Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EnVy_CaLiBeR

Ravens releasing Jameel McClain and Vonta Leach

64 posts in this topic

Sad but expected. Love the leadership and hard-nose play both of them bring/brought.

Agreed. Very sad but that's business.

Sounds like McClain could be back at a reduced price, but Leach is most likely gone for good.

VontaLeach44 @vleach44 2 mins

Thanks for the memories #Ravenation http://twitpic.com/dwu58c  http://twitpic.com/dwu58h

WNST @WNST 3 mins

Ryan: Jameel McClain said the news is fresh to him, but he said the team wants him back. Said "the story's not finished."

Considering the timing, I would expect this move is to free up money for Monroe or Pitta before they hit the open market.

In some games last year Leach was only used in a couple of snaps, so it doesn't make sense to keep him.

so they have 25 million in cap with this move as of now.

You sure it's not $27 million? John Clayton said the cap should be at least $132 million, if not more (could get up to, but will not exceed $135).

You sure it's not $27 million? John Clayton said the cap should be at least $132 million, if not more (could get up to, but will not exceed $135).

well i wasn't adding the extra yet but yeah its up there but right now where at 25 million in cap.

also update on Pitta and Monroe!

Aaron Wilson RavensInsider 3 hrs

Ravens in active talks with Eugene Monroe and Dennis Pitta. No deals imminent. Have work to do on both to get something done, per sources

It's a good move, I feel bad for Vonta though. This is the second time in two years we have cut him, and he really is a great player, but was just not being used enough for the price tag. Also a shame, we could not reunite him with Kubiak as I feel he would have been excited for. 

Ravens are currently at $106.4M on the cap with these moves.  We can't really project cap space as no one know what the cap is, but it's at least ~$20M or so based on the low number of $126.3M.

well i wasn't adding the extra yet but yeah its up there but right now where at 25 million in cap.

also update on Pitta and Monroe!

Aaron WilsonRavensInsider 3 hrs

Ravens in active talks with Eugene Monroe and Dennis Pitta. No deals imminent. Have work to do on both to get something done, per sources

Imagine if it did hit $135 million. Could you imagine Ozzie with $30 million in cap space to play with?

I do wonder what number we're looking to pay McClain since we want him back.  I'd be more than happy to give him the vet minimum.  I respect the guy a ton for working hard and coming back from a severe injury, but I'm not sure his value is much more than the minimum.

Imagine if it did hit $135 million. Could you imagine Ozzie with $30 million in cap space to play with?

The Market would be a lot higher.  Usually ozzie just lets everyone else waste their money and plunges in.  With this type of market players will get their value.

It's a good move, I feel bad for Vonta though. This is the second time in two years we have cut him, and he really is a great player, but was just not being used enough for the price tag. Also a shame, we could not reunite him with Kubiak as I feel he would have been excited for. 

Don't feel bad for him he collected his money and did next to nothing. I am glad we finally got rid of him.

I wish Jameel gets another chance somewhere else.   He had a really promising start @2011  and things just didn't pan out like we expected.   

Yeah but the only reason we have cut him twice is because when we did cut him last year, there was no market for him. He had no choice but to re-sign with us. I can actually see us re-signing him later on the down again because I expect no market for him this year either.

Guess we are going to go for the trifecta and get Smith, Monroe and Pitta done and keep all three which may be plausible with how much the cap may be now.

I wish Jameel gets another chance somewhere else.   He had a really promising start @2011  and things just didn't pan out like we expected.   

I would like to keep Jameel but we got Art and there really isn't any playing time if we end up re-signing Smith. 

Don't feel bad for him he collected his money and did next to nothing. I am glad we finally got rid of him.

I don't think he had a whole lot of value last year to the team, as we barely used him. So I agree, but still, Vota is a hard player, a good leader, and seems like a good guy to have on your team. I won't be glad to see him gone, but agree with the decision.

Yeah but the only reason we have cut him twice is because when we did cut him last year, there was no market for him. He had no choice but to re-sign with us. I can actually see us re-signing him later on the down again because I expect no market for him this year either.

Guess we are going to go for the trifecta and get Smith, Monroe and Pitta done and keep all three which may be plausible with how much the cap may be now.

That's a freaking dream if we landed Smith, Monroe, and Pitta and had a little cash left over. However, I don't see us re signing him again. In reality we probably didn't need him last year, and he took up an active roster spot. I love Leach for how he plays the game, but there was no real need to have 2 FB's on the roster last year, and especially now.