Ravens Schedule Coming Wednesday!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule on Wednesday, April 23rd at 8:00 pm ET.
Close

Photo

Ricky Wagner

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

I look at plenty of mock drafts and free agent threads around the web and I notice a trend of people saying we need a right tackle, and they rank it pretty highly.
Maybe the Ravens do, but have we forgotten about Ricky Wagner? Wasn't he supposed to have a second round or higher grade before injuries or something? I know he didn't play well in his first game, but he played well when he was asked to play in jumbo packages. He has the athleticism and length to play tackle, and could be a great fit for the ZBS.
Why aren't more people talking about him? Do you think he could start?

#2 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

I look at plenty of mock drafts and free agent threads around the web and I notice a trend of people saying we need a right tackle, and they rank it pretty highly.
Maybe the Ravens do, but have we forgotten about Ricky Wagner? Wasn't he supposed to have a second round or higher grade before injuries or something? I know he didn't play well in his first game, but he played well when he was asked to play in jumbo packages. He has the athleticism and length to play tackle, and could be a great fit for the ZBS.
Why aren't more people talking about him? Do you think he could start?

Because most so called experts only know about the starts on any team. I actually think bot Wagner and Reid will compete at RT with a Vet. I don't think we're going oline (RT) early. I think both Wagner and Reid fit Kubiak's sysytem really well and strongly feel one of those guys will be our RT next year.
Posted Image

#3 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

Because most so called experts only know about the starts on any team. I actually think bot Wagner and Reid will compete at RT with a Vet. I don't think we're going oline (RT) early. I think both Wagner and Reid fit Kubiak's sysytem really well and strongly feel one of those guys will be our RT next year.

Wagner will get a chance, Reid will be kept until the end of his contract and then not brought back.  An awful 3rd round pick.

Think they may actually look long and hard at bringing in a guy like Winston to show the rest of the line how to actually zone block.

#4 Ravenskid52752

Ravenskid52752

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

The Ravens are very high on ricky and i wouldn't mind plus he did get some playing experience in game one and which was much needed of him to see how he would do yes he gave up 2 sacks but look who he was going up against shaun phillips how had 10 sacks this year and on the drive that we score with marlon first NFL TD he shutdown Phillips the whole drive so he has some promise. i think he has to get stronger to get more push in the run game so he needs add 10 pounds of muscle and i think he can be  the guy.

#5 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

I don't like Jah Reid at all, but I think Ricky Wagner shows a lot of promise and can be the right tackle of the future. I sure hope so because that makes drafting an offensive lineman a lower priority and allows us to hit receiver and tight end early.

#6 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

The Ravens are very high on ricky and i wouldn't mind plus he did get some playing experience in game one and which was much needed of him to see how he would do yes he gave up 2 sacks but look who he was going up against shaun phillips how had 10 sacks this year and on the drive that we score with marlon first NFL TD he shutdown Phillips the whole drive so he has some promise. i think he has to get stronger to get more push in the run game so he needs add 10 pounds of muscle and i think he can be  the guy.

Going against a very seasoned veteran in your first game where you weren't expecting to get thrown into action has to be tough. No one can fault him for that. He showed promise by getting better as the game went on.

#7 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

Forgot Jah was on the team......

#8 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,148 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

Rick Wagner is the reason I think we don't draft a tackle high. I think we sign a cheap vet and let Wagner grow into the starting role. The coaches are high on Wagner and I think Kubiak will like him. 

#9 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

It's easy to forget a player who literally never plays

#10 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

Rick Wagner is the reason I think we don't draft a tackle high. I think we sign a cheap vet and let Wagner grow into the starting role. The coaches are high on Wagner and I think Kubiak will like him.

I like him a lot, too. I think it is very likely we target Eric Winston to be a mentor and help Ricky since Eric already knows Kubiak's scheme. I have faith in the young kid.

#11 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

He actually had quite a few chances to play in the extra OLine packages. He just didn't have a chance to start cuz he was behind Oher. I'm pretty sure he didn't play in a Kubiak style of offense in college so he may need another year to learn behind someone. I personally don't like Winston. He's known to be very outspoken and has played for 3 teams in 3 years. That says something to me.

#12 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

He actually had quite a few chances to play in the extra OLine packages. He just didn't have a chance to start cuz he was behind Oher. I'm pretty sure he didn't play in a Kubiak style of offense in college so he may need another year to learn behind someone. I personally don't like Winston. He's known to be very outspoken and has played for 3 teams in 3 years. That says something to me.

I was reading in his profile that he can do a man or stretch zone scheme and actually excels in both because of his strength, hustle, and lateral quickness in the run game.

#13 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

I was reading in his profile that he can do a man or stretch zone scheme and actually excels in both because of his strength, hustle, and lateral quickness in the run game.

You have to ask yourself why Andy Reid let him go. He runs zone stretch to the max. He chose to let Winston go who still had years on his contract, franchize tag Brenden Albert and draft Eric Fisher with the 1st pick of the draft and why is his current team not resigning him.

#14 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

You have to ask yourself why Andy Reid let him go. He runs zone stretch to the max. He chose to let Winston go who still had years on his contract, franchize tag Brenden Albert and draft Eric Fisher with the 1st pick of the draft and why is his current team not resigning him.

Should have specified that I was talking about Wagner, not Winston

#15 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

Should have specified that I was talking about Wagner, not Winston

Lol. Wagner should be given 1st shot.

#16 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

It's easy to forget a player who literally never plays

You know you're bad when the team would rather play the backup center out of position than put you in.

#17 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,022 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

Even as president of the Rick Wagner fan club, I'd still question starting him right away.  If you take him into camp and he beats out his competition, so be it.  I just haven't seen enough of him overall to be comfortable with him being the starter.  He had a rough time against the Broncos in week 1 (which is kind of expected), but played well as the 6th blocker.  The problem with anointing him starter is that you take away a stellar 6th OL and a quality backup at LT and RT.  If the team feels that he is the best option though, I'd be okay with that.  I think Wagner is a case of a guy that we should all want/need to see more before we determine if he's ready to step up and step in.

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#18 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

when wagner first went in against Denver, I was excited about getting to see him play so early, and my excitement died down.. VERY quickly. but he got the jitters out and played average after a few bad plays. the coaching staff seemed so high on him from day 1 and he is from Wisconsin who is just a NFL OLine factory. im excited about the possibility of what he could be, but not exactly confident about it. I would definitely wanna bring in a vet RT, not a big name, just someone who could be solid in case plan A doesn't work out, like a willie Anderson type of signing

#19 BOLDnPurPnBlacK

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

Im surprised I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but I could see KO starting at RT. He played well there (better than at LG if you ask me) in his rookie season, and it's easier/cheaper to find a LG than RT.

I don't think Wagner is ready to start yet, but then again it's a new year with a new offensive coaching staff. There could be a lot of changes coming.
Google me.

#20 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,199 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

Show him the broom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users