27 replies to this topic

#1 BBoogieMan

BBoogieMan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

With Sizzle's last season's 2nd half disappearance, Doom in his prime but his lack of height and holding the edge in run def not his strength. Upshaw's better vs the run than his pass rush skills...what we have in Simon, Adrian Hamilton, and Lewis-Moore is an unknown. Should the Ravens consider adding another OLB via the draft or FA? We have a dominant, reliable consistent QB harasser or just other holes to fill with so few draft picks and lack of salary cap space?

#2 Ravens1991

Ravens1991

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

I would rather have a guy to replace Jones pass rushing ability from the nickel at 34 DE. THat is what I think we will miss. I am hoping Simon emerges as a pass rushing OLB he is a guy the fans will love.

#3 MoveThoseChains

MoveThoseChains

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

I just saw that the Dolphins Dion Jordan is on the trading block. I wonder if Ozzie would be interested in giving up this years second round pick for him? Don't vote this red because I'm not saying it will happen or that I even agree that it should happen, it's just a thought that popped into my head seeing how he has tremendous athletic upside. 

#4 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

I don't think so unless there is real value there aka Barr or Mack falls. Suggs will be good and Doom should still produce. Upshaw is our run guy but he has not been tested and neither has Simon or Hamilton. McPhee is also a good pass rusher so I am not really concerned about it coming off the edge. Maybe we get a D-lineman who can rush the passer or a ILB but OLB is too deep for me unless the value is that good.

In Ozzie we Trust

Dallas Cowboys GM

General  Manager/Owner of the

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Puffins

#5 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

I think Upshaw has reached his ceiling and McPhee's injuries have slowed him down, long term I think Simon becomes our guy

#6 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:31 PM

We have Suggs and Dumervill...whats not to like?

Edited by Purple_ICE 81, 28 February 2014 - 07:31 PM.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#7 Hey Diddle

Hey Diddle

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

I think we just need to be more aggressive an blitz more, with Arthur Brown up the middle, then Suggs/Doom could really get it going!

#8 Seseau

Seseau

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:35 AM

I think we just need to be more aggressive an blitz more, with Arthur Brown up the middle, then Suggs/Doom could really get it going!

One thing I love about the Ravens in watching them play on Defense.

I would like the play calling to be more aggressive. I feel that we set the edge good on passing plays but we lack penetration up the middle. I saw so many plays where Suggs/Doom had a sack only for the QB to just move forward and was able to complete a pass or throw the ball away.

#9 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:41 AM

How can you not love having Suggs & Doom rushing the passer? The issue I see is that we don't have anybody to create some inside pass rush. You can't just rely on your OLB's to rush from the outside, you need 1-2 guys to create pass rush from the inside and we don't have that (with Art likely being gone now). Art would be that guy next season to constantly create havoc inside and get after the QB, make plays in the backfield. Who's gonna do that now? I don't see that guy on our roster. Maybe we'll bring in a rookie to do that, I see some really interesting pass rushing DE/DT tweener out there in the draft. We can't just rely on the linebackers to get after the QB.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#10 DuDe

DuDe

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

If Stephon Tuitt somehow falls to us in the secound round that would be the best case scenario because he is going to be a stud and he will start year one and cover for Arthur Jones

Posted Image
“It was all a dream I used to read word up magazine.” BIGGIE

#11 BBoogieMan

BBoogieMan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

But, that's how we get killed in the middle of the field....which has been a weakness for years of Ravens defenses. When blitzes don't reach home, we're torched in the short-intermediate middle.

#12 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

But, that's how we get killed in the middle of the field....which has been a weakness for years of Ravens defenses. When blitzes don't reach home, we're torched in the short-intermediate middle.

That's most teams.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 01 March 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#13 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

Our pass rush was great last season. We really got after some teams in a big way. The main problem was consistent 3 and outs from the offense every game. Defense would start out hot but then get tired because they were on the field WAY too much. 

Under Kubiak, this will change. I've seen the Texans just dominate time of possession on offense. This is what we will be striving for, and if successful, our defense will be top 5. 

#14 kassaiscool

kassaiscool

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

One thing I hope the Ravens do is draft an athletic pass rusher in the future. We have guys who are more stocky, rather than in the mold of Demarcus Ware. The Ravens have a prototype at outside linebacker, and that is bigger guys who can stop the run first and then get after the passer. I would like to see us get someone who is known just for rushing the passer.

#15 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,563 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

One thing I hope the Ravens do is draft an athletic pass rusher in the future. We have guys who are more stocky, rather than in the mold of Demarcus Ware. The Ravens have a prototype at outside linebacker, and that is bigger guys who can stop the run first and then get after the passer. I would like to see us get someone who is known just for rushing the passer.

Suggs and Dumervil aren't know for rushing the passer...?

#16 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

Dumervil?

In Ozzie we Trust

Dallas Cowboys GM

General  Manager/Owner of the

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Puffins

#17 kassaiscool

kassaiscool

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

Suggs and Dumervil aren't know for rushing the passer...?

I'm talking about someone who is really athletic. Suggs and Dumervill are great pass rushers, but I'm talking about someone who isn't built like them. Suggs and Dumervil use bull rushes a lot because of their body types. I was looking for someone who can just beat you with speed around the edge.

#18 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,563 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

I'm talking about someone who is really athletic. Suggs and Dumervill are great pass rushers, but I'm talking about someone who isn't built like them. Suggs and Dumervil use bull rushes a lot because of their body types. I was looking for someone who can just beat you with speed around the edge.

1. Why? Why does that matter? It doesn't.

2. Those types of players rarely last. One trick pony pass rushers rarely have consistent success, especially those that rely on a speed rush.

#19 kassaiscool

kassaiscool

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

1. Why? Why does that matter? It doesn't.

2. Those types of players rarely last. One trick pony pass rushers rarely have consistent success, especially those that rely on a speed rush.

Osi Umenyiora, Robert Mathis, and Cameron Wake to name a few. It would bring something different to our pass rush as well. Another thing teams have to game plan for.

Edited by kassaiscool, 01 March 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#20 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

arthurt brown is lethal on the delayed blitz up the middle. so much explosion and closing speed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users