Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Militant X 1

Are we a 'spoiled by' or 'accustomed to winning' fan base?

57 posts in this topic

Recently, I've been noticing a few posters mentioning that we Ravens fans can't appreciate our 8-8 season because we are spoiled by all of the winning the Ravens have done over the past 5 seasons and by their constantly being in the playoffs and a few AFCCG appearances.  That's not how I see it or how I would call it!  Over the years, I have become quite accustomed to and expect the Baltimore Ravens to be winners!  What's wrong with that?  Nothing in my eyes!   So, what's your take on this? 

Are you spoiled by or accustomed to winning as a Ravens fan?

#Mili

Spoiled, no. I wouldn't describe the fan base as that. Accustomed, I don't know, I don't know if I like that word either. Perhaps assumptive works better? The fans assume victory based on a number of factors. When that doesn't happen, it's frustrating. Accustomed is a close enough word to use, I suppose, but definitely not spoiled. 

As fans we have expectations of the team.  When the team fails to meet them we become disappointed.

But the team last year was so inept offensively it was hard to watch.

Both. We're accustomed to winning, and rightfully so, but when we have an 8-8 season, the world is ending and some people act like we haven't won a game in six years. That makes us look spoiled. 

It's okay to be accustomed to winning. We should be. But an 8-8 season after a five year period of dominance is forgivable.

Accustomed to winning does not mean you whine, complain and criticize CONSTANTLY. that's what spoiled brats do.

Recently, I've been noticing a few posters mentioning that we Ravens fans can't appreciate our 8-8 season because we are spoiled by all of the winning the Ravens have done over the past 5 seasons and by their constantly being in the playoffs and a few AFCCG appearances.  That's not how I see it or how I would call it!  Over the years, I have become quite accustomed to and expect the Baltimore Ravens to be winners!  What's wrong with that?  Nothing in my eyes!   So, what's your take on this? 

Are you spoiled by or accustomed to winning as a Ravens fan?

#Mili

Actually, that sounds like a game of semantics. Spoiled or accustomed sounds pretty much the same, except the former makes us sound like babies. Regardless, an 8-8 season is not a good season, particularly the way we got there. I do not think it is just the season, it is the lackluster play by the team and performance of the coaching staff. Had the team played hard and lost hard fought close games, I do not think we would be seeing so many "accustomed" fans.

I don't know if spoiled oils the right word. Some fans act like they are.  I might say that some are sore about not having their expectations met.  I have lived in markets with losing teams...  You want to talk about being called spoiled.  These other fans in these cities are envious of us.  They just want to win.  I think disappointed is a better word.  We really need to appreciate what we have. 

Actually, that sounds like a game of semantics. Spoiled or accustomed sounds pretty much the same, except the former makes us sound like babies. Regardless, an 8-8 season is not a good season, particularly the way we got there. I do not think it is just the season, it is the lackluster play by the team and performance of the coaching staff. Had the team played hard and lost hard fought close games, I do not think we would be seeing so many "accustomed" fans.

Hardly semantics cause those two words mean entirely two different things.

#Mili

I think you can be both - going to the playoffs 5 seasons in a row, you should be accustomed to and expect to win.  However, I don't think that gives people the right to start talking about firing this coach and that coach and this coach is coaching for his job or whatnot after missing the playoffs by a game or two.  Going 8-8 while being down 3 of 4 starting receivers from last year, and without the starting running back for a while is a major accomplishment.  Was this season a failure, in terms of our expectations to go back to the playoffs, yes.  

But at the same time we as fans should understand that we can't make the postseason every year, we play in a division that is historically very strong and has 4 Superbowl appearances with 3 victories since 2005.  What we should expect from this fan base is that this team, from the front office down, will try to do its best to field a competitive team year in and year out, and when a mistake has been made e.g. getting rid of a major playmaker without having a really solid backup plan in mind, the front office will go out there and try to rectify it.  And especially this fan base, I think, should not always focus it's attention on a handful of players and say they are the sole purpose for our failures.  

This is a team game, and this year we did not field the kind of team that could compete when it counted the most.  I expect that next year we will have a team that can do so much better.  Now if it continues next year, and the efforts were not made in the offseason to correct mistakes, then there should be some concern.  However, I think the appropriate steps have already begun - this team recognized a failure on the offensive side of the ball of significant proportions, so they went out and hired a new OC, new QB coach, parted ways with a guy who's been here almost 15 years and two other guys who've been here 6 years, and brought in some newer, perhaps more innovative, coaches who can offer a different perspective.  If they'd stayed the course with the offensive pieces, then there would be a right to complain, I think, but at this point Ravens fans should be quite pleased, IMO, with the steps the front office has taken the last few weeks.

I think you can be both - going to the playoffs 5 seasons in a row, you should be accustomed to and expect to win.  However, I don't think that gives people the right to start talking about firing this coach and that coach and this coach is coaching for his job or whatnot after missing the playoffs by a game or two.  Going 8-8 while being down 3 of 4 starting receivers from last year, and without the starting running back for a while is a major accomplishment.  Was this season a failure, in terms of our expectations to go back to the playoffs, yes.  

But at the same time we as fans should understand that we can't make the postseason every year, we play in a division that is historically very strong and has 4 Superbowl appearances with 3 victories since 2005.  What we should expect from this fan base is that this team, from the front office down, will try to do its best to field a competitive team year in and year out, and when a mistake has been made e.g. getting rid of a major playmaker without having a really solid backup plan in mind, the front office will go out there and try to rectify it.  And especially this fan base, I think, should not always focus it's attention on a handful of players and say they are the sole purpose for our failures.  

This is a team game, and this year we did not field the kind of team that could compete when it counted the most.  I expect that next year we will have a team that can do so much better.  Now if it continues next year, and the efforts were not made in the offseason to correct mistakes, then there should be some concern.  However, I think the appropriate steps have already begun - this team recognized a failure on the offensive side of the ball of significant proportions, so they went out and hired a new OC, new QB coach, parted ways with a guy who's been here almost 15 years and two other guys who've been here 6 years, and brought in some newer, perhaps more innovative, coaches who can offer a different perspective.  If they'd stayed the course with the offensive pieces, then there would be a right to complain, I think, but at this point Ravens fans should be quite pleased, IMO, with the steps the front office has taken the last few weeks.

Agreed!

#Mili

Some fans are spoiled, some are accustom.

A lot of it has to do with WHEN you became a fan.

Some fans are spoiled, some are accustom.

A lot of it has to do with WHEN you became a fan.

Elaborate a little further on this K-Dog.

#Mili

It's hard to gage the character of a fanbase based on message board posts. People tend to be overly dramatic on the internet, which doesn't represent any kind of reality.

I can say, that some of the assumptions and posts that were made about Harbaugh and Flacco, who were both instrumental in our run of making the playoffs 5 times in a row, were pretty digusting. I do think, that some of it is understandable, because it proves those people care about the franchise, but turning on players like for example Ray Rice, who has contributed to the team for a long time, is not what fandom should be all about. Some loyalty towards the team should be expected.

#Mili

In my opinion.

Fans who jumped on the Ravens band wagon with in the past five years seem to be a bit more spoiled.

Fans who have been around since 96 and have seen a few horrific seasons here and there seem to take this past seasons 8-8 a bit more in stride.

I expect fans to express disappointment in a large variety of ways because they are a mixture and variety of personalities. 

Also, I think it's within reason to suspect that $$ betting and fantasy football may possibly fuel some post and attitudes. So, along with accustomed and spoiled maybe they were broke too.

#Mili

im gonna guess hes saying that the fans that hopped on the bandwagon when joe and harbs came, have never experienced a season without the playoffs as fans of this team, the people who have stuck through the kyle boller and qb carousel days have experienced the tough seasons before

I don't think there's much spoiled about the team losing just short of the SB four straight years, but finally breaking through and winning it after 5 years sure is satisfying.  

It's hard to gage the character of a fanbase based on message board posts. People tend to be overly dramatic on the internet, which doesn't represent any kind of reality.

I can say, that some of the assumptions and posts that were made about Harbaugh and Flacco, who were both instrumental in our run of making the playoffs 5 times in a row, were pretty digusting. I do think, that some of it is understandable, because it proves those people care about the franchise, but turning on players like for example Ray Rice, who has contributed to the team for a long time, is not what fandom should be all about. Some loyalty towards the team should be expected.

Well said ! You would think by reading the forum post half the posters never watch a football team long term. The fire Harbaugh, Flacco needs to take a pay cut and every single  variation of that was/is nuts . Especially after just winning a superbowl. With all the loss we had this past year I thought 8 and 8 was pretty good all things considered.

Accustomed to winning does not mean you whine, complain and criticize CONSTANTLY. that's what spoiled brats do.

This.

In my opinion.

Fans who jumped on the Ravens band wagon with in the past five years seem to be a bit more spoiled.

Fans who have been around since 96 and have seen a few horrific seasons here and there seem to take this past seasons 8-8 a bit more in stride.

Completely agree

Right. And the whining and constant complaining also points to being short sighted and not understanding the big picture.

In my opinion.

Spot on.

What a lot of posters don't know or just fail to recognize is that the NFL has structured rules(salary cap, free agency, etc.) to prevent teams from being winning franchises year in and year out. Losing players to free agency has become a way of life and making the right decisions on where and how to spend the limited budget can keep a team competitive, but the days of the so called "dynasty" are gone. 

Also, fantasy football has skewed the view of many on exactly what is important to winning a football game. It seems that some feel that if your QB, WRs and RBs don't put up huge #s they have failed and should be replaced. Obviously this is short sighted and wrong. 

It's a natural reaction to be dissapointed when your team doesn't come out on top, but Ravens fans should be thankful and hopeful in knowing that they have an organization that is savvy and adept at making correct decisions that keep the Team competitive. We also need to realize that the organization will make what we may perceive to be "mistakes", and understand that they are not mistakes at all, but calculated "gambles"(decisions) in an attempt to navigate the restrictions placed on building a team. Hind sight is always the best sight and to think any of us could have made better decisions to produce different results is just silly.         

constantly being the key word. There are a few here who whine about literally everything. I think that says more about that person and their life than it does about anything related to football

In my opinion.

Great point!

I expect fans to express disappointment in a large variety of ways because they are a mixture and variety of personalities. 

Also, I think it's within reason to suspect that $$ betting and fantasy football may possibly fuel some post and attitudes. So, along with accustomed and spoiled maybe they were broke too.

LOL!

#Mili

Well said ! You would think by reading the forum post half the posters never watch a football team long term. The fire Harbaugh, Flacco needs to take a pay cut and every single  variation of that was/is nuts . Especially after just winning a superbowl. With all the loss we had this past year I thought 8 and 8 was pretty good all things considered.

You can grow accustomed to winning constantly, but in a league, where things can change fast for better or for worse, you probably shouldn't.

You can grow accustomed to winning constantly, but in a league, where things can change fast for better or for worse, you probably shouldn't.

While I definitely understand your point about the changing league, there is nothing wrong with having the expectations or being accustomed to winning!  Ask the Patriots fans about that for example.  Their team always seem to be in the thick of the Super Bowl hunt.  They don't always win of course; but damn it....nearly ever year they are always in the mix! 

All things being equal....why can't that be the Ravens?  Or, better yet; why shouldn't that be what we Ravens fans expect?  After all; IF Ozzie is the greatest GM (as many cats in here love to keep saying) in the NFL having a great eye for talent; shouldn't that be our expectations as fans?  Speaking for myself...it is for me!

I'd be more worried about the state of our team if people were singing hallelujah for barely making it into the playoffs. Mediocrity isn't acceptable in Baltimore, and nor should it be. 

And neither is it acceptable with me.

#Mili

A real fan loves their team no matter what! I am proud to be a Raven fan no matter what! All the crying and finger pointing is for the above mentioned "band wagoners". When I watched the live press conference with Art, etc... that we were getting an NFL team again I cried, jumped for joy, then cried again! We are better than that and most of us know this. Ask an old Baltimore Colt fan what not having a team is like for 14 years, then get back to me. I'll fill you in, Ravens forever!!