52 replies to this topic

#1 3-4ravdef509

3-4ravdef509

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

Here's my top ten reasons we'll be back in the playoffs next year, in an upwards progressing order or importance.

10.) One year removed from losing Raven idols Ray Lewis and Ed Reed

Explanation: If someone told me five years ago we'd be in the playoff race and barely fall short with an 8-8 record the year after we lose both Ed Reed and Ray Lewis, I would have thought that to be a positive. The fact that is followed a Super Bowl victory made it more disappointing in a way, but losing two players like that, especially one who was basically the heart beat of our team, definitely comes with an adjustment period.

9.) Young players learning from valuable starting time

Explanation: Players like Elam, Brown, Smith, the other Brown, etc got a lot of good and bad experiences to build upon this year. Hopefully we get a true FS and put Elam in the SS spot where he's more suited. Marlon could be poised for a breakout season next year. And Smith is playing like the shutdown corner he was in college.

8.) Hangover will wear off.

Explanation: I'm sure for the players who were retained from that winning roster, they probably thought things were going to pan out differently. I'm not suggesting that they didn't put in their all, but I'm saying nothing prepares you for being at the top and then having to defend that position with everyone gunning at you more than ever.

7.) Mediocrity in the AFC

Explanation: The most dominant team in the AFC got blown out in the Super Bowl...nuff said. Eisenberg wrote a good article about it after the Superbowl, and we're poised to make a comeback because we're going to be (see #6)

6.) Reinventing our offense

Explanation: I love Joe, but we rarely win when he throws it all over the place. The truth is, he and the rest of the team play better when we're focused on being a physical, wear you out offense that can throw an 80 yard bomb over your heads at a moment's notice. After how bad the running game was last year, I'd be shocked to see Ozzie not target offensive lineman and maybe even a running back in the middle rounds of the draft to put a notice out to Rice and Pierce that nothing is set in stone. But the improvement won't just come from new players, but from our new OC as well

5.) Missing playoffs will make our seasoned vets hungry again

Explanation: Well, duh.

And as K-dog added: "If any thing I will add to number five and that MOST of the team is pissed about an 8-8 record last year."

4.) Hopefully a healthy roster

The most overlooked story last year, largely overshadowed by our underwhelming offense (no run game and Joe being sloppy with the ball), was how many critical injuries we incurred. Jones, Pitta, Dickson, Brown, Rice, and other players missed anywhere from major time to at least a few weeks. Ngata again played hurt all year and Suggs fizzled out after week 10.

3.) In Ozzie we trust

2.) Softer Schedule, better Draft selection.

Explanation: There's a reason most teams don't make the playoffs five years in a row with three conference final appearances and a Super Bowl win: the league makes it hard. It finally caught up to us, but with the softer schedule and picking below 20 for the first time since the draft that nabbed Flacco and Rice, we're primed for a rebound.

1.) Joe Flacco. He had a tough year, but all things considering it could have been worse. Only Rodgers could have stepped in and played better, and that's a fact. Brady could have played better, but not with our coaching staff. Manning would have been injured 3 games in. Brees needs a good running game as much as Flacco does. Nay sayers be gone, Joe Flacco is what he is, and that's a championship caliber qb and I'm sure he's taking this offseason seriously to take time to hone his craft and prove that playoff run wasn't a fluke.

Edited by 3-4ravdef509, 12 February 2014 - 07:59 AM.

#2 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

Here's my top ten reasons we'll be back in the playoffs next year, in an upwards progressing order or importance.

3.) In Ozzie we trust

ENOUGH SAID.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#3 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,869 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

I have no argument for the entire post.

If any thing I will add to number five and that MOST of the team is pissed about an 8-8 record last year.

Too add on, Rice has something to prove.

Kubiak wants to hit the ground running.

John Harbaugh read the threads here and wants to prove the doubters wrong....

Edited by K-Dog, 11 February 2014 - 08:42 PM.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#4 Ravenskid52752

Ravenskid52752

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

Love it great post!

#5 Pats

Pats

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

I'll give you one reason, no superbowl hangover

#6 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

The truth is, he and the rest of the team play better when we're focused on being a physical, wear you out offense that can throw an 80 yard bomb over your heads at a moment's notice.

You think we can beat Seattle by doing that? I say we have a shot. Seattle did not have to honor the deep ball really at all vs. Manning and they anticipated a lot of his routes on the first move. Denver did not use any double moves and Sherman even said that if they did, it would have worked. But Manning might not have had the arm strength anyways, but I think Flacco and Torrey would make them have to honor that deep threat.

In Ozzie we Trust

Dallas Cowboys GM

General  Manager/Owner of the

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Puffins

#7 Inqui

Inqui

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

I could see him talking to himself during the OC hiring process. "Hmm, these guys think I hire my buddies all the time huh. Fine, Gary Kubiak should put that to rest."

Forum: "Steve and Ozzie stepped in on that one."

John: "Son of a..."

I did like the reason you provided though. :D

Proud Jerry Jones equivalent of The Rains of Castamere

#8 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

I really believe, that we would've been in the playoffs, if our OL would've atleast played average. If the Ravens OL can back to being mediocre, we're already championship contenders. The ball is in your court Castillo. Better prove Harbs right.

Edited by PolishRifle, 11 February 2014 - 09:46 PM.

bJNF689.jpg

#9 Purple Punishment

Purple Punishment

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

If Castillo fails, someone other than Castillo will be fired.
"Im Pissed Off For Greatness" -Ray Lewis

PSN: RobtasticVoyage

#10 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,444 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

Great post!
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#11 3-4ravdef509

3-4ravdef509

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

I have no argument for the entire post.

If any thing I will add to number five and that MOST of the team is pissed about an 8-8 record last year.

Too add on, Rice has something to prove.

Kubiak wants to hit the ground running.

Good points!

Hopefully Rice has a rebound year, we really missed those 4 & 29 esq plays this year.

#12 3-4ravdef509

3-4ravdef509

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:03 AM

You think we can beat Seattle by doing that? I say we have a shot. Seattle did not have to honor the deep ball really at all vs. Manning and they anticipated a lot of his routes on the first move. Denver did not use any double moves and Sherman even said that if they did, it would have worked. But Manning might not have had the arm strength anyways, but I think Flacco and Torrey would make them have to honor that deep threat.

Heck, we almost beat Seattle in their house a few years back.

Granted a lot has changed, but I think stylistically we match up better than the Broncos did. In fact, people who picked the Broncos over the Seahawks really only had one reason: they thought Manning was gonna play out of his mind, and he didn't.

Although I certainly didn't predict a blowout to the degree that it happened.

To be honest, if the running game was at least average this year, and Joe cut down like 3 of his turnovers, we'd be in the playoffs.

#13 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,444 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

We also won't carry the title as Super Bowl champions. Teams always give their best against each other but it's different when facing the defending champs.

#14 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

Heck, we almost beat Seattle in their house a few years back.

Granted a lot has changed, but I think stylistically we match up better than the Broncos did. In fact, people who picked the Broncos over the Seahawks really only had one reason: they thought Manning was gonna play out of his mind, and he didn't.

Although I certainly didn't predict a blowout to the degree that it happened.

To be honest, if the running game was at least average this year, and Joe cut down like 3 of his turnovers, we'd be in the playoffs.

Exactly, I feel we can get after their front 7 while holding their safeties back with the deep ball and if they creep the safeties up then boom we go over the top with Torrey. We need a good running game to do it but I think that would be our best strategy.

Heck if we had an O-line we would be in the playoffs this year. If we fix that, we will be back in it again.

In Ozzie we Trust

Dallas Cowboys GM

General  Manager/Owner of the

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Puffins

#15 3-4ravdef509

3-4ravdef509

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

We also won't carry the title as Super Bowl champions. Teams always give their best against each other but it's different when facing the defending champs.

That was a tag in number 8 :)

#16 SuRihtanil

SuRihtanil

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Lower expectations = less of a heart break when ravens miss the playoffs at 9-7.  After this past season not sure how the ravens will play in the upcoming season.

#17 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,444 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

That was a tag in number 8 :)

Oopsies. 😮

#18 cobrajet

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

We got some work to put in. This season I want no excuses, just get it done.

#19 playlikeawhat

playlikeawhat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

If Castillo fails, someone other than Castillo will be fired.

Yep...pretty much.  Pathetic but true.

4.) Hopefully a healthy roster

The most overlooked story last year, largely overshadowed by our underwhelming offense (no run game and Joe being sloppy with the ball), was how many critical injuries we incurred. Jones, Pitta, Dickson, Brown, Rice, and other players missed anywhere from major time to at least a few weeks. Ngata again played hurt all year and Suggs fizzled out after week 10.

Yep...and NFL media lost all credibility the instant they pretended we weren't hampered by injuries.  That's why I'm blaming the "Top 5" QBs for everything going forward.  Two can play the delusional game.

#20 HoldingCall

HoldingCall

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

I understand the optimism but will add a reminder that a few years back an 11-5 record missed the playoffs. I also understand the opinion about the weakness of the AFC but it only takes one season for that to change. I am hopeful that they make playoffs but will not be surprised if it doesn't happen. Besides, we don't even know who will be on the team in September.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users