RichieAsh

Here's what we can expect from Gary Kubiak's play action calls

33 posts in this topic

While I'm excited about Kubiak's play calling, we still need a running game to setup the play action.

you need a running game and more importantly a line that can block on those plays lol.

you will need some time for the routes to develop and the defense needs to bite on it being a run.

you need a running game and more importantly a line that can block on those plays lol.

you will need some time for the routes to develop and the defense needs to bite on it being a run.

Precisely. Which is why my excitement has tempered a bit, until I am confident that the OL has improved

Precisely. Which is why my excitement has tempered a bit, until I am confident that the OL has improved

Exactly!  I'm not believing or buying into the hype at this point either!  Last seasons pathetic showing by our offense really pissed me off and has caused me to become more cynical about them UNTIL I clearly see the improvements that the coaches keep "talking" about making!  To hell with hearing about how good this or that is in Mini Camp, OTA's, or the Preseason.  I want to see this stuff working in the regular season.  UNTIL then.  Shhh!!  LOL!

#Mili

Edited by Militant X 1

Thanks for stating the obvious. lol. What I like is the play design and using the TE in much different ways than we ever have. 

One thing establishing the run combined with the PA can do is sort of mask the weakness of pass blocking by your O-lineman.

One thing establishing the run combined with the PA can do is sort of mask the weakness of pass blocking by your O-lineman.

Only if Joe can continue improving his ability to extend plays and make some more accurate throws on the move and off his back foot

Exactly!  I'm not believing or buying into the hype at this point either!  Last seasons pathetic showing by our offense really pissed me off and has caused me to become more cynical about them UNTIL I clearly see the improvements that the coaches keep "talking" about making!  To hell with hearing about how good this or that is in Mini Camp, OTA's, or the Preseason.  I want to see this stuff working in the regular season.  UNTIL then.  Shhh!!  LOL!

#Mili

LOL, agreed man. If Harbs were on this forum, he would quickly be labeled an apologist...talk is cheap!

But, I do believe that the shake up with the coaching staff was a great step in the right direction

Exactly! I'm not believing or buying into the hype at this point either! Last seasons pathetic showing by our offense really pissed me off and has caused me to become more cynical about them UNTIL I clearly see the improvements that the coaches keep "talking" about making! To hell with hearing about how good this or that is in Mini Camp, OTA's, or the Preseason. I want to see this stuff working in the regular season. UNTIL then. Shhh!! LOL!

Its funny cause in 12 I feel like they mentioned how the offense was doing so well against the defense in training camp and we saw how the defense played that year. Then last season we hear how the defense is winning in camp and the offense was atrocious. I don't even know what to think if they say they're neck and neck this off season. I'm waiting til week 3 of the regular season before I make any real judgments considering they usually play well week 1 and mess the bed the next week. Gotta see how the line holds up. If it's a continuation of last year, Juan better be gone by week 6.

#Mili

Its funny cause in 12 I feel like they mentioned how the offense was doing so well against the defense in training camp and we saw how the defense played that year. Then last season we hear how the defense is winning in camp and the offense was atrocious. I don't even know what to think if they say they're neck and neck this off season. I'm waiting til week 3 of the regular season before I make any real judgments considering they usually play well week 1 and mess the bed the next week. Gotta see how the line holds up. If it's a continuation of last year, Juan better be gone by week 6.

I've said the same thing!  That by week 3 of the regular season I would be able to really see what we're working with offensively.

#Mili

Love it. Those are well designed plays that just look nice. Flacco will be deadly in it. Also 3 of those beauties were to the TE. We may need Pitta.

We will have an Improved O-Line scheme. I remember one night on total access Sean O'Hara said he never saw so much confusion, missed assignments, and fewer lanes from an offensive line in a very long time. That really summed it up to say the least. This will change under the new crew.

We will have a better running game, there is no doubt. I expect Vonta to stay and be a big part of it. Plus I saw a lot of RB's who will go in later rounds/undrafted who could come in here and challenge for playing time. We will find some fresh legs to tote the rock for Kubiak. I'm also excited to see if Pierce will have improved over the offseason. 

Edited by TDubbs

Watching how Owen Daniels was used, and now I really really want Pitta to be re-signed. I feel like Pitta and Marlon Brown can be a similar type of threat to Daniels and Andre. (Notice I said similar)

As if it wasn't obvious already, I think this really shows why Kubiak was drooling over Pitta in his presser. 

The OLine is gonna be the key. With them being pulled in several directions last year(imo) they're now gonna have to get used to a certain scheme and buy in. No threat of run. No playaction pass.

LOL, agreed man. If Harbs were on this forum, he would quickly be labeled an apologist...talk is cheap!

But, I do believe that the shake up with the coaching staff was a great step in the right direction

Absolutely, the offense needed an overhaul. The SB run was great, but, in general, over the past few years it has been the same boring offense. Only Ray Rice and Q made it interesting but only now and then.

If the Oline still looks confused in year 2 of Castillo ( since he was really the coach last season behind the scenes ) then he must go before another season is wasted.

I would like to know what Gradkowski is doing this offseason to improve. I wonder if him being driven into the back field so often was because of poor technique, lack of strength ( weak base and no drive ), or lack of confidence overall.

Definitely can't expect to have an improved offense if Yanda has to constantly tap him on to snap the ball.

Definitely can't expect to have an improved offense if Yanda has to constantly tap him on to snap the ball.

That's the last thing I'm worried about with the line - a lot of teams to that in the shot gun. It allows the center to read the defense instead of watching the QB for when he's ready to take the snap.

That's the last thing I'm worried about with the line - a lot of teams to that in the shot gun. It allows the center to read the defense instead of watching the QB for when he's ready to take the snap.

Thanks for pointing that out. There are a lot of teams that do that trick. 

You are correct a lot of teams do that in the shotgun. However teams also tend to disguise this. It might be a tap, wait a hundredth of a second then snap, or tap then final cadence from the QB, delayed snap. It literally was always tap snap. Run or pass tap snap. In New England game they even did this under center as if the crowd was that loud.

It's not the typical silent count, lift a knee once or twice then tap and snap.

It would allow a normal center to read a defense, however Grad wasn't too good at that this season either which is why Yanda constantly over helped him. And delayed blitzes snuck by at times.

sign Alex Mack as FA center and resign Monroe, Osemele, Mack, Yanda, Wagner is a very good line and should keep Joe upright. As long as Osemele is healthy he should be able to play that position if not hopefully Jensen can do it.

#Mili

I've said the same thing!  That by week 3 of the regular season I would be able to really see what we're working with offensively.

#Mili

I don't even want to wait till week 3. At the same time, I'm not saying we should score 50 points in the first quarter of our first 2 pre-season games, and and first 2 games of the regular season.

What I'm saying is, in last year's preseason, we saw/got glimpses of our bad blocking, Joe's struggles (which was excused as being "just pre-season" - which carried it onto the entire regular season), our defense giving up big plays etc. All of those were consistent and were apparent in the preseason

So what I want to see by pre-season, is at least some sort of consistency and ability to roll with the offense. I just want to see competency and not *facepalm* offense that we've become used to*.

Not shooting for "ZOMG FANTASY FOOTBALL Stats" - but just a semblance of 'watchability'. 

I believe all Ravens fans will (or should) know exactly what I'm alluding to.

*save for the magical post-season run of 2012.

#Mili

I totally agree with you on this one. If we are still having ???'s with our Oline going into the preseason like we did last year, we are gonna get creamed(or better yet Flacco) everytime they try for the playaction. Rice/Pierce, and who ever will be #3 will need to be able to stick their foot in the ground and head north fast in Kubiaks system and the line will need to be able to create the lanes needed for them to be effective. If not, we're looking at another 8-8 season.................................or worse.

I don't even want to wait till week 3. At the same time, I'm not saying we should score 50 points in the first quarter of our first 2 pre-season games, and and first 2 games of the regular season.

What I'm saying is, in last year's preseason, we saw/got glimpses of our bad blocking, Joe's struggles (which was excused as being "just pre-season" - which carried it onto the entire regular season), our defense giving up big plays etc. All of those were consistent and were apparent in the preseason

So what I want to see by pre-season, is at least some sort of consistency and ability to roll with the offense. I just want to see competency and not *facepalm* offense that we've become used to*.

Not shooting for "ZOMG FANTASY FOOTBALL Stats" - but just a semblance of 'watchability'. 

I believe all Ravens fans will (or should) know exactly what I'm alluding to.

*save for the magical post-season run of 2012.

I know this!  That is what I'm speaking of as well brah!  Mini Camps, OTA's and the Preseason don't mean squat to me at this point!  I couldn't careless how "good" someone is looking or that the O-line is "supposedly" looking better or our WR's are finally getting "separation".  UNTIL I see all of that for myself on the damn field clicking in the first 3 regular season games and that type of gameplay is consistent for 3 weeks....Shhhhhhhh!  I don't want to hear it!  Smh!

I totally agree with you on this one. If we are still having ???'s with our Oline going into the preseason like we did last year, we are gonna get creamed(or better yet Flacco) everytime they try for the playaction. Rice/Pierce, and who ever will be #3 will need to be able to stick their foot in the ground and head north fast in Kubiaks system and the line will need to be able to create the lanes needed for them to be effective. If not, we're looking at another 8-8 season.................................or worse.

Yep!  We saw this b.s. and piss poor gameplay during the preseason and cats chalked it up as it being just that...the preseason.  Well, like admartian said above; we saw it all through the entire season!  Smh!  Like I said; last years piss poor offensive showing nearly the entire season did a number on me.  It was pathetic!  So, I'm officially done with placing my confidence in that side of the ball UNTIL they show me improvement on a consistent basis.

#Mili

Edited by Militant X 1

sign Alex Mack as FA center and resign Monroe, Osemele, Mack, Yanda, Wagner is a very good line and should keep Joe upright. As long as Osemele is healthy he should be able to play that position if not hopefully Jensen can do it.

If we keep Monroe and somehow get Mack (latter unlikely) i would expect to get a RT in the first couple rounds (WR/TE then RT or vice versa), not stick with Wagner (at least get Winston too for cheap). The more i think about it, the Ravens might talk with Nicks. I don't see him getting a ton of money on the market and the more salary cap we get, the more serious of an offer we can have. 

Edited by Bravens292

Watching how Owen Daniels was used, and now I really really want Pitta to be re-signed. I feel like Pitta and Marlon Brown can be a similar type of threat to Daniels and Andre. (Notice I said similar)

As if it wasn't obvious already, I think this really shows why Kubiak was drooling over Pitta in his presser.

Completely agree. Pitta can be a monster in this offense. He's a better receiver than Daniels imo, and we already know him and Joe have great chemistry. He's a huge priority for us.

Very excited about the potential we have this season, but it's just that; potential. There's a lot of reasons to be pessimistic or cynical, but I can't help being hopeful and optimistic for the future. The season is so far away right now, although I'm sure it'll be here before we know it. So, no time for the FO/coaches to sit back and relax, but no time for fans to sweat it either. You can feel however you want, but I like to take it step by step. Coaching changes have been made, for presumably the better. Now we're more into the player phase: re-signing, then FA signing(I'm sure we will), eventually drafting and picking up UDFAs. We'll see how that goes. Hopefully, we can sure up the oline and get a few more weapons for Flacco.

Things don't have to go flawlessly, but if they go well enough then I can see Flacco leading the offense to, at least, consistently well played games. I do think waiting to see how they perform in the first 3 weeks of the regular season is fair though. 

Run,Run,Run

Run,Run,Run

Run,Play Action Pass,Run.........

Hey, at least it is different than run, run, pass.