monkeycatt

Free Agent List-who's staying, who's going.

46 posts in this topic

Michael Oher, OT---GONE
Corey Graham, CB---GONE
Tandon Doss, WR---GONE
Jacoby Jones, WR?
Dallas Clark, TE---GONE
Ed Dickson, TE---GONE
Dennis Pitta, TE---STAY
Eugene Monroe, OT---STAY?
Arthur Jones, DE---GONE
Terrence Cody, DT---?
Daryl Smith, LB---STAY?
Corey Graham, CB---GONE
James Ihedigbo, S---GONE
Jeromy Miles, S---GONE
Vonta Leach, FB---GONE
Jameel McClain, LB---GONE

what do you guys think?

i'm really lost on jacoby jones, terence cody and daryl smith....it could really go either way.

Corey Graham is on there twice. I think we keep D. Smith and Jones though.

By the way, what part of Tampa are you in?

Edited by lgcs27288

I think Monroe, Smith, Doss, and Miles (cheap ST depth) stay, and I'm 50/50 on Graham until I see what kind of contract Monroe gets.  I see everyone else walking.

Corey Graham is on there twice. I think we keep D. Smith and Jones though.

and he's GONE twice!  LOL. 

By the way, what part of Tampa are you in?

live in brandon, work in tampa (waters dale mabry area)

I think Monroe, Smith, Doss, and Miles (cheap ST depth) stay, and I'm 50/50 on Graham until I see what kind of contract Monroe gets. I see everyone else walking.

Monroe if he hits the market and the same for Smith if they hit the market both will probably be gone. So by saying that I believe if it happens we will resign Oher and draft the lineman from Michigan. I already believe will will resign McClain to a smaller contract but if Smith leaves than McClain will be signed even sooner. Doss stays and Jones leaves. Draft Matthews in the second. A rb in the third free safety with first comp pick and te with second comp pick. Next cbs and lineman(o or d)

Edited by ravensfan520

Monroe if he hits the market and the same for Smith if they hit the market both will probably be gone. So by saying that I believe if it happens we will resign Oher and draft the lineman from Michigan. I already believe will will resign McClain to a smaller contract but if Smith leaves than McClain will be signed even sooner.

I don't see us letting either of them actually hit the market.  I think Monroe's situation is long term deal or he'll get the tag, and once that's sorted out, we'll hammer down the details with Daryl.  That's juts my opinion, though.

Ah cool, Im in the New Tampa area. Bearrs and Bruce B. Downs.

I think we might bring Cody back if he is out there long enough that we could get him for the minimum. I also hope McClain comes back for lower, probably around the minimum as well. Monroe and Smith are the top priorities right now. Monroe is #1. Either deal or tag for him. Graham could come back for the right price but I don't think it will happen.

Free Agents Lost

Michael Oher, OT

Jacoby Jones, WR

Dallas Clark, TE

Ed Dickson, TE

Vonta Leach, FB

Jameel McClain, LB

I feel like this players will be off the team next year. I'm fairly confident in this list. Oher isn't very good and may not be a good fit here. Jones is a good player but I think we'll want to get younger and cheaper and generate a compensatory pick from him. Dallas Clark may just retire. Dickson just hasn't realized his potential and I think it will be seen as time to part ways--I feel Kubiak will decide his fate. I think Leach is done here. As for McClain, I know there's talk of bringing him back but I feel that's if we don't re-sign Smith, which I believe is highly likely. 

Free Agents Re-Signed

Tandon Doss, WR (First of all, he's an RFA)

Eugene Monroe, OT

Dennis Pitta, TE

Daryl Smith, LB

Jeromy Miles, S

Doss is an RFA, but I believe he'll be the David Reed of 2014--re-signed on the cheap for a prove-it-type deal. I believe Smith will be re-signed at this point. He's probably waiting to see what the market is like and what others get. If he doesn't return then it's likely McClain comes back but I'm not too confident that happens. I know there's a lot of conflict around here regarding Monroe, but I feel like he's coming back. I ultimately chose Miles to be re-signed, but that's because he's younger than James. I wanted to go with James, but I feel like the team will let him go as he offers a very similar role that Elam does but Elam needs the reps. I could see us sign Ihedigbo if we want him more on ST, which is where he is also very good. 

Free Agents In Question

Corey Graham, CB

Arthur Jones, DL

Terrence Cody, DL

James Ihedigbo, S

I'm not sure here. I know many want to throw in the towel on Jones, but I can see him return. It depends on how we feel about Ngata. If we feel Ngata will be fine, then I expect us to let him go but I can't see us let him walk if we're at all worried about Ngata long-term. Cody could be back but I doubt it. I think Graham won't return but I think there's a decent chance it happens so I will put him here. 

Waaay off topic, but I went to Mitchell as well as Dale Mabry Elementary as a kid :)

Jones and Ngata are different players IMO. Jones is the DE who would never play nose except maybe in nickel. Ngata is the huge guy who can play nose or end for us. I am somewhat confident in our ends for this year at least with Canty, Tyson, and KLM. Nose is the position I would question if we take Ngata away since that would leave us with Brandon Williams. I think he is a good player with the potential to hold that position down but we need someone else to push him and provide depth as well as sub in on running situations to help stuff the run. So essentially, I trust Williams to step up but I want some depth there just in case. Also Williams, Ngata, Big DT on running situations would be a stout wall for this year and if we get rid of Ngata, we are still good at nose which is a very important position IMO.

Jones and Ngata are different players IMO. Jones is the DE who would never play nose except maybe in nickel. Ngata is the huge guy who can play nose or end for us. I am somewhat confident in our ends for this year at least with Canty, Tyson, and KLM. Nose is the position I would question if we take Ngata away since that would leave us with Brandon Williams. I think he is a good player with the potential to hold that position down but we need someone else to push him and provide depth as well as sub in on running situations to help stuff the run. So essentially, I trust Williams to step up but I want some depth there just in case. Also Williams, Ngata, Big DT on running situations would be a stout wall for this year and if we get rid of Ngata, we are still good at nose which is a very important position IMO.

Ngata can play either position not just NT. He used to play at DE. Jones could play in the 3-4 or 4-3.

Ngata can play either position not just NT. He used to play at DE. Jones could play in the 3-4 or 4-3.

Yeah I know, I said that in my post. Ngata can play DE or nose while Jones can only play DE IMO unless we are in some passing formation. I like Canty, KLM, and Tyson at DE for this year and maybe in 2015 we address it. If we bought back Jones, nose would still be a bit of an issue possibly and we would need another player to go in running situations for the D-line to be ideal. We could roll Cody, Williams, Ngata on running downs and that is quite a difficult front to run against. Now we need to replace Cody with some size and give Williams some competition at nose long term IMO.

I think we keep corey graham...he might hit the market but shouldn't be too cheap to bring back...although it may come down to him or Daryl Smith as they will be the next tier of our free agents we will push to keep.

Michael Oher, OT---GONE

Corey Graham, CB---GONE

Tandon Doss, WR---GONE

Jacoby Jones, WR?

Dallas Clark, TE---GONE

Ed Dickson, TE---GONE

Dennis Pitta, TE---STAY

Arthur Jones, DE---GONE

Terrence Cody, DT---?

Daryl Smith, LB---STAY?

Corey Graham, CB---GONE

James Ihedigbo, S---GONE

Jeromy Miles, S---GONE

Vonta Leach, FB---GONE

what do you guys think?

i'm really lost on jacoby jones, terence cody and daryl smith....it could really go either way.

How many times do you want to send poor Corey Graham away?? lol!

Of your list, I think Ihedigbo stays, Oher possibly stays if he chooses to be reasonable, Monroe more than likely tests the market and will be out of reach, but I am praying he stays, Daryl Smith I think stays, Art Jones too expensive to keep, Fat Cody stays if he comes real cheap as a back up or he goes, Jacoby is a great returner and deep threat as a third receiver, but may be too expensive to keep, so he goes too. The rest I agree with you...

Edited by ellicottraven

Hoping Art sticks around, he's our best lineman and he hasn't even hit his prime yet. Without him we're gonna struggle bigtime unless somebody REALLY steps up because last season he was the only lineman to make plays in the backfield and put pressure on the QB.

I like Corey Graham. He has good hands and hes not scared to make a tackle against someone bigger than him. I also think he provides position flexibility Cornerback/safety. If it were up to me, I would like Monroe, Graham, and Smith to stay.

I wouldn't mind bringing Clark as depth for vet min.

He was a lot more productive than I thought last season.

Michael Oher, OT---GONE

Corey Graham, CB---GONE

Tandon Doss, WR---GONE

Jacoby Jones, WR?

Dallas Clark, TE---GONE

Ed Dickson, TE---GONE

Dennis Pitta, TE---STAY

Arthur Jones, DE---GONE

Terrence Cody, DT---?

Daryl Smith, LB---STAY?

Corey Graham, CB---GONE

James Ihedigbo, S---GONE

Jeromy Miles, S---GONE

Vonta Leach, FB---GONE

what do you guys think?

I would have no problem getting rid of Cody, who I would say has been sort of a bust for us so far. I think we should make a big push to bring back D. Smith, JJ, and Corey Graham. To me the most important of these three is Smith, and our defense would take a pretty big hit without him, as he was probably our most productive player last year. JJ is very good and we should be able to get him for a bargain price.

I disagree with your preference in releasing Corey Graham. He was a very solid nickel back last year (as evidenced by the fact that he lead our team in INTs with 4) and probably shouldn't cost very much to retain.

Just having endured a major problem with an out of balance Offensive Line, it's hard to take a "must have back" position with anyone that finished the season blocking.

On this list its

Oher and

Monroe

Compounding the confusion are Quasi Football Entities like Pro Football Focus who have somehow come up with a grading for Monroe that is pure fantasy.  Fantasy Football at its finest.  Put the game films in and isolate Monroe and you'll not come away with "We just gotta have him back" opinion.

On the other hand, in this fan's belief, Oher has become undervalued.

Because Oz gave desperately needed draft picks away, the bet here is a big contract for Monroe.

This is getting predictable.

I wouldn't mind bringing Clark as depth for vet min.

He was a lot more productive than I thought last season.

Monroe if he hits the market and the same for Smith if they hit the market both will probably be gone. So by saying that I believe if it happens we will resign Oher and draft the lineman from Michigan. I already believe will will resign McClain to a smaller contract but if Smith leaves than McClain will be signed even sooner. Doss stays and Jones leaves. Draft Matthews in the second. A rb in the third free safety with first comp pick and te with second comp pick. Next cbs and lineman(o or d)

Jake Matthews... No way he makes it back to us in the 2nd round

Can't-catch-a-cold-Ed Dickson better not be back.  Hopefully Pitta gets better and Matt Frustenburg can play a few snaps each game.

Just having endured a major problem with an out of balance Offensive Line, it's hard to take a "must have back" position with anyone that finished the season blocking.

On this list its

Oher and

Monroe

Compounding the confusion are Quasi Football Entities like Pro Football Focus who have somehow come up with a grading for Monroe that is pure fantasy.  Fantasy Football at its finest.  Put the game films in and isolate Monroe and you'll not come away with "We just gotta have him back" opinion.

Because Oz gave desperately needed draft picks away, the bet here is a big contract for Monroe.

Lol!!! I love this guys shtick! Funny stuff.

If we don't tag Monroe hes gone. Don't overpay this guy. I wouldn't even use the tag. Let him test the market.

D Smith is gonna get pretty good dollars from another team.

A team in need of a SS will sign Ihedigbo.

Jacoby Jones probally gone. Somebody is gonna overpay for him.

4 comp picks. Sounds like the norm. Lol.

Would like to see Graham and Art Jones resigned if possible. Gotta keep the D strong especially the line and Jones was our best player imo.

This is the tough part of the offseason because every off season there is one guy that we can not afford to let get away but we end up having too. It is bittersweet though because more often than not Oz finds a replacement with similar production for cheaper, that said this year is a little different. Monroe has already cost us and if he walks a temp solution who was really nothing spectacular just walks out the door and the Jags get the better of the Ravens in the terms of the deal. If he stays and it is a manageable number than we most certainly got a great deal. Another year or so in a system ran by a guy who is actually competent (Kubiak, definitely not Castillo) we should do much better.

The major decision for me if it were me is how much would I spend ? Would I be willing to pay out the butt for one player when I can have Art Jones, Daryl Smith, and Jacoby/Tandon back for the same price ? I mean that is going to be a tough decision to make.  With the bump in cap I have become even more torn. Some people say oh well you definitely have to now because of the cap and I don't see it that way at all. I am thinking get some cheap but serviceable FA's like Fernando Velasco and  test the market for guys like Steve Smith to eliminate NEEDS in the draft. If we can get a C that means FS, WR, and T would be our needs. That sais with the ten mil in cap space we could lock either Torrey or Jimmy this year so that way next year we can evaluate the FA landscape with out having to worry about both.

Jake Matthews... No way he makes it back to us in the 2nd round

You're new around here, but he meant Jordan Matthews.

Edited by BmoreBird22

On this list its

Oher and

Monroe

You really like to make statements that are like the opposite of the truth. 

I watch tape of Monroe and think, "We've got to have him back." (Do you actually "watch film" or just say you do?) If you really did, you'd notice that Monroe plays on an island, without the help of the left guard. It actually allowed the Ravens to shift protection to Gino, who desperately needed it.

What's even more impressive is that didn't he play just a week or two after getting traded? I know he missed the first game, but didn't he suit up for the very next game? That's insane. So, he comes in, learns a new system in a week, works beside a backup left guard and the the worst center in football, but still plays better than anyone else on the offensive line, or on the offense for that matter? Wow, I'm impressed.

But then you want to tell me that Michael Oher is undervalued? The same one who struggles mightily in pass protection because he can't seem to get to the edge fast enough, frequently overextends, and allows significant amounts of pressure? He quite obviously regressed. He gave no push in the running game and was a sieve as a blocker. 

I know PFF isn't the end all be all (I would question many of their grades, and they are just grades, so you should be able to determine your own rankings), they are better than what you're doing. At least they take the time to watch every snap for every single player. That's really impressive in and of itself. 

You just keep on going, buddy because I do enjoy a good laugh.

Edited by BmoreBird22

If we don't tag Monroe hes gone. Don't overpay this guy. I wouldn't even use the tag. Let him test the market.

D Smith is gonna get pretty good dollars from another team.

A team in need of a SS will sign Ihedigbo.

Jacoby Jones probally gone. Somebody is gonna overpay for him.

4 comp picks. Sounds like the norm. Lol.

Would like to see Graham and Art Jones resigned if possible. Gotta keep the D strong especially the line and Jones was our best player imo.

So, you'd rather overpay for the (questionably) best defensive player in Art Jones, but you wouldn't want to "overpay" for the most important position on the offense outside of the quarterback? The Ravens just paid Joe Flacco $120 million dollars. I don't get why people are so willing to let Monroe walk.

Edited by BmoreBird22

For all of the people saying let Monroe test the free agent market and don't overpay him (can you really overpay a franchise left tackle if he's going to be protecting a $120 million dollar investment?), my question to you is this: what's the better option?

Do you want to try for a lesser free agent, like maybe Brandon Albert? Not only does he represent a big step back, he's also very high on himself and going to command a value similar to Monroe. Do you want Jamie Collins? The career backup swing man with limited starting experience who has proven to be serviceable, but far from anything good or great? Can he actually be relied upon as a full time starter? Jared Valdheer won't get out of Oakland.

Oh, let's just draft our franchise tackle at 17. Would be a good idea if all three top ones weren't gone and if rookies weren't a major unknown. How do we know they won't bust? How do we know we won't get another Jared Gaither? Yeah, let's rely on an unknown over an unproven commodity. 

The Ravens are 7 years removed from J.O., and for the first time, they have his replacement (as much as they can). They've gone through, what, four or five tackles in seven years while looking for the replacement, but you want to pass this one up? Good idea, guys.

Edited by BmoreBird22

So, you'd rather overpay for the (questionably) best defensive player in Art Jones, but you wouldn't want to "overpay" for the most important position on the offense outside of the quarterback? The Ravens just paid Joe Flacco $120 million dollars. I don't get why people are so willing to let Monroe walk.

I don't get this either - when we finally inserted McKinnie and got some protection on the left side in the playoffs, that coupled with a few tweaks to the route combinations resulted in the best 4-game passing stretch in Ravens history and a Superbowl title.  We've been a mess on the left side of the line ever since JO retired, have had 4 different guys in 6 years at that spot - Gaither, Oher, McKinnie, and finally Monroe, and basically during that time had zero shot in the draft at almost any current left tackle worth his pay.  For every Jared Veldheer, there's half a dozen tackles like Carimi who flat out busted.  So now that we actually have an opportunity to sign a guy for the next half a decade, people want to let him walk.  There is a price ceiling for Monroe, but it's much higher than most people seem to realize.

Edited by Ravenslifer

I agree with BmoreBird22 and Ravenlifter! You've got to have protection for your investment. The investment doesn't make sense otherwise.

You really like to make statements that are like the opposite of the truth. 

Seems you're intimating that this fan takes a contrarian position.

That's hard to argue with in regard to the recent decisions made by the Raven Front Office. In almost every case the last two years involving the major decisions, the view here is they've departed from sound judgment.  Daryl Smith is the exception. Additionally, the Suggs extension was sound.

There are films of every Raven game and with a DVR and you can fast forward and view them all in an evening. If you count the number of Sacks allowed, sacks attributable, knockdowns and pressures and still hold the view he must be held onto even at Franchise Tag price, that's you're prerogative but it's definitely not shared here.

Don't feel outinfo'd though. The strong belief here is that Oz is going to feel just like you do.  But this fan is on record cawing to the big raven in the sky that this is crazy stuff going on again.

Edited by Poes Crows

We Keep Doss. I liked him in his limited time after he was resigned. Also the potential is still there and he is still young. Besides if anything he is a solid return man.

I like Corey Graham. He has good hands and hes not scared to make a tackle against someone bigger than him. I also think he provides position flexibility Cornerback/safety. If it were up to me, I would like Monroe, Graham, and Smith to stay.

I certainly agree!

I don't want us to overpay for Art. We already overpaid Pitta hopefully we don't do it again.

I watch tape of Monroe and think, "We've got to have him back." (Do you actually "watch film" or just say you do?) If you really did, you'd notice that Monroe plays on an island, without the help of the left guard. It actually allowed the Ravens to shift protection to Gino, who desperately needed it.

Exactly. Monroe is a sound technician who can take on the opposite teams best pass rusher and hold his own. He's in his prime and he passes the eye test, the dude is a physical specimen for a offensive lineman. Factor in getting Kelechi back next to him and we will see drastic improvement on our line. Monroe is crucial for this team to sign, it's not even debatable. 

If JJ leaves (and I hope he doesn't), his time in Baltimore will be the most prolific 2 year stay that anyone has had here since Shannon Sharpe.

Can't-catch-a-cold-Ed Dickson better not be back.  Hopefully Pitta gets better and Matt Frustenburg can play a few snaps each game.

Feel like Dickson had more drops this year than catches hah...I would say keep him if he was a blocking TE maybe, but a receiving TE that cant catch shouldnt stay for sure

I'd love to get Monroe to sign. He may just want to test the market to see his worth. If we lose Monroe we may have to trade back in the draft to acquire more picks. We would need at least 2 linemen both OT's. For a worst case scenario we could sign Oher back for a 1 year deal to play LT for us while we hope he plays good enough for another team to sign him as a free agent. We definitely need 2 tackles even if Wagner can play RT we need a capable back up. We need another guard just in case Osemele can't return to form and a Vet C to help Gradkowski. Birk said it took him 4 years to become a starter so maybe if we can get Goodwin as a stop gap Center to help Gradkowski through the learning curve. For Joe to look good he'll need some time. I hope we get Monroe signed before FA hits or Ozzie will need some magic to work in fixing the line with 4 ? out of the 5 starters with Yanda being the only known commodity.

Feel like Dickson had more drops this year than catches hah...I would say keep him if he was a blocking TE maybe, but a receiving TE that cant catch shouldnt stay for sure

"If the price is right", as they say, I would take him back.  To me that is slightly above the vet minimum.  I won't say he's totally worthless, he made some clutch catches and he's a big guy, but not a starter.