Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BmoreBird22

WR Sidney Rice

33 posts in this topic

He's likely a cap cut by the Seahawks due to an enormous cap number.

He has struggled with injuries, but in his one fill season as a starter with Brett Favre, he lit it up (and the Ravens in the process). He dropped off in Seattle due to them not being a heavy pass team. Couple that with injuries and he may not come too expensive. He'd be an awesome complimentary piece and might stop the need for a receiver so early. What do you all think?

I wouldn't mind the Ravens giving him  a shot if he's signed but he's definitely a risk because of his durability issues.

I don't want him. Waste of a roster spot and waste of a season on someone that will not be the least bit effective for us. Rather have Maclin if we are taking a chance on someone with durability issues. Miles Austin wouldn't be a big risk either. Rice had one good season with Favre and nothing after that really.

Bringing him in on a prove it type deal where we can cut him in the preseason if he is not doing anything would be a good move imo. I always thought he had a lot of potential. Sadly, injuries have majorly derailed him from living up to even half of that. But just bringing him in as a camp body would definitely not hurt in the least.

I would prefer Jeremy Maclin or Danario Alexander over Sidney Rice. All three are similar and were out the 2013 season with an injury. I think we could get either Maclin or Alexander for a cheaper price with the same upside, maybe even more. I wouldn't want to spend a ton of money on Rice when we could draft a just as good receiver and use that money for other FA signings. 

I would prefer Jeremy Maclin or Danario Alexander over Sidney Rice. All three are similar and were out the 2013 season with an injury. I think we could get either Maclin or Alexander for a cheaper price with the same upside, maybe even more. I wouldn't want to spend a ton of money on Rice when we could draft a just as good receiver and use that money for other FA signings.

Maclin staying in philly

Maclin staying in philly

They might pass on his injury concerns and keep Cooper instead. from i've read, they cant resign both.

Edited by Bravens292

I'd be open to the idea.  I wouldn't say that Rice would stop us from drafting a receiver high, but he could be a nice buy low candidate.  I know we showed quite a bit of interest last time he was on the open market.  I just worry about all of those injuries.  I wouldn't invest too much into him considering we're likely to only get a few games out of him a year.  If he comes cheap, sure.

Absolutely Not.  Not the guy we need.  His not the guy to keep the chain moving and take the hits.   

Bringing him in on a prove it type deal where we can cut him in the preseason if he is not doing anything would be a good move imo. I always thought he had a lot of potential. Sadly, injuries have majorly derailed him from living up to even half of that. But just bringing him in as a camp body would definitely not hurt in the least.

I agree with this, but I think someone will pay him more than that. For the same reason teams overpaid (dramatically) for Ellerbe and Kruger in particular.

I wouldn't dismiss the idea. Only if he gets signed to a "prove it" contract. Something cheap for 1 year. But it depends on what direction the offense is going in. If we plan on running 4 WR's it could be a good signing. I don't think it's likely though.

I din't like him, he was never really that good. Now that person I would like to try on a 1 year "trial" deal is Nick Collins

I like the guys skill level, but not his injury history. I think he will be looking for money we can't afford. As well, if we did pick him up, it might mean that we would feel safe not taking a pass catcher early in the draft which would be a mistake. 

Depends on the price - just about every receiver on the market this year has a history of injury concerns.  Ideally if we were to sign someone, I'd hope it's someone young enough to stick around 3-4 years at least, but I think the best option is to address some other needs in free agency, maybe the offensive line, and draft a receiver and/or tight end.

If he signed the vet minimum with no guarantees then maybe but I'm not hip on the idea.

They might pass on his injury concerns and keep Cooper instead. from i've read, they cant resign both.

I am hearing that he is already resigned

I am 50/50 on this signing, could be an addition. But our own (few) receivers gonna be late in their development cause of the shift in adding rice.

If he signed the vet minimum with no guarantees then maybe but I'm not hip on the idea.

this

I am hearing that he is already resigned

Just rumors from a week ago. Doubt the eagles made up their minds on Maclin and Cooper that quickly. Cooper was very good for the Eagles last year.

He fits the style of our FO to pick up cut players. I like Sidney Rice--he seems to have developed a nice team mentality in Seattle and may be a solid role player here. He obviously needs to stay on the field. I think he will be very reasonably priced especially with all the other WRs on the market. Between him and Miles Austin (two guys who are injured and likely cuts) I would go Rice

Rice hasn't done anything noteworthy outside of that one season with Brett Favre.  I don't want him unless he's coming in at the veteran minimum.  He can't be relied upon.

One year cheap Ozzie deal is the only way this is feasible.

Sidney Rice falls under the Brett Favre category.

Over the years I've seen a few guys get 1 or 2 1,000 yd seasons with Favre then never do anything else.

Robert Brooks, Javon Walker, & Sidney Rice. Never quite became that top reliable guy after the great season.

High risk high reward guy. Could be a true number 1 if he could stay healthy but his injuries makes him a potential cheap( and possible a steal) WR in FA. Possible he could attract more of a one year low risk contract to see if he can stay healthy, could allow us to go get another guy like Alexander and see how they could all work out with Smith. TBH, I think we have maybe more holes than we may have picks that can upgrade the position needed (FS, TE, WR, RT, LT, C, LG, some of these depends on FA and if certain players can return). If we can pick up quality WRs in FA as well as a C, that sets us up for the ability to get other needs in the draft like TE and RT, and FS.

He has struggled with injuries, but in his one fill season as a starter with Brett Favre, he lit it up (and the Ravens in the process). He dropped off in Seattle due to them not being a heavy pass team. Couple that with injuries and he may not come too expensive. He'd be an awesome complimentary piece and might stop the need for a receiver so early. What do you all think?

Hell nah...If we get an injury prone WR we can go after Hakeem Nicks or Miles Austin. Brett Favre made Rice wayyy better than he truly was and obviously Sidney Rice seems to catch a cold or stub his toe and be out for extended periods of time. No thanks.

With his talent, you cant pass up on that. You add him, Torrey, and a new and improved front line? Flacco could make HUGE numbers next year.

I like the guys skill level, but not his injury history. I think he will be looking for money we can't afford. As well, if we did pick him up, it might mean that we would feel safe not taking a pass catcher early in the draft which would be a mistake. 

And our history here has been just that. Pick up an injury (histories) player only for him not return to form. Not a good equation and cheap players seemingly play cheaply in Baltimore. Not looking forward to watching that replay. Plus old players like the Dallas Clarks were released/cut/not tendered for a reason. Past there prime. Younger needs to be the route. IMHO  

Not a fan of Sidney Rice. Spends too much time injured on the side line and hasn't had a above mediocore season in years. It would have to be for pratically nothing.