17 replies to this topic

#1 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

Hopefully the Ravens resign Eugene Monroe after getting Suggs extending and freeing up $4.6M. Should we resign Monroe long term, there would still be a hole at the RT spot and a need for a veteran center to push Gino Gradkowski for his starting job. I feel like Harbagh will make it Gino's job to lose.

Some affordable yet decent o-line prospects I think the Ravens could target are:

OT Eric Winston

G/T Kevin Boothe

OT Anthony Collins

G/T Andrew Whitworth

OG Wade Smith

C Evan Dietrich-Smith

C Johnathan Goodwin

C Andre Gurode

If we bring in a guard we could move KO to RT and groom him there. But what would everyone else like to see happen with our o-line this year?

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#2 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,878 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

Assuming Monroe is re-signed, it's highly likely than him, Yanda, and KO are penciled in to start.

So you have:

Monroe - KO/??? - ??? - Yanda - KO/???

I think one spot has to be filled via FA, preferably C, while we go the draft route to find either a G or RT.  I'd be alright with Winston in addition to a pick at G/T as I think he'd be cheap enough to not really matter.  If we want to improve C, I think it almost has to be via FA.

Proud Owner/GM/Coach of the Portland Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

#3 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,217 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

I heard rumblings that the Chargers may cut center Nick Hardwick to save 4.4M on their cap. If this happens and they cut him as speculated, he's exactly the kind of player we would sign. He's a team leader and he's a capable center. He wouldn't command a ton of money and he's at a relatively decent age at 32.

http://www.rotoworld...2/nick-hardwick

#4 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

I heard rumblings that the Chargers may cut center Nick Hardwick to save 4.4M on their cap. If this happens and they cut him as speculated, he's exactly the kind of player we would sign. He's a team leader and he's a capable center. He wouldn't command a ton of money and he's at a relatively decent age at 32.

Nice must have missed this, anything is better than the current center market. No way the Ravens get Alex Mack...and Dietrich-Smith, and Brian DeLaPuenta are going to be expensive aswell. Other than those 3 everyone else is a giant question mark to me. I still believe it to be Gino Gradkowski's starting job to lose but Ozzie should bring in some competition for him after he played poorly in 2013.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#5 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

Well San Diego did run zone scheme starting in 2013 since Mike Mccoy ran it in Denver and he became their head coach and yeah they ran zone last year lol. That means he has some experience with it as well so it would not be a huge transition. That is key because I think we will want a FA who knows the scheme fairly well at least. Now his play in the zone scheme last year will be interesting after the transition since I think he was there before they went to zone but it would be a good sign compared to everything else.

Edit: I just looked it up and apparently he played great in 2013 and was getting pro bowl attention and maybe even an all pro. I think he transitioned fine  :Dancing_Banana_Homer_by_zorkky:

Edited by 52520Andrew, 17 February 2014 - 05:57 PM.

In Ozzie we Trust

Dallas Cowboys GM

General  Manager/Owner of the

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Puffins

#6 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

If we bring in a guard we could move KO to RT and groom him there. But what would everyone else like to see happen with our o-line this year?

I believe sliding KO to RT would be a great move. He's got the size and athleticism to do it and excel at the position. Plus, I'm really not concerned about the back injury at all. Finding a guard in the draft is a much easier task and we've proven capable of doing so. Unless we splashed on Mack, I don't see any FA Olinemen worth spending money on besides a vet min deal. 

Edited by TDubbs, 17 February 2014 - 06:04 PM.

#7 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

I believe sliding KO to RT would be a great move. He's got the size and athleticism to do it and excel at the position. Plus, I'm really not concerned about the back injury at all. Finding a guard in the draft is a much easier task and we've proven capable of doing so. Unless we splashed on Mack, I don't see any FA Olinemen worth spending money on besides a vet min deal. 

I'd rather not have Kelechi at right tackle. I suppose there are worse options, but he allowed seven sacks and 26 QB hurries. I'd much rather get Eric Winston on the vet minimum.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 17 February 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#8 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

I'd rather not have Kelechi at right tackle. I suppose there are worse options, but he allowed seven sacks and 26 QB hurries. I'd much rather get Eric Winston on the vet minimum.

Oher is a worse option lol. KO has the tools to do really well at RT imo, especially in the scheme Kubiak wants to run. Monroe/KO would be nice stability at Tackle.

While I don't mind Winston at the vet min if we kept KO at guard. But I prefer to take a shot at the potential long-term fix if we could find a solid guard/center in the draft. 

#9 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

Oher is a worse option lol. KO has the tools to do really well at RT imo, especially in the scheme Kubiak wants to run. Monroe/KO would be nice stability at Tackle.

While I don't mind Winston at the vet min if we kept KO at guard. But I prefer to take a shot at the potential long-term fix if we could find a solid guard/center in the draft. 

Why does no one talk about Ricky Wagner?

Edited by BmoreBird22, 17 February 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#10 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

Why does no one talk about Ricky Wagner?

Unknown commodity I guess, right? He's got the ideal size to play at RT but we really don't know what he can do at the pro level. It would be great if he could take the starting RT job and keep KO at guard. Ozzie needs to be sure though, we can't have another year of Joe getting beat down like that. 

#11 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Unknown commodity I guess, right? He's got the ideal size to play at RT but we really don't know what he can do at the pro level. It would be great if he could take the starting RT job and keep KO at guard. Ozzie needs to be sure though, we can't have another year of Joe getting beat down like that. 

Outside of the early series against Denver (he actually got better as the game went on), he played well in limited action. Even if it was really limited, he blocked well for the running game (crazy, right?) and wasn't terrible in pass protection once he got his feet wet. 

Everyone is an unknown commodity until they get a shot at playing. He's an ideal fit for the zone blocking scheme that Kubiak wants and they just brought in Hammock. That seems like he's going to get a really good shot.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 17 February 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#12 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

He's an ideal fit for the zone blocking scheme that Kubiak wants and they just brought in Hammock. That seems like he's going to get a really good shot.

Might be a situation where they evaluate how good he is in OTA's/Training camp and bring in a vet if necessary. It would be nice to have a guy start on his rookie deal and spend the money elsewhere, that's for sure. 

#13 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Might be a situation where they evaluate how good he is in OTA's/Training camp and bring in a vet if necessary. It would be nice to have a guy start on his rookie deal and spend the money elsewhere, that's for sure. 

I think it's very likely to bring in Winston for the vet minimum since he knows Kubiak's system. He could mentor Ricky.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 17 February 2014 - 06:51 PM.

#14 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

I can see this happening I saw several forum members talking about how good the backup center for the chargers is , as a possible fit here this would be way better in terms of cap and experience

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

#15 Juviebest

Juviebest

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

KO has come out and said he preferred playing LG, this talk about him being a RT is a moot point unless injuries occur.

I'd love Hardwick here on a Daryl Smith like deal but two years instead. Then bringing in Winston to compete with Wagner for the RT spot and re-signing Monroe for LT.

I really like the prospects of Monroe-KO-Hardwick-Yanda-Winston or Wagner. Provides us with solid depth too with Gino, Shipley, Jensen and the loser of the RT battle. That starting line up has the potential to be as good as our line was during the Super Bowl run.

#16 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

KO has come out and said he preferred playing LG, this talk about him being a RT is a moot point unless injuries occur.

I'd love Hardwick here on a Daryl Smith like deal but two years instead. Then bringing in Winston to compete with Wagner for the RT spot and re-signing Monroe for LT.

I really like the prospects of Monroe-KO-Hardwick-Yanda-Winston or Wagner. Provides us with solid depth too with Gino, Shipley, Jensen and the loser of the RT battle. That starting line up has the potential to be as good as our line was during the Super Bowl run.

That would be my hope for this offseason. If we got that, I would be excited for the O-line. I don't think we would need to even draft anyone for it with that lineup.

In Ozzie we Trust

Dallas Cowboys GM

General  Manager/Owner of the

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Puffins

#17 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

Nick Hardwick has been talking retirement for years because of the long term affects from concussions, add this last seasons lingering neck injury and I'd say he's about done.

#18 Tru11

Tru11

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:50 AM

its gino job to loose.

monroe is a must resign and RT have a free for all and may the best man win.

dq0w81.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users