Ravenskid52752

Mike Preston saga - him versus PR guys?

82 posts in this topic

Yea he is not going to change his tune. I don't know if he lied, maybe some people told him things that were not true, or he is inferring some things that maybe were not really said. I know a lot of people on 105.7 were saying this same thing, that there was "no question" harbs was not involved in this hiring of Kubiak. Hell I heard a commercial for one of The Fan's radio shows, in which they were replaying how there was no way Harbs was involved in this and the organization stepped in, so its not just Preston. 

None of us know what happened behind closed doors, but Byrne's story makes complete sense and seems like how I would see the hiring process playing out. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that Kubiak was still hopping to get a head coach gig. We were not going to wait around and see if he decided to be an offensive coordinator, so we had our field narrowed down. Its not like we were rushing to make a decision, we probably were waiting for all the head coach jobs to fill before making the decision and when they did, there was Kubiak.

Yea he is not going to change his tune. I don't know if he lied, maybe some people told him things that were not true, or he is inferring some things that maybe were not really said. I know a lot of people on 105.7 were saying this same thing, that there was "no question" harbs was not involved in this hiring of Kubiak. Hell I heard a commercial for one of The Fan's radio shows, in which they were replaying how there was no way Harbs was involved in this and the organization stepped in, so its not just Preston. 

None of us know what happened behind closed doors, but Byrne's story makes complete sense and seems like how I would see the hiring process playing out. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that Kubiak was still hopping to get a head coach gig. We were not going to wait around and see if he decided to be an offensive coordinator, so we had our field narrowed down. Its not like we were rushing to make a decision, we probably were waiting for all the head coach jobs to fill before making the decision and when they did, there was Kubiak.

agree.

"A friend of mine in the organization" is Preston's source. Just laughable.

Him and Ken Wineman needs to get their butt out of MD.

"A friend of mine in the organization" is Preston's source. Just laughable.

Him and Ken Wineman needs to get their butt out of MD.

LOL what's so bad about Weinman? I have never really heard anything that ridiculous out of him. I personally like both he and Preston, Preston is just very confidently wrong on a lot of occasions. Although I would say his football analysis is pretty decent at times. He's kind of like a Baltimore National Enquirer writer. He will get people stirring, and usually wrong, but can be right now and then. 

My thing about the preston story is Kubiak wasn't attached or rumored for any OC position.  So it makes sense Harbaugh didn't think he was available.

My thing about the preston story is Kubiak wasn't attached or rumored for any OC position.  So it makes sense Harbaugh didn't think he was available.

I agree that whats done is done, but in the press conference Harbs mentioned that they met at the beginning of the search and thought things wouldn't work well.

I feel like it was because Kubiak wanted to bring over his boys and Harbs wasn't ready to give in to that. Either way our offense is going to destroy Pittsburgh.

The true story is probably in between, but given Preston's track record, the organization's track record, and Kevin Byrne's awesomeness, I'm very inclined to believe that the true story is closer to what the PR guys are saying. It just matches up better with the timeline. 

In the words of Rhett Butler, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a hoot." The story I heard was that Harbs called the Texans' OC, Rick Dennison, to ask him for a reference on Kyle Shanahan and Dennison let it be known that Kubiak was interested in the position. The selection of Kubiak over Shanahan boiled down to hiring the teacher versus the student. It sounds reasonable to me. Having said that, I was wondering why Kubiak was not in the discussion all along. Once Shanahan had two interviews and wasn't offered the job, it made me think that someone else was in the mix. In the final analysis, it doesn't matter. Even if Mike Preston's story is true, who really cares? We got the best man for the job! The Cleveland games will certainly take on a lot more meaning this year.  

I find it weird. Does the guy want to hate on Harbaugh, or the Ravens? And if so why, if he is a writer in Baltimore or maybe a 'fan'. 

Kubiak was by far the biggest name on the market available for OC, and many thought he'd only take a HC job. He's got a stacked resume as an OC and has done it with many different players. We're lucky to have been able to lure the guy to Baltimore. And Harbaugh was 'forced' to do this? Hah, ridiculous. 

The true story is probably in between, but given Preston's track record, the organization's track record, and Kevin Byrne's awesomeness, I'm very inclined to believe that the true story is closer to what the PR guys are saying. It just matches up better with the timeline.

if I was to say my opinion.

Harbs wanted our wr coach. Bisciotti said, suggested not to rush and look elsewhere first. This preston has taken to mean bisciotti said no, and overruled, whereas in reality it was a suggestion. Harbs looked elsewhere, and they came down to kyle and our wr coach. Harbs prob still wanted our wr coach bisciotti wanted kyle.

Harbs then rings Dennison. Here, i dont believe it was to ask about kyle and he says well kubes wants a job. I think thats bull. I dono why or how that phone call happened but in the end they got it.

I firmly believe harbs wanted hostler, bisciotti and ozzie suggested due diligence on others available and preston has took this to be a no your not getting ur guy ur hiring who we want. When its really just a slow down we aren't in a hurry, look at every available person then pick from there

Ultimately who cares - there was similar speculation after 2011 when Cam was retained and Jim was hired, that Steve wanted to make a change then, but compromised to keep Cam if they got Joe an individual position coach.  The same thing was said after the game before Cam was fired, that Steve was ready to fire him then and there, but Harbs interceded for one more week. We really don't know what's true or what's not.  What is true is that Preston has been known to print less than flattering articles about the Ravens from the time he first got here.  It goes back to the Billick days, and it might even go back further but I really don't remember.  What I do know is that year in and year out, regardless of what we do, Preston writes that he's never sold on the Ravens, and how much of that is truth vs. something to drum up readership is anyone's guess.  But again, who cares why changes were made - I guarantee this, if they get the kinds of results I'm expecting, nobody in the organization is going to care why they happened.

Im inclined to believe Harbaugh wanted Hostler in some capacity.  But there is no denying everyone thought Kubiak was off the market for an OC position.

Hopefully when it became known that Kubiak would be interested in Baltimore's OC spot Harbaugh made the move.

if I was to say my opinion.

Harbs wanted our wr coach. Bisciotti said, suggested not to rush and look elsewhere first. This preston has taken to mean bisciotti said no, and overruled, whereas in reality it was a suggestion. Harbs looked elsewhere, and they came down to kyle and our wr coach. Harbs prob still wanted our wr coach bisciotti wanted kyle.

Harbs then rings Dennison. Here, i dont believe it was to ask about kyle and he says well kubes wants a job. I think thats bull. I dono why or how that phone call happened but in the end they got it.

I firmly believe harbs wanted hostler, bisciotti and ozzie suggested due diligence on others available and preston has took this to be a no your not getting ur guy ur hiring who we want. When its really just a slow down we aren't in a hurry, look at every available person then pick from there

This is pretty much how I see it too.

I believe Preston's side to be closer to the truth. He's been disparaged by the club's paid writers, coaches and fan base on numerous occasions only to come out vindicated after the dust settled. 

It's in the clubs best interest to lie to protect Harbaugh from being perceived as a neutered lame duck by some on the team. What's in it for Preston to lie?  It only makes his job and good standing in dealing with the team more difficult.

While I appreciate the informative and sometimes entertaining articles I take anything the shills on this site write with a grain of salt.  It's smart business acumen to understand where the bread is buttered.

I enjoy the Byrne identify but understand much of it is PR oriented slanting of the actual facts.

The truth will surface.

Edited by Hardbaugh

Does anyone seriously think Harbaugh would select Hostler over Kubiak? The likely scenario is that Kubiak was waiting to see if he would land a HC job before thinking about an OC position and when he became available he was the obvious choice.

LMAO at all of the perceived drama!

Edited by Tank 92

Being from Baltimore this isn't anything new to me. The Ravens PR staff did the samething ( panick mode )for Brian when Mike reported he had lost the team. Btw....If you have no idea who Mike Preston is you must be a new Ravens fan or jump on the bandwagon when we drafted Flacco & Rice.....

Does anyone seriously think Harbaugh would select Hostler over Kubiak? The likely scenario is that Kubiak was waiting to see if he would land a HC job before thinking about an OC position and when he became available he was the obvious choice.

initally, yes. I firmly believe harbs would have appointed hostler without even looking to the market. Much like Jim last year. And this is where I think bisciotti stepped in and said its a marathon not a sprint. Look at the market.

That he did and he ended up liking what he heard from kubes and thus picked him

initally, yes. I firmly believe harbs would have appointed hostler without even looking to the market. Much like Jim last year. And this is where I think bisciotti stepped in and said its a marathon not a sprint. Look at the market.

That he did and he ended up liking what he heard from kubes and thus picked him

This is likely exactly what happened.  Harbaugh, wanting to show it didn't matter to him who was on the market, was going to be loyal to the guys he had, would have selected Hostler the day after Caldwell left.

Bisciotti likely said why make a rash decision, no one is going to take Hostler from the staff, so just wait. See what happens.

I think Preston was right on.
This wasnt Harbs best decision making year, paying D Reed then cutting him, letting Boldin, Pollard and even Rainey go after losing R.Lewis and Ed Reed, our leadership, which I feel was the dumbest thing we did since getting rid of Dilfer after our last SB.

I hate to say it, but ego and stubbornness from the coaching staff over the years, has really hurt us.
I look at Cam Cameron and all he had to do was start using the middle of the field in slants and crosses, and that would have made our Offense a top 10 offense, To this day I still havent heard the reason why he hardly ever did.

And what pissed me off the most about that, was that Harbaugh kept letting him do the same darn predictable out patterns, and passing plays. And if Steve didnt step in, it would still be happening. Then we can Cam, start using the middle of the field and bam, win the sb! Why couldnt Harbs see that that nneded to be done? Why as HC couldnt he get some good advice from somebody and have Cam add those passing plays?? I mean we had complaint thread after complaint thread for the longest time....you all remember that, it was like pulling teeth. Somebody needed to beat him over the head!!! Lol

But that didnt last as Harbs had to go and mess with system and bring in Castillo. Gosh dont get me started....I almost think Harbaugh has blinders on to what is going on here successfully versus what was unsuccessful.
So Steve had to step in again with Kubes, and to save face, and for some unknown reason he was able to keep Castillo as a concession. Then our PR guys had to spin this new situation in a different direction so Harbs doesnt look like a complete idiot, and I dont blame them for doing it. Bottom line, I am seriously starting to doubt Harbaughs ability to make correct personnel decisions that are best for the Team.

This wasnt Harbs best decision making year, paying D Reed then cutting him, letting Boldin, Pollard and even Rainey go after losing R.Lewis and Ed Reed, our leadership, which I feel was the dumbest thing we did since getting rid of Dilfer after our last SB.

I hate to say it, but ego and stubbornness from the coaching staff over the years, has really hurt us.

I look at Cam Cameron and all he had to do was start using the middle of the field in slants and crosses, and that would have made our Offense a top 10 offense, To this day I still havent heard the reason why he hardly ever did.

And what pissed me off the most about that, was that Harbaugh kept letting him do the same darn predictable out patterns, and passing plays. And if Steve didnt step in, it would still be happening. Then we can Cam, start using the middle of the field and bam, win the sb! Why couldnt Harbs see that that nneded to be done? Why as HC couldnt he get some good advice from somebody and have Cam add those passing plays?? I mean we had complaint thread after complaint thread for the longest time....you all remember that, it was like pulling teeth. Somebody needed to beat him over the head!!! Lol

But that didnt last as Harbs had to go and mess with system and bring in Castillo. Gosh dont get me started....I almost think Harbaugh has blinders on to what is going on here successfully versus what was unsuccessful.

So Steve had to step in again with Kubes, and to save face, and for some unknown reason he was able to keep Castillo as a concession. Then our PR guys had to spin this new situation in a different direction so Harbs doesnt look like a complete idiot, and I dont blame them for doing it. Bottom line, I am seriously starting to doubt Harbaughs ability to make correct personnel decisions that are best for the Team.

Do you really not understand the difference between the HC and the GM?

Actually, after reading the text of your post probably not

What a joke.

Look GF, you are the biggest Harbapologist here. I never counter you when you are wrong, I just wait for the consessions at the seasons end, like when from Day 1 in the beginning of the season you slammed me and others for pointing out the Boldin Pollard mistake.

Think what you want, free country

Look GF, you are the biggest Harbapologist here. I never counter you when you are wrong, I just wait for the consessions at the seasons end, like when from Day 1 in the beginning of the season you slammed me and others for pointing out the Boldin Pollard mistake.

Do I need to spell it out for you? Ozzie makes personnel decisions. That's the GM's job.

Choosing the staff? Now that's the HC's job.

I wouldn't taken kevins as gospel either. Hes the pr guy. The truth probably in between

This

yes he would he still has Castillo as our oline coach and andy moller our superbowl winning oline coach is gone it also took Steve to tell john to fire cam ? So im sure its not a stretch to believe that john wanted hostler even by him being a Canadian with a sorry resume

But that didnt last as Harbs had to go and mess with system and bring in Castillo. Gosh dont get me started....I almost think Harbaugh has blinders on to what is going on here successfully versus what was unsuccessful.

I second this

The Idea that Harbaugh was forced to fired Cam Cameron by the Ravens owner is pure speculation  and nothing more. James Ihedigbo was better than Pollard last year, Bobby Rainey wouldn't have change our o-line from sucking as run blocker and the only player we really missed was Boldin .  The reason why the Ravens re-signed David Reed was because he was a solid kick returner and the Ravens coaches believed he could be a a solid slot receiver for them but he unfortunately was injuried during training camp and missed some games in the preseason. 

Harbaugh not the first head coach in the NFl  whom had  a offensive coordinator calling predictable plays. I said it before but we was going to the playoffs with Cam Cameron and  almost made it to the super bowl  if certain players like Lee Evans, Billy Cundiff, T.J Houshmanzadeh and etc had not screwed up.  I'm not saying Cam Cameron didn't have his faults but im sure its hard for a head coach to tell his  offensive coordinator to change his ways of playing calling when you overall have been to countless playoffs with this guy and came  very close to making the super bowl but came up short due to situation that can't be the blame of   the offensive coordinator.

When the Ravens lost against The Redskins  it was just the final straw for Cam and during the game they even showed Harbaugh and Cam having a heated argument . The Ravens were in endanger of missing the playoffs after losing against The Redskins and I feel like Harbaugh just said  thats it Cam has to go. Castillo was a highly respected offensive line coach and I honestly can understand why he was hired but for some reasons the offensive line men couldn't adjust well to his way of coaching.

Does that mean Castillo did a bad job? You can say yes but does that means they won't get it together next year ? No .  The idea that you feel like Biscotti had to step in and tell Harbaugh to fired Cam and hire Kubiak doesn't make sense especially when they gave Harbaugh a contract extension .  Harbaugh suppose to be this stubborn and hard headed guy that can't make correct personnel decision but yet we won a super bowl with him and only missed the playoffs once in the  past six years he has been here.  

If  Bisciotti has to tell Harbaugh I got this because I don't think you know what's best for the team then I don't understand why he still here. If Bisciotti sees Harbaugh as a head coach that doesn't make correct personnel decisions then there's no reason for him to be the head coach. If Bisciotti really was heavily involved  in the hiring  of Gary Kubiak then I hope he's involve in this year draft because Ozzie doesn't really have a good history in drafting good receivers besides Torrey Smith and we need another good receiver  bad.

“The acquisitions of Elvis Dumervil and Michael Huff are a direct result of the money we saved from that contract,” Newsome said. “And other guys we got—Chris Canty, Marcus Spears, Daryl Smith—were helped by the savings. So if you ask the question, you can’t just say, ‘Do you wish you kept him?’ You also have to look at the unintended consequences of your actions.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/12/newsome-was-willing-to-move-boldin-to-fix-defense/

HC =/= GM

Do you really not understand the difference between the HC and the GM?

Actually, after reading the text of your post probably not

What a joke.

Crazy, isn't it? Now I know what the Patriots message board must be like. :D

Before Harbaugh the Ravens were in the playoffs every other season. Now we just missed the playoffs for the first time in 6 seasons with Harbaugh. That's in a rebuilding season and we just missed it barely.

If believing Preston means believing that John Harbaugh is incompetent, than I choose to disagree with Mike Preston.

There was no Pollard mistake.

Boldin in hindsight, possibly because of how awful Huff was and useless Spears and Canty proved.  But you can't know that at the time.

What I still can't figure out is why some people blame Harbaugh for the personnel decisions that they don't like, and give Ozzie all the credit for the decisions that they do like.  For instance, we're speculating that Pollard being let go was a Harbs move because he "can't handle big personalities."  Well he's dealt with those personalities his entire tenure here, and by that logic, why does he not get credit for bringing him here in the first place?

Ed Reeds play declined almost every year during Harbs' tenure, but that didn't stop him from speaking out in the media many times.  There was the "feeling disrespected" issue that came up a few times, then there was the "calling out Joe Flacco" after the playoff win over the Texans because the offense sucked.  Yet it took a drastic overpay by another team for us to get rid of him, not John trying to distance himself from him.  Not to mention that guys like Rice, Suggs and others have been playing here for a while, and they're outspoken.  Mason too, and he was cut due to cap reasons, not because of John.

But the worst thing is the idea that he "inherited a great situation."  You mean a 5-11 team with a mess at QB and an offense that overall was devoid of talent minus a few players?  And a weak secondary?  That it was only a great situation because Ray Lewis and Ed Reed could cure all.  Well the problem is, those guys had losing seasons before John got here, so clearly they aren't the be-all-end-all of the Ravens. 

What responsibilities as a HC does John have now that he didn't have when those two were here?  Has his role as a HC expanded since those guys parted?  The answers are NONE and NO.

But the worst thing is the idea that he "inherited a great situation."  You mean a 5-11 team with a mess at QB and an offense that overall was devoid of talent minus a few players?  And a weak secondary?  That it was only a great situation because Ray Lewis and Ed Reed could cure all.  Well the problem is, those guys had losing seasons before John got here, so clearly they aren't the be-all-end-all of the Ravens. 

What responsibilities as a HC does John have now that he didn't have when those two were here?  Has his role as a HC expanded since those guys parted?  The answers are NONE and NO.

It all goes back to that 2000 season. We had one all time great defense and it was gone after that one season. Yet, there are a lot of people, who still like to believe, that this IS what the Ravens are and not just one season, that never came back.

That's why some "fans" still regard Harbaugh as this "care taker" of an already great team.

The same goes for people undervaluing Flacco's impact on the team's success: "Joe Flacco won the SB? Dude, did you forget that even Trent Dilfer won the SB with the Ravens?"

Edited by PolishRifle

There shouldn't be any criticism of a coach that has done what he has for the thus far for the ravens. That's very telling to me. Harbaugh isn't well liked, ism one of them. I think it's his attitude. To me he comes across a stubborn, pig headed, ignorant at times the way he answers questions, by that I mean rude, ignorant rude. Seems like a bit of an butt, just someone I cannot like. Probably, in saying all that, traits that are needed to be a good head coach.

I think even his biggest supporters could probably admit he's the kind of guy they'd never like in the real world

Pollard really hasn't done much since leaving.  Boldin was done to clear cap space - it became a problem, not because he was  trade, but because the front office did a very poor job evaluating the in-house talent they had to replace him.  They had an opportunity, in this year's draft, to take DeAndre Hopkins, Robert Woods, or Keenan Allen - any one of those 3, IMO, would have mitigated the Boldin loss.  Their expectation was for Pitta to take Boldin's receptions and somehow for Dickson to replace Pitta in terms of production (something I still can't understand given that Dickson has always shown he is talented but unreliable).  And Harbaugh had probably very little to do with the Boldin trade - the front office, Ozzie, Eric, Joe, and Pat, make the majority of the influence in those kinds of decisions.  John has some input, but ultimately he works with the talent the front office guys give him, not the other way around, so blaming him for the majority of the Boldin trade is probably unfair. So for anyone to start blaming Harbs and Harbs alone for certain players leaving, especially Mike Preston who none of the people at the Castle actually talk to, is a bit much.

There shouldn't be any criticism of a coach that has done what he has for the thus far for the ravens. That's very telling to me. Harbaugh isn't well liked, ism one of them. I think it's his attitude. To me he comes across a stubborn, pig headed, ignorant at times the way he answers questions, by that I mean rude, ignorant rude. Seems like a bit of an butt, just someone I cannot like. Probably, in saying all that, traits that are needed to be a good head coach.

I think even his biggest supporters could probably admit he's the kind of guy they'd never like in the real world

Head Coaches aren't exactly great people.

Head Coaches aren't exactly great people.

I did say that. I think thats where alot of the hate comes. He's just not a likeable person. Same as flacco, a lot dont like his personality and thus can never get behind him.

With harbs I think people dislike him and therefore his coaching. But the reason people dislike him is the same reason he is good at what he does

What I still can't figure out is why some people blame Harbaugh for the personnel decisions that they don't like, and give Ozzie all the credit for the decisions that they do like.  For instance, we're speculating that Pollard being let go was a Harbs move because he "can't handle big personalities."  Well he's dealt with those personalities his entire tenure here, and by that logic, why does he not get credit for bringing him here in the first place?

Ed Reeds play declined almost every year during Harbs' tenure, but that didn't stop him from speaking out in the media many times.  There was the "feeling disrespected" issue that came up a few times, then there was the "calling out Joe Flacco" after the playoff win over the Texans because the offense sucked.  Yet it took a drastic overpay by another team for us to get rid of him, not John trying to distance himself from him.  Not to mention that guys like Rice, Suggs and others have been playing here for a while, and they're outspoken.  Mason too, and he was cut due to cap reasons, not because of John.

I agree with everything except you said our secondary was weak. I think they had a lot of injuries in 2007 but they still had McAllister, Samari Rolle, and Ed Reed. I could be wrong since it was 6 years ago(in fact I probably am wrong) but I thought that was one of the better parts of the team.

I have to disagree with this. I know a few people who have met Harbaugh and they all tell me that he is a great classy guy. I wouldn't go up to him and talk about football outside his work(understandable since you probably would not like random people coming up to you and asking about your job) but I hear he is a classy guy. I think most people get their hate towards coaches through watching their interviews with the media. Frankly, that is not how they all are, it is just them trying to keep as much as they can from the media and discourage any of the prodding questions. With all the accusations that the media makes, it is no wonder most coaches and a very high percentage of players act the way they do around the cameras. Watch some Pop interviews in NBA games and realize that Pop is not that type of guy to his players or outside the sport. Even guys like Belichick and Jim Harbaugh are not like that in real life. It is just what you have to do with the media these days. Granted the media has to do their job too but there are times where things just get completely overplayed. And Harbaugh is not even that bad in his interviews compared to other people anyways, I think that people in the NFL as a whole like to put the blame on the coaches and QBs since it is easier than finding the actual problem. If Harbs were as bad as everyone says he is, then he would not be here right now and I doubt that we would have won the Super Bowl last year either. I don't know I just don't see why Harbaugh gets the hate he gets sometimes after all that we have gone through with him.

I think even his biggest supporters could probably admit he's the kind of guy they'd never like in the real world.

You sad he doesn't appreciate the media lol?  Imagine getting all those questions every single day.  Be happy he isn't John Tortorella when it comes to the media.

Heres a clean version.

Edited by Bltravens
Video removed due to language.

Now we're questioning Harbs as a person? Wow! I've listened to dozens of interviews with him. When they still had training camp at McDaniel, I saw that he was really friendly with the fans and he interacted with them. He's a funny guy. High character and high class. I find him a likable person. I'd have a drink with him. Watch his interview with WNST a week or so ago and then revisit this. He's a cool dude.

I agree with everything except you said our secondary was weak. I think they had a lot of injuries in 2007 but they still had McAllister, Samari Rolle, and Ed Reed. I could be wrong since it was 6 years ago(in fact I probably am wrong) but I thought that was one of the better parts of the team.

True, I'll give you that.  But McAlister and Rolle weren't quite the same the next year.

Edited by RavensAllTheWay

I did say that. I think thats where alot of the hate comes. He's just not a likeable person. Same as flacco, a lot dont like his personality and thus can never get behind him.

With harbs I think people dislike him and therefore his coaching. But the reason people dislike him is the same reason he is good at what he does

Don't think I could ever hold a conversation with Mike Shanahan. 

Now we're questioning Harbs as a person? Wow! I've listened to dozens of interviews with him. When they still had training camp at McDaniel, I saw that he was really friendly with the fans and he interacted with them. He's a funny guy. High character and high class. I find him a likable person. I'd have a drink with him. Watch his interview with WNST a week or so ago and then revisit this. He's a cool dude.

well this board is split entirely 50 50 on him. It can't be his coaching because hes turned us into a winner, same for flacco. So why is it people hate them both so much. Has to be personality.

I believe Preston's side to be closer to the truth. He's been disparaged by the club's paid writers, coaches and fan base on numerous occasions only to come out vindicated after the dust settled. 

It's in the clubs best interest to lie to protect Harbaugh from being perceived as a neutered lame duck by some on the team. What's in it for Preston to lie?  It only makes his job and good standing in dealing with the team more difficult.

While I appreciate the informative and sometimes entertaining articles I take anything the shills on this site write with a grain of salt.  It's smart business acumen to understand where the bread is buttered.

I enjoy the Byrne identify but understand much of it is PR oriented slanting of the actual facts.

The truth will surface.

First - I will say I don't think that Preston is lying .... that would mean he has factual information about this matter and decided to report to the contrary. Bascially, he is taking in what information is available and then filling in the holes with what suits his agenda or with what will make for an intriging story.

So - instead, I'll answer the question, "What is in it for Preston to write a controversial story?". The same thing that is in for any writer to write a controversial story. We're sitting here talking about him. It makes him relevant to some degree. It buys him publicity ... some good, some bad, but publicity nonetheless.

First - I will say I don't think that Preston is lying .... that would mean he has factual information about this matter and decided to report to the contrary. Bascially, he is taking in what information is available and then filling in the holes with what suits his agenda or with what will make for an intriging story.

So - instead, I'll answer the question, "What is in it for Preston to write a controversial story?". The same thing that is in for any writer to write a controversial story. We're sitting here talking about him. It makes him relevant to some degree. It buys him publicity ... some good, some bad, but publicity nonetheless.

Yeah, that's basically what a good columnist does. A good columnist stirs the pot and starts a discussion.

By that definition, Preston's pretty good. He's not always factual but he's a good columnist, when the facts are there.

Edited by The Raven

I think the truth lies somewhere between Kevin's and Preston's versions. I don't think Harbaugh ever reached out to Kubiak or considered him when the interviews began. Once it got to interviewing Houston's O-coordinator for the position, it may have come out that Kubiak may also be available. 

While conjecture, it is entirely possible that Steve was perhaps in on this interview/discussion with Denison and after the fact, may have casually suggested that Kubiak would sure be a nice O-coordinator if available. Other than that, I don't think any pressure was put on Harbaugh to hire Kubiak. But, Harbaugh was smart enough to reach out to Kubiak and hire him when he found out he could get along with him and the fact that Kubiak would bring a lot to the table.

In truth, I really don't care at this point. Harbaugh is our Head Coach and I love that the guy I wanted to be our coordinator is now our coordinator! Both are great fits at their respective positions. Harbaugh can manage the team and Kubiak can take over the offense.

Edited by ellicottraven