baltimorefan328

Champ Bailey as FS?

28 posts in this topic

Sorry not sure how old this is, but I just saw on the Late for Work post that Champ Bailey was cut by the Broncos and is open to moving to safety. I think this could be a great stop gap and he probably would not come very expensive because of his age. I know our last memory of him is Torrey Smith burning him for 2 TDs, but I'm sure champ still has some very good speed and could be the instinctive center field type guy we want for a year. This could also give some flexibility in the draft for the Ravens to draft a FS in the mid rounds and allow him to sit and learn for a year.

I know this probably isn't ideal but I think with how many holes the Ravens have, signing a quality guy like Champ who already said he is willing to switch to safety as a stop gap could be a good move if very cheap. The FS position could potentially be solved, the Ravens would not have to go into the year with either 2 very young safeties or having to go through another year with Elam at FS, and would not have to spend too much money as they would if they went after a guy like Byrd. If the guy from Louisville is there in the 2nd or 3rd and the Ravens still want to draft him, this shouldnt change a thing because you still probably wouldnt want a rookie and 2nd year starting safeties. Overall I think it could be a great move if the price is right, there just can't be too many downsides to a move like this if he passes his physical and doesnt demand a lot of money

Id be fine with giving him a shot, if he was willing to sign for a very low price, something we would not have a problem cutting loose if he plays as bad as he did last year. However, he has been a corner his whole career so I don't know how well he will even transfer over to safety.

He is OLD....very OLD. He needs to either resign with Denver at a cheaper price and switch to FS like they wanted him to, or sign with someone like the 49ers Panthers or one of the other contenders. Its Super Bowl or bust at this point in his career. 

Edited by Purple_ICE 81

Possibly a cheaper price tag

Looking at his age, and coming off probably his worst season as a pro....I'd hope he isn't thinking he's going to strike big money with any team

No. I'm actually very appreciative of the youth movement we're going through. Get a younger guy. It seems like Champs body is starting to fail him as well. The only old players I'll accept are lineman.

dude is old and old and old, and our team need to start building on young hungry Ravens ever since Ray retired and Ed left with his age.....

Just remember who killed the Champ--Torrey Smith in the 2012 divisional round! By kill I mean put the first initial wounds in that exposed Champ as a slower and older CB. The nail in the coffin was obviously the SB where he got burned.

Still a HOFer though.

Listen, I'm all for bringing in a "season" (old) cat like Champ at the FS spot that can help the young pups.  Clinton Portis also mentioned Baltimore as a landing spot for Champ.  However, at the same time; I am a big proponent of the "youth-movement" for the Ravens.  Let the young lions roar!

#Mili

ahmm, what's he got that Ed didn't have?

Better tackler  maybe

Edited by jazz1988

His productivity fell faster than anyone I've seen in the past year.

No the to bailey

He didn't really play at all for most of the regular season due to a foot injury. I can understand that hes old and etc but maybe he's situation is just another case where he's a player that had a down season due to injury .

Just because a player is old and slow does not qualify them to play Free Safety.

I think he's got the skills to be a very good safety. He's a very sure tackler and he's smart, great in coverage, great in zone, very savvy and reads QBs well. Similar to Rod Woodson. But really he's just a 1 year option. I would prefer Ed Reed. Edited by Bullrush

My concern would be tackling and his body being able to withstand it for an entire season. The plus side of it, is he could easily fill in for corner if needed. Would be great for depth and pass coverage would be much improved but I'd need to sign another safety who could play behind him as an insurance policy just in case. Wouldnt sign him for anything higher than $3mill per

Graham will command less $ and should even play better, therefore we should make an effort to resign him. We have three very good starting caliber CBs and, no offense to Bailey (who has had a great career), but I do not see the need to bring in an overpaid veteran to take up playing time from a group of much younger and better players.

If we do sign Bailey it should be to free safety. As 0-o pointed out, he could play CB for a little while if anybody ever goes down. However we should not sign him as a CB.

I realize people may not like Champ as a CB but the author seems to have titled the topic about bringing him here as a FS. I wouldn't mind bringing him here personally. I'm not high on the idea but I think it could be a move we'll make.