Photo

Could RB Bernard Pierce make a serious push for starter in 2014?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 cushrinada1986

cushrinada1986

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

I know Rice is still under his 5yr/$35m contract(which is about half way through) but I see a possibility for Bernard to really step up and not just grab more touches from Rice this year, but allow Rice to also save his body by then being used as more of utility player in the run/pass scheme rather than a full time back. Here are some points:

1. With Kubiak coming in with his zone scheme, this should provide our run game with a serious boost. Having Juan still on board, even though it was a bright spot last year, could really explode when you add juans knowledge of the zone run with Kubiaks.   

2. The similarities between Kubiaks old RB in Foster and our own Bernard Pierce is one to take notice of as well. Similar in size and speed( Bernard being a little faster and Foster being slightly heavier), they also have matching running styles as seen in the videos below:

Bernard:

http://www.baltimore...3a-dd18ff60fd41

Foster:

that similarity in running styles, along with a potentially heavier Oline in 2014 will provide a lot of opportunity for Bernard to snatch snaps away from Rice. The two only real issues Bernard still has which may keep him from the starting role would be his receiving ability and pass blocking, both can be corrected by this offseason.

3. Alot of Bernards opportunity may also come this year due to certain stipulations in Rices 5yr-$35M contract, As described in the link below:

http://www.nationalf...is-touches.html

4.Lastly, being able to save money on Rice, as well as save him for years to come by putting Bernard in the forefront for carries just about completes Johns want in having every type of back available. As in a previous conference, John mentioned having as many backs as possible with as many different skills sets as possible and with Bernard being the one-cut balanced speed/power back, Rice being the quick/speedster/receiving back, they are only missing one more piece to the puzzle, a power back. For that, I believe Andre Williams from Boston College(slated to go in the early part of the 4th round). I would think one or even two of our compensatory picks that we get this year could help get us in position to get him, he would be a huge help in goal line runs and can really push the pile:

You add all these elements together and you dont just get an awesome running attack but more years on Rices career, Bernard getting more touches, and a monster power back getting the needed short yardage, and we havent even talked about Torrey and how they are gonna help out. What say you Ravens nation?

#2 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

since when did it become so established amongst our fanbase that pierce isnt a "powerful" back? take another look at his rookie season and watch LB's and DT's bounce off of him like a tennis ball on a regular basis and come back and tell me he isnt a powerback.

#3 redrum52

redrum52

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,140 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

I personally think BP is better suited for this system and will thrive in it.  I could easily see him out producing Rice if they are both given equal opportunities.  He's been the better pure runner and seems to invite contact.  He also see's the hole and doesn't dance around it.

#4 Stephenjr

Stephenjr

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

I know Rice is still under his 5yr/$35m contract(which is about half way through) but I see a possibility for Bernard to really step up and not just grab more touches from Rice this year, but allow Rice to also save his body by then being used as more of utility player in the run/pass scheme rather than a full time back. Here are some points:

1. With Kubiak coming in with his zone scheme, this should provide our run game with a serious boost. Having Juan still on board, even though it was a bright spot last year, could really explode when you add juans knowledge of the zone run with Kubiaks.   

2. The similarities between Kubiaks old RB in Foster and our own Bernard Pierce is one to take notice of as well. Similar in size and speed( Bernard being a little faster and Foster being slightly heavier), they also have matching running styles as seen in the videos below:

Bernard:

http://www.baltimore...3a-dd18ff60fd41

Foster:

that similarity in running styles, along with a potentially heavier Oline in 2014 will provide a lot of opportunity for Bernard to snatch snaps away from Rice. The two only real issues Bernard still has which may keep him from the starting role would be his receiving ability and pass blocking, both can be corrected by this offseason.

3. Alot of Bernards opportunity may also come this year due to certain stipulations in Rices 5yr-$35M contract, As described in the link below:

http://www.nationalf...is-touches.html

4.Lastly, being able to save money on Rice, as well as save him for years to come by putting Bernard in the forefront for carries just about completes Johns want in having every type of back available. As in a previous conference, John mentioned having as many backs as possible with as many different skills sets as possible and with Bernard being the one-cut balanced speed/power back, Rice being the quick/speedster/receiving back, they are only missing one more piece to the puzzle, a power back. For that, I believe Andre Williams from Boston College(slated to go in the early part of the 4th round). I would think one or even two of our compensatory picks that we get this year could help get us in position to get him, he would be a huge help in goal line runs and can really push the pile:

You add all these elements together and you dont just get an awesome running attack but more years on Rices career, Bernard getting more touches, and a monster power back getting the needed short yardage, and we havent even talked about Torrey and how they are gonna help out. What say you Ravens nation?

It all depends on the O-Line, and if Pierce can stay healthy. He seems like he has great potential, but is too darn Soft!

#5 Stephenjr

Stephenjr

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

since when did it become so established amongst our fanbase that pierce isnt a "powerful" back? take another look at his rookie season and watch LB's and DT's bounce off of him like a tennis ball on a regular basis and come back and tell me he isnt a powerback.

He just can't absorb the hits. He will never be a starter unless his durability can get better.

#6 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

I think the first question is can he stay healthy enough to be effective in all 16 games?  I think it's more likely he and Rice split carries evenly than him getting the starting job.

#7 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

I'm pretty sure neither Pierce/Rice has done well last season.   On top of that Pierce has been rigged w/ more injuries.  His prone to get injured w/ more carries.   

More likely than not Rice will be back on a productive level as a primary back, with Pierce being back on his 2012 form "IF" we can have our lineman perform like we have pre-Castillo days.    

#8 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

I think they will both tote the rock a lot. I expect a bounce back from Rice.

Blitz every down! It's the only way to win!

#9 waxytaxi

waxytaxi

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

if he stays healthy then he has every opportunity to earn the spot

#10 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

Pierce just needs to stay healthy.  If he can he's the HB you give the majority of carries to, regardless if Rice comes back leaned out.

Pierce has guys bounce off him, stiff arms guys, runs through arm tackles.

All things Rice doesnt.

#11 baltimorefan328

baltimorefan328

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

I doubt Pierce would be the starter in Kubiak's system unless he becomes a much larger receiving threat as well. Arian foster did it all for him in Houston and i think averaged like over 1800 yards from scrimmage for 3 years in a row or something like that. Kubiak's system needs a starting running back who can catch. However I do think Pierce's running style in general fits this system well. I think this question will be put to Rest assuming Rice comes out of the gates in training camp the way hes been talking himself up so far

#12 OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

I think we need a new downhill north south bruiser back. Tired of this finesse bs, when its 3rd and 2, I want a back that will get the first on the ground. Currently that guy is Not on the roster.
DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!

#13 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

Whoever does better in training camp deserves the most reps. If Rice is done, take the L and use the better back. Only suffer financially instead of suffering on the field. We have the luxury of having a great young back up if he stays healthy.

But I have high expectations for Rice next season....Potential to become a candidate for comeback player of the year if we add some quality OL. Must get him back in the passing game if he's up for it.

#14 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Pierce has serious talent but it's his lack of durability that will hold him back, for that reason alone he'll be a complementary piece and never a workhorse.

#15 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

Pierce isn't a power back bro. He doesn't shy away from contact, but he's more elusive than powerful. Has great burst. 

z66oxxi.jpg

#16 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

Pierce runs upright, so when we feed him those power plays he gets hurt. Give him his zone stretch runs and he will be as good as advertised. Temple knew what was up: 

z66oxxi.jpg

#17 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

What rice does well, Pierce does well in other things.    The best duo to complement each other.

All that seems like a long time ago.   Castillo came in and suddenly we gained the worst run game/oline game in Ravens history.   

#18 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

Nah...I expect an absolute bounce back and career year out of Ray Rice. I am putting all the pressure on Ray to go harder than has ever gone this offseason and get into the shape of his life, get his hunger for excellence back and thrive in this run heavy offense next season.

And if he does not...we will cut him. I love Ray Rice and feel like he has become a staple to our team not just as a playmaker but as a personality as well. I feel like he learned alot from his old locker neighbor and best buddy Ray Lewis and would hate to see him go. 

Im calling 2013 a fluke and think we will see Ray Rice in Honolulu next year if were not in the super bowl. 

Edited by Purple_ICE 81, 02 February 2014 - 08:48 AM.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#19 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

Bernard Pierce needs to prove he can do more than just excel with the ball in open space before he can be a starter. He needs to get in the gym and add some muscle so he can take the beatings that comes with a starters workload.

I fully predict him to emulate his rookie year stats (maybe a little better) while continuing to be Rice's change of pace back.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#20 Tru11

Tru11

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

let him proof he can stay healthy first.

unless he can proof that there is no way he will become the lead back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users