Training Camp      Stadium Practices     

Watch LIVE Press Conferences Saturday at 4:00 pm ET

Jerry Rosburg, Gary Kubiak, and Dean Pees will address the media following training camp practice.
*Time is subject to change
Close

Photo

Ravens hire Bobby Engram as new WR coach

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

Would this be a good hire for the growth of our receivers and to our upcoming draft?

Engram has tremendous experiences as a player; he played for the Bears for 5 season and put up okay numbers as receiver, 8 seasons with seahawks reaching first 1000 yard in his career, and retired in 2009. 

He has 1 year experience in NFL as offensive assistant coach, and then went off in coaching in college as WR coach of Pittsburgh Panthers.

I'm not sure Engram's short resume as coaching would help our WR department, but time will tell about this hire.......

2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#2 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

No this is terrible. Who is going to teach Tyler Boyd if Engram's leaving?

#3 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

Engram was an assistant with the 49ers in 2011.  Do I smell a Harbuddy by family association?  :268213:

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#4 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

No this is terrible. Who is going to teach Tyler Boyd if Engram's leaving?

Engram, we can tag this kid's broken record of Larry Fitzgerald.....

2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#5 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

Not against it. At least he played the position at the NFL level and understands what it takes. It's a hell of a lot better then Hostler. I'm actually optimistic about taking a WR that might need a little bit of coaching.

#6 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

Not against it. At least he played the position at the NFL level and understands what it takes. It's a hell of a lot better then Hostler. I'm actually optimistic about taking a WR that might need a little bit of coaching.

I like the young coaches coming in.  Makes me optimistic

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#7 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

I like this a heck of a lot more than getting the Texans WR coach

1Untitled_zps8afd95ac.pngbench_zps0a7ce32d.jpg

#8 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

I like it.  I think it's good to have someone that knows the demands at the NFL level.  I don't know much about how good of a coach he is, but I like the idea of thinking outside of the box a bit.

Proud Owner/GM/Coach of the Portland Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

#9 Florida Ravens Fan

Florida Ravens Fan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

Would of preferred D. Mason.
Posted Image

#10 SuggsBarber

SuggsBarber

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

Would of preferred D. Mason.

This.I was holding out hope for him too.He was Raven toughness at the receiver position before Boldin.

#11 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

This.I was holding out hope for him too.He was Raven toughness at the receiver position before Boldin.

He was more than just a tough guy.His route running,foot quickness and overall footwork was INCREDIBLE.If he could teach that footwork to a speedy guy like Smith or a 6 foot 5 guy like Brown he would turn them into a top 5 wr.But since that's not gonna happen lets just hope Bobby Engram can turn our guys into route running beast.

Edited by HomeoftheBRAVENS, 07 February 2014 - 04:30 PM.

#12 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

I loved Mason as much as the rest of you guys but Im not sure why you guys wanted him as a WR coach so badly when he has never coached before, all I read in the site's article yesterday were people bemoaning us not hiring Mason and its in this thread again already. Im not saying Mase couldn't be a successful coach, but when I saw Hostler leaving I wanted a guy who had been an NFL receiver for the job which is why I too was intrigued by the idea floating around for Mason as a WR coach. Well Engram's pro career was largely similar to Mason's (Mase had what, one 1,000 yard season in Tennessee before joining the Ravens?) and both were not the most blessed physically but savvy route runners not afraid to get into the middle of field to make tough catches. Now we have a guy who not only can bring similar knowledge to our young guys but also already has some coaching experience as opposed to starting a new job with none of that to draw upon. Its a home run hire as far as Im concerned but time will tell I suppose.

Edited by Corvus, 07 February 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#13 I-70WestRaven

I-70WestRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

We could have done worse. I liked Mason, but I think it's an emotional thing. Young, with experience, coaching and playing, worth a shot and fits the mold of the changes we are making.
The Baltimore Ravens! 'Nuff said!!

#14 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,435 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

I like Mason too, and I would have interviewed him, but Engram is a proven quantity as a coach. It's a safer decision.

#15 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

He was more than just a tough guy.His route running,foot quickness and overall footwork was INCREDIBLE.If he could teach that footwork to a speedy guy like Smith or a 6 foot 5 guy like Brown he would turn them into a top 5 wr.But since that's not gonna happen lets just hope Bobby Engram can turn our guys into route running beast.

Engram was also known as a good route runner when he played.  And as far as Mase, Mase said he would "think about it" if he was asked, according to the article.  We don't really know if that meant he was asked, thought about it, and decided this was not the right time.  It could have been simply that Engram said yes, while Mase said maybe, and the front office didn't want to wait.

#16 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

The desired talents of a position coach are that of being a teacher and it seems that is where the Ravens have placed importance when looking at resumes. While Mase was a decent receiver he has no track record of being able to teach others in a coaching capacity. For me, hiring Engram and Hammock will prove to be wise decisions.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#17 Inqui

Inqui

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:51 AM

The desired talents of a position coach are that of being a teacher and it seems that is where the Ravens have placed importance when looking at resumes. While Mase was a decent receiver he has no track record of being able to teach others in a coaching capacity. For me, hiring Engram and Hammock will prove to be wise decisions.

This. You hear of terrible players becoming great coaches and you hear of great players becoming terrible coaches. You also hear of great players who turn out to be useless GMs (Matt Millen and Michael Jordan walk into a bar...) and it's basically the same thing: playing, coaching and management are all distinctly different things.

Proud Jerry Jones equivalent of The Rains of Castamere

#18 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:36 AM

has this been made official then?

#19 Bruce_Almty

Bruce_Almty

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

Engram will receive his baptism under fire. Everyone knows Baltimore needs pass catchers, we have WRs & TEs on the roster but they can't catch the football, gain separation or maintain focus. The previous coaches have not developed their talent so Engram will have an early opportunity to shine & prove his worth.

#20 indianstick

indianstick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

I like this hire, we obviously looked at various candidates and bobby engram seemed to be a good fit. The problem last year with our passing game stemmed from joe having zero time and the lack of overall talent in the wr core. marlon brown and jacoby jones were great at times when they were healthy but we definitely need another wr and i cant wait to see who it is.

We will see how the whole kubiak offense will look next year and engram just has to do his job. I think ex players have a good chance of being good coaches and both him and Thomas hammock have both done great jobs coaching their positions. Hopefully one of them can coach an offense once kubiak leaves

Edited by indianstick, 10 February 2014 - 12:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users