18 replies to this topic

#1 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,198 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

Daryl has been mentioned in passing in some other threads, but I think he deserves his own since he's also a priority.  It sounds like he's another guy that we'd like to get done before FA officially starts.  The FO has their work cut out for them and they've done exactly what we've been hoping for so far.

Ravens also making Daryl Smith a priority to retain although no deal imminent according to a source

#2 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

Yeah I think with Pitta signed, he deserves a thread. He will be an important FA as well and he had a BIG impact on our defense this year.

In Ozzie We Trust

#3 rayven98

rayven98

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

Monroe and smith need done hopefully before free agency

#4 ellicottraven

ellicottraven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:34 AM

If we can get Monroe and Smith locked up, this off season will be a resounding success in keeping our good ones. I still think with the cap going to 135M, we should go after either a marquee receiver or O-lineman too. If you allow me to indulge some more, I want Byrd!
Baltimore Ravens - classiest organization in all of organized sport!

#5 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,885 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

He earned a new, shiny deal. Hope we can keep him
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#6 Raven552

Raven552

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Smith was amazing this year, he filled Ray Lewis' spot almost perfect.  I hate to say it but I would think he'd be a priority over Monroe.

#7 redlobster

redlobster

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

I like him but him and brown are similar I'd prefer a more downhill run stuffer next to brown

#8 Miami Hurricane

Miami Hurricane

Category 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

Smith was amazing this year, he filled Ray Lewis' spot almost perfect. I hate to say it but I would think he'd be a priority over Monroe.

Just no... A borderline top 10-15 ILB never comes before a top 10 LT. That'd be a terrible move to let Joe's great blindside protector go in favor of Smith.
"It was cool."- Joe Flacco"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."- Brian BillickOwner of Thomas Nast's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen who Enjoy Sailboats and Luther Vandross in the 2013 BR.com Franchise Mock<p>

#9 DuDe

DuDe

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

I like him but him and brown are similar I'd prefer a more downhill run stuffer next to brown

Yeah I'd rather have D'Qwell Jackson over Daryl because we need a a run stuffer if we expect Brown to start.

Posted Image
“It was all a dream I used to read word up magazine.” BIGGIE

#10 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,015 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

Just no... A borderline top 10-15 ILB never comes before a top 10 LT. That'd be a terrible move to let Joe's great blindside protector go in favor of Smith.

Not to mention one is 26 and the other is 31.

#11 Poes Crows

Poes Crows

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

Smith was amazing this year, he filled Ray Lewis' spot almost perfect.  I hate to say it but I would think he'd be a priority over Monroe.

Agreed

Ray was a heckuva linebacker in his 31-35 year old period.  Smith is quick and recognizes quicker.

This fan is on the record stating that Smith is much more valuable to the Ravens than Monroe.

Edited by Poes Crows, 01 March 2014 - 02:46 PM.

<p>John Smith of Titanic lore did not board a lifeboat Ozzie. A Captain that has blundered does the honorable thing. He goes down with his ship.

#12 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,684 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Smith was very good but there is no way you can prioritize a MLB in his 30s over a franchise LT.

#13 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

I'm not quite sure about him vs. Monroe, but he's definitely the most important guy on the defense to resign, with Corey Graham coming in second.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#14 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

Daryl Smith came off an injury prone season in his last year at Jax. We was able to get him on the cheap. That's not happening this year especially when Smith can play in a 4-3 or a 3-4 style of defense.

#15 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

He was a solid player for us but not irreplaceable.

#16 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

He was a solid player for us but not irreplaceable.

I understand your point (especially about his value being slightly less than that of Monroe), however I have doubts about how well we can immediately replicate 123 tackles, 5 sacks and 3 INTs. That kind of production (especially all coming from one player) doesn't just show up out of nowhere.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#17 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,198 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

I understand your point (especially about his value being slightly less than that of Monroe), however I have doubts about how well we can immediately replicate 123 tackles, 5 sacks and 3 INTs. That kind of production (especially all coming from one player) doesn't just show up out of nowhere.

I don't know where we'd find a replacement, either.  Arthur Brown is currently our only ILB under contract, and I'm not too impressed with the draft class.  There are some options in FA but I don't see any that would be any cheaper than Daryl.  I think Daryl remains the best option and a good shot to be back once we figure out what we're doing with Monroe.

#18 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

The quality of the tackles count too, he wasn't exactly making stops at in the backfield or POA. Also players don't usually improve on their numbers into their 30s so theres that to consider.

#19 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,864 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

I like Daryl!  He played well for us last year.  But, I'd take Jackson over him as well.

#Mili

@Mili

mili1.png

"We have an opportunity to get to the playoffs.

None of these teams are better than us. Let’s go prove it!”

- John Harbaugh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users