#1 OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:45 AM

Arthur or Jacoby?
It looks like money is tight again, but at some point we need to address the next generation after Ngata.I believe We should take Jacoby money and throw it to Athur. Hate to start over there.
DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!

#2 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:13 AM

Someone will probably throw crazy $ at Arthur, not so sure about Jacoby and IMO he is more likely to remain.  As with all of the personnel decisions it will come down to the $ and I doubt we break the bank to keep Arthur.  It seems that most of the cap room will be used to address holes in the O.

Edited by Tank 92, 18 February 2014 - 07:14 AM.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#3 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

I think Arthur is more likely to break the bank than Jacoby, but it would not surprise me at all if both were overpaid in free agency and we end up with neither.  Remember last year when apparently we were going to focus on Ellerbe, but he, Cary, Kruger, and Ed were all overpaid by their respective new teams.

#4 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

Apparently contract talks with Haloti went no where, so a chance of freeing up money and keeping our DL intact just isn't going to happen.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#5 TXRavensFan

TXRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

Apparently contract talks with Haloti went no where, so a chance of freeing up money and keeping our DL intact just isn't going to happen.

Fairly predictable considering: 1) he's hinted at retirement the last few years, and if he does retire in the next couple of years, an extension wouldn't make any sense (he may still me mulling over his plans), and 2) the team just doesn't have any leverage this year since cutting him would only save $1M; it's like trying to negotiate an extension with Suggs LAST year.

Posted Image

#6 Ozzsome

Ozzsome

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

If I had to choose, Arthur any day of the week. 

While Jacoby is a terrific playmaker, games are won and loss in the trenches and Arthur made significant improvements the last two years, he's more important to our team in my opinion. And I like his sack dance lol if you can call that a dance

#7 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

It won't be jones or jones, it will be Monroe or jones more than likely, or pitta jones.

Jacoby won't factor into their re signings

#8 ravensfan520

ravensfan520

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

Arthur.

#9 Guest_Moderator 6_*

Guest_Moderator 6_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

Did I miss something last year or is Arthur Jones some super star now worthy of franchise tag conversations?

#10 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

Judging by what I just read about Monroe/Pitta not willing to take a discount, neither of the Jones's will be here next year.

Arthur is a solid defensive lineman, but not a star by any means. Another team (I think New England) will offer him more than we are able to. 

Jacoby is my boy, I love that guy. Unless he wants back on the cheap side, he can be replaced through the draft. 

#11 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,439 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

Judging by what I just read about Monroe/Pitta not willing to take a discount, neither of the Jones's will be here next year.

Arthur is a solid defensive lineman, but not a star by any means. Another team (I think New England) will offer him more than we are able to.

Jacoby is my boy, I love that guy. Unless he wants back on the cheap side, he can be replaced through the draft.

I think Jones will get more money from New England and also get the chance to play with his brother. I could also see him going to Play in Indy or GB. GB usually doesn't sign FA's like that but it's just a hunch.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#12 baltimorefan328

baltimorefan328

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

While I agree players must keep their own interests in mind, and there are obvious reasons why Ngata would not work out an extension...this still fairly disappointed me. Ngata has been playing hurt the last 2-3 years and really has not been that dominant defensive lineman everyone say he is based on name alone. Yes, he used to be that guy, but has not been for a while. It is fairly disappointing to me that he wouldn't even consider taking a minor discount for the good of the team. By clearing up another 2-4 million, the Ravens could actually be in a decently favorable cap position for the first time in I dont even know how long. I obviously dont understand the ins and outs of these kinds of deals and understand the nfl is a business and you get your money when you can, but at this point in Ngata's career you would think he'd have enough money to say I'd rather help the team chase another ring than continue to eat up all the cap space I can

#13 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

I think Jones will get more money from New England and also get the chance to play with his brother. I could also see him going to Play in Indy or GB. GB usually doesn't sign FA's like that but it's just a hunch.

Yep NE or Green Bay. The Packers already said they were out to spend money. With Jones being able to play in both a 3-4 or a 4-3 .. I think he's a very attractive option for Belichick. Plus his brother is already recruiting him ... 

#14 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

Yep NE or Green Bay. The Packers already said they were out to spend money. With Jones being able to play in both a 3-4 or a 4-3 .. I think he's a very attractive option for Belichick. Plus his brother is already recruiting him ... 

While I'm sure AJ would love to play with his brother, I don't think NE is much better off cap wise than the Ravens. 

#15 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

How is that even a question. Jacoby is a situational guy, Art is one of the best D-Linemen in the league and hasn't even hit his prime yet. But he'll be too expensive to retain unless he wants to stay. I saw one of his tweets a couple days ago, he was begging Pitta to stay. Sounded like he's planning on staying here if he gets a solid offer from us, which I expect. We're not gonna lowball him.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#16 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

Did I miss something last year or is Arthur Jones some super star now worthy of franchise tag conversations?

Art is a stud.  The kind of guy 34 defenses shell out money for.  I don't know the tag price for DTs but if they can sign Pitta long term they need to look long and hard at tagging Art.

We literally have no one else who can play that spot on the roster.

#17 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,785 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

If its a choice between them, the answer is easily Art. I don't think either are worth breaking the bank over. Monroe, Pitta, and Smith are all bigger priorities.

@gabefergy

#18 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

I think the overlying question is which one is more likely to get an over the top offer elsewhere. It seems pretty obvious that is Art.

#19 LEGEN-wait for it-DARY

LEGEN-wait for it-DARY

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

Art is a stud.  The kind of guy 34 defenses shell out money for.  I don't know the tag price for DTs but if they can sign Pitta long term they need to look long and hard at tagging Art.

We literally have no one else who can play that spot on the roster.

Agreed, if we can get something done with Pitta I'm wondering if that's a possibilty. The tag price for DTs is $9.2 million.

It's funny how the 2010 draft turned out. The DT (Cody) and TE (Dickson) we drafted before Jones and Pitta turned out to be huge dissapointments, but showed flashes early on, while we're trying to figure out who we should give the franchise tag to with the latter two.

Edited by LEGEN-wait for it-DARY, 18 February 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#20 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

You missed something. ;)

Art was one of the best D-Linemen last year. He hasn't hit his prime yet, he can play any position on the D-Line and dominate from anywhere really. 4-3 DT, 4-3 DE, 3-4 DE, whatever. Definitely All Pro material at 4-3 DT / 3-4 DE. Excellent pass rusher, excellent run stopper. Somebody will pay him big bucks.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users