Ravens at Steelers      Game Rewind      Pro Bowl Voting   

Photo

Are we a 'spoiled by' or 'accustomed to winning' fan base?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

Recently, I've been noticing a few posters mentioning that we Ravens fans can't appreciate our 8-8 season because we are spoiled by all of the winning the Ravens have done over the past 5 seasons and by their constantly being in the playoffs and a few AFCCG appearances.  That's not how I see it or how I would call it!  Over the years, I have become quite accustomed to and expect the Baltimore Ravens to be winners!  What's wrong with that?  Nothing in my eyes!   So, what's your take on this? 

Are you spoiled by or accustomed to winning as a Ravens fan?

#Mili

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I don’t care about the opponent. They’re nameless, gray faces!"

- Mike Tomlin

#2 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

#Mili

Both. Lol.

#3 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,613 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

It probably is a combination of both.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#4 Ragin'Raven

Ragin'Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

Spoiled, no. I wouldn't describe the fan base as that. Accustomed, I don't know, I don't know if I like that word either. Perhaps assumptive works better? The fans assume victory based on a number of factors. When that doesn't happen, it's frustrating. Accustomed is a close enough word to use, I suppose, but definitely not spoiled. 

I'm a mama of three boys. Nothing scares or disgusts me anymore. 

#5 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

I think both .

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

#6 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

As fans we have expectations of the team.  When the team fails to meet them we become disappointed.

But the team last year was so inept offensively it was hard to watch.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#7 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,222 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

Both. We're accustomed to winning, and rightfully so, but when we have an 8-8 season, the world is ending and some people act like we haven't won a game in six years. That makes us look spoiled. 

It's okay to be accustomed to winning. We should be. But an 8-8 season after a five year period of dominance is forgivable.

#8 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,804 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

Accustomed to winning does not mean you whine, complain and criticize CONSTANTLY. that's what spoiled brats do.
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#9 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Recently, I've been noticing a few posters mentioning that we Ravens fans can't appreciate our 8-8 season because we are spoiled by all of the winning the Ravens have done over the past 5 seasons and by their constantly being in the playoffs and a few AFCCG appearances.  That's not how I see it or how I would call it!  Over the years, I have become quite accustomed to and expect the Baltimore Ravens to be winners!  What's wrong with that?  Nothing in my eyes!   So, what's your take on this? 

#Mili

Actually, that sounds like a game of semantics. Spoiled or accustomed sounds pretty much the same, except the former makes us sound like babies. Regardless, an 8-8 season is not a good season, particularly the way we got there. I do not think it is just the season, it is the lackluster play by the team and performance of the coaching staff. Had the team played hard and lost hard fought close games, I do not think we would be seeing so many "accustomed" fans.

Edited by jaege, 07 February 2014 - 06:52 PM.

It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#10 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

I don't know if spoiled oils the right word. Some fans act like they are.  I might say that some are sore about not having their expectations met.  I have lived in markets with losing teams...  You want to talk about being called spoiled.  These other fans in these cities are envious of us.  They just want to win.  I think disappointed is a better word.  We really need to appreciate what we have. 

117hd79.jpg

#11 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

Actually, that sounds like a game of semantics. Spoiled or accustomed sounds pretty much the same, except the former makes us sound like babies. Regardless, an 8-8 season is not a good season, particularly the way we got there. I do not think it is just the season, it is the lackluster play by the team and performance of the coaching staff. Had the team played hard and lost hard fought close games, I do not think we would be seeing so many "accustomed" fans.

Hardly semantics cause those two words mean entirely two different things.

#Mili

Edited by Militant X 1, 07 February 2014 - 08:21 PM.

Militant X 1

- Mike Tomlin

#12 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

I think you can be both - going to the playoffs 5 seasons in a row, you should be accustomed to and expect to win.  However, I don't think that gives people the right to start talking about firing this coach and that coach and this coach is coaching for his job or whatnot after missing the playoffs by a game or two.  Going 8-8 while being down 3 of 4 starting receivers from last year, and without the starting running back for a while is a major accomplishment.  Was this season a failure, in terms of our expectations to go back to the playoffs, yes.  

But at the same time we as fans should understand that we can't make the postseason every year, we play in a division that is historically very strong and has 4 Superbowl appearances with 3 victories since 2005.  What we should expect from this fan base is that this team, from the front office down, will try to do its best to field a competitive team year in and year out, and when a mistake has been made e.g. getting rid of a major playmaker without having a really solid backup plan in mind, the front office will go out there and try to rectify it.  And especially this fan base, I think, should not always focus it's attention on a handful of players and say they are the sole purpose for our failures.  

This is a team game, and this year we did not field the kind of team that could compete when it counted the most.  I expect that next year we will have a team that can do so much better.  Now if it continues next year, and the efforts were not made in the offseason to correct mistakes, then there should be some concern.  However, I think the appropriate steps have already begun - this team recognized a failure on the offensive side of the ball of significant proportions, so they went out and hired a new OC, new QB coach, parted ways with a guy who's been here almost 15 years and two other guys who've been here 6 years, and brought in some newer, perhaps more innovative, coaches who can offer a different perspective.  If they'd stayed the course with the offensive pieces, then there would be a right to complain, I think, but at this point Ravens fans should be quite pleased, IMO, with the steps the front office has taken the last few weeks.

Edited by Ravenslifer, 07 February 2014 - 07:45 PM.

#13 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

I think you can be both - going to the playoffs 5 seasons in a row, you should be accustomed to and expect to win.  However, I don't think that gives people the right to start talking about firing this coach and that coach and this coach is coaching for his job or whatnot after missing the playoffs by a game or two.  Going 8-8 while being down 3 of 4 starting receivers from last year, and without the starting running back for a while is a major accomplishment.  Was this season a failure, in terms of our expectations to go back to the playoffs, yes.  

But at the same time we as fans should understand that we can't make the postseason every year, we play in a division that is historically very strong and has 4 Superbowl appearances with 3 victories since 2005.  What we should expect from this fan base is that this team, from the front office down, will try to do its best to field a competitive team year in and year out, and when a mistake has been made e.g. getting rid of a major playmaker without having a really solid backup plan in mind, the front office will go out there and try to rectify it.  And especially this fan base, I think, should not always focus it's attention on a handful of players and say they are the sole purpose for our failures.  

This is a team game, and this year we did not field the kind of team that could compete when it counted the most.  I expect that next year we will have a team that can do so much better.  Now if it continues next year, and the efforts were not made in the offseason to correct mistakes, then there should be some concern.  However, I think the appropriate steps have already begun - this team recognized a failure on the offensive side of the ball of significant proportions, so they went out and hired a new OC, new QB coach, parted ways with a guy who's been here almost 15 years and two other guys who've been here 6 years, and brought in some newer, perhaps more innovative, coaches who can offer a different perspective.  If they'd stayed the course with the offensive pieces, then there would be a right to complain, I think, but at this point Ravens fans should be quite pleased, IMO, with the steps the front office has taken the last few weeks.

Agreed!

#Mili

Militant X 1

- Mike Tomlin

#14 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

Some fans are spoiled, some are accustom.

A lot of it has to do with WHEN you became a fan.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#15 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Some fans are spoiled, some are accustom.

A lot of it has to do with WHEN you became a fan.

Elaborate a little further on this K-Dog.

#Mili

Edited by Militant X 1, 07 February 2014 - 09:37 PM.

Militant X 1

- Mike Tomlin

#16 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

It's hard to gage the character of a fanbase based on message board posts. People tend to be overly dramatic on the internet, which doesn't represent any kind of reality.

I can say, that some of the assumptions and posts that were made about Harbaugh and Flacco, who were both instrumental in our run of making the playoffs 5 times in a row, were pretty digusting. I do think, that some of it is understandable, because it proves those people care about the franchise, but turning on players like for example Ray Rice, who has contributed to the team for a long time, is not what fandom should be all about. Some loyalty towards the team should be expected.

bJNF689.jpg

#17 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

#Mili

In my opinion.
Fans who jumped on the Ravens band wagon with in the past five years seem to be a bit more spoiled.

Fans who have been around since 96 and have seen a few horrific seasons here and there seem to take this past seasons 8-8 a bit more in stride.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#18 HoldingCall

HoldingCall

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:53 PM

I expect fans to express disappointment in a large variety of ways because they are a mixture and variety of personalities. 

Also, I think it's within reason to suspect that $$ betting and fantasy football may possibly fuel some post and attitudes. So, along with accustomed and spoiled maybe they were broke too.

#19 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

#Mili

im gonna guess hes saying that the fans that hopped on the bandwagon when joe and harbs came, have never experienced a season without the playoffs as fans of this team, the people who have stuck through the kyle boller and qb carousel days have experienced the tough seasons before

#20 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:29 AM

I don't think there's much spoiled about the team losing just short of the SB four straight years, but finally breaking through and winning it after 5 years sure is satisfying.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users