Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pitchblack_20

Torrey Smith

63 posts in this topic

I wasn't sure where to put this topic since there were no specific threads about Torrey but I just watched his video about the sales pitch and I'm proud that he's part of our organization. His idea was actually a very good one about the UA cologne. The only difference I would make is instead of cologne, maybe a body spray. But he is a bright man and to keep this football related, I hope we waste no time extending him next offseason.

Yea he and Jimmy Smith will be our top priorities next offseason. Both will command pretty lucrative deals. For Torrey something along the lines of the Antonio Brown/Mike Williams contract around $7-8M per year. Unless for some reason his production tanks or he gets injured...but then we just get a bargain deal :)

I'm hoping we extend one or both this summer - I expect Torrey especially to flourish in Kubiak's system, and then we'll have to pay even more next offseason if we don't lock him up soon.

Yea he and Jimmy Smith will be our top priorities next offseason. Both will command pretty lucrative deals. For Torrey something along the lines of the Antonio Brown/Mike Williams contract around $7-8M per year. Unless for some reason his production tanks or he gets injured...but then we just get a bargain deal :)

I'm hoping we extend one or both this summer - I expect Torrey especially to flourish in Kubiak's system, and then we'll have to pay even more next offseason if we don't lock him up soon.

Totally agree to both posts. Would luv to see Torrey extended this summer even if it raises his cap hit now.

Totally agree to both posts. Would luv to see Torrey extended this summer even if it raises his cap hit now.

Almost certain it won't raise the cap hit now if he's extended. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think it would.

Almost certain it won't raise the cap hit now if he's extended. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think it would.

Depends how the contract is structured.  You could have it come into effect now or next year.

Can we just for a moment recognize that Torrey is a wonderful human being, and that two years ago he lost his brother, and yet he is still pretty undoubtably the brightest spot of this great organization.  His hardships shouldn't be forgotten, along with his great success on and off the field.  I don't think I've seen a Raven in recent history make as great an impact on the community and on the fanbase than this man has.  I would actually be heartbroken to see him go.  I can't wait to see him flourish into a top 5 WR.  Let's be real, if the human cannon that is our quarterback can get his act together (I mean consistency, which is in fact an issue Flacco faces) and Torrey can stay healthy, I see him becoming one of the great receivers of this era.  Maybe I'm being a bit hopeful, but cmon, can't you guys see it too?

Can we just for a moment recognize that Torrey is a wonderful human being, and that two years ago he lost his brother, and yet he is still pretty undoubtably the brightest spot of this great organization. His hardships shouldn't be forgotten, along with his great success on and off the field. I don't think I've seen a Raven in recent history make as great an impact on the community and on the fanbase than this man has. I would actually be heartbroken to see him go. I can't wait to see him flourish into a top 5 WR. Let's be real, if the human cannon that is our quarterback can get his act together (I mean consistency, which is in fact an issue Flacco faces) and Torrey can stay healthy, I see him becoming one of the great receivers of this era. Maybe I'm being a bit hopeful, but cmon, can't you guys see it too?

no I don't sorry, he is only 4th best in out division

The signing bonus with an extension would make his cap number go up this year.

If the deal would be anything like Antonio Browns (which I think would be a good starting point), he recived an 8,5 million bonus for a 5 year extension. That would mean Torreys cap number would jump from roughley 1 million to 2,4 m this year, not a steep price to pay to lock him up 5 more years and a relative small bonus proration making it possible for us to part ways with out to much finacial damage should something happen down the raod.

Considering our offense tanked last season, Torrey had a darn good year.  I see an even better year this season.  After that disappointment last season, I have to believe there's a drastic change in the air.

Torrey Smith is definitely a true raven with his play on the field and his conduct off the field. He's got the makings of a lifer for this team .. and provided his growth stays on course he'll have all the Ravens Receiving Records. 

What you said right up until you started talking about his play was spot on.

Unless he takes a major step under kubiak he will be a limited receiver that can be easily gameplanned out by playing a cover two man and not letting him get behind you.

Hopefully and actual wideout coach and o coordinator can help him turn into a complete receiver that can run all the routes and doesn't drop as many balls.

Torrey is bright and generous. Truthfully I am a little biased, involved first hand in The Torrey Smith Foundation, but I feel so thankful to be working with such an intelligent and giving young man. 

Did you guys hear about his 4th Annual Celebrity All Star B-ball Game coming up? 

Torrey may or may not ever be a top flight reciever, but he is a true Raven, on and off the field. I'm proud to have him here, especially after the events of this off-season.

Torrey may or may not ever be a top flight reciever, but he is a true Raven, on and off the field. I'm proud to have him here, especially after the events of this off-season.

Totally agree. He's just a good guy and doesn't have to try hard to be one.

Couldn't agree more - it comes so naturally for him. It'll be good to see him and some of his teammates together Mar 29 at U of Maryland. These guys always have a good time together. Truly a brotherhood. The way they support each other is admirable.

Torrey was just at the chicken & waffles spot on the Blvd in my hood....

How are said Chicken and waffles?

with more touches via screens, slants, drags, SCREENS Torrey can be a premier playmaker in the league.  Not a top 5 receiver but maybe top 10.  

???

I was just curious if the food was good.  I was just wondering if Torrey was going out of his way for it.

I was just curious if the food was good. I was just wondering if Torrey was going out of his way for it.

Like Frank underwood

Like Frank underwood

Almost my exact thought.  Mid way through season 2 I was like "i need ribs right now"

Can we just for a moment recognize that Torrey is a wonderful human being, and that two years ago he lost his brother, and yet he is still pretty undoubtably the brightest spot of this great organization.  His hardships shouldn't be forgotten, along with his great success on and off the field.  I don't think I've seen a Raven in recent history make as great an impact on the community and on the fanbase than this man has.  I would actually be heartbroken to see him go.  I can't wait to see him flourish into a top 5 WR.  Let's be real, if the human cannon that is our quarterback can get his act together (I mean consistency, which is in fact an issue Flacco faces) and Torrey can stay healthy, I see him becoming one of the great receivers of this era.  Maybe I'm being a bit hopeful, but cmon, can't you guys see it too?

torrey just doesnt possess the skillset to become a top receiver, but that doesnt mean he wont produce like one. with the right cast around him he could put up numbers with the best of them, but he will never be the type to carry an offense like megatron or AJ green or dez bryant could. but yes i agree 100% with everything else, he is one of the true good guys in this league, and is such a high character guy with an incredible work ethic, and not a selfish bone in his body like other receivers in the league. he is the merlin olson of wide receivers, and if he were to ever leave this team i would be very upset. thats one of the few losses i would really struggle with.

Torrey is a "Raven for life"! He embodies everything our franchise has stood for from day one!! Go young man go!!

Considering our offense tanked last season, Torrey had a darn good year.  I see an even better year this season.  After that disappointment last season, I have to believe there's a drastic change in the air.

The offense pissed me off so badly last season....at this point....I'll believe it's changed when I see it's changed Gene.

#Mili

The offense pissed me off so badly last season....at this point....I'll believe it's changed when I see it's changed Gene.

#Mili

They need to address the O-Line for me to be 100% confident, but I think there is enough for us to see improvement... New OC, new scheme, new receiver, Pitta back full speed, knowledge and confidence...  along with frustration left over from last yr.  We'll see.   Add in Ray Rice's NEED for improvement...

They need to address the O-Line for me to be 100% confident, but I think there is enough for us to see improvement... New OC, new scheme, new receiver, Pitta back full speed, knowledge and confidence...  along with frustration left over from last yr.  We'll see.   Add in Ray Rice's NEED for improvement...

Glad for the additions but it is still not enough!  None of that translates over to how these cats (offense) will play on the field.  I need to SEE the improvement...not just hear about it!

#Mili

Torrey possess the skill set to be a top wr. He has the athleticism and most importantly the drive. The only thing I think that separates him from other guys is his height. He can go up and get the ball, beat guys deep and his hands have shown improvement each year, as well as his routes. The offense was brown water trash last year and he still managed one of his best seasons. I think we see the leap expected last year if the o line and play calling can match our teams talent. The thing holding back our offense was the philosophy and playbook if you ask me. Last year was a complete meltdown, due to our lines inability to do anything coherently as a unit.

I think Torrey Smith is going to be cheaper than JImmy Smith.

Have you seen what the market rate for good cornerbacks were going this offseason.