38 replies to this topic

#1 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

There's a possibility that the cap may exceed $132 million this year (I love that it keeps going up). 

With that in mind, Ozzie Newsome did the unthinkable when he said he would actually consider going for an unrestricted free agent. John Eisenberg named Alex Mack, Hakeem Nicks, and Jarius Byrd as three possible targets.

Of the three, I would want Alex Mack. I know that a safety is hard to come by in this draft, but you will never find a rookie center as good as Alex Mack.

Personally, I'd also like to see the Ravens make a play on James Jones, too. He will not command a heavy contract and it could be a short deal. He does have experience inside or out and would provide a veteran to what ever rookie receiver we draft. 

With the expected cap going up and up and the recent news that the Ravens may target an UFA, who would you target?

Edited by BmoreBird22, 25 February 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#2 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:09 PM

Alex Mack would be pretty perfect honestly.  Mack may want to be on a winner.  I feel like Byrd wants the payday.  

But the biggest priority is Monroe.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#3 ihoxhaj3

ihoxhaj3

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Eugene Monroe, Dennis Pitta, Alex Mack, Daryl Smith, Corey Graham, Jacoby Jones in that order is how I would attack free agency and allocate money. 

I would actually lock up jimmy smith and torrey smith before I added jacoby too.

#4 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,779 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

Before cuts, we're at roughly $21.7M in cap space assuming a salary cap of $132M.  That number will likely diminish pretty quickly.  Assume $2-3M for ERFA's, $0-3M roughly for RFA's (depending on if they're tendered, of course), and however much for draft picks, and that number diminishes pretty quickly.  Add in that we're likely going to franchise one of Pitta or Monroe, and we're not left with much.  McClain, Leach, and/or Koch cuts will help, but I don't see it taking us to the point of being able to afford a top tier guy.  I think we'll use this extra money to keep our own.  After Pitta and Monroe, I'd assume that the Ravens will prioritize bringing Smith and Graham back before they drop down a big contract on a UFA.

Edited by rmw10, 25 February 2014 - 05:15 PM.

#5 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Before cuts, we're at roughly $21.7M in cap space assuming a salary cap of $132M.  That number will likely diminish pretty quickly.  Assume $2-3M for ERFA's, $0-3M roughly for RFA's (depending on if they're tendered, of course), and however much for draft picks, and that number diminishes pretty quickly.  Add in that we're likely going to franchise one of Pitta or Monroe, and we're not left with much.  McClain, Leach, and/or Koch cuts will help, but I don't see it taking us to the point of being able to afford a top tier guy.  I think we'll use this extra money to keep our own.  After Pitta and Monroe, I'd assume that the Ravens will prioritize bringing Smith and Graham back before they drop down a big contract on a UFA.

Apparently it's supposed to go up another couple million, maybe around $134, $135.
Let's keep with the $132, though. The average draft class is $5 million, right? With three missing picks, let's assume $4 million. After tenders and draft let's assume $13 million or so. Likely cuts of Koch, McClain, and Leach would out it back up close to $18, $19. That's a really good amount to try to land at least one of Mack or Nicks, especially since centers aren't massively paid (if we assume elite LT's make around $9, a center has to be like $6ish) and Nicks injury will drop his price. I think we can make a run at one

#6 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,779 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

Apparently it's supposed to go up another couple million, maybe around $134, $135.
Let's keep with the $132, though. The average draft class is $5 million, right? With three missing picks, let's assume $4 million. After tenders and draft let's assume $13 million or so. Likely cuts of Koch, McClain, and Leach would out it back up close to $18, $19. That's a really good amount to try to land at least one of Mack or Nicks, especially since centers aren't massively paid (if we assume elite LT's make around $9, a center has to be like $6ish) and Nicks injury will drop his price. I think we can make a run at one

It sounds like a lot, but remember that we're most likely going to end up tagging one of Monroe or Pitta by the looks of things right now.  That eats $7-11M of that space already.  It doesn't leave us much to work with, and we have multiple needs.  I just don't see us investing a big contract into one player.  It's possible that we do with the increased cap.  I don't view it as likely, though.  It really depends on value.  I'm not sure where someone like Nicks is due to injury, but I think Mack and Byrd are going to be out of the range that we're willing to pay.

#7 Ravenskid52752

Ravenskid52752

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

yeah I heard nicks in not looking for that much 3 to 4 million a year rather than decker who is looking for 9 million a year. also I heard that to the cap might go up even more to 135 which would be a 9.75 % increase  from last year.

#8 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

It sounds like a lot, but remember that we're most likely going to end up tagging one of Monroe or Pitta by the looks of things right now.  That eats $7-11M of that space already.  It doesn't leave us much to work with, and we have multiple needs.  I just don't see us investing a big contract into one player.  It's possible that we do with the increased cap.  I don't view it as likely, though.  It really depends on value.  I'm not sure where someone like Nicks is due to injury, but I think Mack and Byrd are going to be out of the range that we're willing to pay.

For the life of me I hope they do not franchise Pitta. He is not a top 5 tight end and Kubiak did great things with James Casey, Garrett Graham, and Owen Daniels. Maybe that means Pitta could do amazing things, but it also means he's expendable.
I have heard no rumors about Monroe being tagged, but if he is, that would change this question entirely. Let's assume they lock him up long term since we have heard nothing of the tag.
I think that yes, there are holes, but priority one should be protecting your $120 million dollar investment who showed he can ball out and carry the team with good protection. Tom Brady has always carried his team without an elite defense because the Patriots have bought him protection. If I'm the Ravens, Mack is priority number 2 to me

#9 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

yeah I heard nicks in not looking for that much 3 to 4 million a year rather than decker who is looking for 9 million a year. also I heard that to the cap might go up even more to 135 which would be a 9.75 % increase  from last year.

Way lower than I thought for Nicks. Any details on the length he's seeking?
An increase like this was overdue, so this is awesome

#10 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,779 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

For the life of me I hope they do not franchise Pitta. He is not a top 5 tight end and Kubiak did great things with James Casey, Garrett Graham, and Owen Daniels. Maybe that means Pitta could do amazing things, but it also means he's expendable.
I have heard no rumors about Monroe being tagged, but if he is, that would change this question entirely. Let's assume they lock him up long term since we have heard nothing of the tag.
I think that yes, there are holes, but priority one should be protecting your $120 million dollar investment who showed he can ball out and carry the team with good protection. Tom Brady has always carried his team without an elite defense because the Patriots have bought him protection. If I'm the Ravens, Mack is priority number 2 to me

It's not ideal, but if we want to keep these guys, it's something that likely has to be done.  Monroe hasn't really been considered for the tag because of how much it would cost and how little it would leave us under the $126.3M projected cap.  If the cap raises to what they're saying now, he enters the conversation for the tag.  I find it highly unlikely that we get both Monroe and Pitta extended before March 3, and to ensure that they both stay, one is likely going to get the tag.

As much as I like Mack, I don't see us dropping that much on 1 player.  I see it much more likely that we would use that type of money to sign someone like de la Puente and add in a FS or WR as well.  You can protect Joe without dropping a ton of money into 1 player.

#11 Ravenskid52752

Ravenskid52752

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

Way lower than I thought for Nicks. Any details on the length he's seeking?
An increase like this was overdue, so this is awesome

some  reports are that he is looking for a prove it type deal in a one year or 2 year deal to prove his worth so probably a long term deal for him would be 4years 16-18 million that range. so we can get him. but a guy i like is james jones he will be 30 so he won't break bank and deal for him could be 4 -15 million so either one would be great. also from carroll times report the ravens are looking for 2 types of WR a big guy that can go up  and get it and a wes welker type guy. and if you see the guys they met with at the SR bowl and combine they fit that mold.

Edited by Ravenskid52752, 25 February 2014 - 06:17 PM.

#12 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

It's not ideal, but if we want to keep these guys, it's something that likely has to be done.  Monroe hasn't really been considered for the tag because of how much it would cost and how little it would leave us under the $126.3M projected cap.  If the cap raises to what they're saying now, he enters the conversation for the tag.  I find it highly unlikely that we get both Monroe and Pitta extended before March 3, and to ensure that they both stay, one is likely going to get the tag.

As much as I like Mack, I don't see us dropping that much on 1 player.  I see it much more likely that we would use that type of money to sign someone like de la Puente and add in a FS or WR as well.  You can protect Joe without dropping a ton of money into 1 player.

Aaron Wilson had confirmed a cap of $130 million and John Clayton said the cap would be even higher. I'm inclined to believe those two.
I think it's entirely possible that we get both of them locked up long term. I'd worry more about failing to sign Pitta since we haven't heard bad news about Monroe. No news could be good news (apparently the Ravens could be close to re signing Daryl). And if we don't sign Pitta, let the market dictate hos value. Don't break the bank for him by using the tag. I'd rather not have him than do that.
As far as Mack and Brian go, they're similar skill and will be a similar price, so I would rather go all in on the one I, and most people, perceive as better in Mack

#13 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

some  reports are that he is looking for a prove it type deal in a one year or 2 year deal to prove his worth so probably a long term deal for him would be 4years 16-18 million that range. so we can get him. but a guy i like is james jones he will be 30 so he won't break bank and deal for him could be 4 -15 million so either one would be great. also from carroll times report the ravens are looking for 2 types of WR a big guy that can go up  and get it and a wes welker type guy. and if you see the guys they met with at the SR bowl and combine they fit that mold.

That news on Nicks excites me. If he's healthy, he can be a number one receiver and really take over. I'd try to get him on the cheap for long term so it wouldn't cost us a lot in the long term. That'd be awesome to get him for that price range

#14 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,779 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

Aaron Wilson had confirmed a cap of $130 million and John Clayton said the cap would be even higher. I'm inclined to believe those two.
I think it's entirely possible that we get both of them locked up long term. I'd worry more about failing to sign Pitta since we haven't heard bad news about Monroe. No news could be good news (apparently the Ravens could be close to re signing Daryl). And if we don't sign Pitta, let the market dictate hos value. Don't break the bank for him by using the tag. I'd rather not have him than do that.
As far as Mack and Brian go, they're similar skill and will be a similar price, so I would rather go all in on the one I, and most people, perceive as better in Mack

But if we do lock them both up, it's not going to be before March 3.  Even if the franchise tag is just temporary until a deal can be reached, I fully expect one of them to get it.  Whether or not we agree with the decision to franchise one of them ins't the point.  It's most likely going to happen.

I completely disagree that Mack and BDLP are similar players.  Mack is far superior and will get a much larger contract than BDLP.  Mack is certainly better, but he's just not someone I see us dropping a ton of money on when someone like BDLP can be had for cheaper with an additional FA thrown in.  Mack is a pipe dream.  It's not going to happen.

#15 Ravenskid52752

Ravenskid52752

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

That news on Nicks excites me. If he's healthy, he can be a number one receiver and really take over. I'd try to get him on the cheap for long term so it wouldn't cost us a lot in the long term. That'd be awesome to get him for that price range

but thing is he know he didn't produce this year which is why he lowered his value as a WR so he's out to prove he can stay health and be that number one guy. also don't have to worry about giants retaining him they say its ZERO chance he comes back . so he will be on the market see him and torrey togother would be madden in real life.lol

Edited by Ravenskid52752, 25 February 2014 - 06:30 PM.

#16 LEGEN-wait for it-DARY

LEGEN-wait for it-DARY

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

Not including our own FAs, Julian Edelman, LaGarrette Blount, Brian De La Puente, Zach Strief, Captain Munnerlyn, and Michael Mitchell.

#17 I-70WestRaven

I-70WestRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

The cap increase was a blessing for us. I don't know what the FO's thinking is going forward but it sure is nice knowing Ozzie's on the job! In Ozzie we trust!!
The Baltimore Ravens! 'Nuff said!!

#18 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

But if we do lock them both up, it's not going to be before March 3.  Even if the franchise tag is just temporary until a deal can be reached, I fully expect one of them to get it.  Whether or not we agree with the decision to franchise one of them ins't the point.  It's most likely going to happen.

I completely disagree that Mack and BDLP are similar players.  Mack is far superior and will get a much larger contract than BDLP.  Mack is certainly better, but he's just not someone I see us dropping a ton of money on when someone like BDLP can be had for cheaper with an additional FA thrown in.  Mack is a pipe dream.  It's not going to happen.

I wouldn't say probably. I'm fairly optimistic regarding Monroe. I haven't seen actual sources in article, but I saw a tweet earlier saying that Daryl may be locked up in the next day or two. That gives me hope that the Monroe deal is going well. I think if one is more likely to get tagged, it would be Monroe, but hopefully we don't have to go that route. Regarding Pitta, I don't think the organization is going to break the bank on the tag. He's going to be 29, he's not a top five tight end for sure, and if he challenges for the receiver designation (even if a hybrid is settled on) that's just overpaying him even more. I don't think Pitta will he franchised just because players like Graham, Casey, and Daniels succeeded with Kubiak and it's not unreasonable to think Juice could play a decent sized role and that maybe Graham comes here. Let's also not rule out the draft because of some talented tight ends. Hell, I think even Ed Dickson could be serviceable in Kubiak's system. If one is going to be tagged, my money would be on Monroe, but I'm even iffy on that.

You're making it seem like BDLP is just some scrub, which he isn't. He's a good center. If Alex Mack is tier one, I'd put BDLP in tier two at the worst. He's not as consistent as Mack, but he is pretty solid. I also wouldn't rule anything out of the picture. How do we know that Mack isn't going to want to join a stable organization that has a history of winning? He's been with a cellar dweller for his entire career and he may want to move on and taste the playoffs. Did you picture us getting Elvis Dumervil after he got cut?

#19 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

but thing is he know he didn't produce this year which is why he lowered his value as a WR so he's out to prove he can stay health and be that number one guy. also don't have to worry about giants retaining him they say its ZERO chance he comes back . so he will be on the market see him and torrey togother would be madden in real life.lol

That's the tough thing: would he take a long term deal? It's tough to say. Maybe Ozzie can entice him with some serious incentives

#20 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

I think a veteran center is way more important than a WR right now, for us. We need someone who can stabilize that line. As far as Pitta goes. if they cannot reach a deal I think he will find the market less welcoming then his agent thinks it will be. He is a good TE, but hardly great one, and there is the injury and his age.

It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users