Ravens Schedule Coming Today!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule today at 8:00 pm ET. More Info ยป
Close

Photo

Peyton Manning's offensive line

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 mdrsharon

mdrsharon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

As evidenced in this Super Bowl - Peyton Manning could not get his act together - at all!

Where was his O line? He is usually a maniac running back and forth and all that yelling.

OF course the rest of the team ( defense especially ) didn't show up either, but after all the acclaim and media saying how great Peyton is, Eli still has more SB rings.

Wilson had several plays where he had all day to throw.

O line is essential.

Let's get the Ravens a great one and let Flacco do what he has the ability to do... WIN!!!

#2 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,377 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

He didn't appear to be as vocal as usual, was the noise a problem?  I heard Seahawks fans might have outnumbered Broncos fans more than we outnumbered the 49ers fans last year.

Still, his OL has been overrated for most of the year, they haven't been good since Clady got hurt.  Really, Manning has to do all of those short routes and hope his receivers get big yardage from those because he doesn't have a lot of time in pass protection.  I do wonder if it would have been a different game and a different season if Ryan Clady didn't get hurt.  You could see how easily the Broncos OL was dominated last night though, Franklin, Vasquez, and Ramirez were all quite bad last night.  But I sort of expected that, the Seahawks have a lot of depth and talent along the defensive line.

#3 mdrsharon

mdrsharon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

My point is that the O line is essential to winning games.

Gotta let the QB direct the game, no matter how fast they get the ball off.

We need to take notes.

#4 Tank 92

Tank 92

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:54 PM

Flacco haters take note; The broncs failure is a prime example that ANY QB no matter who they are, needs the support of their team mates to succeed, most importantly the O line.

Edited by Tank 92, 04 February 2014 - 01:50 PM.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#5 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

Wanted to get this in before this get's shut down...........

Flacco haters take note; The broncs failure is a prime example that ANY QB no matter who they are, needs the support of their team mates to succeed, most importantly the O line.

They should have seen that after the 2007 Super Bowl, when the THEN best statistical offense of all time was straight mugged by 4 down lineman and limited to 14 points.

#6 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

Aside from the o line, which wasn't as bad as people will make it, do you think Manning actually played a good game regardless? He was exposed. His lack of arm strength hindered the team. It looked like the Seahawks said we won't let you beat us underneath or with the bubble screens, and if you can beat us deep try it. He played a bad game and honestly, the Broncos didn't seem prepared for the noise.

#7 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

Why would this get shut down?All he's saying is that we need to place a sense of urgency on getting Flacco a better O line.

Edited by HomeoftheBRAVENS, 03 February 2014 - 09:53 PM.

#8 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

They should have seen that after the 2007 Super Bowl, when the THEN best statistical offense of all time was straight mugged by 4 down lineman and limited to 14 points.

Though he was slowed down, Brady didn't hurt his team with his play.

It won't be shut down, but moves because it doesn't have to do with the Ravens.

Edited by redrum52, 03 February 2014 - 09:56 PM.

#9 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,377 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

Someone pointed out today that the Pats were up when Brady left the field in his losses.  And those were quality, close games.

Edited by T3hRaven, 03 February 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#10 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

Aside from the o line, which wasn't as bad as people will make it, do you think Manning actually played a good game regardless? He was exposed. His lack of arm strength hindered the team. It looked like the Seahawks said we won't let you beat us underneath or with the bubble screens, and if you can beat us deep try it. He played a bad game and honestly, the Broncos didn't seem prepared for the noise.

that's exactly what I saw last night too, and I think we should look at the seahawks philosophy on defense more than we should look at the o-line, because our o-line is a personnel issue and either we find the players we need or we end up with another bad o-line, simple as that. but if you look at how dean pees calls his plays, it almost seems as if hes the exact opposite and says "you wont beat us with big plays" like hes fine with teams dink and dunking down the field until theyre in the red zone, and I say to hell with that, you let jimmy be a press-man shutdown corner, let webb shut down the slot, and take away the small ball, force them to send folks deep and take shots, which leads to pressure/sacks/picks etc.

seattle had a genius and ballsy defensive gameplan, and I hope dean pees was taking notes because the ravens could do the same thing

#11 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

No but with Randy Moss still in his prime, Welker and Stallworth he should have put up more than 14 against a secondary with guys you can't name.

#12 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:55 AM

No but with Randy Moss still in his prime, Welker and Stallworth he should have put up more than 14 against a secondary with guys you can't name.

Questionable to say if Moss was in his prime and Stallworth wasn't exactly a top flight receiver either.  When Brady left the field his team was up.  It took one of the greatest plays in SB history, a dropped pick from Samuel and one of the dumbest defensive plays (leaving Hobbs 1-1 with Plax) for the Giants to win.  And say what you want, but go back and watch those games.  The entire Giants defense stepped up during that run.  Webster played some of the best ball of his career and Ross did a decent job as well.

#13 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:06 AM

well said . I would only add that I think we have some options already on the roster and I think the fo knows we need to fix it.  Flacco won games despite having swiss cheese as an offensive line most people forget that or refuse to see it .

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

#14 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,377 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:09 AM

Questionable to say if Moss was in his prime and Stallworth wasn't exactly a top flight receiver either.  When Brady left the field his team was up.  It took one of the greatest plays in SB history, a dropped pick from Samuel and one of the dumbest defensive plays (leaving Hobbs 1-1 with Plax) for the Giants to win.  And say what you want, but go back and watch those games.  The entire Giants defense stepped up during that run.  Webster played some of the best ball of his career and Ross did a decent job as well.

When you set the NFL record for touchdown receptions in a single season, that probably means you're in your prime.  I agree with your overall assessment though.  Talent wise, they weren't as stacked as people would lead you to believe.  And let's not forget the helmet catch from David Tyree.  Luck played a MAJOR factor in that Super Bowl, and the Giants had a good defense.  I don't think you can pin 2007 on Brady.

#15 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:57 AM

When you set the NFL record for touchdown receptions in a single season, that probably means you're in your prime.  I agree with your overall assessment though.  Talent wise, they weren't as stacked as people would lead you to believe.  And let's not forget the helmet catch from David Tyree.  Luck played a MAJOR factor in that Super Bowl, and the Giants had a good defense.  I don't think you can pin 2007 on Brady.

I think the system and the drive that team had was a major reason for the numbers.  Brady and Belicheck were on a mission to humiliate teams cause of spy gate.  They essentially would stomp you even when you were already in the fetal position bloody.  Moss came into the league scoring 17 tds as a rookie, so I'm not sure you can really say that the year he was there was his prime.

#16 Pats

Pats

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:02 AM

Well let's not forget the giants beat green bay in green bay, dallas in dallas and tampa bay en route to a superbowl win so they had underdog momentum for a while and they almost ruined our regular season unbeaten record in week 17. Also we had a lot of old guys on defense in particular and we slowed int he way we we're beating opponents in the 2nd half of the season. No team was gonna beat new york that post season, not pittsburgh, not baltimore not indy no one. 

#17 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

As evidenced in this Super Bowl - Peyton Manning could not get his act together - at all!

Where was his O line? He is usually a maniac running back and forth and all that yelling.

OF course the rest of the team ( defense especially ) didn't show up either, but after all the acclaim and media saying how great Peyton is, Eli still has more SB rings.

Wilson had several plays where he had all day to throw.

O line is essential.

Let's get the Ravens a great one and let Flacco do what he has the ability to do... WIN!!!

Well honestly the Broncos had a pretty poor o-line talent wise throughout the year mainly due to the fact that they lost all pro LT Ryan Clady for the season.After they lost Clady there was a lot of speculation that Manning would get beat up and rattled for the rest of the season. Still Peyton wasnt sacked very much and their offense remained effective. I think what made Peyton not get rattled so much throughout the season...and not even TOUCHED at all in the playoffs was his receiving corps that he had. It takes him about 2 seconds to find an open receiver be it Julius or Damariyus Thomas, Welker, Decker, Caldwell, Moreno, Ball Tamme etc. And for that reason by the time you would get at him he would already find an open man. Seattle knew the Broncos o-line wasnt that great which is why they hardly brought the blitz and instead simply let their d-line do the work and they still got after Manning quite a bit They only brought the blitz 6 times of the 50 Manning drop backs, and it was because they knew they could cover the Broncos receivers and for the most part they did.

What I took away from this was that if you have great receivers it can really really help out your o-line...but also even the great QBs like Peyton Manning cant make everyone on offense better like so many people think. So to say adding a better o-line and receivers for Joe Flacco will make him better is very safe to say and evident.

Edited by Purple_ICE 81, 04 February 2014 - 10:35 AM.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#18 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

Moss set a record for individual TDs that year...he may have been at the end of his prime, but he was still running past 2 and 3 guys at a time.  He was not old that year.

They played their best ball because the Giants front 4 with Strahan, Tuck and Umenyiora were wrecking Olines and ruining gameplans.  

Brady was up ya, after scoring a measly 14 points with the greatest offense of all time.  Thats not exactly getting it done.  Brady laughed in his presser when told Plexiglass thought they could only score 14 on the Giants defense.

#19 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,631 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

Can you imagine the comments these people would make if Flacco was as inaccurate as Manning was on all those passes that traveled more than ten yards???

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)
Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP
Farewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!

If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#20 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,631 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

I think the system and the drive that team had was a major reason for the numbers. Brady and Belicheck were on a mission to humiliate teams cause of spy gate. They essentially would stomp you even when you were already in the fetal position bloody. Moss came into the league scoring 17 tds as a rookie, so I'm not sure you can really say that the year he was there was his prime.

Moss set the record for WR TD that year, and followed it up with 13 more the following year. I think it's safe to say he was in his prime

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)
Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP
Farewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!

If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users