175 replies to this topic

#1 Ausman

Ausman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

I say after Friday we should forget about Monre if we don't sign him by then.

Another strong second option (or should I say 1B option) should be Jared Veldheer from the Raiders. He's bigger and stronger and closely resembles J.Ogden.

We need size especially the fact that our o-line was being overpowered. I also credit that to not having a healthy K.O. at Guard.

I would go with the bigger and stronger Tackle at this point and I heard rumors that Veldheer can hanlde 2 D-lineman at once. That guy is a hulk and could come at a cheaper price, which is a bonus considering the money that the Ravens need to save up to fill other needs. Size does matter!

Thoughts?

#2 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

Isn't he coming off a pretty big injury?

#3 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

Nope
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#4 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

Regardless of anyone's opinion of bringing him in, he is further proof that quality players can be found outside of the top 10 in the draft.

Just say no to a $10M+ Monroe

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#5 Sami84

Sami84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

Jared Veldheer is good. Monroe I feel is a better scheme fit as far as Kubiak is concerned

#6 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

I am debating whether we take a chance on a rookie at the blind side or go out and get someone like Veldheer.  If he is so good, then why would the Raiders not resign him?

Super Bowl Champions 01/28/01 and 02/03/13!

#7 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

Veldheer isn't leaving the Raiders - they're deep in cap space and short on talent.

#8 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

there are other options.  But Monroe is clearly the best LT on the market, and I think he knows that.  

Regardless of anyone's opinion of bringing him in, he is further proof that quality players can be found outside of the top 10 in the draft.

Just say no to a $10M+ Monroe

At LT it's rare.  Like... really really rare.

As in since 2008 there have been two quality LTs (to my knowledge, and I checked a little while ago) drafted outside the first round.  Veldheer and Baas from the giants.  LT and QB are the two positions that are just freakishly highly drafted

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#9 Ausman

Ausman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

Isn't he coming off a pretty big injury?

Yes he is but he's still very young and can recover quickly. Actually he has been recovering and should be ready for training camp.

#10 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,769 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

Would Valdheer even fit with the new scheme?  I don't pay much attention to Oline play outside of Baltimore but it seems in Monroe you have a very similar OL that Kubiak was always looking for in Houston.

#11 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

Except he's going to be just as expensive, if not more. Go with the guy that we know in Monroe. He's proven he can play in our system.

#12 ClintLB8

ClintLB8

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

We have to have Monroe. Now, there is a limit on that previous statement of course, but with us needing a right tackle and center, we do not need to go get a "new" left tackle as well. Bringing Monroe, Osemele, and Yanda back for Kubiak's offense is a very strong start to building a dominate offensive line again.

TENNESSEE TITANS GM

Tennessee-Titans-Logo-Wallpaper-Wallpape

#13 RichieAsh

RichieAsh

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

I was scanning Raider forums and there is a thought there that because they're still in rebuilding mode, they don't need to pay a premium for Veldheer now, regardless of their cap space. They could draft a tackle, which would be a lot cheaper or they'll invest top dollar for someone they view as better than Veldheer later once they establish their QB. 

#14 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

I was scanning Raider forums and there is a thought there that because they're still in rebuilding mode, they don't need to pay a premium for Veldheer now, regardless of their cap space. They could draft a tackle, which would be a lot cheaper or they'll invest top dollar for someone they view as better than Veldheer later once they establish their QB. 

Not that it means everything, but so far the Raiders have met with every projected first round quarterback plus Mettenberger and Thomas, and no offensive linemen.  We'll see how this week plays out, but I personally would be very surprised if they let Veldheer hit the open market.  I think they're looking to take a QB in the first round, and want their left tackle in place.  The reality of the situation is we can't make a play for Veldheer until next week at the earliest, and if the Raiders want him, they're going to keep him.

Edited by Ravenslifer, 04 March 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#15 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

The fact of the matter is that Ozzie knew when he sent a 4th and 5th rounder (which he rarely does) that he would need to pay up when the time comes for the new acquisition. If Ozzie doesn't resign Monroe and we lose him than the trade would have been a a complete bust...and I don't think Oz wants that on his resume. He will do everything possible with every penny of cap space that he possibly can to resign Monroe to a contract he deems fair to both sides. If Monroe really wants 10 mill per year Miami may be the only place for him.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#16 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

Would Valdheer even fit with the new scheme? I don't pay much attention to Oline play outside of Baltimore but it seems in Monroe you have a very similar OL that Kubiak was always looking for in Houston.

I'm not sure we really even know what that scheme is....I think they are just now handing out playbooks.
If it's anything like the one in Houston, he's not a great fit, but he should be fine
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#17 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,663 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

I think the general consensus is that Monroe is the best LT available. I hope we get his deal done. 

#18 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,769 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

I'm not sure we really even know what that scheme is....I think they are just now handing out playbooks.
If it's anything like the one in Houston, he's not a great fit, but he should be fine

Thats more what I meant, assuming Kubiak uses the exact same scheme.  I don't think Valdheer fits that very well.

#19 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,663 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

The fact of the matter is that Ozzie knew when he sent a 4th and 5th rounder (which he rarely does) that he would need to pay up when the time comes for the new acquisition. If Ozzie doesn't resign Monroe and we lose him than the trade would have been a a complete bust...and I don't think Oz wants that on his resume. He will do everything possible with every penny of cap space that he possibly can to resign Monroe to a contract he deems fair to both sides. If Monroe really wants 10 mill per year Miami may be the only place for him.

I don't know why everyone keeps complaining about losing the picks we gave for Monroe. I'm pretty sure if we lose him we get similar comp picks next year and it would be a wash.

#20 airconteka1

airconteka1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

If he leaves via free agency I imagine we would pick up a 3rd round comp pick. Either way I'm sure Ozzie treats the trade as a sunk cost and it plays no factor in deciding how much they think Monroe is worth, if he wants more than the Ravens value him at, he is going to leave. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users