Upcoming Events:  Lil Ravens Camp      Training Camp Stadium Practices      Movie Night   

Watch Training Camp LIVE Thursday at 8:30 am ET

Ravens training camp kicks off Thursday & we're bringing the action directly to you! News, analysis, giveaways and more! More info ยป
Close

Photo

LB Courtney Upshaw

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#1 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

Our first pick in the 2012 draft seems to be developing into the "B" word. He seems to be decent as a run defender but has yet to show anything in the pass rush department and overall does not really make a huge impact on defense like we all expected him to from day 1.  Through 2 seasons he has tallied 90 total tackles and 3 total sacks.

Will he ever develop into a great OLB for us...or continue to be a "so-so" rotational run defender?

Edited by Purple_ICE 81, 04 February 2014 - 10:47 AM.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#2 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

Our first pick in the 2012 draft seems to be developing into the "B" word. He seems to be decent as a run defender but has yet to show anything in the pass rush department and overall does not really make a huge impact on defense like we all expected him to from day 1.  Through 2 seasons he has tallied 90 total tackles and 3 total sacks.

Will he ever develop into a great OLB for us...or continue to be a "so-so" rotational run defender?

I don't think he will ever be a dominant pass rusher. I anticipate him having more problems with his weight. Could he play the 3 technique in our defense?

1Untitled_zps8afd95ac.pngbench_zps0a7ce32d.jpg

#3 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

I don't think Upshaw will develop until Suggs moves on. I don't think he will ever be a Suggs type pass rusher, but a Jarrett Johnson type is defiantly a possibility.
I don't think he has the length to play the 3 technique. He might get an opportunity if Art Jones move on, but I think he's better suited to stay at OLB.

#4 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

if Upshaw had become half the player the coaching staff expected him to be at this point, suggs would be cut and we would have a ton of extra cap space to work with, at this point he is a bust.

jimmy smith always showed his potential, and a majority of fans still knew he wasn't gonna be a bust and sooner or later he was going to put it all together, you just had that feeling when you watched him play, Upshaw on the other hand, has given us nothing. he is constantly out of shape and overweight, terrible conditioning, cant set the edge, zero burst, he was regarded as a "violent" and "strong" and "heavy handed" player who would be able to manhandle and bullrush lineman, and lay big hits, but he has done neither. he looks lazy, lost, confused, and disinterested on every snap. the only play I can recall where I was impressed, was his fumble in the SB, and that wasn't even very impressive, he got shook out of his jock, turned around and chased and blindsided a ballcarrier who had his forward progress stopped and was about to fall down as his ankles were wrapped up, and knocked the ball loose, good hustle, but once you diagnose the play, not that impressive, though it yielded huge results. in 2 seasons that is about all the good he has done, and one more bad season is gonna bring out the boo-bird in me, because ive seen nothing from him.

#5 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

He does the dirty work right now, a la Jarret Johnson.  Obviously he's not as good as JJ, but they're the same in the neither really ever gets credit for what they do.  I wouldn't say he's a bust, and he's certainly not living up to his draft spot, but he's a serviceable rotational player right now that still has time to improve.  Don't write him off yet.  He's played well.  He's just not flashy.

Proud Owner/GM/Coach of the Portland Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

#6 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

He's not a bust.  A disappointment sure, but he's not a bust.  He played extremely well his rookie year.

This board is insane sometimes

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#7 TwinRivers

TwinRivers

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

A real star would want to show all 32 teams that they were wrong by not picking him in the first round.

#8 BOLDnPurPnBlacK

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Bust? Really?

And I disagree that "most" of the board believed Jimmy Smith would develop. I don't remember many, if any, at all. He was already labeled a bust by most.

Knocking Upshaw for not having shown much in the pass rushing department is ridiculous considering the limited opportunities hes had. It's not his strong suit and probably never will be, but when you have guys the caliber of Kruger and Dumervil at the position, the fact of the matter is that he wont get those opportunities.

The fact that he was the starter over both Kruger and Dumervil in most occasions shows that the coaching staff like him better as an all around defender. Has he played up to the expectations yet? Maybe not, but part of that is fans having unreal expectations. Labeling him a bust only serves to prove that point.

He's played very well at times, and just ok at others, but he's 2 years in and his rookie year played pretty much every position on the defense. Let the dude get settled in.... he's going to be a very good player for us. Not a Suggs, but whoever said JJ hit it right on (who was never heralded in our D, just did the dirty work, and we saw how much we missed his presence once he left).

Start Dumervil and have him play 3 downs and then youll actually be able to see Upshaw's contribution.
Google me.

#9 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,082 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

Went farrrr to early. Was never going to be a good pass rusher

#10 Donte19

Donte19

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

Im kinda ready for the guy to go...im biased of course, didnt want him in the first place. He do, do the dirty work that is true, but not flashy and not impressive. His strong suit is the pass rush, he played the RUSH linebacker spot, he isnt on the field for passing downs however so who knows what he can do right. Still you want to see him bust throught the line and get a tackle for a loss, shed off a tackle or guard and hit the RB. That is what is missing. 

#11 Purple Punishment

Purple Punishment

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,302 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Who is the last Alabama defender to play well in the pros? Marcel Dareus?

Upshaw was the one that made LaMichael James fumble in the Super Bowl when SF was driving. Remember that!
"Im Pissed Off For Greatness" -Ray Lewis

PSN: RobtasticVoyage

#12 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

He's an edge setter almost in the exact mould of JJ. His value in this department is vastly under appreciated, as well as the fact that he has proven to be very durable. Does he jump off the screen with fantastic pass rush moves? No. But is he a solid contributor to the success of the defense who frees space up for others? Yes.

'Bust' would be a ridiculous thing to label him at this point, and it's not as if he was a top 15 pick. He also made a huge play on the forced fumble in the SB last year, but people seem to forget quickly. 

Edited by TDubbs, 04 February 2014 - 01:01 PM.

#13 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

I wouldn't say bust, but major disappointment is fair.

He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is always working hard to get better.

@gabefergy

#14 Purple Punishment

Purple Punishment

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,302 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

I wouldn't say bust, but major disappointment is fair.

He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is always working hard to get better.

How would you know that? Do you live in his neighborhood? Do you know him? That's ridiculous to say such a thing
"Im Pissed Off For Greatness" -Ray Lewis

PSN: RobtasticVoyage

#15 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

How would you know that? Do you live in his neighborhood? Do you know him? That's ridiculous to say such a thing

Well... coming into OTAs 20 pounds overweight certainly lends to Gabe's view.

He hasn't really toned up or anything since going into the pro's. He's strong as hell but he still has a really thick midsection, and he's not too quick. 

I would have expected him to cut his midsection a bit to gain some quickness. 

Upshaw is technically sound and one of the few guys on our defense that was capable of laying the wood. At times, he bullied tackles and lit up running backs. I do think he's been a disappointment, though. He has a lot of potential, but that won't be reached until he decides to cut down on his gut. 

Edited by The Raven, 04 February 2014 - 01:10 PM.

#16 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,413 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

Was worth the pick since he forced that fumble in the Super Bowl. But really, He is kind've a disappointment. With Suggs and Doom I don't expect his playing time to change that much from last year.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#17 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,082 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

Well... coming into OTAs 20 pounds overweight certainly lends to Gabe's view.

He hasn't really toned up or anything since going into the pro's. He's strong as hell but he still has a really thick midsection, and he's not too quick. 

I would have expected him to cut his midsection a bit to gain some quickness. 

Upshaw is technically sound and one of the few guys on our defense that was capable of laying the wood. At times, he bullied tackles and lit up running backs. I do think he's been a disappointment, though. He has a lot of potential, but that won't be reached until he decides to cut down on his gut.

this, he has elite strength and hands, but he's lazy, doesn't work hard in the offseason by all accounts, is too heavy and slow

#18 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Repeat problems with keeping his weight down are pretty glaring indications the effort is not there.

@gabefergy

#19 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

this, he has elite strength and hands, but he's lazy, doesn't work hard in the offseason by all accounts, is too heavy and slow

It's kind of weird, because Alabama has a grueling strength and conditioning program. Saban has his guys in tip-top shape. Yet, Terrence Cody, Upshaw, and (I think I heard) DJ Fluker with the Chargers have all had some issues with weight.

Weight is the only thing holding Upshaw back from being a pro bowl player. 

#20 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,082 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

It's kind of weird, because Alabama has a grueling strength and conditioning program. Saban has his guys in tip-top shape. Yet, Terrence Cody, Upshaw, and (I think I heard) DJ Fluker with the Chargers have all had some issues with weight.

Weight is the only thing holding Upshaw back from being a pro bowl player.

that's assuming that when/if he loses weight he will gain quickness, while the too should be related I've never seen upshaw as quick, ever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users