Ravenskid52752

Salary cap raise? Sources says YES!

118 posts in this topic

That would be cool, although it probably will just mean the people we sign will cost more, because other teams have more to spend and compete with our offers. Good news none the less, ans the Cap should certainly go up because we know revenues are certainly not declining.

This actually probably gives us a chance to sign those FA's that were previously out of our range, I'm excited. We can afford to sign some veterans and draft some real blue chippers

Remember that ERFA/RFA tenders and draft pick allocation will still eat up a fairly large portion of our cap room.  Raising the cap up to $130M certainly helps, but remember that the available cap you see isn't necessarily going to be accurate since no one ever accounts for tenders and such.

If true, this is great news. With the amount of money the NFL as a business makes, the salary cap should be a lot higher. It's crazy that teams that draft well end up paying for it by not being able to re-sign their own talent.

Hopefully this helps to take care of Monroe.

Edited by bMore Heathen

We apparently had around 11.3 mil in cap room before the Suggs extension which saved 4.6 mil to get us to 15.9(all of this based of the previous projected 2014 cap of 126.3 mil). Now however with this news and the cap being 3.7 mil more than expected, we will have around 19.6 mil in cap room. Factor in the 3.2 mil from cutting McClain, the 1.6 mil from cutting Koch, and the 1.75 mil from cutting Leach and we would have around 26.15 mil in cap room if those cuts are made. Now there is some spending money. I think now, we could re-sign Monroe, resign Pitta, and now we have a good chance of bringing Daryl Smith back all while having money for the RFA tenders and draft picks and such. 

Remember that ERFA/RFA tenders and draft pick allocation will still eat up a fairly large portion of our cap room.  Raising the cap up to $130M certainly helps, but remember that the available cap you see isn't necessarily going to be accurate since no one ever accounts for tenders and such.

We don't have anyone worth tendering this year.We might put an original round tender on Josh Bynes(if you can do that with an undrafted guy) but none of the other restricted guys are worth that much.Draft picks may take up $3-4 million though.I think I read that there is a set cap number that can be spent on them but I don't remember how much that number is.

We don't have anyone worth tendering this year.We might put an original round tender on Josh Bynes(if you can do that with an undrafted guy) but none of the other restricted guys are worth that much.Draft picks may take up $3-4 million though.I think I read that there is a set cap number that can be spent on them but I don't remember how much that number is.

but we do... Omar Brown, Josh Bynes, Adrian Hamilton, Anthony Levine, Brynden Trawick and Tandon Doss are worth tendering... or we'll be looking at FA/draft for half of the special team at least

Edited by Mr. Nobody

but we do... Omar Brown, Josh Bynes, Adrian Hamilton, Anthony Levine, Brynden Trawick and Tandon Doss are worth tendering... or we'll be looking at FA/draft for half of the special team at least

I think Bynes, Hamilton, Brown and maybe Doss are worth tendering. Levine and Trawick? no thanks and i really wouldn't want bynes except for the fact his salary is low.

I think Bynes, Hamilton, Brown and maybe Doss are worth tendering. Levine and Trawick? no thanks and i really wouldn't want bynes except for the fact his salary is low.

Levine and trawick have a year in the system and are good Special teams players.  They're good to keep around.

Aaron Wilson just tweeted that with the Suggs savings and increased cap, the Ravens will have approximately $20M in Cap Space... that's awesome!

That's great. If a team throws stupid money at Monroe it wouldn't hurt like it would have been to tag him. But we still need to sign him long term

Aaron Wilson just tweeted that with the Suggs savings and increased cap, the Ravens will have approximately $20M in Cap Space... that's awesome!

Also weird.

I almost forgot we possibly can bring back Arthur Jones as well, he was as good as gone in my mind.

I almost forgot we possibly can bring back Arthur Jones as well, he was as good as gone in my mind.

That premise actually really excited me.  I love Aarthur Jones.  He loves football.

Yea that would be awesome if we could lock up Arthur Jones too. Really it would help us to do that, as we would have more flexibility with Ngata next year. If we were to cut him, we still have to find more quality D line help. Having Jones would certainly ease the pain of cutting him, not to mention give us a little more leverage if Ngata is willing to take a lower salary or be extended.

Selling off half the Thurs night package I believe to CBS definitely added to the revenue stream.

I would also like to see Arthur Jones back but at only around 5 mil a year.

Ugh I don't want Bynes back. He always looks lost out there. Big plays for the offense always happened around him.

sign Art Jones now first then Monroe.

Monroe is more important. I'm sure our priority is Monroe, Pitta, Smith, and than maybe Jones.

Lets just hope Eugene Monroe's player rep meets with Ozzie this weekend and starts hammering out a deal. I keep hearing that our guys also don't want to let Pitta hit the open market and are considering franchise tagging him. Maybe with this boost in cap space we could get them both, but you would think the best case scenario would be one or the other.

As long as we resign Monroe and grab one of either Pitta, Daryl Smith, or Art Jones I will be content.

Lets just hope Eugene Monroe's player rep meets with Ozzie this weekend and starts hammering out a deal. I keep hearing that our guys also don't want to let Pitta hit the open market and are considering franchise tagging him. Maybe with this boost in cap space we could get them both, but you would think the best case scenario would be one or the other.

As long as we resign Monroe and grab one of either Pitta, Daryl Smith, or Art Jones I will be content.

We should be aiming for more than two of our guys.  Monroe and Pitta are bare minimum, in my opinion.  I'd expect one of Daryl Smith or Corey Graham to be re-signed as well.

oh Monroe agent and the ravens already started talking yesterday  and will continue through out the combine because all agents will be there. and update the ravens have meetings with Jace  Amaro and Eric Ebron tonight.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/blogs/sports/ravens/eugene-monroe-weighs-in-on-contract-talks-with-ravens/article_9775eb74-99be-11e3-a47f-001a4bcf887a.html

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-to-meet-tonight-with-tight-ends-eric-ebron-jace-amaro-20140220,0,5742827.story

Edited by Ravenskid52752

We should be aiming for more than two of our guys.  Monroe and Pitta are bare minimum, in my opinion.  I'd expect one of Daryl Smith or Corey Graham to be re-signed as well.

I think Corey Graham is almost a shoe in as he should'nt be too expensive. But Im not sure about Daryl Smith and Art Jones they could make some bank in free agency. But hopefully we get some combo of those guys.

oh Monroe agent and the ravens already started talking yesterday  and will continue through out the combine because all agents will be there. and update the ravens have meetings with Jace  Amaro and Eric Ebron tonight.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/blogs/sports/ravens/eugene-monroe-weighs-in-on-contract-talks-with-ravens/article_9775eb74-99be-11e3-a47f-001a4bcf887a.html

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-to-meet-tonight-with-tight-ends-eric-ebron-jace-amaro-20140220,0,5742827.story

Yea I read up on some of the o-line and TE measurables...starting to get very excited for the weekend.

I think Corey Graham is almost a shoe in as he should'nt be too expensive. But Im not sure about Daryl Smith and Art Jones they could make some bank in free agency. But hopefully we get some combo of those guys.

I view it as the opposite.  I think Corey could price himself out of Baltimore, although I don't think he's going to break the bank.  I don't see Smith being that expensive, personally.  I think we could sign him to a reasonable deal.

I've already conceded that Art Jones is gone so I'm not even considering him.

I don't see Smith being that expensive, personally.  I think we could sign him to a reasonable deal.

Me neither, being that he's a 31 year old LB and still not a big name, I don't see a team out there to break the bank on him. He's best suited in Baltimore and both sides know it. With this potential boost in cap space, he stays. 

Edited by TDubbs

Me neither, being that he's a 31 year old LB and still not a big name, I don't see a team out there to break the bank on him. He's best suited in Baltimore and both sides know it. With this potential boost in cap space, he stays. 

Ozzie was able to find a guy that honestly made the loss of Ray Lewis not hurt, on the field at least.  That's not someone I see us letting walk out the door easily.

Ozzie was able to find a guy that honestly made the loss of Ray Lewis not hurt, on the field at least.  That's not someone I see us letting walk out the door easily.

Absolutely. After all the talk of an 'heir' to Lewis for many years. Smith came in out of nowhere and played at a phenomenal level all season, it was almost seamless. He'd stay over Art Jones, imo. 

Still feel like Smith is a candidate to hit the market, Im just worried we will be too focused on Eugene Monroe and Dennis Pitta that we may let him hit the market. And apparently there are 3 or 4 teams teams interested in him. He is coming off a bounce back year and could command a multi year deal. Honestly to me I think it would be better to go with Monroe, Smith, and Graham and let Pitta and Jones walk. I think Smith would be a great mentor for Arthur Brown in his first year starting.

Am I the only one who'd like to see the FO use the extra space to just front-load a few contracts (give Monroe a big hit for next season, for example)? Looking ahead to the next offseason, we have Smith brothers up for big paydays and I think Ozzie would be happy if guys like Monroe and Pitta already had a decent chunk of their contracts sorted.

I mean, there's obviously a good reason I'll never be an NFL GM and all, but...

Am I the only one who'd like to see the FO use the extra space to just front-load a few contracts (give Monroe a big hit for next season, for example)? Looking ahead to the next offseason, we have Smith brothers up for big paydays and I think Ozzie would be happy if guys like Monroe and Pitta already had a decent chunk of their contracts sorted.

I mean, there's obviously a good reason I'll never be an NFL GM and all, but...

We don't have enough room to front load.  Our big contracts get bigger and bigger as the years go on.

We don't have enough room to front load.  Our big contracts get bigger and bigger as the years go on.

You would hope they could try to front load at least one and get in a good practice of it. I cannot understand for the life of me why you would backload a contract for an older player. If they are young and not yet in their primes, I understand. If they're about to be out, I don't understand.

Edited by BmoreBird22

Absolutely. After all the talk of an 'heir' to Lewis for many years. Smith came in out of nowhere and played at a phenomenal level all season, it was almost seamless. He'd stay over Art Jones, imo. 

Art jones is obviously the better player, but Daryl Smith will be more affordable.

I don't think Daryl Smith will command too much given he's 31 and playing a position that's not highly sought after in free agency.  He's actually the one free agent I would say is a lock to return without any hesitation.

Edited by Ravenslifer

Art jones is obviously the better player, but Daryl Smith will be more affordable.

No question he's the better player. Especially in the long-term. By the sounds of it Art could command upwards of 5m a season somewhere; we will not be paying him that. 

Edited by TDubbs

No question he's the better player. Especially in the long-term. By the sounds of it Art could command upwards of 5m a season somewhere; we will not be paying him that.

I think we could afford $5 a year but Art is going to get $7-8 I think.

Does anyone know when the cap will officially be raised ? I was thinking maybe Ozzie is waiting for the cap to be raised before he resigns Monroe and everyone else in his plans.

Still feel like Smith is a candidate to hit the market, Im just worried we will be too focused on Eugene Monroe and Dennis Pitta that we may let him hit the market. And apparently there are 3 or 4 teams teams interested in him. He is coming off a bounce back year and could command a multi year deal. Honestly to me I think it would be better to go with Monroe, Smith, and Graham and let Pitta and Jones walk. I think Smith would be a great mentor for Arthur Brown in his first year starting.

I agree.  Monroe, Smith, and Graham would keep the D pretty solid.  Although I think Pitta is great and its convenient that he is BFF with Flacco, I think he would be easier to replace than Monroe and Smith.  Of course it would be nice if we could keep them all, but I don't think that would ever happen.

Simple. That money is not guaranteed. Teams can cut that player at any time. Or they can be extended. Like Suggs. Real gms are not just looking at one year or a couple. Ozzie is always plannig years ahead to have this team always competitive. Can't have big contracts all hitting at one time.

You would hope they could try to front load at least one and get in a good practice of it. I cannot understand for the life of me why you would backload a contract for an older player. If they are young and not yet in their primes, I understand. If they're about to be out, I don't understand.

Simple. That money is not guaranteed. Teams can cut that player at any time. Or they can be extended. Like Suggs. Real gms are not just looking at one year or a couple. Ozzie is always plannig years ahead to have this team always competitive. Can't have big contracts all hitting at one time.

Yeah, let's just cut Ngata since he's in the twilight of his career and we'll save.... $1 million.

That's the point I'm making. It would be really nice if this cap hit was way lower now that he's not playing as well to mitigate the cap hit if we cut him.

I think most GM's would love to front load and follow this idea, but it's hard when you're in a loop of back loading contracts and you have Ngata cap hits because front loading a Torrey Smith contract because it's near impossible