hard to be one.

Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#16 AnneAButler

AnneAButler

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

Couldn't agree more - it comes so naturally for him. It'll be good to see him and some of his teammates together Mar 29 at U of Maryland. These guys always have a good time together. Truly a brotherhood. The way they support each other is admirable.

#17 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

Torrey was just at the chicken & waffles spot on the Blvd in my hood....

#18 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

Torrey was just at the chicken & waffles spot on the Blvd in my hood....

How are said Chicken and waffles?

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#19 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

How are said Chicken and waffles?

???

#20 mmcclend

mmcclend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

with more touches via screens, slants, drags, SCREENS Torrey can be a premier playmaker in the league.  Not a top 5 receiver but maybe top 10.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users