93 replies to this topic

#1 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

So, the Bleacher Report Top 1000 list for the NFL is starting. I'll probably post a link to each one to discuss it. The guy is a huge 49er, Patriot, and Andrew Luck lover, as a note. Here's this list: http://m.bleacherrep...65-quarterbacks

Because it's the Ravens board, I'll start with Joe. I found it curious that Joe gets knocked because he often put the ball in a place where receivers had to go up and get the ball, but where only they could get it, but guys like Stafford, Cutler, and Ben get a pass on it. He also gives Brady a pass for new faces on the team and Luck a pass for the lack of talent, but Joe is downgraded for not overcoming it.
As for the rest of the list, I found it interesting that we saw Foles lower than Cutler and Rome despite his impressive play and Russell Wilson at 3? Really?

#2 MoveThoseChains

MoveThoseChains

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

After I saw Flacco at 27, clicked next and saw Thad Lewis, clicked next and saw Brian Hoyer, I stopped reading. At this point as a Ravens fan, I don't listen to outsiders. It is truly inevitable that Flacco will always get knocked and hated on. For whatever reason, people critique Flacco down to the very smallest of details, but like you said, other quarterbacks get passes for their wrong-doings. It makes me mad, and confuses me, but it is what it is. Wins don't lie. 

#3 Ravenskid52752

Ravenskid52752

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

So, the Bleacher Report Top 1000 list for the NFL is starting. I'll probably post a link to each one to discuss it. The guy is a huge 49er, Patriot, and Andrew Luck lover, as a note. Here's this list: http://m.bleacherrep...65-quarterbacks

Because it's the Ravens board, I'll start with Joe. I found it curious that Joe gets knocked because he often put the ball in a place where receivers had to go up and get the ball, but where only they could get it, but guys like Stafford, Cutler, and Ben get a pass on it. He also gives Brady a pass for new faces on the team and Luck a pass for the lack of talent, but Joe is downgraded for not overcoming it.
As for the rest of the list, I found it interesting that we saw Foles lower than Cutler and Rome despite his impressive play and Russell Wilson at 3? Really?

yeah i saw this and just laughed i know he had a bad season but wth was he smoking while writeing this. he also said joe is very slow and that peyton manning s more mobile than him. lol. and i see this all the time is great fo QB to throw it up and be great but when Joe  does it its bad like what? that makes zero freaking sense. but its ok if matthew stafford does it but Joe flacco better not do it. please.  

#4 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,863 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

While I wouldn't of put Thad Lewis or Hoyer ahead of Flacco, the whole country might be on to something when they see him as an average QB. Outside of Baltimore he has very few supporters, there is nothing wrong with average. He hasn't been terrible enough to give us a losing season so is say that's pretty good

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#5 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,765 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

Bleacher Report is joke............. 

Phillip Rivers at 2? Russel Wilson at 3? Both are good but seriously?

#6 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,444 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

Was so close to putting this up. I had a whole thread typed and all. Instead I thought it would be better not to give them more page views.

I don't understand how he can put Matt Ryan so far ahead of him. Flacco didn't play like a top 10 QB but putting a few other names like Hoyer and Lewis infront of him loses all credibility.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#7 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,765 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

Mike Glennon at 18? Dalton at 19? No no no no no.....

#8 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,408 posts

at least its better than his actual passer rating:  his #32 next to matt schuab & brandon weeden

#9 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts

While I wouldn't of put Thad Lewis or Hoyer ahead of Flacco, the whole country might be on to something when they see him as an average QB. Outside of Baltimore he has very few supporters, there is nothing wrong with average. He hasn't been terrible enough to give us a losing season so is say that's pretty good

I agree with this list also. Peyton Manning has great mechanics and accuracy, if only he could take a snap properly.

bJNF689.jpg

#10 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Was so close to putting this up. I had a whole thread typed and all. Instead I thought it would be better not to give them more page views.

I don't understand how he can put Matt Ryan so far ahead of him. Flacco didn't play like a top 10 QB but putting a few other names like Hoyer and Lewis infront of him loses all credibility.

"The Falcons had a terrible year in 2013, but that wasn’t on Ryan. He remains one of the 10 best quarterbacks in the league."

"The Cowboys are heavily invested in their quarterback, and he appears to still have a few more good years left in him."

"The Ravens are probably regretting that massive contract extension they gave Flacco last offseason. He didn't have much help in 2013, but he was also a part of the team's problem on offense."

So, Tony Romo, who got more garanteed money than Flacco and has only 1 playoff win was well worth the money and Matt Ryan had a bad season, because he simply didn't have enough surrounding him.

Yet in the same time Flacco's contract was a waste in spite of him being a proven winner and the offense as whole having problems is no excuse for Joe's performance.

I wouldn't mind this, if this "review" of Flacco's performance was consistent with how the "writer" sees other QBs, but all this looks like is just a very badly researched opinion piece aka BleacherReport article.

bJNF689.jpg

#11 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

After I saw Flacco at 27, clicked next and saw Thad Lewis, clicked next and saw Brian Hoyer, I stopped reading. At this point as a Ravens fan, I don't listen to outsiders. It is truly inevitable that Flacco will always get knocked and hated on. For whatever reason, people critique Flacco down to the very smallest of details, but like you said, other quarterbacks get passes for their wrong-doings. It makes me mad, and confuses me, but it is what it is. Wins don't lie.

yeah i saw this and just laughed i know he had a bad season but wth was he smoking while writeing this. he also said joe is very slow and that peyton manning s more mobile than him. lol. and i see this all the time is great fo QB to throw it up and be great but when Joe  does it its bad like what? that makes zero freaking sense. but its ok if matthew stafford does it but Joe flacco better not do it. please.

I don't like lists like this because they have too many variables, one being the talent around you. Someone like Stafford van throw into triple coverage and Johnson will bail him out. He'll get praised for a great throw and putting the ball where only Johnson could get it. Joe makes the exact same throw yo Torrey and it gets intercepted, but now it's what the hell were you thinking?

#12 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,444 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

"The Falcons had a terrible year in 2013, but that wasn’t on Ryan. He remains one of the 10 best quarterbacks in the league."

"The Cowboys are heavily invested in their quarterback, and he appears to still have a few more good years left in him."

"The Ravens are probably regretting that massive contract extension they gave Flacco last offseason. He didn't have much help in 2013, but he was also a part of the team's problem on offense."

So, Tony Romo, who got more garanteed money than Flacco and has only 1 playoff win was well worth the money and Matt Ryan had a bad season, because he simply didn't have enough surrounding him.
Yet in the same time Flacco's contract was a waste in spite of him being a proven winner and the offense as whole having problems is no excuse for Joe's performance.

I wouldn't mind this, if this "review" of Flacco's performance was consistent with how the "writer" sees other QBs, but all this looks like is just a very badly researched opinion piece aka BleacherReport article.

Agreed.

#13 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

I guess they are speaking in terms of 2013 production...yea Flacco sucked I could take rank 27. If we are talking in terms of true skill Flacco is top 10.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#14 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,444 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

I guess they are speaking in terms of 2013 production...yea Flacco sucked I could take rank 27. If we are talking in terms of true skill Flacco is top 10.

But why does Ryan and Romo get passes? And Hoyer had a better year in like 4 games than Flacco did? when he was 1 game away from missing the playoffs while Certainly not getting help from anyone else on offense.

#15 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

I don't like lists like this because they have too many variables, one being the talent around you. Someone like Stafford van throw into triple coverage and Johnson will bail him out. He'll get praised for a great throw and putting the ball where only Johnson could get it. Joe makes the exact same throw yo Torrey and it gets intercepted, but now it's what the hell were you thinking?

That's why I think, that comparing QBs directly statistically is nonsensical. They don't throw to the same receivers, stay behind the same OL and play against the same defenses. Heck, sometimes a great defense can have really bad day and vice versa, so their impact on the QBs accuracy for example can fluctuate in a big way.

Stats are good for evaluating a QBs development and Joe certainly took a big step backwards, but does that mean Matt Ryan or Tony Romo would've played better behind the Ravens OL?

The Ravens never really build around the QB (ever!) or gave Joe alot of weapons to work with, while the OL was pretty average most of the time during Flacco's carreer and Joe never seemed on the same page with his OCs (which is why his stats aren't usually eyepopping). Well, except once and he ended up leading the team to the SB atleast.

The same way as detractors can take credit away from Flacco, because this team was build on defense and running the ball for so long, Flacco supporters can point towards this focus on defense as a prime reason why Joe is underrated.

bJNF689.jpg

#16 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

But why does Ryan and Romo get passes? And Hoyer had a better year in like 4 games than Flacco did? when he was 1 game away from missing the playoffs while Certainly not getting help from anyone else on offense.

Im not even sure why the hell 2 starts gives Brian Hoyer the ability to be on the list at all. He played 2 games than got injured in his 3rd start. In his 2 full games he only put up 321yds/3TDs/3INTs.....and 269yds/2TDs, not overly respectable.

And yea I had Matt Ryan and Romo on my fantasy team...I LOST haha

Edited by Purple_ICE 81, 17 February 2014 - 04:29 PM.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#17 bpytnjr58

bpytnjr58

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

Completely bogus and biased rankings.

#18 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,765 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

But why does Ryan and Romo get passes?  

fantasy-football-640x465.jpg

#19 MoveThoseChains

MoveThoseChains

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

Couldn't have said it any better. 

#20 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

I disagree with his mobility ranking, but agree with everything else, though I think he was generous with his ranking on decision making.  Pretty fair analysis in my book.

Let me say I might not agree with where he was ranked, but that's on the system he used.

Edited by redrum52, 17 February 2014 - 04:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users